As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PCXL -- OMG THEY'RE BACK

1235»

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Hey, a question for anyone that's actually got this magazine--are there humorous little quips written up and down the sides of each page, like in the PCXL of yore?

That's the best part.

I think I had already been reading the original magazine for three or four months/issues before I realized the goldmine hidden in plain sight on each page. I went back and read every single one-liner, and looked forward to them in each new issue more than anything else about the mag.

Captain K on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My favorite section was the reader's mail. Not an issue would go by that they didn't tell at least 3 or 4 writers what fucking idiots they are (and yes they really WERE fucking idiots) =D

The fan mail was the best I'd ever seen in a mag.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    this is a typical example of intellectual humor you'd excpect in every issue

goofusjc7.jpg

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    this is a typical example of intellectual humor you'd excpect in every issue

*Snip*

Omg I remember that article. Classic!

Bamelin on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, I gave in and bought the issue.

So I left the store with PCXL and Maximum PC in hand.

Let the reading commence.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    victor_c26 wrote: »

I was only able to flip through it in the store. I'll be grabbing it next week. How is it?

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    I don't mean to sidetrack the conversation, but when a group of female players are enamored considerably moreso for their gender than they are for their game playing skills, doesn't that defeat the purpose? I mean, isn't it a case of blatant sexism, somehting I don't think most women are big fans of?

Like how Gametrailers and Kotaku can't mention Jade Raymond without tagging 'beautiful' onto her name, as if that's somehow the most important thing about her. It's hard for me to see those PCXL covers and not instantly remember why there used to be a complete lack of girls into games.

That said, I think the FD are kinda different, since they're themselves celebrating the fact that they're girl gamers, rather than just happening to be girl gamers that guys pant over in a vaguely pathetic way.

Girls gamer celebrating the fact that they're girl gamers are worse than then guys who drool over them.

EDIT: I should add that this isn't a anti-frag doll post. I've played with a few dolls on Halo 2 and spoken to Rhoulette on the Splinter Cell forums (she is the Frankie of Ubisoft, last I checked) and they're all really cool girls.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    You mean like the Spice-Girls celebrate being "spicy" girls? They're just a marketting tool, and as far as marketting tools go they've got nothing on the old MASK cartoons.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Has anyone grabbed the new mag yet? I haven't picked up my copy yet, I'm dying to know if it captures the PC Accerator vibe of old.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »

I was only able to flip through it in the store. I'll be grabbing it next week. How is it?

It's not quite what it was.

It's similar, but more "grown up". Since the old crew is just that, older. They even make a point of the irony in that they are now the people they made fun of back then.

It's still similar, but not exactly like it was in the good old days.

I'm going to email Norman requesting more PCXL, and possibly more shenanigans and tomfoolery from the crew.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I ordered it off of Amazon since the closest store that might carry it is an hour and a half away.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

It's similar, but more "grown up". Since the old crew is just that, older. They even make a point of the irony in that they are now the people they made fun of back then.

I'm going to email Norman requesting more PCXL, and possibly more shenanigans and tomfoolery from the crew.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking forward to grabbing my copy.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I checked it out at B&N today. It looks like a lot tamer version of the old one. A lot of the more subtle things were gone (the notes in the margins) and there were a LOT of ads.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Looks like there is an official announcement over at PC Gamer ... they even linked to this thread :P
    PCGamer wrote:
    9/05/07 - PCXL
    By Norman Chan, Senior Executive Intern

You might’ve heard some rumors on the interwebs that PCXL magazine is making some sort of zombified resurrection. Like most things you read online, bold speculation and claim end up being a mix of truthiness and poppycock. Such is the case here. A magazine with the moniker PCXL is indeed for sale on newsstands across the continent, but instead of full-fledged ongoing publication, this new edition of PCXL is a one-shot special issue.

As the brainchild of PC Gamer’s now ex-Editor-in-Chief and yours truly, this magazine is our report on gaming’s current cultural climate. This includes exposes on internet memes, game cakes, conventions, competitive gaming leagues, and as you can deduce from the cover, girls. We’ve scored a revealing interview with the Fragdolls, Ubisoft’s clan of kick-ass female gamers. Trust me, our embarrassing attempt at repartee with these women is worth the price of admission alone.

So I hope I’ve cleared things up for anyone confused by the sudden appearance of hotness steaming up the gaming section of your local newsstands. I hope you'll give this issue a chance, and I’m definitely interested in hearing what you think of it. Love it, and we’ll be glad to bring you another issue. For those who hate it, I’ll quote PC Acclerator’s legume mascot, Limey: “Screw you.”

Cheers.

http://www.pcgamer.com/

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    thats awsome he linked to this thread

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I just wanted to comment ... I finally choked up the 12.99 Canadian for the mag ... it was almost 15 dollars after tax D:

After reading through it I give it my full recommendation despite the price. The magazine is filled with referrals that people who read the old magazine will appreciate and for those who never read the old PC Accelerator I think that PCXL will still have some humour you guys can appreciate. Speaking for myself I haven't laughed as much reading a gaming magazine since ... well since 2000 when I picked up the last issue of PC Accelerator.

While it may be abit more muted than before they haven't lost their touch. And even on the subject of them being muted ... well they did mention
    that one of the QuakeCon 2007 attendees was caught "jerking it" (actual words hehe) at 4 AM in the morning.

Now THAT'S the PC Accelerator I remember. :P

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    so for reasons I dont feel like going into, I have not received my copy yet (Amazon has some 'splainin to do) but I'm allegedly going to get it with in a week.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm curious to hear what other people think of the mag, let me know your thoughts Basticle. After reading it fairly in depth last night I'm satisfied. I hope though that they get enough sales to justify another issue ...

after tax it was pretty expensive ... not sure how many people will be willing to drop 9.99 US/12.99 Canadian for a mag.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm curious to hear what other people think of the mag, let me know your thoughts Basticle. After reading it fairly in depth last night I'm satisfied. I hope though that they get enough sales to justify another issue ...

after tax it was pretty expensive ... not sure how many people will be willing to drop 9.99 US/12.99 Canadian for a mag.

I bought both MAXPC and PCXL, so my total was around $22. I shruged the cost, heh.

Did you email Norm to let him know though?

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    got it today. only skimmed through it. will report back later.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    2 things:

1.) PCXL! Will definitely snag this to support the cause. It's really kinda sad actually that magazines are starting (have started?) to go by the wayside since being able to pick up a well thought out article, full res screenshots, in depth stories, and back issues are something that work to the medium's advantage, especially with how "UP TO THE MINUTE" most internet sites choose to be nowadays.

Also, i'm a design fag, so print makes for warm fuzzies. :)

2.) Reading through this thread and it's FD derailment, it's interesting to note that people who have actually talked with members of the group have generally nothing but positive comments to share. People who haven't met or talked with them are the ones jumping to criticize at every bend. Mabye a hint should be taken at this point?

The Frag Dolls i've met have been genuinely endearing people with a real love for gaming, with Calyber and Jinx being among the better people i've ever met. Drez sums up the whole thing beautifully (yet another good person), so read his posts again if you need a refresher.

Just my two cents.

Polago on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It pains me to say this, but, I didnt like it. The first 20 pages was just pictures of stuff you can buy and was just ripped out of Maxim (the boring part of Maxim). Some of the features were interesting (like the cakes and the action figures) and the little bits with former PCXL staffers were cool but other than the "games and tech" section everything was pretty boring and felt like every single other computer/game related magazine in existence. basically it felt pretty much nothing like PCXL. if they want more of my money they need to focus more on the games and tech (and hot chicks would help :) ) and less on the "gear"

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It pains me to say this, but, I didnt like it. The first 20 pages was just pictures of stuff you can buy and was just ripped out of Maxim (the boring part of Maxim). Some of the features were interesting (like the cakes and the action figures) and the little bits with former PCXL staffers were cool but other than the "games and tech" section everything was pretty boring and felt like every single other computer/game related magazine in existence. basically it felt pretty much nothing like PCXL. if they want more of my money they need to focus more on the games and tech (and hot chicks would help :) ) and less on the "gear"

Send a letter over to norm, let him now. It would only help.

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    link?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    link?

It's in the magazine, hold on.

norman@pcgamer.com

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    WOOHOO!

Meiz on