As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Something overheard that made me mad

2»

• ParamnesiaParamnesia Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shauk wrote: »
    Paramnesia wrote: »
    . Some use the logic that PAX is a smaller con so it’s okay; they’re not a big corporate entity so they’d not mind. But being a smaller con one also can reason that they’re more in need of the support.
    It's actually the biggest gaming con now.

E3 shut it's doors to the public for the most part and is just scaled back overall. With that in mind I have the feeling that many more developers are going to want to set up shop at the next PaX, it's only going to get bigger.

Wow. Over the weekend I was theorizing with a friend that PAX would take the place of E3 as it grows, but at the time I didn't realize it was "the biggest" now. I should have known.

Paramnesia on
    "Right now I'm having amnesia and deja-vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

Awesome Artist and Awesomer Friend.
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    if they really wanted to get into pax for free or did not have the money to buy a pass they would become enforcers!

super... on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    super... wrote: »
    if they really wanted to get into pax for free or did not have the money to buy a pass they would become enforcers!
    That is what I am thinking. ;-)

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Except I wouldn't trust them as enforcers. :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Except I wouldn't trust them as enforcers. :|
    Oh yea. D: But I am thinking of doing it myself. ^_^ First year '06 I went Sunday, this year I went all three days and next year I wanna try Enforceing and helping out. RL Security Guard. ;-)

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • kruxkrux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know the price of the 3 day was so inexpensive it kind of bugs me that they would go through the hassle to cheat their way into the convention. I mean really $10 more? I use to get that much money picking up soda cans in Michigan (well in Michigan it's "pop" cans) when I was a kid and had no job.

Now for cool badges that you can't easily counterfeit, they have the right idea with the Defcon 15 electronic badge. They have a microcontroller on them which is programmable, so you can make the LED display say different things, or extend the code to do other stuff. Though that would add to the price of the ticket, since I think those badges cost about ten bucks each to make. But of my collection of convention badges, that one has to be my favorite.

krux on
    perl -e 's++=END;++y(;-P)}\n?k++=;<+xru}?print: ??;'
  • EzzelinEzzelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's ridiculous to try to justify stealing because they happened to miss the exhibition hall. That's a terrible excuse. Many people miss many things and they don't forge passes.

That being said, it would be a great idea if PAX officially offered a three day pass on Sat / Sunday to people with one day passes for the price of the difference. Think of it as a way to sell more three day passes to people who aren't sure, just want to "try out" the con for one day, or come one day and are blown away and want more.

Also, Sakuracon has numbered and named badges. This might be a cheap way of discouraging this kind of thing without paying for holograms, and would also build some community in the process.

Ezzelin on
  • ShaukShauk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is idiotic logic. In fact it's not even logical at all, seriously EVERY FUCKING PERSON in that convention center was MISSING more than they were ATTENDING, every single person in there was waiting in line at one point or another.

I think your friends can piss off with thier crooked logic and make it up like Robert Khoo has suggested. I missed panels during the time I was in the exhibition, contests while I was in panels, tourneys while I was in freeplay and so on and so on and so on and so on, out of the 5 or so "categories" of things to do, I could only do 1 at a time, bottom line, the choice is yours, the schedule was posted well in advance. The pass simply grants you access to the building, once inside, its "free will"

wow, this self entitlement b.s. has me p.o'd I seriously hate people like that. You deserve NOTHING. you get what you pay for and you reap the rewards of your actions and you pay the costs of sacrifice just like everyone else.

Theres no way in the world to justify scamming the convention to attend more "content" that everyone else paid for.

Shauk on
    edited August 2007
    I agree, but before anyone beats me to it let me come up with the excuses.

- It was my first time, and I didn't know I could volunteer.
    - I have a bad memory and missed the deadline.
    - I didn't want to miss anything, and volunteering would take up too much time.
    - I don't look good in black t-shirts.
    - Kilts frighten me.

Some have validity. I'm guilty of the second one, and you do miss out on certain events when volunteering, but you get free admission and lots of memorable moments.

Paramnesia on
    "Right now I'm having amnesia and deja-vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

• teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am pissed, I missed all the tournaments and all the panels, also all of the omegathon, also all of the console free play. I think with your logic, Penny arcade owes me $200.

Ninja edit: You are your friends are jerks. I couldn't care less that you are poor and traveled half a state to get there, I saved up what little money I make as a student that lives on their own working crappy cooking jobs to drive the 50 hours it takes to get to Washington, I ate the ramen noodles I got at the con that night because I needed money for gas to get back to Ontario, I couldn't even afford to go to Gameworks even though I wanted to. Your stupid argument about entitlement and shades of grey simply doesn't hold water, if I ever saw you or your friends, I would tell you to your face how terrible you really are. Shades of Grey my ass. Guess what? I was more then happy to make the pilgrimage, that was almost toppled when one of the guys that was supposed to go with us dropped out, I tightened the belt and made it with just enough to have 4 dollars in my pocket when I got to Toronto. I'm not saying this for the sympathy, I don't need it. Im saying it to completely obliterate your bullshit entitlement idea. I know stealing MP3S is legally wrong, but you feel that what your friends did isn't I HOPE you have the mental capacity to realize the difference.

teamquiggan on
  • ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm with Teamquiggan on this one, as one of the other two guys that he drove to/from PAX with. The fact that you feel entitled to do something/go somewhere/have something does not mean that you are actually entitled.

There is no shade of gray here. This isn't an outstanding moral dilemma. You stole. Period. End of story. If you're cool with that, congratulations. Don't try and justify it though.

Chizzer on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Byeuji wrote: »
    I honestly doubt ticket prices will rise because of more advance countermeasures. I really don't think the coordinators care that much. The cost of your badges was enough to cover the rental of the Convention Center and the services that the expo provided. I'm sure most of the other positions were volunteer; unpaid positions - no cost.

I'm also sure that if the money were there, the tickets *would* be free. These are the guys that donated $10,000 to the ESA just to add to the egg on Jack Thompson's face. Unfortunately, Penny Arcade isn't a publicly held, multi-million dollar corporation. And if it were, the tickets would have been $150 (see E3 ticket prices).

This sentiment saddens me. What makes you think they don't care? They go through the trouble, and stress, of planing an event that was expecting over thirty THOUSAND attendees, and even after that they kept their humor up, and all of us entertained. I don't think they could possibly care MORE then they obviously do.

And the excuse that they didn't have enough money, is hog wash. Tons of PAX goers are poor, yet they all pay for their own passes, hotel rooms, and anything else they need, to go to PAX.

If, because they didn't read the schedules provided both on the website, and the booklets handed out, they missed something, that is THEIR fault, and no fault of of the PAX coordinators, or enforcers. The fact that the idea of forging a pass went anywhere beyond a lame joke, or a background thought, is sad, and does NOT speak well to their characters.

Anyone who tries to defend these actions, is one of two things, either just as crooked and lacking of morals, or someone who defends a friend no matter what. And although the second one is an admirable quality, you CAN take it too far.

Sleepy One wrote: »
    I'm just trying to say, things aren't black and white, there's a lot of grey in this. You can demonize them all you want, but put yourself in their shoes. I don't think you'd be happy if you showed up to enjoy yourself if you paid a hefty price and didn't even get to see the exhibition hall period.

If that happend to any of us the same would be true!

What makes you think "any of us" would do this? That was a STUPID thing to do, and at the very least, *I* would never have done such a thing. If I couldn't come up with the money, I would have just forgone the event, and planned better for the next year. I think most of the people here would agree. If something goes wrong through bad planing, get over it, move on, and plan better the next time. Don't forge your way into something others payed to get into.

As many here have said, there is NO excuse for this type of behavior, none at all.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I wandered around outside the convention center for maybe an hour, I could come up with $10 in change.

The fact that this happens is sad. =/

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A cheap alternative to holograms is just shiny stickers or something. Just using something that's common, but everyone doesn't have laying around, and would have to use some effort to get, is going to stop a lot of the casual forging.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So it always takes me a good.. three days to respond to things.. but I'm jumping on this bandwagon.

<-- Poor college student. Paying for my own tuition/room&board/food/bills/car insurance, etc. And I'm a waitress. I make 2.13/3.13 an hour (depending on which side of the river I'm working on) + tips. Yet, I still managed to get myself from Ohio to Seattle, find a hotel, and pay for a three day badge. Oh, and food. And I didn't copy anything, I didn't mooch anything, I didn't leave a restaurant without paying, or anything. Hell, I even tipped when necessary. I was traveling with my boyfriend, I could've made him pay for everything using my feminine wiles, but I didn't.

It erks me when people do this, just because they can, or because things didn't go the way they planned.

Example: I missed a few things that I wanted to see/register for early on because I had to stand in the "Buy a pass" line because my pass got mistakenly mailed to my boyfriend's parents house in Ireland. Last time I let him register ANYTHING. I stood in that line, where I was then transferred to the Will Call/VIP line, which I stood in, all before getting into the regular entrance line. I was in line from about 9 AM until the doors opened at 2 PM on Friday. And because I had to stand in ridiculous lines that I didn't need to be in (I was "directed" to go to these lines..), I missed a few things I wanted to see/register for early on.

Granted, I had already bought my 3 day pass, but that didn't mean that I went out and did anything else unfair, and had I only had a Friday pass and had missed some of the things I wanted to see because of the stupid confusion with my pass and standing in line, I wouldn't have gone home, made a fake pass, and come back. I don't care how cool you are.. Go talk to someone. Go talk to an Enforcer. Explain your problem. I saw Jerry outside of the concert on Friday night, talked to him for a little while, and I'm pretty sure that if these guys had talked to someone, explained that, since there were a few glitches, they missed the Exhibition Hall, someone would have taken care of them. My big problem with this is that they don't seem to have tried that. (I could be wrong about this, but I'm severly jaded, and willing to bet they didn't try..)

That being said, I also had a problem with the console freeplay and missed a few things, because you get like.. a half an hour, someone was using our Xbox/screen, and then they thought we were someone we weren't and they had taken our IDs, so we had to go re-check out everything.. so we had to wait forever while they figured out who the mystery man was that was on our Xbox. No big deal. Missed a few things I wanted to go do, missed a few things I wanted to go see/stand in line for, but I wound up talking to an Enforcer about volunteering for next year while we waited, and it was all okay. It's all what you make of it, I guess.

My point is.. The vast majority of people payed, and not everyone got to do everything according to their original plan. When something doesn't work out the way you want it to, you have a few options: 1) take things into your own hands, or 2) find someone in charge and talk to them about it. The choice is yours, I guess..

Oh, and bring cookies. Cookies make everything better. Lines, frustration, forgetting your DS charger in your hotel room.. Everything.

SergeantAuberie on
  • ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Obviously, being a person with a laptop at BYOC (even though I had it nicely locked up) I'm more than a little disconcerted about the fake badge thing. Since the BYOC badges are numbered, can we get a check-in / check-out list for PEOPLE to prevent douches with fake badges from getting in and potentially making off with our gear? Or a photo badge?

I mean, based on the logic I've seen, I imagine they'd justify it by blaming the people who brought computers in the first place.

Also, how about a quick check of anyone who wins a tournament to verify that their badge is valid? If not, the prize goes to the next highest scorer.

ariocksayssquee on
  • badrewbadrew Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    theres people out there whom the word integrity means nothing. theres people out there that think the world owes them something. its interesting they would come here and try and justify themselves though. they must REALLY think the world owes them something.

I know a guy who punched a baby once....in anger. but the baby was being kind of a dick. so I guess thats kind of a grey area situation

badrew on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, y'know, it is kind of inhuman cruelty that they should have to show up BEFORE their tournament to enjoy the exhibition hall.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Crit_FailCrit_Fail Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Obviously, being a person with a laptop at BYOC (even though I had it nicely locked up) I'm more than a little disconcerted about the fake badge thing. Since the BYOC badges are numbered, can we get a check-in / check-out list for PEOPLE to prevent douches with fake badges from getting in and potentially making off with our gear? Or a photo badge?

I mean, based on the logic I've seen, I imagine they'd justify it by blaming the people who brought computers in the first place.

Also, how about a quick check of anyone who wins a tournament to verify that their badge is valid? If not, the prize goes to the next highest scorer.

I'm not sure how many folks participated in Console Freeplay as well as PC Freeplay at one point or another over the weekend. I happened to be lucky enough to find time for both. It seems to me that the Console FP has the perfect solution for the worries about PC FP and BYOC being so intermingled. ... Take my driver's license when I sign in and give it back to me when I leave. If nothing else, you know who I am and when I was in the room if anything were to happen.

Granted, this is also probably why the PC FP line flew while the poor Console FP guys had a burly and sandworm-esque line.

Crit_Fail on
    "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think." - Horace Walpole
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No excuses for this behavior.

I'd like to think that one of the reasons PAX doesn't need ultra tight security is because most of us are cool enough not to try crap like this. It's an event for people like us... thrown BY people like us... and people like that have the potential to ruin it for everyone.

They could've gotten there earlier. They could've skipped the tournement. If they didn't have time to do both in one day, well guess what? They need more than a one day pass. Nowhere does it say you're guaranteed to do everything you want in one (or three) days... that's why they have the event for MULTIPLE days.

Reality is... if they had gone to an enforcer and asked to speak to an organizer... and explained "Hey, this event started 2 hours late and completely messed up our schedule, and we missed the hall"... I'm pretty sure they could've worked something out.

Tell your friends not to come back next year... they're not the kind of people we want to associate with.

nearlysober on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tell your friends not to come back next year... they're not the kind of people we want to associate with.

Completely, and whole heartedly, agreed.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • ByeujiByeuji Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey guys, we're all really sorry. They said the won't ever do it again. All the points you guys brought up are really valid and definitely right. What they did was wrong and I feel ashamed for supporting my friends. They had no right to do that, even if it made their experience at PAX better.

I'm going to go join a convent.

Byeuji on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey guys, we're all really sorry. They said the won't ever do it again. All the points you guys brought up are really valid and definitely right. What they did was wrong and I feel ashamed for supporting my friends. They had no right to do that, even if it made their experience at PAX better.

You really and truly should feel ashamed. Lets take right and wrong of stealing out of the picture. Mike, Jerry, and Khoo put this convention on for US, the gamers. They devote their free time, their effort and damn good bit of their LIVES to put this show on. Not to make a profit, and not to make a name for themselves, but to show people a good time. They deserve your respect for that, and taking what they made and spitting on it, because you failed to plan, and were to lazy to ask a question or spend $10 more, and then trying to justify it makes you pretty low.

And yes, now we the rightful paying attendees and supporters of an event that is one of the few true GIFTS(they are not trying to rape our wallets, or even trying to turn a profit) to the public will be watching for fake passes.

And you better hope the enforcers are the ones who catch you...

Shade on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The apology was going good until the convent remark, which makes me think this was a sarcastic apology and not true at all. I hope you and your friends donate some money to Child's Play.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shade wrote: »

You really and truly should feel ashamed. Lets take right and wrong of stealing out of the picture. Mike, Jerry, and Khoo put this convention on for US, the gamers. They devote their free time, their effort and damn good bit of their LIVES to put this show on. Not to make a profit, and not to make a name for themselves, but to show people a good time. They deserve your respect for that, and taking what they made and spitting on it, because you failed to plan, and were to lazy to ask a question or spend $10 more, and then trying to justify it makes you pretty low.

And yes, now we the rightful paying attendees and supporters of an event that is one of the few true GIFTS(they are not trying to rape our wallets, or even trying to turn a profit) to the public will be watching for fake passes.

A-fucking-men.

And Byeuji, I hope to god that's sincerity and not dripping sarcasm coming from your post. The internet's made me too cynical to tell for sure.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited September 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    The apology was going good until the convent remark, which makes me think this was a sarcastic apology and not true at all. I hope you and your friends donate some money to Child's Play.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I hope to god that's sincerity and not dripping sarcasm coming from your post. The internet's made me too cynical to tell for sure.

I can't tell either. The "even if it made their experience better" and "join a convent" ending turned it from an apology to an "apology?"

Paramnesia on

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, somehow I think that apology was something less than sincere.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2007
    There is a school of thought that deems it morally acceptable to do illegal things that cause no direct harm to others. Surely, in the sea of humanity that was PAX, a couple extra bodies who didn't pay to be there isn't cause for outrage.

This school of thought is also known as, "dickhead."

So I'm just going to assume that they donated a few bucks to Child's Play and go back to ignoring them. Maybe next year will be more expensive to include the cost of less-forgable badges.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't care if the passes cost 300$ I would buy them to support pax.

It is the principle of the matter.

if they don't do what Khoo said then they don't belong.

Grath on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

nearlysober on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007

Grath on
  • petfishpetfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Grath wrote: »

Seriously, you guys are way meaner than we are, from the looks of this thread.

petfish on
    <khoo> PAX WAS LIKE A ZILLION DAYS
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    petfish wrote: »

Steal from a friend of mine, means your stealing from me.

Shade on
    edited September 2007
    petfish wrote: »

Hey I recognize your name from stuff in the table top room thanks for bringin all the stuff! ( i didnt play with any of it I was just there while they separated it all out to give to their rightful owners supplyin the enforcers with some well needed/earned bawls)

Grath on
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I was drunk and bumped into them, found out they had fake passes, I would frikkin' Zidane them all.

teamquiggan on
    edited September 2007
    If I was drunk and bumped into them, found out they had fake passes, I would frikkin' Zidane them all.

Yeah, well if I was high on cocaine and bumped into them with fake passes, I'd be all like "WOAH super sayan power up!!!" and then hadoken them biotches so hard they'd be like "omg double-you tee eff" and then I'd call them junk-gargling guttersluts who couldn't even get past Cherry Pie on easy mode if they had their mommys hold the guitars for them and then they'd cry.

...good thing I don't do cocaine.

Samyel on
  • RexRex Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Samyel wrote: »
    ...good thing I don't do cocaine.

Understatement of the year.

Rex on
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate its' contents."
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    edited September 2007
    If i had bumped into them sober I probably would have thrown their pass to the ground stepped on it then headbutt the first one who tried to stop me.

... good thing I wasn't ever sober outside of pax.

Grath on
This discussion has been closed.