As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College Dorm Internet Is Broken

ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just moved into my new dorm, and my internet doesn't seem to be working. My roommate's is, and I plan to ask around here for further assistance, but in the meantime I wanted to see if there was anything you guys could suggest to get things rolling.

The internet is bestowed upon my computer via ethernet cable, and when I plug it in, it does show a connection. However, no internets get through. When I check the connection properties, I see that my computer is sending packets very, very slowly, but not receiving any. The internet is not coming through a router or anything, but from a simple port in the wall.

Anyone got some ideas? Thanks.

pygsig.png
Zeromus on

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Your university requires you to register with their network before you can use the lan. Usually they will direct you to their log-in page once you open your browser after connecting, via cable, to their network. Sometimes this doesn't work. Try removing your home page from your preferences and see if the browser will take you right to the page for the log-in and registration. If that doesn't work try rebooting with the network still plugged in. If that doesn't work look up your roommates history and see where he was sent when he registered on the network (will say something like bu.edu/network registration blah blah).

Chances are that if you're moving in today and the rest of the uni is moving in as well that the network will be, essentially, under attack from the frothing masses trying to connect. Keep at it.

If your uni gave you software to run on your system when you checked in then make sure you run that, oftentimes this will set-up your network for you.

(ps, I was an RA and had to go through this with about twenty out of every 100 residents every year at move-in and sometimes after christmas break. Happens and sometimes it takes a while to fix.)

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Further details,

Having tried my roomie's cable and port (which work with his computer), I've determined that the problem is probably with my laptop (since his stuff isn't working on my computer). Perhaps it's storing crap from my router at home? How do I fix? :(

And I'll try what you suggested, TheLong. Thanks

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sure, let me know what happens. It might help if I knew where you were going to school; they may have literature about their wired network for trouble shooting purposes.

But, chances are that they are trying to route all connections to the registration server and page and that may be the reason why you're not seeing much in the way of packet moving: they are all going to the same place and everyone in your local area network is probably trying to do the same thing that you are doing and, if it's an old network, may be bogging down the system altogether.

If worse comes to worst then chances are there is a someone on your floor (perhaps even your RA) who can help you, and, if there isn't then chances are there is someone there who knows someone who can help.

Good luck

PS. Make sure that you're connecting and registering through the wired network first before you try setting up any wireless network in your dorm room. Those can be an entirely different ball of wax.

Edit: because I have been up for too long and am losing track of my idioms.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can't think of any off the top fo my head but there's sites that will scans all your ports and tell you which are open and which are closed. That way you could narrow down if the dorm network's proxy is blocking your shit. Lots fo them block oddball ports to prevent file sharing from bogging down their system.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Further details,

Having tried my roomie's cable and port (which work with his computer), I've determined that the problem is probably with my laptop (since his stuff isn't working on my computer). Perhaps it's storing crap from my router at home? How do I fix? :(

You mean you can't connect with your roommates port?

It's probably filtered by MAC address (your network card's unique ID). Have you paid for access? Run through the proper registration? This stuff is usually not enabled by default.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does your new laptop run vista?

Katholic on
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It could be worse, yesterday morning at 615 someone on a construction site here on campus nailed a 12000 volt cable blacking out half the campus, and knocking out the servers for EVERYTHING on campus the meals, the bookstore, email, cable (which is still out) and god knows what else.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You have to register your MAC address.

Using a different port or cable isn't going to really answer any questions other than something's wrong with your cable or port. You can't assume that it's your laptop from there.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's possible the Tx rate I believe it's called is set wrong. I have had a similar problem in the past, you go into your network card properties until you find an area to set it wo 10mbps or 100, usually its set on automatic but in a few cases I've had to manually set it. Either one will connect, but won't give you access to the internet, so try each of the options, apply them, wait a few minutes, and try again.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's almost definitely that you haven't registered yet. You can't just plug in and go, otherwise I'd take my laptop to University ports whenever I could for that lightening fast connection.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I figured out what the problem was: I was port-forwarding at home, and had thus set my own IP and everything. Obviously that didn't work when I tried to connect here.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

Special thanks go to the creepy 4chan guy down the hall who checked my settings for me.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png