As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Audiobooks? (Recommendations + Discussion)

2»

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Also "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman - read by Lenny Henry, it's brilliant.

The audiobook reading must be fantastic because that book was pretty much tripe. It's like the entire book was premised off of a pun title.

I swear I'm the only person that enjoyed that book.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    I think that I will write a book called "Planet of the Grapes" and make the main character some mild-mannered British wage slave who's bored with the mundaneness of everyday dreary English life until exciting fantastic happenings start occurring around him and an exotic goth-tinged woman arrives on the scene.

I'll make millions. My publicity snap will be black-and-white, sidelit and morose.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I was thinking how awesome it would be if Avery Brooks (the guy who plays Benjamin Sisko) did an audiobook, 'cause he has such a great voice. Well, turns out he did Roots and I'm tempted to get it. Roots is a great story in itself, so it'll probably be good.

I was flipping through channels a few years ago, and went by PBS or the Discovery Channel or something, and they had a documentary on lions or somesuch. I watched for like 5 seconds and heard the narrator, and went "Holy Hell! That's Avery Brooks!" I watched the whole thing even though I didn't really learn anything new, just because I liked to hear him talk.

When the big ice storm hit Kansas a few years ago, we entertained ourselves by reading the entirety of the Hobbit out loud. It was so fun, we did almost all the Lord of the Rings that way, just passing off to another reader whenever someone got tired. We didn't make it through Return of the King. People were having trouble fitting the weekly reading into their schedules.

EDIT: IMDB tells me he also did a voice in Gargoyles. Sweeet.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png