As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bicycle for a fatty?

CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I weight just under 300 pounds. I've adjusted my diet and I'm walking for about an hour each day, so I'm dropping weight pretty well. Long story short, I want to purchase a bike to commute (in a town of about 20,000) and facilitate further exercise, but I'm not sure whether it's feasible due to weight limits on bikes. Advice?

Cheezy on

• kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A sturdy bike would be fine and asking your local bike shop about weight limits should help too since they know best.

And careful with biking, if you don't do regular cardio and such you'll be getting tired fast, so make sure not to get in over your head (what I'm saying is, make sure you don't spend $500++ on a bike that you might think you'll get tired of using since it's too hard in a few weeks).

I suggest buy some cheap boxing gloves and a sandbag, a few feet on metal chains and a strong brace from Home Depot ('round $50 total, since you live a relatively small area the local farmer [?] or handyman could just give them too you, hell sand is FREE :D). And with that work out your cardio first, there's plenty of guides on the internet for you to throw proper punches and such so that should be no problem.

And trust me, skipping rope+punching a sandbag for a few hours will tire you out and build up your cardio, then in a few weeks when your body can take the arduous task of a biking commute you should be fine and dandy (i.e you won't stop every few blocks for air).

You might live fairly close to your work (in a town of 20k I guess you do live pretty close no?) so biking a short distance should be fine with a good bike; but the boxing will help you too ;):D.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    careful with a punching bag if you are inexperienced in punching and have weak wrist muscles. You'll fuck up your wrist so quickly, and it does not recover quickly. So if you do go that route, don't start off with the heavy bag

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I weigh just over 330 and my Roadmaster handles fine under all that weight. Get on that bike.

joshgotro on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    kathos wrote: »
    A sturdy bike would be fine and asking your local bike shop about weight limits should help too since they know best.

And careful with biking, if you don't do regular cardio and such you'll be getting tired fast, so make sure not to get in over your head (what I'm saying is, make sure you don't spend $500++ on a bike that you might think you'll get tired of using since it's too hard in a few weeks).

I suggest buy some cheap boxing gloves and a sandbag, a few feet on metal chains and a strong brace from Home Depot ('round $50 total, since you live a relatively small area the local farmer [?] or handyman could just give them too you, hell sand is FREE :D). And with that work out your cardio first, there's plenty of guides on the internet for you to throw proper punches and such so that should be no problem.

And trust me, skipping rope+punching a sandbag for a few hours will tire you out and build up your cardio, then in a few weeks when your body can take the arduous task of a biking commute you should be fine and dandy (i.e you won't stop every few blocks for air).

You might live fairly close to your work (in a town of 20k I guess you do live pretty close no?) so biking a short distance should be fine with a good bike; but the boxing will help you too ;):D.

Would jumping rope be advisable if he's overweight? There are concerns about knees from running, I would thinking jumping rope would be worse?

BlazeFire on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    We got a Trek Navigator 300(?) last year around this time at a LBS model-year clearance, and it seems pretty sturdy. Weighs like 20 times more than my FX hybrid.

If you haven't yet, probably want to talk to a doc about an exercise plan too, to make the most of a workout. I hate walking (hence my bike), but will probably want to continue walking + biking so you don't strain anything (including your heart). IANACP (I am not a cardio physician).

MichaelLC on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    IANACP (I am not a cardio physician).

I would only hope that the general assumption on these boards is that no one is a cardio physician unless otherwise stated and proved

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    mastman wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    IANACP (I am not a cardio physician).

I would only hope that the general assumption on these boards is that no one is a cardio physician unless otherwise stated and proved

Great but maybe you should concentrate on not posting unless you have something specifically useful to say.

And suggesting jump rope as cardio to an obese individual is fucking terrible advice. A bike is so much more appropriate it's hard to even quantify how stupid it is to suggest a jump rope over one.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cheezy wrote: »
    facilitate further exercise

Tips for this:
    Ride into the wind on the first leg of your journey. Ride as far as you feel comfortable with, since on the return you will have the wind working on your side.

Be sure to stretch fully before you ride, always.

As for buying the bike, just go in to a few shops and ask for advice.

noobert on
  • kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A 300-pound body frame isn't really obese, (me hovering around 275 a few years back), it all depends on what OP's height is. Also factor in muscle mass.

Ex: 250 lbs would be considered fat if you had that, but if the person's 6 feet tall and with large muscle mass they would

Now 250-300 is a big jump, but considering OP doesn't spend ALL his time indoors eating chips and he's not a dwarf, he should be a fatty, but not a huge blob.

On the topic of skipping rope: skipping rope takes a lot of energy, and someone who doesn't do too many workouts should tire quickly but a good 10-15 minute rope skipping session beats a full jog or run any day.

On punching bag: it's hard to even keep your fists up in a good position for an extended period of time and punching, OP would last a good 100 or so punches before the arms tire out (I know you're working out your arms, but cardio is key here).

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay you find me a medical definition of obesity that allows for the sort of BMI that anyone who weighs 300 pounds and is under 7 feet tall would have to not be obese. Then you can keep posting in this thread. Until you do so you're welcome to post in absolutely any other thread on the forums.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • EuphoriaEuphoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I weighed ~280ish when I started on an entry-level road bike with skinny 23c tires. I got flats all the time, I stripped the non-drive crank on three occasions, and I was always getting my wheels trued at the shop. Sometimes I'd even puncture twice on the same ride, leaving me roadside for a half hour until someone picked me up.

In short, buy a mountain bike.

Euphoria on