As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 disc read errors

NorayNoray Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I just bought a 360 about two weeks ago, and about 3 times now it refused to read the disc while loading a new area, twice in Dead Rising, and once in Bioshock, which was literally a spotless disc as it was obviously brand new and I hadn't even taken it out of the 360 yet. I checked the disc and there was absolutely nothing visibly wrong with it. Is this something the 360 just does occasionally or is it a problem and should I contact Microsoft about a repair/replacement?

Noray on

• Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    your avatar is perfect for this moment. Sounds like it might be some hiccups. Don't know how severe it can be

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    (...)Is this something the 360 just does occasionally or is it a problem and should I contact Microsoft about a repair/replacement?
    Those are the symptoms when the dvd-drive is dying. Sooner or later you will be calling MS.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That avatar is perfect for everything.

Disc read errors are not normal. Sounds like something you might want to go ahead and get fixed just in case it gets worse later on.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That avatar is perfect for everything.

Disc read errors are not normal. Sounds like something you might want to go ahead and get fixed just in case it gets worse later on.

I was having this problem on a routine basis with Dead Rising and occasionally with other games and had Microsoft replace it for me.

I'm inclined to think that the reason it happens more with Dead Rising is that it only reads from the disc occasionally and will let you tool around for long periods of time where it can spin the disc down again. When it spins back up, it fucks up and you get an error. Now, I could be mistaken, but regardless of why, it's still a hardware problem, so get it replaced.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I just bought a 360 about two weeks ago, and about 3 times now it refused to read the disc while loading a new area, twice in Dead Rising, and once in Bioshock, which was literally a spotless disc as it was obviously brand new and I hadn't even taken it out of the 360 yet. I checked the disc and there was absolutely nothing visibly wrong with it. Is this something the 360 just does occasionally or is it a problem and should I contact Microsoft about a repair/replacement?
    Is is the HDMI Premium 360?

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    No, it's a regular premium.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I'll contact Microsoft. I take it this falls under regular warranty hardware failure and they'll fix/replace it free of charge? How does this work?

Noray on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hopefully they'll put in the new BenQ dvd drive which come with HDMI premiums.

Hoz on
  • Options
    TinMan1997TinMan1997 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No, it's a regular premium.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I'll contact Microsoft. I take it this falls under regular warranty hardware failure and they'll fix/replace it free of charge? How does this work?

This should be covered, no problem. Tip- before you call, pop the DVD in another DVD-Rom drive and make sure it is recognized, because they will probably ask you to do something like that.

I've never had the three red rings (is there an emoticon for that? OOO) but when my DVD-ROM drive started acting up, they told me to send in my xbox, and I had it back two weeks after putting it in the mail.

TinMan1997 on
    logo_top.gif
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I get this same problem occasionally while playing Dead Rising.

Sucks that it happens to your pretty much new unit.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fuck, my Xbox 360 just died from Disc Read errors a few days ago, but I had an EB Games warranty. I went to EB games to swap out my core, and when I got home I noticed they had given me a launch core. My previous core had a september 2006 date, this one has a november 2005 date. I'm pretty pissed because I know earlier hardware had even worse failure rates.

Should I take it back and demand a new one? I paid an extra $40 for a new warranty, but that doesn't excuse giving me hardware which is pretty much guaranteed to fail.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fuck, my Xbox 360 just died from Disc Read errors a few days ago, but I had an EB Games warranty. I went to EB games to swap out my core, and when I got home I noticed they had given me a launch core. My previous core had a september 2006 date, this one has a november 2005 date. I'm pretty pissed because I know earlier hardware had even worse failure rates.

Should I take it back and demand a new one? I paid an extra $40 for a new warranty, but that doesn't excuse giving me hardware which is pretty much guaranteed to fail.

Wait until it dies, my Gamestop hasn't had cores in over a month. By the time it dies, they'll probably have to give you an HDMI premium or a new Core-replacement SKU.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    theclam wrote: »

Wait until it dies, my Gamestop hasn't had cores in over a month. By the time it dies, they'll probably have to give you an HDMI premium or a new Core-replacement SKU.

If I do that, I'm going to have to pay another $40 to renew the warranty again.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    I have this problem, but only with DVD movies. Random freeze during every third movie I watch and they "Attempting to read media..." or something like that.

Echo on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I too made the stupid mistake of taking their scam of an extended warranty. You do realise this new Xbox they gave you has no warranty with MS unlike your first one? This is why I'm not using their warranty.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

I too made the stupid mistake of taking their scam of an extended warranty. You do realise this new Xbox they gave you has no warranty with MS unlike your first one? This is why I'm not using their warranty.

wait, what? Has no warranty with MS? Like, not even against 3 rings?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Clutch414Clutch414 Dodge Swinger.... ...WHENEVER IT FEELS RIGHT!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll put in the new BenQ dvd drive which come with HDMI premiums.

The DVD drive on my 360 started acting wonky about a couple of months ago. Every once in a while when I would put games in...I would get the white screen which would say "To play this disk...please place in a Xbox 360 games system." I took that as meaning my DVD drive was on the way out.

Thankfully, I had the Best Buy warranty and went a returned it last week. I was able to get a shiny new HDMI Premium. Also, I got the difference between the cost I paid for my first 360 ($400 USD) and the new reduced cost (~$350 USD) of the HDMI Premium in Best Buy store credit. So...not only did I get a sweet new HDMI Premium...but I got $50 in Best Buy store credit of the ever-so-sweet long green to boot. And I didn't have to re-purchase the warranty either. The one I purchased with my previous 360 carries over. I made sure to confirm that with the service manager before I left the store.

YAY BEST BUY!!!!

I'm pretty sure it has the BenQ drive. It seems to run much more quietly and smoothly to my untrained ears. The entire system seems to run a lot more smoothly overall.

Just an FYI...I'm pretty far into Bioshock and I haven't had that framerate stutter that was mentioned in the Gamespot review.

EDIT: Spelling

Clutch414 on
  • Options
    Clutch414Clutch414 Dodge Swinger.... ...WHENEVER IT FEELS RIGHT!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

New HDMI Premiums are most definitely covered by the 3-year red ring warranty from MS.

Clutch414 on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just take it back to where you got it. Tell them of the problem. Most places are cool enough to let you switch out hard drives.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Clutch414 wrote: »

New HDMI Premiums are most definitely covered by the 3-year red ring warranty from MS.

As far as I know, when you get one of those stupid refurbs from the store, they have no warranty from MS. At least, this is what the clerk told me.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    As far as I know, when you get one of those stupid refurbs from the store, they have no warranty from MS. At least, this is what the clerk told me.

My bad...I didn't know that they replaced yours with a refurb. Did you purchase your original 360 new?

Now...I'm not normally a one of the EBStop bashers, but that's awfully shady of Gamestop to replace a unit that was purchased new with a refurb (if that is in fact what they do).

Thankfully Best Buy doesn't do that. I brought my broken 360 to the service/returns counter, showed them the warranty paperwork, and they let me go and pick out my new one. When I got back to the counter they had the gift card with $50 store credit on it waiting for me. Ok...enough of me being an unpaid Best Buy shill. :P

Clutch414 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

thats not what they did. The warranty I bought lets me go in with my broken 360 and swap it out with a new one. Factory sealed. Not refurbed.

Also, my 360 isn't an HDMI premium. It's a core.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

thats not what they did. The warranty I bought lets me go in with my broken 360 and swap it out with a new one. Factory sealed. Not refurbed.

Take it back. They screwed you over.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MegoDrDoomMegoDrDoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you can take it back where you bought it from, do so.

I was getting these for a while on my 2nd 360 (first one RODd on me) and put up with it for a while. The final straw was in C&C3 when I finished a battle and when it tried to load the after action report I got a disk read error.

An hour of work gone.

So I had MS replace it. Unfortunatly it was during the time they annouched the new warranty info. It took over a month to get my xbox back because of delays (this is what i was told)

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Options
    edited August 2007

That's what they TOLD me when I was asked if I wanted to take the warranty, that I'd get a new 360. So I bought a completely brand new 360 from them, with that extended warranty, and when it broke down, suddenly, the terms aren't the same. What they offered me is a refurb, and since it'd be a refurb and not a new one, it would have no MS warranty, and I'd need to buy a new extended warranty for that refurb because I'd "use up" my warranty for the replacement.
    Of course I didn't take it. I called Microsoft instead, since EB's "extended" warranty actually goes on during MS's one, not after, and I sent my 360 to Microsoft. I asked MS the new one they'd send me would still be under what's left of the one year (and if I extended with MS, if the extended warranty would continue), and the guy was really surprised, like: "Well of course it continues. If the warranty, even extended, stopped after the send-out of a new system, that'd be really crooked."

So basically, I burned 50$ at EBgames for a stupid scam I'll never use. I'm buying the 3-yr warranty from MS, and sending my 360 to them as many times as it breaks.

This taught me to hate EBgames/Gamestop, even when it's irrational.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    MegoDrDoom wrote: »
    If you can take it back where you bought it from, do so.

I was getting these for a while on my 2nd 360 (first one RODd on me) and put up with it for a while. The final straw was in C&C3 when I finished a battle and when it tried to load the after action report I got a disk read error.

An hour of work gone.

So I had MS replace it. Unfortunatly it was during the time they annouched the new warranty info. It took over a month to get my xbox back because of delays (this is what i was told)

I don't think that's an option, because it's an online place that doesn't have actual stores, just a big warehouse. So unless I send it back and they send me another one... don't see it happening. But I suppose I'll call them tomorrow and see if it's possible, it would probably be quicker than sending it to MS and having them fix/replace it.

Noray on