As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sam & Max Season 2 Thread - GameTap 11/8, Global 11/9

SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Telltale just sent over 8 new screens and said that the trailer from PAX was now up on the site for everyone to see.

Trailer is here: http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmaxseasontwo

Screens:

sammaxs02_01_thumb.jpg sammaxs02_02_thumb.jpg sammaxs02_03_thumb.jpg sammaxs02_04_thumb.jpg sammaxs02_05_thumb.jpg sammaxs02_06_thumb.jpg sammaxs02_07_thumb.jpg sammaxs02_08_thumb.jpg [url=][/url]

http://www.snackbar-games.com/news/new_sam__max_season_2_screens-2729.html

Snowcone on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can only hope this has more Flint Paper.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Haha! Whack Da Rat! Add a Snuckey's as a location and my adventure gaming life is complete.

I still really need to get around to finishing season one...

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's a shame it looks like they didn't implement the improved shading in the trailer with these screenshots.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If by "improved shading" you mean "pre-rendered cinematic with in-game assets".

Glal on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hm, I gotta ask, what are your thoughts about the Season 1? Maybe I gonna pick up the Wii edition that is supposedly coming out this christmas here in Europe, but I don't want to spend €40+ for a short and only mildly entertaining game. Does it really reaches the highs of the original game as some forumes here make me want to believe?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Season 1 was fantastic. It started out slow, but it became really great towards the end. The humor was consistent, though you can tell they switched the voice actor for Max about 3 times or so. If you like the original Sam 'n' Max you should definitely get Season 1. The writing is superb, and there's a lot of it.

As for comparisons to the original game? Well, there isn't a lot of variety in the early episodes, and the voice acting isn't as good. The series really opens up in the later chapters, though, as you can tell they gained experience from the first few. The writing is just as good, in my opinion, and it has a memorable cast of characters, which, as much as I like it, the original game really didn't; it relied more on the main characters and the surreal environments they traveled to. In that vein, Season 1 is more traditional, and a bit more down to earth, even though it does get crazy at times.

I'll definitely get this as soon as it is released.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I need to finish season 1. I am in the middle of Episode 3.

I think they are getting better as they go along. Episode 2 was just a really great time in the TV Studio.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Season 1 was tons of fun and I will agree with what people have said. I think like a TV show, it needed time for the actors to find their voice and the writers to really get their style down.
    After episode 2, I turned off the subtitles and text for the pointer and just my enjoyment grew tenfold.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really need to pick up season 1, but my wallet is so overburdened with so many good games. If this were a true lucasart's game I would buy it in a second. Nonetheless, I know I will pick it up eventually.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Were there ever any plans to release the Sam and Max cartoons onto DVD? I never got around to watching them but I loved Hit the Road. It seems like any Sam and Max revival needs the cartoon series, too.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I could have sworn I heard that some company is planning a release for it. Not sure when, though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really need to pick up season 1, but my wallet is so overburdened with so many good games. If this were a true lucasart's game I would buy it in a second. Nonetheless, I know I will pick it up eventually.

Honestly, after seeing what Telltale has done with the game (though I haven't finished the whole season yet), I trust them more than I currently trust LucasArts. Mind you, if this was the LucasArts of Monkey Island days, I'd answer differently, but I doubt they exist any more. The current LucasArts hasn't made anything compelling for me personally in a while.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    schmads wrote: »

Honestly, after seeing what Telltale has done with the game (though I haven't finished the whole season yet), I trust them more than I currently trust LucasArts. Mind you, if this was the LucasArts of Monkey Island days, I'd answer differently, but I doubt they exist any more. The current LucasArts hasn't made anything compelling for me personally in a while.

I assume he meant in their day. I would say that Season 1 goes above and beyond the original game in some respects. The puzzles make more sense (which may be a problem because they are easier) and the conversations are pretty much perfect. Minus the bugs and if they had more character and scene variety in the first couple episodes, I'd have no problem handing this over to people first.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    See, its been so long since I played the original game its hard to tell, but I remember it having some really fun parts (Though maybe they weren't fun I dont know). Stuff like the Freak Circus, the cube of ice and hte ice pick at teh end/sauna and the giant ball of yarn.

Then again maybe I would just like some more varied environments.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is this coming out for the Wii? Or for anything besides PC?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Is this coming out for the Wii? Or for anything besides PC?

I thought the first season was coming out on XBLA.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Were there ever any plans to release the Sam and Max cartoons onto DVD? I never got around to watching them but I loved Hit the Road. It seems like any Sam and Max revival needs the cartoon series, too.

You can watch a lot of them on Gametap, which is nice if you have a subscription to play Sam & Max already.

I've been a huge fan of Sam & Max since Hit the Road was released (It was my first "talking" game and was completely hilarious), and I was glad to see Telltale not completely rape my precious childhood memories. I actually enjoyed episodes 2 and 3 a lot more than I thought I would considering how they got relatively blasted in reviews. The rest of the episodes comprise an upward progression of quality and humor. I'm really looking forward to season 2.

I don't even really care if they change the graphics or gameplay. Leave it the same but keep the funny situations, interesting puzzles, and witty dialog coming and I'll be happy.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My problem with the original game is that there just isn't a whole lot of content. It's a short game, and there's not really a lot of dialogue in comparison to other Lucasarts games like Monkey Island. Season 1 fixes both of these problems with gusto, but loses out on the extreme unpredictability and spontaneity of Hit the Road. Either way, it's a great purchase if you like older adventure games - it's definitely reminiscent of Lucasarts' prime.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I bought Season 1 on disc today. My first thought was disappointment that this is yet another PC release that doesn't even come with a 10 cent jewel case. Am I a terrible person?

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm, I just discovered that my retail bought Sam & Max Season 1 is infected with SecuROM. Is it true that the subscriber version isn't? Other than that, what's the difference?

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Seems the first episode is out tomorrow (or today if you're going to play it via Gametap). Anyone else excited?

On a related note, The 4th episode of the first season, Abe Lincoln Must Die, is now free. So anyone who hasn't tried out the new series yet now has no excuse not to.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Season 1 really didn't have a jewel case? I thought they came in one of those nifty plastic DVD case/ box things that most new games are put in. http://telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc.

EDIT: oh cool, they're going to have a reprint of surfing the highway

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For reals? Hell Yes!

After thoroughly enjoying season 1 I'm more than happy to repeat my pre-purchase of the entire season. It went from strength to strength so here's hoping for a continued improvement.

I can't seem to find anywhere on the site where they'll take my season 2 money however...

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Embargos on reviews are lifted today too so you should see reviews start to trickle out.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can't seem to find anywhere on the site where they'll take my season 2 money however...

:(

Glal on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Downloading the free episode. I used to love Sam and Max the original back in the day, but completely forgot they started to make new games with them!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    For reals? Hell Yes!

After thoroughly enjoying season 1 I'm more than happy to repeat my pre-purchase of the entire season. It went from strength to strength so here's hoping for a continued improvement.

Today is GameTap only. Tomorrow is the global release.

Snowcone on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Snowcone wrote: »
    For reals? Hell Yes!

Today is GameTap only. Tomorrow is the global release.

I'm sure with season 1 I had pre-purchased many weeks before actual release. Maybe my brain is failing on me, or maybe they were more desperate for capital then, who can tell.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    Season 1 really didn't have a jewel case? I thought they came in one of those nifty plastic DVD case/ box things that most new games are put in. http://telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc.

EDIT: oh cool, they're going to have a reprint of surfing the highway

Nope. Someone at The Cover Project put together a cover for it. Temp link is in this thread: http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=1071.0

I'll post a perm-link to the cover in a few.

Edit: Link to the cover: http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=5942

Snowcone on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Max voice actor got sick, so they changed guys. The original plan for the cancelled game was to have the original VAs fight dopplegangers voiced by the TV show VAs.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I remember seeing it in the plastic DVD case at Comic-con, I just threw the link in there to show what it looked like.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My wallet is already reeling from this month, totally forgot this hits tomorrow. I very much enjoyed Season 1 though, so I am all over this like white on rice.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Woot! It's out. Downloading right now.

Huzzah! Widescreen resolution, no more windowed play for me.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just finished with Episode 1 of Season 2. I think it is significantly better than most of season 1; more locations, several new characters, slightly more intricate puzzles. All around, very well done.

Story Spoiler:
    I especially enjoyed the tasks from the three spirits of Christmas. They were able to reuse existing areas and make them feel fresh, since you were interacting with them at a different time. Also look forward to getting Sam & Max trapped by lava, perhaps at the end of Season 2?

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just beat ALMD!

I liked it. Shame I won't get to play 5 and 6 unless they freeware those too.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've heard something about one of the first season episodes being free on Steam.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've heard something about one of the first season episodes being free on Steam.

I don't know about Steam, but Season 1 Episode 4 is currently available free via Gametap.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    it's free on fileplanet and steam.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    aaand done with season 2 episode 1. All the puzzles were pretty logical and I didn't really ever get stuck. I'm glad somebody (I'm looking at you valve) knows how to do episodic content right.

vhzod on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just beat Season 2 episode 1. Random thoughts (major puzzle/story spoilers, don't click until you've beaten it)

- I like that they crank up the crude just a little bit for this one. Jokes about Bosco's "package" and the like were pretty hilarious, but they didn't go overboard. This is pretty much the level at where I want to see these games in terms of raunchiness.

- Did anyone else spend 20 minutes trying to figure out what the bomber was supposed to be used for, before the final puzzle? :P

- Fucking around with the timeline via the spirits was interesting. The present and future portal puzzles were pretty ho-hum, but I loved the past portal, messing with Jimmy Two Teeth and his wife. Beating Jimmy up with a robot doll to ruin his boxing career, stealing his wife from the past, using her to convince him not to jump in the present, and then stealing his boxing glove, so you can give it to him in the past to restart his career? Too funny, so very brilliantly Sam and Max in that charmingly demented way.

- I also thought the trivia contest puzzle was fairly clever too.

- Telltale seems to be getting better at making logical puzzles that aren't blindingly easy. The only one I struggled with was helping the Bug get rid of his family in the past. I think a lot of people will get the general idea of what to do, but won't figure out that the treated snow is what you need to accomplish the job. I kind of tripped over the solution to this randomly.

All in all, while just a little short, I enjoyed it, and look forward to the next episode.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png