As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intolerant of the Intolerant?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    You don't want to promote favoritism, right?

It would be totally awesome if you could actually engage with the debate that's going on right now instead of the magical fairy tale debate against the big bad tolerance police in your head.

I am totally for favoritism, in fact. I think the guy who steals bread for his starving family should serve less time than the guy who steals bread to set on fire in front of a jew's house. I am truly sorry that this blows your mind.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I'd say that the older the jurisprudence probably the more in need it is of an update.

I don't see the magical awesomeness of having justice dispensed as if from a machine. Life is complicated and messy and sorting through it requires a system that has more nuance than "one size fits all."

But there is no way to truly assess a persons reasoning for a crime, and so punishment could be increased or decreased under false pretences.

Err... that's what trials are for. You know, that whole "reasonable doubt" thing?

Isn't that more to do with the judge assessing the crime as actually have happening though? As in, there is a reasonable doubt that the defendant may have been acting in self-defence.

I think the reasoning should only come into play in that circumstance, within the protection of oneself or of another. Other than that, someone beating someone because they're ugly, or they're unintelligent, or of a stereotype that person believes, shouldn't come into play.

Beating a minor sure, hang the fucker. Beat a woman sure, have the fucker raped.

Johannen on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It would be totally awesome if you could actually engage with the debate that's going on right now instead of the magical fairy tale debate against the big bad tolerance police in your head.

I am totally for favoritism, in fact. I think the guy who steals bread for his starving family should serve less time than the guy who steals bread to set on fire in front of a jew's house. I am truly sorry that this blows your mind.
    That is why we have judges! They can make personal decisions... with guidelines!

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    But there is no way to truly assess a persons reasoning for a crime, and so punishment could be increased or decreased under false pretences.

I'm sorry, but we still haven't built the all-seeing all-knowing machine of perfect judgment.

And shockingly enough, we often can assess a person's motives for a crime. Sometimes they even tell us!

True, but it's never infallible.

I know you're correct in some of this, but that doesn't mean that I believe a lot of it is right and good.

Johannen on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hahaha. This thread is now going downhill fast. How long before we can bring in gender differences? I hear women have, on average, lower upper body strength then men.

Why is it that they're just so damn good at cooking and cleaning? :P

they are genetically pre-disposed to it. Years of picking berries and nut, give them better attention to detail and better visual acuity. The motion of a rag againt a dirty wall or floor is much the same as hunting and gathering.

Men of course should get out the house and fulfill all their latent hunting desires.

Good and nature agree, women should be at home bare foot and pregnant.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I think we should assess his punishment based on his history of food-related thievery. I mean if he's only been stealing bread then he's probably malnourishing his kids. Responsible subsistance-level crime here people!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    The idea that we can't do anything without perfect information is just alien to me - it reminds me of Dustin Hoffman trying to choose an airline in "Rain Man."

More to the point, if you want to call the system into question, you should be able to point to an epidemic of people who have been cruelly missentenced and wasted away in gaol because they were just comitting a robbery because they were hungry and that swastika on their forehead was merely an unfortunate coincidence.

We can trade in hypotheticals all day long but at the end of the day all anyone's been able to muster against hate crimes laws are that they're not fair to horrible people. I can live with that.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think we should assess his punishment based on his history of food-related thievery. I mean if he's only been stealing bread then he's probably malnourishing his kids. Responsible subsistance-level crime here people!

Javert 2007: Nutrition Police

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This ... does blow my mind. No, I can't wrap my mind around this. Setting fires to bread. How would you even light it?

Now look, you, I'm not trying to say hate crime laws drive as large a divide as Jim Crowe laws did back in the day. I'm saying both are wrong, though.

There shouldn't be stigmas attached to anyone for their beliefs because it makes us less fit to be fair citizens. That line of thinking is dangerous, it lumps people together, it's the easy road. Not every German soldier in WW2 was a Nazi, ya know. Not every person with privately held racial prejudices is a dangerous racist that lobs burning crosses around. Just don't be intolerant of anyone and I think we'll be better off.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The idea that we can't do anything without perfect information is just alien to me - it reminds me of Dustin Hoffman trying to choose an airline in "Rain Man."

More to the point, if you want to call the system into question, you should be able to point to an epidemic of people who have been cruelly missentenced and wasted away in gaol because they were just comitting a robbery because they were hungry and that swastika on their forehead was merely an unfortunate coincidence.

We can trade in hypotheticals all day long but at the end of the day all anyone's been able to muster against hate crimes laws are that they're not fair to horrible people. I can live with that.

Well, unless those being sentenced for the hate crime didn't commit a hate crime but did it for other reasons that you may view as noble. (Say the guy saw the other one hit a woman, but nobody will come forward as they either didn't see it or don't want to, and there is no evidence for it.)

Also, you can't say whether or not there is an epidemic of those being unfairly sentenced for their reasoning because there is no sure fire, 100%, way of knowing their reasoning.

Johannen on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This ... does blow my mind. No, I can't wrap my mind around this. Setting fires to bread. How would you even light it?

Now look, you, I'm not trying to say hate crime laws drive as large a divide as Jim Crowe laws did back in the day. I'm saying both are wrong, though.

There shouldn't be stigmas attached to anyone for their beliefs because it makes us less fit to be fair citizens. That line of thinking is dangerous, it lumps people together, it's the easy road. Not every German soldier in WW2 was a Nazi, ya know. Not every person with privately held racial prejudices is a dangerous racist that lobs burning crosses around. Just don't be intolerant of anyone and I think we'll be better off.

So you're saying that not every German soldier was a Nazi, so it is important to think about people's beliefs to decide whether they're ok or not? You're 'lumping people together' - we're arguing for differentiating between people based on what they think and do.

And once again since you have a special debating style - is there such a thing as right and wrong? Is it wrong to hurt other people? Or are you going to keep up this 'debate' where you don't respond to others' posts?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    60 years ago the worst thing you could be in America was black.

Today the worst thing you could be in America is a Racist. Followed by being a Pedophile. Then murderer, etc....

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yes, Casket, I weep for the poor racists.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Casket wrote: »

Today the worst thing you could be in America is a Racist. Followed by being a Pedophile. Then murderer, etc....

That's not even close to being true.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Oh fuck now there's two of them.

Does the USA have the death penalty for being a racist? Life imprisonment? No?

Then don't talk crap.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'd say being a paedophile or a murderer is worse than being a racist.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, you can't say whether or not there is an epidemic of those being unfairly sentenced for their reasoning because there is no sure fire, 100%, way of knowing their reasoning.

You can use this argument against anything ever, so I'm not particularly interested in why it proves that hate crimes laws are unfair. Yes, we may never know the whole truth. But you know what, again, in real life, which is to say, in the not-internet, it's not that damn ambiguous. A flaming cross, a swastika, these are the things that get the book thrown at them.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's not even close to being true.

Seriously. Though it is interesting how some cultural criticisms paedophilophobia as a trait specific to our post-industrial condition.

But that's another thread. :P

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'd say being a paedophile or a murderer is worse than being a racist.

right, so do most people. That's why child fuckers and murderers go to jail, and people roll there eyes at racists.

redx on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You can use this argument against anything ever, so I'm not particularly interested in why it proves that hate crimes laws are unfair. Yes, we may never know the whole truth. But you know what, again, in real life, which is to say, in the not-internet, it's not that damn ambiguous. A flaming cross, a swastika, these are the things that get the book thrown at them.

Oh hell sure if it's flamingly obvious then you can know, but there are levels to everything. I guess we start to argue over semantics and border lines after a while and it becomes inconsequential. I agree to find what you say true but not being right in my opinion.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So what if I speak in hyperbole. Doesn't change the fact that being a racist is one of the worst things you can be in America. If you go around being racist people will hate you. Go into any bar, classroom, national TV or whatever and proclaim "I hate you dirty n******, j***, c*****, f*****, c****, s****, k*****, g****..." and watch your reputation go down the shitter. Maybe even get your ass kicked. You can never live it down. It's life in social prison. Where your fellow inmates are other racists.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Oh hell sure if it's flamingly obvious then you can know, but there are levels to everything. I guess we start to argue over semantics and border lines after a while and it becomes inconsequential. I agree to find what you say true but not being right in my opinion.

Ambiguity works well enough with what constitutes art and what only appeal to the prurient interests of people. It also works for copyright infringement and slander. Heck, even with murders there is the question of insanity.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So what if I speak in hyperbole. Doesn't change the fact that being a racist is one of the worst things you can be in America. If you go around being racist people will hate you. Go into any bar, classroom, national TV or whatever and proclaim "I hate you dirty n******, j***, c*****, f*****, c****, s****, k*****, g****..." and watch your reputation go down the shitter. Maybe even get your ass kicked. You can never live it down. It's life in social prison. Where your fellow inmates are other racists.

Unless you make friends with the millions of other racists out there.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    There are not really "levels" to how hate-crimes laws are applied. They're used in pretty clear circumstances. If it's not "right" then you need to bust out the philosophy to show why one-size-fits-all justice is better.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Podly wrote: »

Unless you make friends with the millions of other racists out there.

That's what I just said. What the fuck did I just say?

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So what you're saying is, you can easily prevent your reputation from going down the shitter by not being a racist.

The system works!

Agem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm out - my ulcers are bleeding due to dumb.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's life in social prison. Where your fellow inmates are other racists.

Is this a bad thing, Casket? Is that what you're saying?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What the fuck did I just say?

Ummm...the opposite?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2007

good?

redx on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    There are not really "levels" to how hate-crimes laws are applied. They're used in pretty clear circumstances. If it's not "right" then you need to bust out the philosophy to show why one-size-fits-all justice is better.

I don't believe in one-size-fits-all justice being better. I merely think that believing that hurting someone for one reason is worse than hurting someone just as badly for another reason is better.

In that it leads that judgement shouldn't be passed based on the motivation for the crime. Take it into account to find the killer hell yes, but don't say that because they were killed for x reason you should be punished worse. I wouldn't feel better that because my brother was killed in a drunk fight that his killers should not be given as bad a punishment as those who kill due to a different reason.

That was an example by the way and didn't happen.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »

So you're saying that not every German soldier was a Nazi, so it is important to think about people's beliefs to decide whether they're ok or not? You're 'lumping people together' - we're arguing for differentiating between people based on what they think and do.

And once again since you have a special debating style - is there such a thing as right and wrong? Is it wrong to hurt other people? Or are you going to keep up this 'debate' where you don't respond to others' posts?

What? Debate? Whether they're ok or not? I'm saying don't be quick to condemn and you're writing about something hate crime laws and then you say I'm off in LaLa land. What debate?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I don't believe in one-size-fits-all justice being better. I merely think that believing that hurting someone for one reason is worse than hurting someone just as badly for another reason is better.

In that it leads that judgement shouldn't be passed based on the motivation for the crime. Take it into account to find the killer hell yes, but don't say that because they were killed for x reason you should be punished worse. I wouldn't feel better that because my brother was killed in a drunk fight that his killers should not be given as bad a punishment as those who kill due to a different reason.

I'm sure last time we had this debate, someone pointed out to you the difference between pre-meditated murder and 'accidental' (eg, hit them in a bar fight) type of murder. I absolutely support the legal distinction between the two and am baffled that you don't.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Æthelred wrote: »

I'm sure last time we had this debate, someone pointed out to you the difference between pre-meditated murder and 'accidental' (eg, hit them in a bar fight) type of murder. I absolutely support the legal distinction between the two and am baffled that you don't.

I'm sure he understands the legal distinction. I think Johannen is arguing that killing someone accidentally and planning and executing a murder should garner the same punishment.

I'm not entirely sure I disagree, either.

Like, if I steal bread because I'm starving or I steal bread because I wanted to sell it for five dollars so I could buy crack...well, the crime is unchanged. The motivation isn't the crime, stealing the bread is the crime.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    You should be a motivational speaker, Aemilius.
    TheCat wrote:
    My muscular buttocks it isn't. 40 years ago I couldn't open a bank account without a written note from my male guardian, let alone earn two degrees, live and work where I choose, and opt out of reproducing before 25. Take your stupid braindead version of moral relativism and shove it.

Anyways, as vocal as the comments are getting (as vocal as what would would happen if I mentioned a Jew should be the next President in a 1950s barbershop) women professionals still earn 83% of their male counterparts so I'm just saying we shouldn't have swelled heads.

And in the fifties, women got paid less than half, with no recourse and little of the same promotional chances. The fact that we still have some way to go does not mean that we are not better than the fifties. We are better than the fifties.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    redx wrote: »

good?

Oh, it can always get worse. Free speech has limitations (in casket's example, it goes against common sense) but isn't there a slippery slope? First we discourage prejudice, then we hate racism, then we outlaw racism, then we go one step more?

Link

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    You should be a motivational speaker, Aemilius.
    TheCat wrote:
    My muscular buttocks it isn't. 40 years ago I couldn't open a bank account without a written note from my male guardian, let alone earn two degrees, live and work where I choose, and opt out of reproducing before 25. Take your stupid braindead version of moral relativism and shove it.

Anyways, as vocal as the comments are getting (as vocal as what would would happen if I mentioned a Jew should be the next President in a 1950s barbershop) women professionals still earn 83% of their male counterparts so I'm just saying we shouldn't have swelled heads.

And in the fifties, women got paid less than half, with no recourse and little of the same promotional chances. The fact that we still have some way to go does not mean that we are not better than the fifties. We are better than the fifties.

And now your all uppity, with your pre-nups and "it's not ok to hit women"

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    redx wrote: »

good?

Oh, it can always get worse. Free speech has limitations (in casket's example, it goes against common sense) but isn't there a slippery slope? First we discourage prejudice, then we hate racism, then we outlaw racism, then we go one step more?

Link

wooooo noooooo not a slippery slope. You're totally right, that's exactly how it would go down. You are the greatest debater ever.

redx on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    when will it end? *throws up hands*

listen fuckmonkeys: tolerance =/= approval. That's why casket isn't banned yet. I'm wholly tolerant of his ability to be a trolling, mouthbreathing mental deficient, but I retain the right to call him such and thoroughly disapprove of his words. The same goes for emenememewhatevergetarealname's insistence that NAMBLA and the Childcare Worker's Union of America are fundamentally the same kind of organisation, and therefore we shouldn't judge.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I don't think i've actually had this debate before, also I absolutally understand the distinction between accidental and real murder.

Drez got the gist of it.

Johannen on