The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
[Phalla] Through The Greatwood - Finale: A Hero's Return (Good Guys Win!)
It was approximately three hours after sunrise when the first scout returned and reported that the army of the Worldâ€™s Edge was in sight. Sir Furic smiled and turned to his second-in-command, Sir Hylian.
â€œThey come at us with the bulk of their forces,â€ he said. â€œToday will be the day we crush them, once and for all. Today will be remembered as the day that the Gray Wolf won this war, and claimed the entire north as their own.â€
Sir Hylian could do nothing but smile and nod. He had seen the tactical prowess of Sir Furic countless times before. He always seemed to know what he was doing, and he always seemed to come out the victor. And, unlike those other knights who commanded from afar, Sir Furic was not afraid to get close to the battle, for his combat skills were just as good, if not better than, his tactical skills. What Sir Furic was counting on in this particular battle was a new shipment of arms, recently delivered from the House of the Eternal Flame. He had commissioned the best weapons from the best weaponsmith, hoping that with new arms he would have an ultimate advantage against the Worldâ€™s Edge.
Since the sky was cover from end to end in clouds, both armies had begun their march through the Greatwood at what they believed to be dawn. Even when they were several kilometers away, both sides could hear the crunching of snow beneath the feet of their enemy. For several hours the armies marched through the dense forest, moving slow and methodically, with the commanders trying to avoid dividing their armies or walking into an unexpected trap. After several hours of marching, Sir Hylian heard a voice. â€œThe enemy! I see the enemy!â€ it said.
Sir Hylian immediately turned to Sir Furic and said, â€œThe enemy has spotted us. They must be close. One of our soldiers will undoubtedly engage before we give the order. They can smell the victory already.â€
â€œThen let them engage,â€ Sir Furic replied. â€œFortune favors the bold.â€ Sure enough, a moment later Sir Hylian spotted several soldiers break rank, and with a shout they began to run towards. The rest of the Gray Wolf soldiers quickly realized what was happening, and they moved as one towards the enemy, Sir Hylian and Sir Furic leading the way. The Worldâ€™s Edge prepared for the rush, their shields and swords at the ready, until the Gray Wolf fell upon them in a great wave. A ferocious battle ensued, and neither side gave an inch; the Gray Wolf fought for glory, the Worldâ€™s Edge fought for the survival of their House.
Amidst the din of battle a shattering sound echoed through the forest. It was quickly followed by several more occurrences of the same sound. So strange was this sound to the soldiers that each one stopped and looked to see what had made the peculiar noise. The sight of two opposing armies facing each other, gazing about in confusion was surely a sight to behold. Then, from the army of the Worldâ€™s Edge came a cry. â€œIt is their armaments!â€ it said excitedly. â€œThey are crumbling under our blows!â€
Sir Hylianâ€™s eyes widened. â€œThis is treachery!â€ he cried. â€œWe are betrayed!â€ The order did not even have to be given. Every single soldier from the Gray Wolf dropped his weapon at once, and it filled the forest with the sound of shattering metal, as if a thousand panes of glass had broken at the same time. Then, for the first time since Sir Furic took command of the army, they turned and fled from their enemy.
â€œHunt them down!â€ growled a knight from within the ranks of the Worldâ€™s Edge. â€œDonâ€™t let a single cub escape! I want you to bring me the lifeless body of that dog, Furic! Kill them! Slaughter them! MASSACRE THEM!â€ A great roar came up from the army of the Worldâ€™s Edge, and the entirety of the Greatwood shook. The men of the Gray Wolf could feel it in their bones, the bloodlust of their enemy. Their many years of victory would now be revenged in one day.
The Gray Wolf soldiers did not even bother to turn around as the Worldâ€™s Edge thundered towards them, swords drawn, a war cry coming from the mouth of each and every one of them. The Gray Wolf could not move fast enough, hampered as they were by the snow and the many trees, and within moments the Worldâ€™s Edge had descended upon them. The Gray Wolf soldiers died not one at a time, but by tens and by twenties. The Worldâ€™s Edge was relentless, and they killed indiscriminately. Veterans and novices, old and young, knights and foot soldiers, all fell under the blades of the Worldâ€™s Edge. Sir Hylian, his sword one of the few that had not been destroyed, tried his best to help his comrades escape. But as skilled as he was with his sword, he could only fight so many people at once, and eventually he too had to flee for his life, lest he be overrun like all the others.
The killing did not end until the sun finally broke through the blanket of grey clouds, just before it set beyond the horizon. The snow that had just fallen pure white the night before was now stained a dark crimson. Splatters of blood could be found on almost every object in the forest. It became nearly impossible to walk without stepping on some former body part of a Gray Wolf soldier. Sir Hylian wished to go back, to see if anyone had survived, but he knew he could not. He had to press onwards, and return to the Frostlands to let everyone know what had happened. He feared this was a blow from which the House of the Gray Wolf would not recover.
1. Jester313 - Disloyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Poisoned
2. DÃ‹THKÃ–K - Disloyal Actor from the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
3. MrBallbaggins - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Throat Slit
4. Hakkekage - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Overdosed and stabbed
5. visiblehowl - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
6. DevoutlyApathetic - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Throat slit
7. precisionk - Loyal Soldier of the World's Edge - Overdosed
8. Niceguy Myeye - Devout Convert of the Transcendent Truth - Furic'd
9. Frosteey - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Overdosed
10. PsychoCucumber - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
11. iamtheaznman - Loyal Mercenary of the Iron Gate - Furic'd
12. Bliss 101 - Devout Convert of the Transcendent Truth - TehSpectre'd
13. Fembot - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Beheaded
14. Zot - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
15. Ardor - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Poisoned
16. Grundlterror - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Overdosed
17. Telcus - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Stabbed
18. Nion - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
19. Elendil - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Throat slit
20. thorpe - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
21. DamnedLibrarian - Devout Convert of the Transcendent Truth - Stabbed
22. Gorilla Salad - Loyal Knight of the Lightning Warrior - Furic'd
23. TehSpectre - Loyal Ranger of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
24. FreeAgent - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
25. Typhus733 - Furic's Confidant and Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Stabbed
26. Balefuego - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd (inactivity)
27. Anaximander - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
28. Xevo - Reformed Thief from the Gray Wolf - Dagger'd
29. zal - Loyal Citizen of the World's Edge - Furic'd
30. Squashua - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Stabbed?
31. B:L - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
32. robothero - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
33. durax - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
34. cheez - Loyal Mercenary from the Iron Gate - Overdosed
35. Oatway - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Frozen (inactivity)
36. TrueNeverborn - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - TehSpectre'd
37. Variable - Loyal Mercenary of the Iron Gate - Frozen (inactivity)
38. Zerinan - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Furic'd
39. Raakam - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Stabbed
40. Plutonium - Loyal Soldier of the Gray Wolf - Throat slit