Options

Bodies aren't for drawing on (silly tattoos)

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    abuhh

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    All my tats have personal meaning.

They're not FOR YOU.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    J. Grant wrote: »

They're not FOR YOU.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that tramp stamp of a rose is for all of the anonymous truckers you entertain.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Some amazing tats:

861890507_l.jpg

tattoo.jpg

tattoo.jpg

l_3ce64390a5ce3923696b31c6214bbaa8.jpg

badtattoo.jpg

tattoo-2004-067b-716138.jpg

badtat.jpg

starwars.jpg

100_6239.jpg

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    RedTide wrote: »

They're not FOR YOU.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that tramp stamp of a rose is for all of the anonymous truckers you entertain.

That one has special meaning.

In all seriousness, I may have my wife photograph all 32 of my tats tomorrow so I can post them here. I have never undertaken such a pictorial.

You pussies.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    blue tapeblue tape Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee."

blue tape on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

They're not FOR YOU.

In all seriousness, I may have my wife photograph all 32 of my tats tomorrow so I can post them here. I have never undertaken such a pictorial.

You pussies.

Personally I'm withholding on getting any tattoos until I'm like 38 or so.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited September 2007

They're not FOR YOU.

You pussies.

Personally I'm withholding on getting any tattoos until I'm like 38 or so.

Not a bad idea. By then you'll have figured out what real pain is, you goddamn pussy.

That way you won't be crying and leaping about like a Jack Russell fucking Terrier when the tat gunner starts drilling a hole in your tramp stamp.
    In all seriousness, that's a damned good idea. I started collecting mine at the age of 20, and although I don't regret any of them, I would probably have come up with better ideas by the age of 30 or so. And it gives you time to do some research, to find the best inker in your area.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not a bad idea. By then you'll have figured out what real pain is, you goddamn pussy.

That way you won't be crying and leaping about like a Jack Russell fucking Terrier when the tat gunner starts drilling a hole in your tramp stamp.
    In all seriousness, that's a damned good idea. I started collecting mine at the age of 20, and although I don't regret any of them, I would probably have come up with better ideas by the age of 30 or so. And it gives you time to do some research, to find the best inker in your area.
    You've also saved up all the prime real estate for something you've had tons of time to plan.

That's why my back and right arm are still clean.

blue tape on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    blue tape wrote: »

You've also saved up all the prime real estate for something you've had tons of time to plan.

That's why my back and right arm are still clean.

Ehn.

I keep all my ink in places a T-shirt and shorts will cover.

Even after 12 years of collecting, I have LOTS of skin to use.

Next up, my MEMENTO MORI tat. Can't wait to get that one done.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tape, what's with the ones on your left arm?

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I consider the back and arms pretty much prime real estate (my chest is really hairy, so that's out).

If you've got 32, and that's available for major pieces... Man. Are you inking up the inside of your ass?

blue tape on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fiz. You're too quick. I've actually got some more since those pictures were taken.

So far: Beleth (forearm); Asmoday and Gaap (Back of my arm); Bael, Belial, Marchosias (Bicep); and Astaroth (Ribs).

They're Goetic summoning symbols. 72 royal dukes/kings/princes etc of hell and all that jazz. I'm neither religious nor a new age black magic nut. I just like the early mythologies of Christianity/Judaism - especially the fall.

blue tape on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I consider the back and arms pretty much prime real estate (my chest is really hairy, so that's out).

If you've got 32, and that's available for major pieces... Man. Are you inking up the inside of your ass?

I've actually gotten to the point that I've stopped counting them separately, most of the time. I literally had to sit here for a second and count each bit.

They're basically a T-shirt that runs over most of my ribs, chest, back, shoulders and upper arms.

I haven't done anything yet below the belt (although I have 4 of those already planned out).

True story - we're doing a convention with Greg Dean this weekend, and he flipped right the fuck out over my LOREM IPSUM tat on my left upper arm today while we were doing a panel. The boy is apparently a giant printing/fonts geek, so the tattoo kind of knocked him back a bit. (I got it after I sold my first novel.)

I figure I'll just start working below the lines after I fill up the t-shirt/shorts. It's not a need to prove how "hard coer" I am, since I keep them covered up 99% of the time.

But they still give me a nice feeling when I see them in the mirror each morning. Sort of like grafitti on my body. "Heya, them's MY tats."

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ooooh. I thought they were, like, circuit-board schematics or something. In case you were ever abducted by robots with blue bolts.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    HolyHesusHolyHesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    http://terrasynthesis.net/tattoo.wmv

I saw this guy at a car race. Good stuff, especially if you are at all familiar with the greater Seattle area. The second one is a wolf howling at the moon.

mmm Tacoma the douche of Washington.

HolyHesus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fiz wrote: »
    Ooooh. I thought they were, like, circuit-board schematics or something. In case you were ever abducted by robots with blue bolts.

Neh.

Half of them are related to my studies of world religions. The other half are markers denoting major turning points of my life, as well as images from my dreams. (Ten silhouettes of moths on various parts of my upper left shoulder and back, and yeah, I've gotten in a couple fights over them.)

Like I said, they're for ME. I don't give a damn if other people look at them and criticise. They don't have to live with 'em.

Although I do suspect that by the time I'm 50, I'll have a full-body set of black camo in various tribal desings covering most of my body.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I-I was talking to Blue Tape there. Sorry about any confusion.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "You know. For when the rapture comes. I'm atheist, so I'll be left behind with hell breaking loose. This way, I can control a few of the major demons."

People usually love that explanation.

@J.Grant:

I'm trying to keep mine on the long-sleeve spectrum right now. So... nothing on my face/neck/fists pretty much. I don't really have plans for anything below the belt. I'm just too hairy, and I can't stand tats that have a lawn on top of them.

blue tape on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I-I was talking to Blue Tape there. Sorry about any confusion.

YOU GODDAMN BASTARD

ALL LEADING ME ON AND SHIT

YOU'LL GET YOURS

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    @J.Grant:

I'm trying to keep mine on the long-sleeve spectrum right now. So... nothing on my face/neck/fists pretty much. I don't really have plans for anything below the belt. I'm just too hairy, and I can't stand tats that have a lawn on top of them.

I have some forearm designs I'd like to try when I get to the point that it's not a problem with emplyment.

But it is kind of cool having extensive work that can be easily covered. My coworkers have no idea. One of my friends saw them for the first time this week and she sat there open-jawed for a good two minutes.

As for hairy, shit... I'm a hairy sumbitch. When I had my sternum done, the worst part was the ingrown hairs as it healed. Now? If I want to show it off, I just take a 1 guard clipper to my front and let it show off.

It helps that all my ink is black tribal.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I ever go through a drastic life-affirming/changing/threatening moment, I will get a tattoo to remind myself what I went through.

Or if I'm shit-faced and I wander through downtown like 24 and I happen to have a sweet design I've been carrying in my wallet.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If I ever go through a drastic life-affirming/changing/threatening moment, I will get a tattoo to remind myself what I went through.

Or if I'm shit-faced and I wander through downtown like 24 and I happen to have a sweet design I've been carrying in my wallet.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

Seeing as most inkers won't touch you with a 30-foot pole if you're drunk.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It would be neat to get a tattoo, but the limitations to where it could be based on my stage-work makes it less enticing. The people who have to use foundation to cover up their tattoos before a show never seem happy about it.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It would be neat to get a tattoo, but the limitations to where it could be based on my stage-work makes it less enticing. The people who have to use foundation to cover up their tattoos before a show never seem happy about it.

So get it somewhere that most people won't see.

Ass cheek.
    Lower abdomen.
    Upper thigh.
    Back of the calf.

It's really been no problem covering mine - I keep them above the bicep, below the collarbones and above the mid-thigh.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

I know my piercer maintains this sort of policy, but I'm curious as to whether I could go to a shop sober and make arrangements for the work to be done, leave for 30 minutes, and come back faced.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I know my piercer maintains this sort of policy, but I'm curious as to whether I could go to a shop sober and make arrangements for the work to be done, leave for 30 minutes, and come back faced.
    There's a reason beyond you making an ass out of yourself - you'll bleed like crazy.

I worked in a shop before I moved here, and this was one of the hardest things to get into people's heads.

blue tape on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Ass cheek.
    Lower abdomen.
    Upper thigh.
    Back of the calf.

It's really been no problem covering mine - I keep them above the bicep, below the collarbones and above the mid-thigh.

I've been in shows where most of those were bared to the audience. Especially my calves. It just comes down to the time period the show is supposed to be set in, and the kind of tattoo that I would get. I wouldn't want a tattoo if I had to limit what it could be by that much.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

Highly doubtful.

Apocryphal stories notwithstanding, most tat artists will NOT ink a drunk person. They have to gain state permits to operate, and most states explicitly note that intoxication of any kind makes one ineligible for a tat.

And if you DO find a tat grinder that will do it, you probably don't want their services anyway. It's minor surgery of a sort.

The one exception I've found is that my regular inker (been going for ten years now) wil allow a long-time customer to do it under the influence of medical painkillers. But they really have to KNOW you first.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    There's a reason beyond you making an ass out of yourself - you'll bleed like crazy.

I worked in a shop before I moved here, and this was one of the hardest things to get into people's heads.

Totally agreed. I have a long standing tradition of getting shitfaced after my yearly tat.

After my first three instances, I discovered that it's best to wait several hours before piling the booze on. Higher alcohol content in your blood = MORE BLEEDING.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is it a health concern or a contractual business concern?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Ass cheek.
    Lower abdomen.
    Upper thigh.
    Back of the calf.

I've been in shows where most of those were bared to the audience. Especially my calves. It just comes down to the time period the show is supposed to be set in, and the kind of tattoo that I would get. I wouldn't want a tattoo if I had to limit what it could be by that much.

Then godspeed.

I have often noted that tats are a personal choice. I don't believe everyone needs ink. If your lifestyle prohibits, DON'T DO IT MAN!

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Is it a health concern or a contractual business concern?

Yes.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The soles of my feet are still an option. Wouldn't have to worry too much about them stretching in weird ways as I got older and (most likely) put on a lot of weight.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The soles of my feet are still an option. Wouldn't have to worry too much about them stretching in weird ways as I got older and (most likely) put on a lot of weight.
    It'll fade in a few months, and the work won't be guaranteed. Same with fists / hands.

My friend actually got a white square on the soul of his foot. Everyone at work looked at me like, "Wtf did you bring this kid in?"

blue tape on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Retouching is the other main reason why I've avoided it so far. The chances of me never wanting to go through that process more than once are about 99%, so it would just turn to ass more and more as time went on.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Feet are the worst place to get tattoos because it's so far away from your body, and the fact that it's inside a sock that's inside a shoe all day. Sweat and infections y'all.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Judging by the fact that you do theatre and spend time on PA, I'm guessing you don't get out in the sun enough to get repeatedly burned.

As long as you take care of them and have quality work done from the start, you won't have to worry too much.

blue tape on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Retouching is the other main reason why I've avoided it so far. The chances of me never wanting to go through that process more than once are about 99%, so it would just turn to ass more and more as time went on.

Now you're just being a big old vagina.

First off, none of my tats have required "touch up" work. There are a few slightly faded patches but you know what? Fuck'em.

Secondly, no tat I've gotten has been OH MY GOD AGONY. My ribs were pretty hard (I turned purple) and my right collarbone was murder, but seriously - if I had to do it again? In a heartbeat.

Tattoos do NOT hurt as bad as society would have you believe.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright, I'm reviving this ancient thread because I have something to post.

spoiler'd because that's bigger than I thought.
    sciencetattoo.jpg

Got this for my birthday. Good thing I already have a long sleeve shirts for interviews!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
This discussion has been closed.