As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post your favorite artists - NSFW/56K

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    I definitely agree with Bombsy. You two can feel free to continue your argument but you can not do it in this thread. Take it to the chat thread if you wish to discuss further.

And Highlander, try not to take comments so personally. You like something and somebody else doesn't. Opinions are not fact and you can like whatever you want. If you wish to continue this discussion in the chat thread then I will be happy to add my opinion to the mix.

Grifter on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    So....art. Most of my favorite pro artists are here. So I'll post some DA stuff since thats unfortunately where like half of my art browsing is right now.

sweetmoon does simple, simple anime, and I love it so:

Little_Dancers.jpg

Yukata_by_sweetmoon.jpg

Dragonflys_by_sweetmoon.jpg

Rob G, aka Briteshine, Colors I adore:

Aethena_vs_Merlot__by_briteshine.jpg

The_Tentacle_Manifestation_WIP_by_briteshine.jpg

Sub, Aka Deadbear, Constant inspiration:
    tree_by_deadbear.jpg

Kappauka, again with the anime:

Tiger_by_kappauka.jpg

Rozefire:

City_Escape_by_Rozefire.jpg

Iruka on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Iruka on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All-time favourite: Linda Bergkvist

Also, she has a couple dozen works on here.

Samples:

mehach1.jpg

dontwhisper.jpg

cardgames.jpg

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MarloMarlo Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Joe Navarro

A lot of his latest stuff, which are comics, can be found at www.poorboycomic.com
    (He does not write them, for the most part.)

034___Katamari_Vs__Big_Daddy_by_Poorboy_Comics.jpg

029___Pirates_and_Peg_Legs_by_Poorboy_Comics.jpg

009.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

Marlo on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Speaking of web comics, I just found Dean Trippe's Butterfly.

2007-08-03.gif
    2007-08-19.gif
    2007-09-05.gif
    2007-09-21.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So uhh I'm going to mention some dudes who I think are pretty cool, even if they're not 2D illustrative artists. I find them awesome and inspiring anywho!

Andy Goldsworthy - Coolest stuff I've ever seen. Makes these visually amazing/interesting pieces in nature from whatever he can find in nature. Pieces things together with thorns, spit, twigs, etc.

0810933519.jpg

andy.jpg

iris-l.jpeg

Craig Mullins - already been mentioned, but goddamn is he fabulous. I really, really want to learn how to do texture like he does. (Great texture is seen in the much larger images on his site)

71581281.TIZbEVKR.jpg

piratesword_mullins.jpg

Feng Zhu - Pretty fabulous...excellent colors, atmosphere, and yet still manages that blocky paint-like technique in his stuff, which I love, and cannot see to duplicate adequately just yet. :P

env_feng_image01.JPG

Aubrey Beardsley - awesome, awesome use of negative/positive space. A very cool, very deceased dude.

beardsley_450.jpg

ctmpphptoavoduk8.jpg
    ...and just about half of the people on ConceptArt.org.

NightDragon on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I want Bill Watterson to Have My Babies!

Everything this man has done in Calvin and Hobbes i love. He approaches comics like a craftsman, without goint snobby and artyfarty. He had the 20-pound iron-cast balls to refuse merchandising contracts which would've more than likely paid for even his grandchildren's college fees (plus an lifetime supply of gold-plated ivory backscratchers). Best of all, he quit while he was ahead. Assuring the world that his life's work wil never ever be ruined and never go stale.

I respect how much he had his character's style nailed. he deliberately kept his sketches messy, without detail, so that his linework would remain fresh. lovin' the line with variations...
    candh.jpg

I think he would've made quite a good animator as well, because of the way he handles scenes like this one:
    calvin.gif

And besides being a great writer and inker, i absolutely adored his aquarels...
    Calvin-and-Hobbes.jpg

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Say I find a guy I new guy who is the shiznit. Can I post him in a new post or should I add it to my old one?

Tam on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Make a new post. Personally, I wouldn't notice an old post being edited unless it was an OP.l

DMAC and Firman did a guest comic for that: http://www.tencentticker.com/butterflycomics/2007/01/02/guest-art-month-calvert-firman/

bombardier on
  • deantrippedeantrippe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey thanks!
    bombardier wrote:
    Man, that was a good guest strip. It's absolutely the reason why I run the strip in color now, AND why me and John Campbell constantly refer to Butterfly as "B-Fly."

deantrippe on
    edited September 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    Make a new post. Personally, I wouldn't notice an old post being edited unless it was an OP.l

DMAC and Firman did a guest comic for that: http://www.tencentticker.com/butterflycomics/2007/01/02/guest-art-month-calvert-firman/

Coo.

BEHOLD THE GREATEST CITYSCAPEs YOU WILL EVER BEHOLD. By Imperial Boy; haven't found a site. These scaled down photofucker versions don't really do the pieces justice. They're actually monstrous 7mb, 2800X1600 files. Is there any site that will let me upload and link at full res?
    1190918414838-2.jpg

1190929341350-1.png

Nighttime
    1190929207658-1.png

Ninja Edit:
    Imperialboy04.jpg

Tam on
    edited September 2007
    oh my god.

:shock:

NightDragon on
    edited October 2007
    oh my god.

Fuck yeah, right? I nearly pissed my pants when I saw these. If you want the Hi-Res versions, pm me and I'll email them to you.

Needless to say, I use them as my desktop wallpaper now. I even wish I had a mac laptop now so I could get it to fade between the day and nighttime ones.

Tam on
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    teamquiggan on
    edited October 2007
    WOW, there is so much to look at!

NightDragon on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Linda Bergkvist:

tathaniise.jpg

45074_1140614023_medium.jpg

gone-closeup.jpg

gone-closeup2.jpg

http://www.furiae.com/images/gone-closeup3.jpg

Marko Djudjevic

SVTU05-Cover_flat0003low.jpg

Blade7-Coverfinal.jpg

117b1363ada051e62cfef010.L.jpg

a6a31363ada041e62cfef010.L.jpg

Bobby Chiu:

49534_1178862133_large.jpg

49534_1175778463_medium.jpg

Syd Mead (All-traditional?)

torus.jpg

sid-mead.jpe

primextra.jpg

And of course, mostly everybody at talent-fests like Gnomon and Massive Black..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    visti wrote:
    49534_1175778463_medium.jpg

Oh that is brilliant

Brolo on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I went through all of this hoping to see someone who's name I forgot. He does DC art and covers with these awesome graphic elements. Last I saw he did Blade and Spiderman. I can't remember his CA.org name and it seems like his thread disappeared there, because it was one of the biggest and now I can't find it. Oh well, this is an awesome thread.

Michael Bills. Awesome style, I wish he had a website instead of a blog so that it was easier to find the better stuff.
    wolverinefall%2Bsketch.jpg
    rain%20at%20dusk%20colors_michael_bills.1.jpg
    7-2-2007sketches.jpg
    portrait.jpg

Who doesn't love Cheeks?
    Scratchin_Vinyl_by_cheeks_74.jpg

Already said, but can't be said more than once. Alex (DeadBear).
    tzar.jpg
    morningstar.jpg

Robert A.K. (also noshadowmaster on CA.org). I love his ideas, a lot of the stuff he creates looks like characters I'd want in a certain book I'm writing.
    final9vq.jpg

(ConceptArt doesn't allow image-linking) http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=196280&stc=1&d=1188787769

playingdead18bg.jpg
    template9qr.jpg

There's more, I just can't remember them...

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tam wrote: »
    oh my god.

Fuck yeah, right? I nearly pissed my pants when I saw these. If you want the Hi-Res versions, pm me and I'll email them to you.

Needless to say, I use them as my desktop wallpaper now. I even wish I had a mac laptop now so I could get it to fade between the day and nighttime ones.

Zip those up and rapidshit (rapidshare) them right now. OR PERISH!

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
    edited October 2007
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Already said, but can't be said more than once. Alex (DeadBear).
    tzar.jpg
    morningstar.jpg

The first one reminds me a lot of Frank/Ehmavisca's work, and the 2nd is like he and Scosglen did a collaboration, heh!

NightDragon on
    edited October 2007
    @ND: I can see that.
    me wrote:
    I went through all of this hoping to see someone who's name I forgot. He does DC art and covers with these awesome graphic elements. Last I saw he did Blade and Spiderman. I can't remember his CA.org name and it seems like his thread disappeared there, because it was one of the biggest and now I can't find it.
    I just realized that I meant Marvel, not DC, and I really wish I could find out where he went. It's been on my mind for over a month.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I believe you're thinking of Marko Djurdjevic.

Munch on
    edited October 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    I believe you're thinking of Marko Djurdjevic.
    D::| :x

I thought so! that's frustrating, because when I looked at his CA thumbnail none of the pictures they have up reminded me of his marvel stuff. Oh! He did delete his old thread. See, there's a new one that was made on Sep 27 which has new stuff and stuff from the old thread. I was just combing through "It's Finally Finished!" to find his old thread. Ugh...Anyways, thanks.

Marko Djurdjevic (Better link). Best comic art I've ever seen. Just these covers make me want to go buy the books.
    Thunderbolts111-Cover-FINAL03low.jpg
    Daredevil95-Final.jpg
    NAMOR-issue4-FINALklein.jpg

srsizzy on
  • EpiEpi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Andy Goldsworthy is a personal hero in both his creativity and acceptance of the ephemeral nature of his work.

On an artistic note, and a forum favorite, Alduar has proven adapt at everything I ever wish I could be. If abstraction and prowess with color could make me hot, his do.

02.jpg

china3-46.jpg

sp3-92.jpg

5.jpg

Epi on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    I wonder what he's up to now.

bombardier on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Balls deep in work at the Massive Black atelier.

Scosglen on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ah ha! Finally found him again! Stumbled across this guy from some obscure D&D website and found these surreal pics to be simply amazing.

Jacek Yerka & link: http://www.yerkaland.com/

Yerka5.jpg
    Yerka4.jpg
    Yerka3.jpg
    Yerka2.jpg
    Yerka1.jpg

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, yeah. Deadbear, I remember him posting the Alexander character designs on Eatpoo and I was floored. And yay for more Marko. Too bad I can't find his He-man redesigns as posted on CA.org.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bumskee-

heavy_gunner_4.jpg

minyum_sanctuary_s.jpg

matteo de longis -

capgirl.jpg

Mutilata-KS.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So there are all these really awesome digital artists out there. Do any of them sell poster sized prints of there work or something? It seems like they don't.

Also shame on all of you for not mentioning ralph steadman yet.
    http://www.ralphsteadman.com/

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • RedPearlRedPearl Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Long time since last I posted but this thread needs some Sam Kieth. He's my favorite American comic artist by far. I love his writing too obviously.

These two are from his newest 6 part series called Scratch:
    page01.jpg

cover.jpg

This is from another Batman comic he did:

batman_lobo0001.jpg

And this one is from his legendary comic, The Maxx:

maxx.JPG

RedPearl on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tam wrote: »

BEHOLD THE GREATEST CITYSCAPEs YOU WILL EVER BEHOLD. By Imperial Boy; haven't found a site.

GUESS WHO HAS!
    http://tksn.web.infoseek.co.jp/
    HE IS FUCKING AMAZING.
    For more of his pics go to the top right of the page with all the little numbers and click on them.

Love love.

Lewis Rice on
  • ApathyKillsApathyKills __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    most my favorite artist really aren't all that obscure, but I suppose I'll post them regardless of the fact that most if not all of you know who they are.
    audrey kawasaki:
    'naisho'.jpg
    brl2.jpg
    heinrich kley:
    loveslabor.jpg
    kley_450.jpg
    Edward gorey:
    Edward%20Gorey2.gif
    kisforkateqv3.gif
    doubtfulguest.jpg

ApathyKills on
    deleted courtesy orikae
  • ApathyKillsApathyKills __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Francis bacon:
    bacon_study1953.jpg
    painting.jpg
    arthur rackham:
    rackham_350.jpg
    ralph steadman:
    HST_by_Steadman.jpg
    Flying_dog_logo.jpg
    maurice sendak:
    3863.gif
    sendak-mostri.jpg
    sendak1.gif

ApathyKills on
    deleted courtesy orikae
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man I didn't know Ralph Steadman did flying dog, that would explain why I've always loved this beer.

Prospicience on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I come bearing more artists to......bear.......

Albertus Seba. A master of nature and life drawing. I just picked up his Cabinet of Curiosities, and its pretty fucking amazing.

414254ba.0.jpg
    page_fp_seba_curiosities_25_01_0705301859_id_14414.jpg

Julie Taymor. Simply the best when it comes to stage and costume design. There. is. no. fucking. other.

scarpt.jpg
    liionking1208.jpg
    flutepj1_1119971719.jpg

It shoudl also be noted that none of these photos do the artists justice, in even the slightest meaning of the word. Its just that there's little available online. If you have a chance to pick up Seba's Cabinet of Natural Curiosities, or Taymor's Playing With Fire I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT!

Buckwolfe on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some talented stuff in here. I'm no artist, but I figure I'd throw one out there; anyone familiar with Blizzard entertainment will recognize him

Samwise Didier

Super Namicchi on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i love the art from warcraft, ever since i was in grade school and would stare incessantly at all the sketches in the early manuals.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company