Options

One month in L.A. the good and the bad

1235711

Posts

  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    sarukun wrote: »
    People that shit on Southern California completely baffle me. I read bullshit like Urian's post and wonder if we're talking about the same state.

    The Movie industry? Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck do you even know in the movie industry? Good friends of our family are extras for films and commercials, and that's the only people I know that are even remotely connected with Hollywood. I don't consider them "the movie industry". The closest I've ever got to "the movie industry" was a damn movie shoot that closed off the 105 on ramp right by LAX when I flew back to Taiwan, and I freaked out because I thought some horrible highway chase had gone wrong.


    Seriously, fucked up police cars all over the damn place, it was rad.

    I know a bunch of people in the movie industry, but that's because of my background in theatre. I was also hiring actors for a while... which sucked. A lot of them tend to be fickle self centered fucks.

    futility on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fun Fact: Los Angeles is a large city and most of the people who live there have nothing to do with the film industry

    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fact: LA stands for Los Angeles, but it can also stand for large anus

    Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Fact: LA stands for Los Angeles, but it can also stand for large anus

    Actually it's short for
    El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Poriuncula

    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maybe I should change the thread title

    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oden wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    Oden wrote: »
    Sydney, Australia.

    Good: It's not Brisbane.

    Bad: Shit costs money.

    Australian dollars are like rape dollars

    so things are like you know, cheaper

    no they're not

    most things here are more expensive than they are in other countries like cars and clothes because the dollar is so weak

    property in this city is stupidly expensive and I would hate to live in Brisbane or Perth right now were inflation is like a million percent because of the mining boom

    things are cheaper for ME there

    Perth was pretty awesome

    and yeah a mining boom

    we had one of those back in 1849

    ZeroFill on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Something about a place saying, "You know what's going to be the future here? Mining."
    Makes me think it isn't a very good place to live.

    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I mean, california's motto is ηὕρηκα (Heureka (Eureka (I have found it ("it" refers to gold in this instance (nested parentheses are awesome)))))

    Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I mean, california's motto is ηὕρηκα (Heureka (Eureka (I have found it ("it" refers to gold in this instance (nested parentheses are awesome)))))

    Christ
    Are you cross-nerdposting?

    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yes
    si
    sum
    oui
    go'i

    Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seriously, what's with all the hate? LA isn't that bad. I like getting to go down there. If I could afford it I wouldn't mind moving there. And the people aren't all bad. There are plenty of really nice people (though apparently we have bad road-rage or whatever).

    Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I love living in California.
    But LA can go fuck it's self. Nothing good has ever happened to whenever I go there. Even when just driving up or down the I-5 in LA.

    The traffic is fucking horrible, it's always overcast or smoggy as fuck. It makes me feel sick whenever I make a trip like that.

    But the second I get to Orange County, everything clears up, the traffic, the weather. Shit, even the fucking birds are singing because they know they're not in LA.

    Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I guess I'm just used to the bad air. I've never had trouble with it. And, like my uncle said, I'm a 'city-girl'. Said as such because I am as listless as humanely possible when taken to go camping. Man, that sucked.

    Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    Brisbane, Australia.

    Good: a few really cool bars and clubs to hang out and drink.

    Bad: Literally like three good places.

    All ive got is the brew house.

    GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    sarukun wrote: »
    People that shit on Southern California completely baffle me. I read bullshit like Urian's post and wonder if we're talking about the same state.

    The Movie industry? Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck do you even know in the movie industry? Good friends of our family are extras for films and commercials, and that's the only people I know that are even remotely connected with Hollywood. I don't consider them "the movie industry". The closest I've ever got to "the movie industry" was a damn movie shoot that closed off the 105 on ramp right by LAX when I flew back to Taiwan, and I freaked out because I thought some horrible highway chase had gone wrong.


    Seriously, fucked up police cars all over the damn place, it was rad.

    Ok, cool, you have a different opinion than mine so obviously becoming an asshole is customary. Don't try to insult my intelligence if you just have a different stance on a topic. You may see nice people, while I may see mean people.

    Urian on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    sarukun wrote: »
    People that shit on Southern California completely baffle me. I read bullshit like Urian's post and wonder if we're talking about the same state.

    The Movie industry? Are you fucking kidding me? Who the fuck do you even know in the movie industry? Good friends of our family are extras for films and commercials, and that's the only people I know that are even remotely connected with Hollywood. I don't consider them "the movie industry". The closest I've ever got to "the movie industry" was a damn movie shoot that closed off the 105 on ramp right by LAX when I flew back to Taiwan, and I freaked out because I thought some horrible highway chase had gone wrong.


    Seriously, fucked up police cars all over the damn place, it was rad.

    That was probably them filming Die Hard. We got warnings on base that we'd be hearing explosions so don't call the SP's

    Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    150cc wrote: »
    BusterK

    Go to the Grove and the Farmer's Market

    Go to Amoeba

    Go to Diddy Riese

    Go to El Cholo

    Go to C&O Trattoria

    you're not allowed to go to diddy in those red and yellow clothes

    wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    I live in Carlsbad (San Diego for those who don't know where Carlsbad is) so yeah I am a typical socal'er, but you have to have a lot of money to live in Santa Monica, much less L.A.

    I don't know why the fuck anyone would want to live in either of those places, unless you dig the hollywood scene. But then again i've lived here since I was born, so as soon as it's viable for me to move, i'm moving FAR away, maybe even Europe. Just because I like movies doesn't mean I respect the industry. I think the people who work in the movie business are absolute scum (while some can be very good people, though).

    you're from carlsbad



    not san diego

    wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    How the fuck do some of the posters here afford to live in Santa Monica?
    good job filling the stereotypical southern californian role there, urian

    teefs this is a retarded statement about a retarded statement that does not make sense (neither retarded statement makes sense)

    wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wombat wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    How the fuck do some of the posters here afford to live in Santa Monica?
    good job filling the stereotypical southern californian role there, urian

    teefs this is a retarded statement about a retarded statement that does not make sense (neither retarded statement makes sense)

    par for the course

    ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wombat is in the movie industry.

    Perhaps you have heard of a lady called Dame Judy Dench.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So apparently borfase is driving to LA right now.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wombat wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    I live in Carlsbad (San Diego for those who don't know where Carlsbad is) so yeah I am a typical socal'er, but you have to have a lot of money to live in Santa Monica, much less L.A.

    I don't know why the fuck anyone would want to live in either of those places, unless you dig the hollywood scene. But then again i've lived here since I was born, so as soon as it's viable for me to move, i'm moving FAR away, maybe even Europe. Just because I like movies doesn't mean I respect the industry. I think the people who work in the movie business are absolute scum (while some can be very good people, though).

    you're from carlsbad



    not san diego

    everything south of LA is basically San Diego

    we can only hope to one day follow Demolition Man's example of a San Angeles dystopia

    and Schwarzenegger as our president

    ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    everything south of LA is basically San Diego
    Uh. No.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    wombat wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    I live in Carlsbad (San Diego for those who don't know where Carlsbad is) so yeah I am a typical socal'er, but you have to have a lot of money to live in Santa Monica, much less L.A.

    I don't know why the fuck anyone would want to live in either of those places, unless you dig the hollywood scene. But then again i've lived here since I was born, so as soon as it's viable for me to move, i'm moving FAR away, maybe even Europe. Just because I like movies doesn't mean I respect the industry. I think the people who work in the movie business are absolute scum (while some can be very good people, though).

    you're from carlsbad



    not san diego

    everything south of LA is basically San Diego

    we can only hope to one day follow Demolition Man's example of a San Angeles dystopia

    and Schwarzenegger as our president

    no see this is why I hate people like you

    Santee, Carlsbad, Scripps Ranch, etc are not fucking San Diego stop tarnishing our reputation

    wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    wombat is in the movie industry.

    Perhaps you have heard of a lady called Dame Judy Dench.

    :winky:

    wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wombat wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    wombat wrote: »
    Urian wrote: »
    I live in Carlsbad (San Diego for those who don't know where Carlsbad is) so yeah I am a typical socal'er, but you have to have a lot of money to live in Santa Monica, much less L.A.

    I don't know why the fuck anyone would want to live in either of those places, unless you dig the hollywood scene. But then again i've lived here since I was born, so as soon as it's viable for me to move, i'm moving FAR away, maybe even Europe. Just because I like movies doesn't mean I respect the industry. I think the people who work in the movie business are absolute scum (while some can be very good people, though).

    you're from carlsbad



    not san diego

    everything south of LA is basically San Diego

    we can only hope to one day follow Demolition Man's example of a San Angeles dystopia

    and Schwarzenegger as our president

    no see this is why I hate people like you

    Santee, Carlsbad, Scripps Ranch, etc are not fucking San Diego stop tarnishing our reputation

    no, only downtown san diego is san diego, where the homeless people are angry that you're encroaching on their turf, when they're not busy making the general area smell like urine

    I see your point

    ZeroFill on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Schwarzenegger as president.

    Who's next?

    I am, of course.

    PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Teefs just thinks we're savages because our city doesn't have as many 24/7 buffets as his city does.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Teefs just thinks we're savages because our city doesn't have as many 24/7 buffets as his city does.

    It would be nice if San Diego had greasy douchebags blocking the sidewalk so they could try to give you a little flipbook of porn.

    Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sorry Teefs, we just aren't as cultured as you.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fiz wrote: »
    Teefs just thinks we're savages because our city doesn't have as many 24/7 buffets as his city does.

    It would be nice if San Diego had greasy douchebags blocking the sidewalk so they could try to give you a little flipbook of porn.
    My God! This is straight porn! Have you no shame, sir?

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Do you have fun scoffing at the out of towners from your high rise condo?

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also: fuck downtown anywhere

    be it San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, and ESPECIALLY Seattle

    ZeroFill on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I should've read this thread before. Way more L.A. fellows than I knew about. What is up, doggies? Would one of you like to give me a job?

    Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Me first.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only thing I do not like about where I live is that the nearest Red Robin is in Glendale, which is like a fifteen minute drive even without traffic.

    'Cause man, I love me some Red Robin.

    Poorochondriac on
Sign In or Register to comment.