As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Through the Greatwood Dead] DETHKOK and Jester313 Memorial Thread

• Options
    XevoXevo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Damn so going by the posts on the first page, not only is Ardor evil, but he's managed to use the most obviously evil tactic of tying up votes and is getting away with it! Wow... just wow. I really wish I had used my seer on him the first day like I wanted to, but after I was out I was never going to get to seer anyway with their power negation insanity.

Xevo on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Xevo wrote: »
    Damn so going by the posts on the first page, not only is Ardor evil, but he's managed to use the most obviously evil tactic of tying up votes and is getting away with it! Wow... just wow. I really wish I had used my seer on him the first day like I wanted to, but after I was out I was never going to get to seer anyway with their power negation insanity.

Nah, Ardor and I were just doin' the thing that Ardor does, which is out of game alliances.

Except, Ardor is bad luck. Because whenever I ally with him, I die Night 1. He's bad mojo!

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Dude, he's good. Says so in the narration.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shit I do really feel bad about lying about getting negated the first day, now... if I had just told people they threw green goop in my eyes and I couldn't use my power, they'd know what all the green goop meant today, too =/ Ok DA, you're right, lying only helps the bad guys, I've learned my lesson.

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You know who was the real victim in this game?

Me.

Wall of Text that is my role ahoy!
    Locus wrote:
    You are…
    A rat catcher! It’s a dirty job, but somebody’s got to do it. It’s a fact of life. If you have a city, you have rats in that city. Most people don’t like rats, so somebody has got to take it upon him- or herself to get rid of the rats. That somebody happens to be you. You weren’t very good at your job. Most of the time you didn’t even bother catching the rats. You just carried a bag of dead rats around with you and claimed that these were the rats the client was looking for. They always seemed to fall for it. Still, you felt bad every now and then for taking money from honest folk. Going to war seemed like a decent alternative. Catching a soldier isn’t really that different from catching a rat. The same tactics work. You just carry a severed head around with you, and when anyone asks if you’ve seen battle recently, you just whip that bad boy out and show them what’s what.

That’s not your entire story. You are also…

An actor! Though several previous generations had joined the military, the Age of Peace made such a career choice difficult to say the least. Instead, the lack of military conflict had given rise to an unprecedented interest in the arts. Taking the bull by the horns, so to speak, you decided to go into the theater. You weren’t the best of thespians, but you weren’t the worst one out there either. When war broke out you believed it to be a boon; many of your peers would undoubtedly join the army, leaving more opportunity for you. You failed to consider the toll war would take on the wealth of the arts’ benefactors. You found yourself out of a job, and after briefly being employed as a rat catcher, you joined all of the other out-of-work actors in the ranks of the Army of the Gray Wolf. You never expected to see any real combat, though, and now that you have you’re not sure you want to see any more.

Once and only once you may permanently copy the role of any player, alive or dead. You will immediately gain any abilities that player possessed. When you are ready, PM me the name of the person you wish to copy and as soon as I receive it you will get a PM with your new abilities, if any.
    I just made a bad (good?) choice of my target. I also blew it too early, but hey, I was going to die.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Dethkok wrote:
    So, whenever I partner with Ardor, I get an awesome role

Whenever I get an awesome role, I die.

Sounds to me like Ardor's a baddie. And as I speculated in the game after Ardor got the pass on the vote, I think he had once been super loyal, and so had a "get out of the vote" card. Essentially, he was once Furic's most loyal follower, and is now the leader of the badguys.

Xevo on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ardor was a good guy, dude. Plain and simple.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Xevo: ARDOR DIED. He was an innocent.

Also, this
    DËTHKÖK wrote: »
    Any of you fine soldier's hungry?
    Catcher of Rat's, that's my job.
    Take a rat on a stick if you want one, it's free of charge.
    Oy, it's so cold outside!
    Rather be back home then here.
    I'm so clever. Too clever, as it seems.

P10 on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Dethkok wrote:
    So, whenever I partner with Ardor, I get an awesome role

Whenever I get an awesome role, I die.

Sounds to me like Ardor's a baddie. And as I speculated in the game after Ardor got the pass on the vote, I think he had once been super loyal, and so had a "get out of the vote" card. Essentially, he was once Furic's most loyal follower, and is now the leader of the badguys.

Dude, he died, and the narration said he was a good guy.

Dethkok is referring to a deal Ardor makes with people sometimes before a phalla begins, in which they promise to share their roles, no matter what they are.

And even not knowing about this, why would you believe what Dethkok says instead of the narration?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Locus wrote: »
    Ardor was a good guy, dude. Plain and simple.

AHA! I know you're reading the dead thread!

What rule got broken, and who did it?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Xevo, I had no kills, you need to look at the narration if you want to make accusations of the dead.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ahhh crap nevermind I'm an idiot... he's sitting here in the dead thread LOL!

Anyway, this is a really weird game, I'm curious how the votes pass down, where the person with the most votes won't necessarily die. I mean, it seems obvious there's a vote tampering ability of some sort...

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Also, this

Hahah cute, hidden message FTW! So who did you actor, out of curiosity?

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ahhh crap nevermind I'm an idiot... he's sitting here in the dead thread LOL!

Anyway, this is a really weird game, I'm curious how the votes pass down, where the person with the most votes won't necessarily die. I mean, it seems obvious there's a vote tampering ability of some sort...
    Oh, I know, I know! Locus explained to me why I died after I made a fuss over Ardor having more votes then me on Night 1.

It makes me giggle just thinking about it!

P10 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Also, this

Hahah cute, hidden message FTW! So who did you actor, out of curiosity?
    I don't really want to say until she's dead, because you know, thar could be spies down here. /paranoia

P10 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I know, I know! Locus explained to me why I died after I made a fuss over Ardor having more votes then me on Night 1.

It makes me giggle just thinking about it!

Wow the mechanics of this game sound really awesome, can't wait to see the reveal on that. Nice job Locus!

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm interested mostly to see if the lists I gave contain a roughly equal distribution of bad guys. This kind of information helped in Last Son's game and it gave us good guys the game in V:tM.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't really want to say until she's dead, because you know, thar could be spies down here. /paranoia

Heh I think you may have already said too much =D

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What I love most about this game so far is how one order from one special can massively shift who lives and who dies. The interactions are just sublime.

Edit for clarification: Different specials can cause the shift.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What I love most about this game so far is how one order from one special can massively shift who lives and who dies. The interactions are just sublime.

You probably don't want to state that us without powers have virtually no control over the game. It makes for a very harsh after-game commentary.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I just can't believe how many powers the good guys have! Unless some of those nullifications came from good guys, which is always possible. But man, the good guy network is either ironclad and awesome, or completely non-existent. For the record, the closest thing I had to a network was DA, and he was also my nullified seering target Day 1.

Oh and I tried seering Squash on day 2, per DA's advice, but was undone 3 ways, his death, my death, and nullification. But at least I got a friggin' badass death!

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think he's just referring to the vote manipulations that have happened both nights so far.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The deal was, if I died clean, she had to color her cheeks red and frown and send me the picture.

I have to do the same if she's innocent.

I knew I'd be seeing her picture, I'm not sure what she is though, but I had nothing to lose.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

You probably don't want to state that us without powers have virtually no control over the game. It makes for a very harsh after-game commentary.
    You have a lot of control, actually. There are not as many abilities as you would think. Mostly it's the specials mucking with each other, not with you guys.

Locus on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am very disappointed in all our specials. Not a single one contacted me after the called vigilante kill hit a bad guy. What the fuck?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Welcome to the dead thread everyone.

Ardor, Squash, good to see you. Someday, sometime, we will be on the same team and it will be glorious.

DA, how the fuck did you pick me?

Jester313 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, so I'm going to hate Tehspecte forever.
    Because he bandwagoned me for Haiku.

P10 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Because certain people successfully stated you are not to be trusted. If the village is smart, they will look back to see who those people are.

I hope they use those voting blocks I gave them, it should help them in a few days.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I am very disappointed in all our specials. Not a single one contacted me after the called vigilante kill hit a bad guy. What the fuck?

Yeah I really don't get what's going on with the network at all. And you were 100% right, I really wish I had mentioned the green goop that kept me from using my power day 1 now... =/
    Jester313 wrote:

Dude even I thought you were massively suspicious. Look at this post:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=2741338&postcount=241

That was practically all you posted Day 1, and the timing of it made you stick out like a sore thumb.

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jester313 wrote: »

I will tell you a secret, but you must promise not to tell....
    I wasn't the vigilante.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So I can't wait to see Tehspectre down here now. He's either evil, or he's not paying attention and he's being a retard.

I've got enough respect of him to assume he's not being a retard.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If it's evil he's playing a weird ass game.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, here's why Hakk posted those pictures. She came up with the idea, I figured what the hell, I'm not living long this game anyways.
    Hakkekage wrote:
    Ardor wrote:
    Hakkekage wrote:
    Ardor wrote:
    Hakkekage wrote:
    Ardor wrote:
    Hakkekage wrote:
    Ardor wrote:
    Hakkekage wrote:
    Ardor wrote:
    Hakkekage wrote:
    Ardor wrote:
    No hard feelings, I thought I would let you know.

I just thought you'd at least read the last page when you have time to make a vote to see if you can see what people are up to quickly. There was a post or two on the page you posted on that would've cleared everything up for you.

Sorry dude. No hard feelings either.

But I think you're evil.

Also, why were you gunning for a tie between yourself and DETHKOK anyway? if you go down together how is it going to help you? You wouldn't have been here to accuse me if all had gone according to plan. If I was a baddie, with time enough to consider the fact of the tie's importance at all, don't you think I would have considered that at all?

What I think is, you knew you were getting out of that tie alive. There is something you know!

Also you are evil.

Your face will be very red if you think I'm evil. I deal with statistics and long term plans. What I did last night won't be truly useful for several more days.

I wanted a tie because having 2 big bandwagons gives us more to analyze in terms of votnig records, than does a single prominent bandwagon.

Plus, we had no clue what a tie vote would do and we didn't know if any vote manipulators existed, we got a lot of answers last night to those questions by aiming for a tie. As you very well know, more niformation helps bridge the gap between the bad guys and innocents. I aim to bridge that gap, that's all.

Besides, I know that taking no action allows the bad guys to run circles around us. I should know, I was a bad guy in a game much like this with little to no information available and we were successful in manipulating everything.

I have a red marker to my face just in case that happens, don't worry.

Look, man, I don't spend a lot of time analyzing the importance of ties and breaking them. I honestly did not believe I was doing anything wrong when I made that vote.

When I turn up good promise me you will color your face red too.

I'm not the one voting for you though. You'll need to find a better target out there as one we will elevate the vote to. I'd suggest not trying me because I will fight it, killing me is bad for the village and it's beyond day 1, so I will be trying now.

Excuse me, sirrah, but you not voting for me directly is immaterial since the suspicions about me are being singlehandedly disseminated by you. So excuse me if I find that copout a bit weak.

I will expect pictures of your red and frowning face mister

It's going to take a lot of red marker then. I'm half Japanese so I'm quite white compared to regular Americans.

Besides, all you need to do is post why you think someone else should be voted for. I don't mind if you want me and VH to play the tie vote game, because when I die innocent, you have buried yourself in the process, hence why I think you need to find someone else.

And it will look double suspicious if I suddenly change my tune now. Besides, I don't have anyone else I can put my finger on. Not even PK. I can usually always put my finger on PK.

PS I promise I will take a picture of my face, red, and frowning (It will be harder for me on account of the brown skin, too). The shock of seeing such a misshapen creature may instantly kill you anyway, so mission accomplished Hi5!

Just so I get this right. If either of us dies innocent, the other must paint their face red and send the picture to the other, is that the 'bet' we are taking here?

I already know your face will be red, I'm just deciding whether I'm willing to paint my face red on your faction.

I know your face will be red.

And you don't have to paint your entire face, just two big apologetic circles on the cheeks.

Chances are we will both have pictures to send to each other.

Ok young lady. I will take you up on this bet. Perhaps my face will be red, but in the end, I'm hoping my gamble will prove useful in future scenarios. even if it cost me my pride and my face coloring.

Besides, as someone stated, we can't always be wrong about you!

Yes. Yes, you can.

We, sir, have a deal.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wow amazing question by Telcus, and stupid fake PM by TehSpectre... I mean it's got spelling/grammatical mistakes in it, which none of the PMs I have seen share.

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So, I think it's hilarious that I die clean and everybody just ignores Zot. It annoys me that I had to leave for work, I'm not positive if I made a mistake on the speadsheet or if he deleted a post but I know he did the same thing yesterday.

Bah.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm guessing he might be a vote manipulator of sorts.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    I'm guessing he might be a vote manipulator of sorts.

He went back and edited a post on day 1 that I could have sworn implied it much more clearly.

I just noticed when I was building the spreadsheet that he'd retracted a vote during crunch time yesterday and cast a vote that didn't change anything. I'm really curious if he did edit/delete something after I called him out.

I'm shocked nobody asked him why he didn't immediately go "What, where?" but waiting like an hour before saying anything of the sort.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I've previously been really suspicious of the way Zot acts and votes in these games too... I don't know if it's intentional or not, but he switches between saying things that are just outright lies, to very carefully worded and thought-out observative posts.

Xevo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Heh, I was looking at Tehspectre's guide on how to be evil from the D&D game.

Basically, you stay active enough and hide in the background while hoping to get lucky.

If I'm not mistaken, most bad guys do that and it means you are hoping you don't get hit by a vigilante or the village for being 95% useless.

The only reason laying low works is because, as every game including this one shows, the village and vigilantes etc enjoy killing vocal players.

Like, why did I get targetted DA? Do they really think if I was a bad guy I'd advertise a 2 way tie between me and another bad guy? That should've basically told everyone I'm innocent or completely stupid, I'd like to think not many think I'm completely stupid.

I guess people enjoy letting the RNG decide the winner.

Ardor on