As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAXitis 2007 (Post your post-PAX illness symptoms here!)

• Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Haha I so still can't talk, I got the cold as well and headache ever so often! BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!

Soda241 on
  • SteveDKSteveDK Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Hello friends. I've been reading Penny Arcade since forever but this is my first time posting on the forums. I felt compelled to post after the overwhelmingly awesome experience of PAX 2007. Returning to the daily grind of work on Monday was especially painful, as all day Monday and Tuesday I just couldn't get PAX out of my mind. I feel like a junkie who can't find his next fix! If only PAX was year-round!

As I reflect on the past weekend, all the great fun I had playing games and all the amazing like-minded gamers I met, one single moment keeps coming back to my mind. It happened as I was waiting in line on Friday before the doors were opened. I happened to overhear the tail end of a conversation between two other attendees; one said to the other (and I'm paraphrasing here) "He said what!? Man, you can't be dissing on Magic (The Gathering) when you're here!" and while I did not hear the initial comment that sparked these comments, his point rang loud and clear: PAX is a gathering of people who love games of all kinds. Judging others for their love of any particular game which is perceived to be somehow more "nerdy" than other games is not only uncommon at PAX, it is openly frowned upon. Hearing this exchange between two genuine gamers like myself made me feel truly proud to be a gamer. This is what PAX is all about!

Thank you Mike and Jerry for creating PAX, and thank you to all my fellow gamers who made it one of the most amazing weekends of my life! I'm counting the days to PAX '08!

SteveDK on
  • AndymatronAndymatron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got jot lagged on the way home had a sore throat and my legs wanted to fall off and When I got home passed out for 22 hours.....I don't thinks thats normal O_o

Andymatron on
    Error 404: Pants not found O_o
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zarlune wrote: »
    Sore throat
    Lost Voice
    Fatigue
    Stuffy Nose
    Post-PAX Depression

I edited it for my symptoms. I've been too busy post-PAX to catch up at all on my rest.

I think my biggest post-PAX depression is going back to my "not enough time for games" real life. Not that I don't get to play any games, I just don't have time to play all the ones I want. Which isn't even a big list.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    extremely sore feet and legs since I was walking back and forth from PAX/Shorty's all weekend.
    lack of morning headaches - from no longer going to Shorty's
    sadness - missing PAX (and Shorty's)
    tired - never could get enough sleep.

On a positive note, I think pax07 may have initiated a biweekly tabletop game night for myself and several other people.

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lack of money.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jeruvin wrote: »
    * Sore Throat
    * Some nasty phlegm
    * Sore Back, Neck and Feet
    * Sinus Stuffed Up
    * Messed up sleeping schedule
    * Exhaustion

Ditto

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • PikeGodPikeGod Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Glad I'm not the only one:

*Sore Throat
    *Runny Nose
    *My body hurts
    *Sleep Deprivation
    *A need to go Next Year.

PikeGod on
    Failure is the art of mastery. Thusly, I am a master. In many, many things.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    My voice went in and out starting last tuesday and is still a little raspy today. Literally changing every few hours between solid and barely able to speak audibly. I didn't stop talking though, that would have benefited nobody (and not because I feel what I have to say is so important, but because I was directing the CCST and what I had to say actually was important, that and so many people wanting to talk to me. I actually had somebody on the Crowne Plaza's elevator, when they found out I was Moe_Fwacky, ask to shake my hand. That was a bit of an odd experience, but I suppose it comes with the territory at this point.

edit: I forgot to mention how fucking sore my legs are

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Definitely some awesome-withdrawal symptoms going on here. I took Tuesday off work to recover, but this morning I was so tired that I probably looked drunk walking into work. Last year I was sick as hell, but (touch wood) I'm fairly unscathed this time, aside from tiredness and a croaky phone-voice.

I'm a bit depressed that after all that awesome, I'm back to the monotony of my office job. I'm also back to missing my significant other, who I'd mostly been too busy to think about during PAX. He's been gone for almost three weeks and doesn't return for another three weeks.

I also crave Counter Strike for the first time in nearly five years. Guess I'm going to have to upgrade my computer to play Source. Y'know, when I actually have money in my bank account again.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got a nasty cough at PAX on Saturday and have been nursing a bottle of the 'tussin since then.

Puny Human on
  • robidoorobidoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A feeling of sadness sitting here at my desk job, wishing EVERY DAY was a PAX day. Seriously, this is worse than the day after Christmas as a 10 yr. old. *sigh* Oh well, just that much more awesome to look forward to in a year!

robidoo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    robidoo wrote: »
    A feeling of sadness sitting here at my desk job, wishing EVERY DAY was a PAX day. Seriously, this is worse than the day after Christmas as a 10 yr. old. *sigh* Oh well, just that much more awesome to look forward to in a year!

is it can be PAX08 time now? no? 360 days to go, is it?

*sigh*

Houn on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Exactly this. :|

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • sakanasakana Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My symptoms:

sore throat
    stuffy nose/sinuses/ears
    cough
    aches/pains throughout body
    exhaustion
    extra-crunchy shoulder
    watery eyes
    I sound like Dr. Girlfriend
    swollen glands in neck

It sucks. ._. But it's better than PAX '06, when I was deathly ill throughout the entire convention and afterwards.

sakana on
  • RynoaRynoa Easton PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I went home and felt like crap only to go to the dr and find out I was infected:
    I have two ear infections, a throat infection, and a respiratory infection.
    Also, I'm sleepy and really don't want to work... work just lacks the awesomeness that is PAX

Rynoa on

www.BraidsAbound.com
    www.GCVoiceOvers.com
    Trade card with me (Rynoa, #049); Pokecrawl: Blue Silver; Twitter: muiiberri
  • M374LxH34DM374LxH34D Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It just sucks because i started college the day after pax and i got to school like 10 min before class started... it just sucks from going to kickass pax to college...

M374LxH34D on
  • zayshellzayshell Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    I didn't get sick, but I certainly had a fabulous post PAX euphoria that lasted until 5 minutes after I got to work on Monday. That's when reality came crashing down over me.
    I'm still depressed. :::pout:::

zayshell on
  • purplemooglepurplemoogle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    -does completely hating this hell hole(spokane) count as a symptom? It seems even worse after being in seattle, and the awesome of PAX.

Hang in there, dude... at least you're not stuck in Cheney :)

I'm ultra sick too, some sort of viral infection in my throat. Brilliant when I'm supposed to go back to work as a secretary and I can't speak. Sorry if I was the Typhoid Mary of all this rubbish!

purplemoogle on
  • JiraffeJiraffe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Insomnia, Sore Throat, Anxiousness

Can't wait until PAX'08!

Jiraffe on
  • GenXerGenXer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Samyel wrote: »

Me too. On the bright side, it's inspired me to start looking into:
    a) ways I can learn more at work to make it more enjoyable and rewarding
    b) new career moves closer to a job that's doing something I love to do, rather than just something I can do
    c) more friends that game, to share experiences with :)

I am determined to accomplish some steps in those directions by the time PAX '08 rolls around!

Also, I am on Pacific time now, and for some reason my body is reluctant to change back to EST.

GenXer on
    Twitter: @GenXer | Flickr: Gene Eckser | Xbox Live: Gene Eckser
  • Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Lack of money.

Yeah.. I'm feeling that one to :D!

Soda241 on
  • langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Minor aches and pains.
    Bawls-withdrawl
    Awesome-withdrawl

langri on
  • Cynd3rCynCynd3rCyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My sore throat has upgraded a bit. I got a full-on head cold and aches. :(

Cynd3rCyn on
  • BadazzBadazz Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    The Awesomeness. I want more! I want more conventions, but I think that from what I saw, it would take a miracle for any other event to match the incredible spirit and fun and atmosphere of PAX this year. Can PAX next year even reach the pinnacle that it did this year? that is my question. Last thing I want is to feel let down next year. So, Keep up the GREAT WORK. Thanks guys, I am not sick, but have one major problem.... everyone on Teamspeak keeps muting me, "tired of hearing about PAX!!!" LOL
    What to do with all the swag???? hahahaha I collected it like a fanboy on Saturday.
    Filled the back of my car with all my shtuff to go home, thinking about how to tell my biz partners about the weekend and how much they missed out, without hurting their feelings!!! rofl
    oh ya, I am an old lady, and MY FEET HURT!!

Badazz on
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    *Sore back
    *Sore legs
    *Raspy throat which is making things interesting as an inbound call center salesman (im having to deepen my voice so it doesnt hurt and everyone thinks i sound like barry white, LOL)
    *Rotten gut from train food
    *Massive migrane that I've had on an off all week
    *General fatigue (i slept for 14 hours last night, which is almost more than what ive gotten total from my whole pax trip)

In all i mostly feel like arse but im alive and kicking. I think im just gonna tough it out till the end of my shift here at work and then I'll just get home to sleep......im thinking i might call in tomorrow, we'll see how things go.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only thing I got was a raging semi.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sick, but I have bruises on my arms from carrying my computer to the BYOC room all the way from the hotel.

And I generally don't bruise, so it's become quite the spectacle at home/work. "Look! DJ has bruises!"

Bah...

DJBreslin on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    GenXer wrote: »
    Samyel wrote: »

Me too. On the bright side, it's inspired me to start looking into:
    a) ways I can learn more at work to make it more enjoyable and rewarding
    b) new career moves closer to a job that's doing something I love to do, rather than just something I can do
    c) more friends that game, to share experiences with :)

I am determined to accomplish some steps in those directions by the time PAX '08 rolls around!

Also, I am on Pacific time now, and for some reason my body is reluctant to change back to EST.

Word to all of it. I was so completely bummed all day Monday and spent most of it thinking about PAX. I wanted to holdon to the feelings of Awesome forever; remember them vividly so they wouldn't slip away.

It's now a week since PAX. A WEEK! :| And since I started a new job just days before leaving, I haven't uploaded my pictures, updated my blog (or the guild webpage and blog), or even really examined all of our swag! And forget about having time to work on my gaming!

I miss everyone from PAX - even the ones I didn't meet.
    I miss turning on Pictochat and finding people to chat and play with.
    I miss all the people I did meet: AceRimmer, Mysterio, Trainwreck, our BYOC neighbors, ppl in line, everyone from ArenaNet. (sorry if I'm butchering names!)

I was definitely re-inspired by PAX: find your passion and pursue it with everything you've got. If you're not happy with something, work to change it!

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    -sore feet.
    -sore throat.
    -mal-nutrition(Cyber-Dogs is NOT filling!)
    -over/under-caffienation. Those bawls were WAY too many cents for me!
    -lack of sleep.
    -post-PAX depression.
    -headache after the first day.
    -having to drink Diet Coke as a substitute for Bawls.

Even after all of this, I couldn't have been happier with my PAX experience!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My feet fucking hurt

Still

Like right now

kazuo on
  • MadbanMadban Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My post-PAX symptom is as follows:

-Remorse over my camera that was stolen.

What really sucks is that since I won the PC Gamer drawing, I need to get Gabe a headshot and profile of me so he can draw me to be in PA:A Episode II. And now I have nothing to take my picture with.

*sigh*

Madban on
  • person34person34 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Larungitis... Laringitis... Laringitus?

Well however you spell it, I have that, after getting all the other symptoms stated earlier.

person34 on
  • purplemooglepurplemoogle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My unofficial conspiracy theory is that the reason Jack Thompson wouldn't come speak this year (apart from being a giant pus-filled cunt) is that he'd already planned to release a biological weapon into the ventilation system. So, to everyone else who is paying for their sweet-ass good time at PAX by coughing up a lung every night, stand proud! We could be the first gaming martyrs!

purplemoogle on
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    *Depression
    *Sniffles, of the congested variety.
    *Lack of cookie-syndrome.
    *Shock-and-awe syndrome.

SergeantAuberie on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gnawing desire to hit the WSCTC after work for more wandering and gaming, even though I KNOW PAX is no longer there...

Houn on
  • 435435 [E] Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    01. Both hips: blown.
    02. Both knees: blown.
    03. Both ankles: blown.
    04. Both heels: bruised.
    05. Right heel: tendon torn.
    06. Right foot: blistered x6.
    07. Both feet: bleeding.
    08. Lower back: aching.
    09. Right shoulder: screaming.
    10. Right bicep: weeping.

God, I love Enforcing. :)

435 on
    catsig.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    OH MY GOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT I DID TO ME LEG, BUT I DID IT AT PAX

Okay, at first, I attributed the pain to general muscle soreness from all the driving, then walking, then driving again, but clearly somewhere in the 40+ hours of driving, the 3+ days of walking around PAX/downtown Seattle (including no less than two round trips from the Crowne Plaza to QFC, one carrying back hella 2Ls), and the 40+ hours of driving again, I have done some serious damage to my right leg. Pretty much, any time I stand up, sit down, walk around, lean on it or llift my legs while leaning forward, I am greeted by some seriously unpleanant, sharp pain running from the back of my upper thigh, down my calf and into my ankle. If I am sitting down and I crank my neck to look down, pain. Earlier when I was sitting here on IRC and leaned forward to hit the keyboard, sharp, horrible, excruciating pain. I'm gonna try and stop by the Health and Wellness office on campus sometime this week, hopefully it's nothing too serious (although it may be the perfect excuse to get a wicked cane). So there you go, my immune system may be invulnerable, but apparently the rest of my body is not.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• hollyellahollyella Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    I stubbed my toes numerous times, broke one nail half off and got a blood blister on another toe. I will never wear flip-flops to a con again!!!!

hollyella on
    94l\/l3r 9rr15 r0cl< !!!!
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Saturday during a 15 minute break at work I decided to play a quick game of Mario Kart DS against the computer and then did the following without even realizing it.
    1. Checked for people in Pictochat.
    2. Checked for games on download play.
    3. checked for any games of Mario Kart on Multiplayer.
    4. Started my own Multiplayer group when there wasn't one.
    5. After waiting 2 minutes and no one showed up in the game yet I yelled out "Why aren't you fuckers playing Mario Kart yet?"

I was really fucking tired and out of it that day.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.