As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AO] Anarchy Online, anyone else a Froob?

124»

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    AO is a great game, i played it for a bit and really enjoyed it, but i didnt have any friends that were interested. I forced it down my now ex-gf's throat for a while, and she enjoyed it too....but then Halo came out and she got hooked on that and i lost my partner.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    True, it has been 8 years now. I just remember it had the 2nd worst launch of an MMO ever, behind WW2 Online :)

JediNight on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If Shadowlands hadn't completely fucked over Fixers I'd probably still be playing. Well Shadowlands was pretty bad in general. It really didn't change or add anything that was needed and totally changed how some classes played. That is not cool.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I found a guide on how to 5 box with an enforcer, doctor and 3 nano tech so I might just give that a try. It uses the Soild ICE program much the same way people do to multi box world of warcraft.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So far so good. My 6box team has made it through noobie island. The hardest part so far has been making sure they all have equip.

final%20fantasy%204%20AO.jpg

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So far so good. My 6box team has made it through noobie island. The hardest part so far has been making sure they all have equip.

Nice, keep me posted on this, I might want to try it; it looks pretty fun.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Decided to give this a spin. Patching right now, I'll hop onto RK2 in a bit. I take it this is going to be a learning experience?

Galielmus on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Decided to give this a spin. Patching right now, I'll hop onto RK2 in a bit. I take it this is going to be a learning experience?

Yeah, it takes some getting used to; depending on where you're coming from.

They've updated the UI to be a lot more "modern" in regards to how the menus work and camera controls; however it's still obvious that the game is 8 years old as soon as you start playing.

There's a lot more reading to do for the quests and you won't see big "!" over NPC's to know if they have something for you to do or not. For the starting area just talk to the duder right where you spawn and do what he says; just go from there. You're led pretty well through the starting area.

BTW RK1 > RK2 :P

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh wow. I remember this game. Playing a Fixer and having to find that ONE vendor to get all the best clothing/gear earlier in the expansions.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Heh, so that was your horde I ran into. I made a fixer, I guess because I hate myself. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't play an MP or Engineer instead though (both have rather useful secondary skills and solo rather well).

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I have not been playing a whole lot but its fun to get on and know I have a group already. They are all around level 20 now and I was able to get my mongo nano so now I can AE taunt everything and just AE nuke away with the nano techs. The subway is a joke now. I forget what level I need to be to do the temple of the winds or whatever its called.

Keeping these guys equiped is the hardest part. They all still have QL10 implants other than the tank. I really need to get some better heals. Having the nano regeneration from the nano tech is really nice though.

final%20fantasy%204%20AO%202.jpg
    final%20fantasy%204%20AO%20comps.jpg

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, GA doesn't work like I remember it, found myself having to run more than I remember (which is to say, I have to run sometimes, whereas I used to fear nothing). Did they nerf evasion tanking or something?

Yoshua on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yea a looong time ago. They severely nerfed it, and even added a killer nuke to NTs that did like a hojillion damage to anyone in Grid Armor so you couldn't use it in PvP.

Thank goodness I was only up to GA Mk1 at the time or else murder may have been in order.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bigity wrote: »
    Yea a looong time ago. They severely nerfed it, and even added a killer nuke to NTs that did like a hojillion damage to anyone in Grid Armor so you couldn't use it in PvP.

Thank goodness I was only up to GA Mk1 at the time or else murder may have been in order.

It really wasn't the damage that did you in, it was the other effects. It stunned you, shut down your long duration HoT and prevented you from having it cast on you for a short time. The damage hurt but it was the other shit that really fucked you up (also it was unresistable). Definitly one of the biggest bullshit moves the devs made.

But I started using it after that and was aware of the limitations. Even still PvP'ed, just had to be careful of NT's (never saw all that many to be honest, enforcers were a bigger pain in the ass than NT's ever were).

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I never PvPed much and I stopped playing before the alien expansion. I loved that game though.

Bigity on
  • Options
    OkoOko Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really wish some game out there would take the concept of how Traders worked and run with it. I just loved the whole drain mechanic and wrangling too. :)

Oko on
  • Options
    StinkbugStinkbug Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God this was a great game that was plagued by a terrible launch.

Prolly the most memorable thing about it for me was getting lost in the Omni city and waiting around for buffs to equip an item I could barely keep from overequipping. Good times, great game, played it for a pretty long time.

Froobing it up is a great way to go if you want to experience a great game without worrying about investing any money into a dying franchise.

Stinkbug on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Stinkbug wrote: »
    God this was a great game that was plagued by a terrible launch.

Prolly the most memorable thing about it for me was getting lost in the Omni city and waiting around for buffs to equip an item I could barely keep from overequipping. Good times, great game, played it for a pretty long time.

Froobing it up is a great way to go if you want to experience a great game without worrying about investing any money into a dying franchise.

OE was added a good bit after launch. There for awhile the QL gear you could get on lowbies was absurd.

I had notebook(s) of pages and pages and pages of math and implant lists in order to get nutso stuff equipped as early as possible.

I still did this after OE but it was to a much more limited degree. You couldn't stack implants quite as easily since you had to maintain the skill levels to not OE. So instead of getting QL 200 on a 50 you had to wait till ~100 to do it without some crazy crazy gear.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    RabidNerdRabidNerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey

Is it ok if I bump this? Didn´t want to make a new thread.

I´m downloading AO right now and im asking what class should I play? I had a Martial Artist when the game first went free to play and i think that char is around 30-40 or so.

The thing is that I don´t want to play the same enforcer/soldier/ma char again because i find it boring now and well my English wasn´t all that great and i was a bit younger so all the other professions seemed way too complicated for me.

So whats a fun proffession to play then that is also powerful enough? How is the balance in the game anyway? Any helpful advice?

RabidNerd on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just FYI, solider is hella fun.

I always liked engineers but they're very macro reliant; though I suppose with changes to the UI that provides for more/better pet control, that might not be as much of an issue.

They're also very expensive and complex implant/stat wise because you virtually always have to have the stats to have the best possible bot you can get, or you won't be very viable.

Metas are another pet class that have 3 pets that all interact, and have their own buffs to get better said pets; with the occasional nuke to top it off. I never really could get into them though.

Nanotechs...well, if you don't like the "simplicity" of a MA/Soldier/Enforcer, then you probably won't care for them. nuke nuke nuke nuke nuke.

Docs are great, and I always loved playing them. Whether or not healing is for you, is up to you.

Adventurers are nice "hunter" style characters with a bit of shape shifting thrown in. I always enjoyed mine.

Agent, don't bother. Unless you're already an expert at the game, there are few classes as complex as agents and no new player should ever start as one. Ever.

Crats are cool. Another pet class that uses mind control as a weapon. Last I checked they could have up to 3 controls max at a time, and they also have a bot type pet that doesn't even compare to the engies. They're really there to dominate enemies for their own use. Also there are few better excuses to make a fat short schlumpy avatar that gets a briefcase as a "weapon" later.

Fixers are ok. After they nerfed grid armor to hell and back, it became somewhat questionable as to their advantages over a solider in a party, but some people enjoy them. You can access the net or whatever it's called earlier than other profs.

Keepers are paladins. Straight up. Plays like an enforcer with some heals and auras. Not really anything else to say.

Shades are something. Never played one so I can't really comment too much. My understanding is that they're rogue/assassin style characters. Take that for what you will. At one point I'm fairly sure they were capable of producing the highest dps of any prof in the game. That was some years ago and I'm sure it's been balanced.

Traders are the debuff kings. Somewhat hell to solo with, they are glorious to have in a party. If you know how to do your job you would always be welcome in parties.

EDIT: I should note for traders that most of their debuffs also directly buff them. Alternately they have buffs (wrangles) that you can target other party members with that debuff themselves. This is used primarily to equip better implants/equipment, but also has use in missions.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone actually still play this? I had an urge to start playing my little naked Shade chick again.

KiTA on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I log on once in a great while... it stays eating up hard drive space, waiting for me to jump on for some missions.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It took me a long ass time to find this thread.

Does anyone happen to know if you can now play a previously paid account as a froob?

I recall back when they started it you couldn't for sure, but I'm just wondering if they've changed their mind on that, and google isn't exactly useful for AO these days.

Someday they'll release the mythical graphical update (if anyone cares, the devs said is the dx9 version of the engine that AoC/TSW uses, but just the graphical portion, not the mechanics; that is remaining old school AO; it's purely a client side graphical upgrade and nothing new under the hood gameplay wise) and I will want my old Soldier for that, but I'm not really up for paying the sub price again for my old account.

EDIT: Contacted customer support, they said no, no way. :(

Suuuuuuuuck. If that's they case they need a lower sub tier for people like me.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Well that's a shame. Melchie the freak faced atrox will have to continue on in suspended animation.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Isn't there a $5 tier that doesn't go past one of the expansions?

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You can't choose it if you were a previous full subscriber prior to it going froob. All you can choose is their typical sub choices, 1m/3mo/6mo/1yr with $15 > whatever appropriate discount for doing it in bulk. EDIT: Maybe you could choose it if you hadn't gotten the xpacks; but I already had everything from when I played for real.

The Dude With Herpes on