Options

ATTN: Smelly Nerds

2»

• Options
    pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hope I didn't smell. Showered 2 times a day, and changed clothes each time. However, within 20 minutes of being at the expo, I was dripping with sweat head-to-toe. My car on the other hand reeks. 16 hours of driving there, and 22 hours driving back (made a side-trip to Reno), the smell is quite fierce.

pjarvi on
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm convinced a small animal died in the Omeganaut and their +1 area during the concerts on Saturday. I think it was the guy with all the plastic bullets. He was wearing the same shirt all weekend.

Lach on
  • Options
    jeruvinjeruvin Minneapolis, MN (USA)Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    I didn't have a chance to sweat - I'm about 5'10 and 160lbs - with not enough fat on me to insulate myself. The AC has had me in a near hypothermic state for 3 days. It's bloody cold in here.

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who thought it was a bit cold. I wore a hoodie most of the weekend and that helped.

Other posts have made me think that a company could make a special edition antiperspirant with enough power to quell the stench of 10,000 geeks/nerds. Perhaps they could have a booth and give out prizes and free samples. They could put a "Official PAX Anti-Stink Stick" label on it with a comic on the back.

jeruvin on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i noticed a lot of people wearing the same clothes ever day...

dear god dude, they give you free shirts! change your fucking clothes!

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    DoppelgamerDoppelgamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I showered and changed clothing every morning, but the guys I stayed with didn't bother with showers :|

On a side note, the most disgusting thing that happened was one morning my friends ambushed me with a can of axe. I got a point-blank shot to the chest and forearm of pure axe. That stuff is so freakin' strong, even if it doesn't smell that bad.

Doppelgamer on
    dopplegamer.png
    Entire game list (more than likely to be out of date)
    --Doppelgamer
  • Options
    ShaukShauk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yeah see, i changed and showered every day. in fact I carried my deodorant on me in my backpack so I could just slap more on if I felt it wasn't doing its job.

seriously just bring some with you, it weighs a few ounces and saves you from being "that guy"

Shauk on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Sumi wrote: »
    There must be something about pax. TWICE I forgot to put on deodorant. Luckily I'm a girl and I hardly ever smell, so it wasn't noticeable.
    People noticed but they were just being polite.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Crit_FailCrit_Fail Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hoolie wrote: »
    The Enforcers ought to have the power to turn away people whose smell is especially offensive and who obviously haven't showered for a few days. It ruins it for other people.

Maybe they're people who didn't get a hotel room and just snuck around all night in the Convention Center all weekend...

I think that perhaps, on a friendlier note, this concept could be combined with the hygiene sponsorships that somebody mentioned earlier. Perhaps the Enforcers could be armed with various body-sprays or travel-size deodorants and could enforce the usage of these things when needed. Imagine that! "Hey, man. Do me a favor - raise your arms." *spray* "Turn around?" *spray* Or travel-size deodorant for asthmatics like me who might have trouble with dozens of people getting sprayed at once.

We could also take this on as a community and show up with car air fresheners to hang around the necks of the most offensive offenders.

=D

-- CF

Crit_Fail on
    "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think." - Horace Walpole
  • Options
    AlaskaAlaska Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was dressed as Jill Valentine (blue tank top, short skirt, ect. ) and I was freezing in the convention center. The Neskimos gave me a free shirt to warm up in though, and some bawls. They rock especially Dan! I helped them sell T-shirts and gave out free hugs. Anyway, yeah I appreciated the air conditioning but it was defiantly up too high. I'm from Alaska for goodness sake, and I was cold.

Alaska on
    Some know me as Alaska.
    Others know me as..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah the concerts were the worst. Being packed together with a bunch of people who seemed to have trouble bathing regularly was difficult, especially when you end up next to somebody who obviously is very out of shape because walking around all day can be really hard, and can result in a lot of sweating.
    This is pretty much any concert, though.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only time i sweated during the entire weekend was when I was dancing during the Freezepop concert.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ugh. I'm tired of all the "lol PAXers smell" posts.

Even if it's true. Thing is, I don't think the majority of it really is anyone's fault. PAX makes you sweat, and if you have even a hint of social anxiety (which a lot of nerds do) it's going to be that extra-stinky nervous sweat. Add lousy nutrition and stress (even happy stress) and digestion is going to go wonky. People smell in situations like that. I found the body spray to be more obnoxious than the BO, but it was a close battle.

My brother is Asperger's (autistic) and hates bathing. He has to be nagged into doing it--there's something about the sensation of it that he dislikes. Since he can't smell himself, and is oblivious to social pressures, he just doesn't get it.* Gaming tends to attract people on the spectrum, so there's bound to be a few people who genuinely don't bathe enough.

*My brother is an extreme case. Most Aspergers don't smell. The greasy stinkballs wearing the same shirt day after day may just have some similar aversion to a break in familiar routine.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Samyel wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm tired of all the "lol PAXers smell" posts.

Even if it's true. Thing is, I don't think the majority of it really is anyone's fault. PAX makes you sweat, and if you have even a hint of social anxiety (which a lot of nerds do) it's going to be that extra-stinky nervous sweat. Add lousy nutrition and stress (even happy stress) and digestion is going to go wonky. People smell in situations like that.

It's not the sweat that smells bad.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    queentessqueentess Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Alaska wrote: »
    ...I appreciated the air conditioning but it was defiantly up too high. I'm from Alaska for goodness sake, and I was cold.

I was also freezing, but I'll take freezing over being too hot - that would cause odor problems that I don't even want to imagine with that kind of crowd. Think of the a/c as an odor deterrent.

I saw several camera-on-a-stick guys walking around, and especially in the main theater. Maybe next year we can have an Enforcer or two walk around the exhibition hall with Febreeze-on-a-stick! (That stuff really works, doesn't just cover up the smell.) And since it'll be on a stick up in the air, no problems with getting it in people's eyes!

queentess on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll echo that there wasn't much of a problem with odors during PAX. What I did smell was mainly farts, and in a crowd that large it's not always going to be feasible to run to a restroom just to bust one out, so I understand. I should add that I didn't attend any of the concerts so I don't know how bad it got in there and I've also been stuck in a vehicle for hours with a chronic farter during Rainier to Pacific. His farts are the worst I've ever experienced so perhaps I'm fart resistant. heh

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only time I noticed a smell, was in the saturday concert when everyone raised their arms. But thats too be expected with thousands of tightly packed gamers anyways. if it greatly offends you, stay out of the massive crowds, or hang out in the back of the room.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RoachypopsRoachypops Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    I never had too much difficulty with geekstench, but I came armed and ready just in case. Kept a spare can of Axe in my pack to spray myself down with in the hopes that it would overpower any other noxious fumes.

Roachypops on
  • Options
    julzeratorjulzerator Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    On the range of conventions I've been to, PAX had to have been the best smelling by far. No, really. Try going to GenCon some time, during the height of summer heat and humidity with the same issues as most gamers in this thread have complained about.

The worst smelling people I ran into were the street kids who kept walking through the convention center, and you really can't do anything about them.

Oh, and I was also in the Omegathon +1 area and have *no* idea what died up there. It smelled horrible!!

julzerator on
  • Options
    MarxMarx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok so I need to know... where exactly were you during the Freezepop concert? I'm curious whether you experienced the same horrific smells I did... front right side? I seriously thought someone had erm... messed their pants or something. Bleh.

I expected smelly people at the concerts. It's hard to expect otherwise, IMO. I certainly didn't want to leave the convention (especially on the first day) to go snag a shower just before the concert only to get sweaty again in all the shouting and jumping for Freezepop (I love them!). Rest assured though, I followed the 3 day 3 shower rule. ^_^

Marx on
    Space for rent.
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    just spray axe straight into your nose and you'll be fine. 9

Grath on
  • Options
    MarxMarx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Grath wrote: »
    just spray axe straight into your nose and you'll be fine. 9

That or your sinuses will start bleeding, rendering your sense of smell non-existent. Either way, I guess the problem is solved.

Marx on
    Space for rent.
This discussion has been closed.