As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firewall and other software

Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so, new computer next week means new software... My main concern is the firewall though. I use and have always used zonealarm, but big whoop, it won't work with nintendo wifi adapter... So I need something that is free, and does work with the adapter... And does a good job as firewall of course.
Next, I think I need some good multimedia programs... I've used winamp combined with divX something obscure I hardly use and something... I don't know. I just want something that isn't as messy.
I'm gonna run win XP pro SP2. Help is appreciated.

Burning Organ on

• Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I've got window's built in firewall turned off and I'm running the Comodo Firewall, which is free. It seems to do it's job very well, and I remember seeing a rather in-depth comparison chart of the major firewalls for a wide range of features and attacks, with Comodo doing extremely well.

For multimedia you will need 2 programs. Foobar2000 for audio. Sure, it's not the best looking (it's come a long way since way back when) but it'll play damn near any audio piece you throw at it, and it's got extensive features and customization ability, including replay-gain, limiters, etc. for the audiophile. For video, i used to be a die hard Video Lan Client (VLC) supporter, but recently i've been looking into Zoom Player. ZPlayer looks a lot nicer, but I think I recall it's DVD playback lacking for the free version, i forget. VLC is an extremely solid choice, plays every video i've come across (which is actually a wide range of file types, btw), but looks a little minimalist. Both foobar2000 and VLC are very low on the resource usage, unlike Winamp (freaking hog), which to me is extremely important. Music should be in the background, not slow the computer down.

BoomShake on