As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows XP Pro SP2 Woes

Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I moved into my dorm and they required us to have SP2 installed which I had avoided due to the system crippling horror stories I had heard. Now I got an SP2 disk and decided to update but during install specifically during "Install Devices" my PC crashes and talks about a memory dump. What could the issue be? Worse yet I can't log on to my normal Windows Pro anymore because a restart of my PC takes me straight back to the "setup restart" screen just and my computer in turn crashes again during device installation.

Any suggestions to remedy this issue? Could this be a fault with the CD as its SP2 for Win XP corporate edition which I have been told shouldn't matter or is it hardware related?

Thanks.

Prot3us on

• mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The problem could be anything. Best bet, boot to safe mode and delete/reinstall old device drivers. Or use system restore

Or get one of those university tech support kiddies out there to make it work. If they give you shit, find some chick with boobs (not one of them chicks w/o boobs) to ask and he'll definitely help. Make him back up all your pr0n and music if he's going to fuck it up, but don't show that chick with boobs your pr0n collection.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would do all that if I could access windows at all, right now I'm basically stuck on the install setup screen when I turn on my pc.

Prot3us on
  • cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I believe SP2 is going to be slightly different for different versions of windows, since they are set up slightly different. That could be the problem. It could also be that the CD was bad or something.

Also, you're an idiot for waiting this long to install SP2. There's nothing wrong with it, there never has been anything wrong with it. The problems you're having could easily be caused by a virus or something that's changed system files, because you were not using SP2. If that's the case, you could be really screwed.

At this point, it'd probably be best to get your original windows CD and do a repair install, and then download SP2 from windows update.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
    edited August 2007
    I don't think you understand. I can't boot to a normal running windows at all. I'm stuck between a blue screen and a setup screen that leads to said blue screen. I'm beginning to think its my hard drive. I plan on getting a new one hopefully on Friday, hopefully this will allow me to install windows and get up and running.

Prot3us on
  • cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Prot3us wrote: »
    I don't think you understand. I can't boot to a normal running windows at all. I'm stuck between a blue screen and a setup screen that leads to said blue screen. I'm beginning to think its my hard drive. I plan on getting a new one hopefully on Friday, hopefully this will allow me to install windows and get up and running.

Get your install CD and do a repair install.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
    edited August 2007
    That is impossible. I have no other options on boot up besides going to a screwed windows install screen that crashes I boot with the cd in the pc too. Its not happening, unless theres something I'm missing.

Prot3us on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You mean you don't get to BIOS/CMOS? Are there any error messages besides the device restart?

Edit: the reason I ask is that if you can get to BIOS you can boot from your install disc...

(And lord save us if you can't get into BIOS)

Uncle Long on
    edited August 2007
    Ok I fixed the problem apparently my bios is really weird about boot priority. I finally figured out how to make it boot from cd installed windows(fresh copy). Thanks for the help.

Prot3us on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Woot. Glad it all worked out. Nothing like some compy breakage to set one into panic fight/flight mode until it's fixed.

Uncle Long on