As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAXitis 2007 (Post your post-PAX illness symptoms here!)

13»

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Okay, after consulting with my dad and going to the doctor, I now know what the fuck happened to my leg. I pinched my sciatica. I believe this happened on Saturday when randomguy and I were walking back from QFC with four 2L bottles of pop each. Either that or some of the other activity over PAX weekend killed it, but I should be back to normal within a couple of weeks. Now, off to find some Advil!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was lucky to escape Seattle and PAX with nothing more then some general fatigue and a couple of blisters on my feet.

The one major thing that happened though was I relapsed back into caffeine addiction, something I had fought hard to stamp out.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The one major thing that happened though was I relapsed back into caffeine addiction, something I had fought hard to stamp out.

Oh, so that wasn't just me. I'd really cut back on coffee, but PAX got me ramped back up to two + a day.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • ZankaboZankabo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lets see...

1) Sore shoulder from lugging my computer to the BYOC (damn thing weights like 50+ pounds)
    2) General depression that it was all over.

I didn't get sick, didn't tear up my feet (good shoes are nice to have, love my sketchers), and didn't wear myself out walking everywhere (at work I walk a few miles a day I suspect, and I'm on my feet all day also).

I also gave myself almost a week off of work after PAX so I wouldn't need to deal with reality for awhile anyways.. love having some vacation time saved up.

Zankabo on
    Better a witty fool than to have a foolish wit....
  • GraveyGGraveyG Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Mmm, well it was kind of during the event,

But before I left to go to pax a wasp stung me and it got real infected...so I couldn't do much more at pax then hobble around and sit in bean bag chairs playing DS, but yea, after I got home I missed 4 days of work straight because of my leg. u__u;;

GraveyG on
    edited September 2007
    Ouch, you should have asked one of the enforcers, I'm sure there was a first aid kit around where you could have gotten some antibiotic gel. In fact, I think they have a medic on hand during PAX, just in case. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess. But seriously, take care of yourself first, have fun second.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• petfishpetfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We actually have a whole medical team comprised of certified EMTs and nurses, as well as a lot of Enforcers who are First Aid and CPR certified just to be helpful. We're looking at some ways of making the medical team more obvious in the future - obviously we don't want people to miss out on the full PAX experience because they got injured.

(I actually hurt my ankle this year and had to suffer the full attention of our medical Enforcers when I owned up to it; I might have had a little less to complain about if they'd had someone other than me to pick on.) :D

P.S. Our medical Enforcers are wonderful people all around, incredibly nice and attentive. I'm just a bad patient sometimes.

petfish on
    <khoo> PAX WAS LIKE A ZILLION DAYS
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had no idea there were actually medical staff. Handy. Why not give them white armbands with a big red cross on it for identification purposes? It would stand out nicely against the black, plus they could call themselves crusaders.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • petfishpetfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Samyel wrote: »
    I had no idea there were actually medical staff. Handy. Why not give them white armbands with a big red cross on it for identification purposes? It would stand out nicely against the black, plus they could call themselves crusaders.

Unfortunately, a red cross on a white armband is probably out, for the same reasons the original Child's Play shirts were redesigned.

I'd rather not go into too much detail on what's being considered because it's all very up in the air right now and I'd rather be mysterious than mislead or disappoint. I'll just leave it that we realize a lot of people didn't know we had medical help available and we want to change that for next year.

petfish on
    <khoo> PAX WAS LIKE A ZILLION DAYS
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm currently suffering from mental problems.
    If I'm not still thinking about PAX and how things went overall, I'm already thinking about next year and all the planning involved with Supertrips and Enforcing again.

b0wser on
    edited September 2007
    Okay, you want to talk mental problems, here we go (by the way, that pinched nerve is still acting up). The other night I had a dream that I was presenting something awesome at PAX. It was in a theater room that was unfamiliar to either the WSCTC or the Meydenbauer, as it had a bunch of picture windows backstage (like a real stage with a whole big backstage area) and behind them was the fucking ocean. So we're prepping for the big presentation and just enjoying PAX in general, when we get word of some emergency. Knowing that the doors to the theater are mega-solid, we start heading that way, and I start pointing to people and telling them to follow us on the way. So we barricade ourselves in the theater for the time being and a few of us are working backstage on getting the presentation ready when all of a sudden some girl walks in the back door (that we didn't even know existed) and sits down to talk with us. Shortly after that, my cousin (who would never be at PAX ever) comes backstage and starts complaining that we didn't let her backstage.

So later on, it's about time for the presentation, and I'm presenting, get this, a teleporter. So the crowd's in the theater and I'm in front of a podium talking about all the technical details that I would never really know, while simultaneously messing with the 150+ button remote to get the thing working. Meanwhile the audience is getting restless for a live demo. So, right when they start getting a little rowdy, I hit the button and a bright bluish/whitish light shines on stage and in teleports... the teleporter platform. That's right, I teleported the teleporter. Cheers and applause follow, and then we go off to enjoy the rest of our PAX, which was all just slightly off from the real thing (as dreams tend to be).

Then later on we're in the hotel room and the door is open, out the door I see a sign that says "Super Mario Bros. 3" so I run out to snag it, but then discover that the sign is next to somebody who is in the process of unlocking their hotel room door, so I, ever so nonchalantly, hurdle the sign and turn around and jog back into my hotel room.

Dreams of PAX, strange and out of place, are a recurring thing for me.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, that's happened to me a few times after each year. This year's have had more detail in the dream, but then I still don't remember the damned thing. I'll be in this really awesome PAX dream, and then wake up and it's all "Hey wait, that shit never happened.. damnit!"

b0wser on
This discussion has been closed.