As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Enforcers SUCKED!

124»

• nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I only had one bad experience with an Enforcer (and it wasn't "bad" really... just inconveinent)... he informed me that the giant line on Day 1 was to get in the exhibition hall but if we just wanted to go to Theatre B we could probably go wait near it.

Now I don't blame him for that assumption because it seemed logical to me & there was plenty of craziness abound. Plus the line was already 12.74 miles long and the 20 minutes lost before we found the right answer made little difference in the long run.

Other than that, all other Enforcer interactions were great & they were very knowledgable for navigating the twisting labyrinth that was the convention center. It's amazing that people give so much of their time to setup & help people, sacrificing their personal time that could be spent enjoying PAX as an attendee.

nearlysober on
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I only had one bad experience with an Enforcer (and it wasn't "bad" really... just inconveinent)... he informed me that the giant line on Day 1 was to get in the exhibition hall but if we just wanted to go to Theatre B we could probably go wait near it.

Now I don't blame him for that assumption because it seemed logical to me & there was plenty of craziness abound. Plus the line was already 12.74 miles long and the 20 minutes lost before we found the right answer made little difference in the long run.

Other than that, all other Enforcer interactions were great & they were very knowledgable for navigating the twisting labyrinth that was the convention center. It's amazing that people give so much of their time to setup & help people, sacrificing their personal time that could be spent enjoying PAX as an attendee.

I already mentioned this, but that was one of the only problems I had as well. I got line-shifted a few times.. First to the "Buy a Pass" line, and then to the much shorter "Will Call/VIP" line, to find my pass which had been accidentally mailed to Ireland. This would have bothered me, but two of my friends already had their passes so we sent them to the Exhibition Hall/Entrance line and everything worked out nicely. Can't fault the Enforcers though.. with so many lines, it's hard to pick who goes where.

And I didn't get any hugs! But I gave out cookies. That is lame. I want hugs, dammit.

I, too, was so impressed with the overall awesomeness that I fully intend on applying to be an Enforcer when the opportunity arises in a few (hopefully short) months.

SergeantAuberie on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And I didn't get any hugs! But I gave out cookies. That is lame. I want hugs, dammit.

To be fair, I have been a forum regular for over a year and am an operator in the PAX irc channel, so I know a lot of them, and several other forumers personally. Heck a few of the enforcers and the winning omeganaut have all visited me at my house before :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited September 2007
    But, but, but.. I gave them COOKIES.
    I know, I know. There will be plenty of time for hugs (and more cookies) next year.

SergeantAuberie on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I already mentioned this, but that was one of the only problems I had as well. I got line-shifted a few times.. First to the "Buy a Pass" line, and then to the much shorter "Will Call/VIP" line, to find my pass which had been accidentally mailed to Ireland. This would have bothered me, but two of my friends already had their passes so we sent them to the Exhibition Hall/Entrance line and everything worked out nicely. Can't fault the Enforcers though.. with so many lines, it's hard to pick who goes where.

Registration that day was incredible. With all the badges that got eaten by the postal service, we were absolutely floored with attendees. You might have come thru my line, I was the tall blonde doing will-call. Thanks for being so patient with the mixup.
    To be fair, I have been a forum regular for over a year and am an operator in the PAX irc channel, so I know a lot of them, and several other forumers personally. Heck a few of the enforcers and the winning omeganaut have all visited me at my house before :)

Yeah, THAT was a fun weekend. ;)

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

There's an IRC channel?

Regicid3 on
  • StormShadowStormShadow regular
    edited September 2007
    Samyel wrote: »
    im actually not trolling. the enforcers made such a bad impression on me except for a few of them with their bad attitudes and carelessness that if it happened to you, you would feel the same way.

Wow, you've really impressed us with your ability to site specific incidents to support your opinion.

not only do i not know any of the enforcers names, but even if i did i would choose not to use them and specifically point them out as to embarass them or try and get them in trouble. im also not saying that every enforcer was the same. i found many of them to be helpful and courteous but there were a few that stood out and made my time at PAX more depressing and lame than fun.

StormShadow on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Without specific incidents we can't tell if it's a serious thing, or you just being picky because something didn't go your way. So I ask again, how?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• petfishpetfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    Without specific incidents we can't tell if it's a serious thing, or you just being picky because something didn't go your way. So I ask again, how?

Further - Without specific incidents or descriptions, we can't solve the problem. If you had such a bad time, it's not like we want it to happen again.

petfish on
    <khoo> PAX WAS LIKE A ZILLION DAYS
    edited September 2007
    im actually not trolling. the enforcers made such a bad impression on me except for a few of them with their bad attitudes and carelessness that if it happened to you, you would feel the same way.

Wow, you've really impressed us with your ability to site specific incidents to support your opinion.

not only do i not know any of the enforcers names, but even if i did i would choose not to use them and specifically point them out as to embarass them or try and get them in trouble. im also not saying that every enforcer was the same. i found many of them to be helpful and courteous but there were a few that stood out and made my time at PAX more depressing and lame than fun.

Scroll down, dude.

"Ponytail guy in the Console Freeplay area scared the shit out of me by walking up behind me, putting his head an inch away from my ear, and saying GAME OVER very loudly, after confusing my friend with someone else and separating us from our Xbox, which cut into our 1/2 hour of play time. However, the guy in one of the Xbox rooms just chilling and helping people out was totally cool, and while my friend had to re-register for our game, he discussed being an Enforcer and how amazing it was."

Name names, or provide descriptions, or some idea of what terrible thing happened to you. Otherwise, the Enforcers and Enforcers-to-be have no idea what happened or how they could avoid/fix/better address the situation next year, making it lame not only for you, but for whomever may encounter your same problem next year.

Also, I'm pretty sure other people in this thread have pointed out specific incidents, and to the person with the blonde hair in the Will Call line: You all were awesome. It just erked me a little to stand in a line I wasn't supposed to be standing in for an hour or so, and then being told I was in the wrong line.. But I made friends, we played Tetris, and all was well. The only confusing part was being told I wasn't allowed to stand in the Will Call line originally, although the person my boyfriend and I spoke to on the phone after we realized that all of the mail coming to our house was being forwarded to Ireland (a very, very inconvenient location) told us to go to the Will Call line.. Just a little typical confusion. Not a huge deal, didn't hinder my experience what-so-ever.

You all were great. Especially with the kilts and everything. I tried to give every Enforcer wearing a kilt (or looking worn out) a cookie. Tried, being the keyword.. it's hard to get around to you all, and surprisingly enough, 70 cookies didn't last very long, although most were reserved for forumers, as they were the ones walking up and asking for them.. :)

SergeantAuberie on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm a girl. :P Thanks for the comment!

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You all were great. Especially with the kilts and everything. I tried to give every Enforcer wearing a kilt (or looking worn out) a cookie. Tried, being the keyword.. it's hard to get around to you all, and surprisingly enough, 70 cookies didn't last very long, although most were reserved for forumers, as they were the ones walking up and asking for them.. :)

Cookies?! :?

I dun git wun!

thejaxx on
  • HospyHospy Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    my only complaint which isnt even a complaint because i culda cared less is that sum didnt know shit about gaming....and sum were just dumbasses, but 90% of them were fuckin badass. Im already ready to pre-reg for PAX 2008..

I'm not sure if this is directed at anyone in particular, but I guess I'm somewhat guilty of the above complaint. I worked Console Freeplay Checkout in the afternoon, and I'll be the first to apologize about not knowing whether a particular game belongs to which console. I'll admit that prior to PAX, I had never even seen any of the next gen consoles, let alone play any of the games. So I guess I'll apologize for not knowing anything about that, and being unable to recommend any sort of games and so forth.

I guess I may have also appeared a bit snappish at attendees at CFP, perhaps more likely when the lines were getting long. It certainly was not my intention to do so (I believe I wished everyone who passed through my station an enjoyable time at play), but I would definitely understand if it appeared that way. I could say that we were tired and overworked (and probably -really- needed a bathroom break), but that isn't really an acceptable excuse. So if you were ever at all unsatisfied with your time spent in or around CFP, as a lowly underling in the hierarchy, I'm sorry.

On the other hand, I'm glad that so many of you enjoyed your time at PAX, and were happy with us being your Enforcers. Thank you!

Hospy on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    CFP can be a bit frustrating... I went to CFP several times last year to fill voids but only once this year (partly because the line seems to move so slow, partly because there was just so much else to do).

I don't fault the Enforcers at CFP for the long waits or the frantic scramble that seems to be going on at the check-in/check-out... I think a better system needs to be used to handle the crowd. It wasn't a lack of gaming space (my room was half empty) it's the system I think... Enforcers stationed there have their work cut out for them and always do their best so props to you guys.

As for the system of CFP... I wish I had good ideas to improve it.

Maybe have some stations setup devoted to "big name" games (whatever is hot that just recently came out) so people could rotate in on them without checking out equipment... just leave the equipment & game at the station full time.... I thought they did that with some Guitar Hero last year.

Or maybe just have seperate check-in/check-out stations for different systems (Man, the Xbox line is long, lets grab a quick Wii game). Some people will go for specific game systems... but others will go for whatever is quickest to get some playtime in & pass the time.

I'm sure something will be figured out for next year.

nearlysober on
  • GoogalashGoogalash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Caffiene works many many many times better as a bribe :)

Googalash on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Googalash wrote: »
    Caffiene works many many many times better as a bribe :)

This cookie girl might be packing espresso brownies or fudge next year.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    She's going to be packing fudge? :P

North on
    edited September 2007
    North wrote: »
    She's going to be packing fudge? :P

Oh yes, I walked into that one. /me straps on.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
    edited September 2007
    lol

espresso brownies do sound good though

Googalash on
    edited September 2007
    lol

The only thing better than sugar on the go is sugar AND caffiene. And depending on my travel plans, fudge would probably be easier to transport without getting destroyed.

Samyel on
    edited September 2007
    lol

The only thing better than sugar on the go is sugar AND caffiene. And depending on my travel plans, fudge would probably be easier to transport without getting destroyed.

Well then we shall most defiently look forward to seeing you in 08 :)

Googalash on
    edited September 2007
    Well then we shall most defiently look forward to seeing you in 08 :)

Look for the Sash of Cookie Justice. On-duty Cookie Brigadeers will be armed wtih sugar and wearing a sash.

Samyel on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Without identifying them in some way, (ie: who's doing what/where and when), there's no way we can have that volunteer improve their role if they choose to come back next year. Despite how fearsome PRD's Lasers and Iron Fist can be, nobody will be getting in trouble for doing a less-than-awesome job. There's no way that we'd want a bad experience you had to happen again next year, especially if it's affecting more than the one person who brought an issue up on this forum. If you had problems with an Enforcer, then it's possible that dozens, if not hundreds of people could have experienced the same negativity.

b0wser on
  • Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Although.. a word of advice..
    Don't go up to a very jumpy girl and say
    "GAME OVER!" really loud in her ear
    while she is killing zombies in the mall.
    I think I jumped about three feet.

Ponytail guy in the Console Freeplay area scared the shit out of me by walking up behind me, putting his head an inch away from my ear, and saying GAME OVER very loudly, after confusing my friend with someone else and separating us from our Xbox, which cut into our 1/2 hour of play time. However, the guy in one of the Xbox rooms just chilling and helping people out was totally cool, and while my friend had to re-register for our game, he discussed being an Enforcer and how amazing it was."

Auberie: I apologize for bothering you so badly during your CFP experience.

Really didn't mean to be so loud or harsh. I don't necessarily recall being an inch from anyone's ear when telling them their time was up, but I will not argue with you. There were more than a couple times during my runs where gunfire and rocking out was too much for my tone of voice, not everyone always heard me the first time.

Again, I'm sorry.
    I will be much more cautious/aware of this.

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    edited September 2007
    Volunteering is a great way to learn your strengths and weaknesses, as well as what you enjoy doing. In any event with a large volunteer force, there's going to be more ups and downs than in a professional force. You'll see more passion and desire to help, but you'll also see people struggling with new skills or burning out from unfamiliar and overwhelming work.

On the whole, I found the Enforcers friendly, happy, and easy to deal with. I mentioned before how great the PC Freeplay ones were, but seriously, I was surprised by how consistantly un-pushy they were about moving people off stations during high-turnover times. They'd let you finish saving your mail, or properly log out of your game... y'know, actually treating us like adults who wouldn't deliberately drag our feet. I appreciated it a lot.

Samyel on
    edited September 2007
    Although.. a word of advice..
    Don't go up to a very jumpy girl and say
    "GAME OVER!" really loud in her ear
    while she is killing zombies in the mall.
    I think I jumped about three feet.

Ponytail guy in the Console Freeplay area scared the shit out of me by walking up behind me, putting his head an inch away from my ear, and saying GAME OVER very loudly, after confusing my friend with someone else and separating us from our Xbox, which cut into our 1/2 hour of play time. However, the guy in one of the Xbox rooms just chilling and helping people out was totally cool, and while my friend had to re-register for our game, he discussed being an Enforcer and how amazing it was."

Auberie: I apologize for bothering you so badly during your CFP experience.

Really didn't mean to be so loud or harsh. I don't necessarily recall being an inch from anyone's ear when telling them their time was up, but I will not argue with you. There were more than a couple times during my runs where gunfire and rocking out was too much for my tone of voice, not everyone always heard me the first time.

Again, I'm sorry.
    I will be much more cautious/aware of this.

Aww..
    See, this is what I'm talking about.
    You seemed pretty cool, you just scared the absolute shit out of me..
    I'm a very very jumpy person.
    It's all good, dude. Definitely didn't ruin my time at all, which I think I mentioned, it was just slightly agitating to me, as I am really really jumpy. And I was killing zombies.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited September 2007
    On the whole, I found the Enforcers friendly, happy, and easy to deal with. I mentioned before how great the PC Freeplay ones were, but seriously, I was surprised by how consistantly un-pushy they were about moving people off stations during high-turnover times. They'd let you finish saving your mail, or properly log out of your game... y'know, actually treating us like adults who wouldn't deliberately drag our feet. I appreciated it a lot.

Hey I worked PC Freeplay and it did get mad carzy in there at times. Anyway thanks for the compliment.

Googalash on
  • LittlePKLittlePK Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So at one point I noticed what looked like blood on one of the gaming tables. Hey it was blood... quite a bit of blood! Hey somebody is bleeding! Who is bleeding?!

Of course it was me. Not sure what I did and it must have been bleeding for awhile because my entire hand was covered in blood for what turned out to be only a very very tiny cut on my finger.

So anyway I got the attention of an enforcer and asked him where I could get a band-aid. Again, hand covered in blood. His face turned white, then looked confused, then he said "I don't know but I'll find out ASAP" A few minutes later Medic-Enforcer arrived.

All and all pretty cool except the guy insisted on trying to put the bandaid on for me and managed to miss the cut itself. I thanked him and readjusted it after he left.

LittlePK on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Medics = Important, I used to live with a combat medic and he drilled that one into my head. It also means if the medic gets taken out, the rest of the unit is in serious trouble. While you may not have to worry about the PAX Medic Enforcer being taken out at PAX, it does give me an excuse to bring up this comic.

20070921.jpg

But seriously, never take the medic for granted, that motherfucker might have to save your life at some point.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.