As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving "My Documents"

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
TweakUI lets me change my "My Documents" folder to wherever. The problem is, some programs stick crap in there without asking. I'm looking right now, and Battlefield 2, for instance, has created itself a folder and stashed a few files.

If I switch "My Documents" to some other folder far, far away, will this screw up existing programs? More importantly, will new programs I install start stashing their crap in the new folder, or will they still stick it in "C:\Documents and Settings\Danny\My Documents" where they go by default right now?

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    nah, you can do this without TweakUI in Windows, it's a normal feature.

I've been doing it in Windows for years, I keep a "Documents" folder on a seperate HDD, and just point "My Documents" to that folder. That means whenever I have to reinstall windows, I don't have to worry about backing up my documents, since they live on a seperate hdd. Re-install, point windows to the folder, and it's like nothing happened.

Basically, programs look for "My documents" and windows can make "My documents" any folder on the HDD, it just defaults to the normal one. Any pgoram looking for "My documents" will go to the new folder you tell it to go to.

tl;dr: you're fine.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The location of My Documents is retrievable as a variable. Very few programmers would be dumb enough to explicitly program "C:\Documents and Settings" into their application.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    The location of My Documents is retrievable as a variable. Very few programmers would be dumb enough to explicitly program "C:\Documents and Settings" into their application.

In other words, yes, it will break some programs.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It is unfortunate that it is a non-zero number of them doing it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »

It is unfortunate that it is a non-zero number of them doing it.

Actually, one of the guys who programmed a patch for F.E.A.R. did that, so if your system drive was anything but C:\ it would fail to install.

Oddly, this error only occured in the patch distributed via the internet. The patch was required for the Extraction Point expansion pack, and the version on the disk worked fine.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Alright, guess I'm boned then. I don't feel like uninstalling 3-4 games just to move My Documents. Thanks everyone.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I doubt it. I moved it without a fresh install.

Like others said, it's just a variable. Except for the above mentioned F.E.A.R patch all your other games don't say. save in C:\My Documents\Name of game. They tell the computer to save in /MY DOCUMENTS, windows figures out where that variable directs to.

I don't think it'll be a problem. But if you're worried, leave it alone.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, just move it and try it, if it doesn't work, move it back. Not hard. To change it quickly, right-click on it on your desktop and choose properties. Click the "Move" button in the target tab, and choose where you want to put it.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Right, it's not the new games I'm saying would break, it's the games that already stored stuff there. They won't be able to find it again.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes, they will. Just do it. Your games aren't looking for "C:\documents and settings\you\game" they are looking for "$MYDOCUMENTS$\game" where $MYDOCUMENTS$ is any location you set it to.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg