Options

Linux Thread - beta version 5 build 6200 alpha release 2

• Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can someone please explain what advantages KDE is meant to have over GNOME please? I've installed Kubuntu Desktop over my Ubuntu install, and have set the session to KDE, but I'm having issue finding any advantages so far.

Yet I hear people singing praises for KDE a lot... Why do you like KDE/GNOME?

Rohaq on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2007
    I came home today to a new problem, perhaps somebody can point me in the direction of figuring it out. I'm currently running Kubuntu 7.04 and using checkgmail 1.10.1 to check my e-mail, mostly for forum reply notifications, as it allows me to archive, mark as read, delete, report spam, etc from the pop-up notification. Well, today, I returned home to find the only command that works anymore is Open. Attempts to issue other commands causes the text to respond as normal, but the commands are no longer getting through. I'm curious if anybody else has run into a problem like this. Could this be due to a change in Gmail itself? I just noticed that version 1.12 has been released, although hasn't made it's way to the ubuntu universe yet, because I already attempted to remove and reinstall the program. I am going to give this a try, but any other information would be helpful. Also, what do you guys use for e-mail if not checkgmail?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Rohaq wrote: »
    Can someone please explain what advantages KDE is meant to have over GNOME please? I've installed Kubuntu Desktop over my Ubuntu install, and have set the session to KDE, but I'm having issue finding any advantages so far.

It's not fully apparent from a plain install as you have to customize your desktop before you start seeing the differences. Superkaramba is a big difference as it allows desktop widgets that, I think, look better than what's available in Gnome. Additionally, KDE 4 will support the OSX Dashboard from what I've read.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it actually running though (Tracker)? Is it in your sessions?

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited November 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    I came home today to a new problem, perhaps somebody can point me in the direction of figuring it out. I'm currently running Kubuntu 7.04 and using checkgmail 1.10.1 to check my e-mail, mostly for forum reply notifications, as it allows me to archive, mark as read, delete, report spam, etc from the pop-up notification. Well, today, I returned home to find the only command that works anymore is Open. Attempts to issue other commands causes the text to respond as normal, but the commands are no longer getting through. I'm curious if anybody else has run into a problem like this. Could this be due to a change in Gmail itself? I just noticed that version 1.12 has been released, although hasn't made it's way to the ubuntu universe yet, because I already attempted to remove and reinstall the program. I am going to give this a try, but any other information would be helpful. Also, what do you guys use for e-mail if not checkgmail?
    Gmail's recently enabled IMAP, maybe it's changed the way other apps interact with it

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That could be, because I just installed version 1.12 and it has the same problem. How recently was IMAP enabled? Because everything worked fine when I left for work at 1:30PM EDT, but did not work when I returned around 7:00PM.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2007
    That could be, because I just installed version 1.12 and it has the same problem. How recently was IMAP enabled? Because everything worked fine when I left for work at 1:30PM EDT, but did not work when I returned around 7:00PM.
    Over the past week or so, they didn't enable them for every account all at once in order to prevent the servers from being raped by IMAP requests.

You can enable and disable it in the Settings page on the Gmail site, with it enabled by default. Maybe if you disable it, it might start working again?

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't think that's it. When I went into my settings, it was already disabled.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, judging by the way mail servers work (at least when I've been configuring them), there's probably just a boolean tag on each account for 'IMAP enabled?'; the IMAP server is still running, and may still be affecting general account access.

So I wouldn't discount it.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I like it only because it's fast, and gnome is slow. Other than that, the KDE GUI can stuff it. It's like a more cluttered and confusing Windows.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Frem wrote: »
    Secondly, Thunar crashes whenever I try to select a file more than 600 mb or so. No idea what the heck is going on with that, and I'm pretty sure it used to work.

I've experienced the same thing. Also, the archive manager seems to like to crash when I try to unzip/untar really huge files (over the 1GB mark). I'm pretty sure that's desktop environment-independent since it's happened to me in both KDE and GNOME.
    Frem wrote: »
    Gkrellm has nothing to do with KDE, does it? I'm pretty sure it's desktop environment independent.

Now that I think about it, it is. I see it in Fluxbox screenshots all the time.

The only big thing I really dislike about KDE is how cluttered it usually is by default. The distro doesn't even matter - Solaris, PCLOS, SUSE...they've always got a shitload of icons on the bottom panel, taking up space that the taskbar should be occupying, for one thing. With a little tweaking I've gotten Tuxboxes with KDE looking REALLY nice, but the amount of time I end up spending to personalize a fresh Linux install to the point where it's appealing shouldn't be as much as it is.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I like it only because it's fast, and gnome is slow. Other than that, the KDE GUI can stuff it. It's like a more cluttered and confusing Windows.
    Heh, I just reconfigured KDE to look like GNOME, for the most part.

But it doesn't seem much faster, hm.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I made XP look like GNOME. :D

MKR on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Heh, I just reconfigured KDE to look like GNOME, for the most part.

But it doesn't seem much faster, hm.

I run Kubuntu on an older PC and the difference in speed is easily noticeable. Even when I run GNOME GTK+ applications start up slower than more feature rich KDE application. The GNOME image viewer (Eye of GNOME) takes as long/longer to load than Gwenview, which doesn't seem right when you consider that EoG doesn't do much more than let you view images.

GNOME's desktop is very annoying if you use thumbnails because your icons won't align properly. Konqueror is also faster than Nautilus when it comes to viewing directories with large amounts of files, especially if they are images.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I recently installed Xfce and I fucking LOVE it. Gnome was nice and all, but Xfce is so much faster and it looks very similar (I really like how they both look). The thing is, I haven't been able to get 3d acceleration working ever since I upgraded to gutsy (ATI lol) so no UT2k4 for me at the moment. Anyone have any ideas?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    I recently installed Xfce and I fucking LOVE it. Gnome was nice and all, but Xfce is so much faster and it looks very similar (I really like how they both look). The thing is, I haven't been able to get 3d acceleration working ever since I upgraded to gutsy (ATI lol) so no UT2k4 for me at the moment. Anyone have any ideas?
    I just enabled the driver under the restricted rivers section under System > Administration under GNOME, but I'm not sure where you'd go under Xfce.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    XFCE has a control center that's somewhat similar to the one KDE has. All that related stuff should be easily found in there.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

You've likely been upgraded to the new version of Gmail, which they said straight out, has a lot of back end changes, and likely will break most 3rd party apps.

Do you see an "older version" link at the top right of your gmail screen?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just thought I'd put one more of my plugs for E17 in here. Its is way speedier, and way prettier than GNOME of XFCE will ever hope to be (well... at least IMO).

Ubuntu install instructions:

http://wiki.enlightenment.org/index.php/E17_on_Ubuntu
    blacktheme.jpg

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »

You've likely been upgraded to the new version of Gmail, which they said straight out, has a lot of back end changes, and likely will break most 3rd party apps.

Do you see an "older version" link at the top right of your gmail screen?

I found a fix for the problem on the ubuntu forums.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3724712
    sudo apt-get install checkgmail
    wget http://checkgmail.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/checkgmail/checkgmail
    sudo mv checkgmail /usr/bin/
    sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/checkgmail

All is well

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd put one more of my plugs for E17 in here. Its is way speedier, and way prettier than GNOME of XFCE will ever hope to be (well... at least IMO).

http://wiki.enlightenment.org/index.php/E17_on_Ubuntu
    blacktheme.jpg

But E17 is a WM by default, not a DE. Although it can be used as one, it's not necessarily one specifically.

The thing is... my desktop is basically like that one right there right now (except mine is a weird shade of faded red) except I'm using straight gnome+compiz+"metacity theme".

Mblackwell on

• Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »

But E17 is a WM by default, not a DE. Although it can be used as one, it's not necessarily one specifically.

The thing is... my desktop is basically like that one right there right now (except mine is a weird shade of faded red) except I'm using straight gnome+compiz+"metacity theme".
    I don't get your point. Running E17 as a WM for GNOME is not the same thing as running the E17 desktop. The E17 desktop is snappy. It makes desktop and window switching easy. It makes finding and running applications easy. Its pretty. And again, its fast as hell. E17 was designed to be a desktop shell with a built in WM. It does that and does it well. Does it count for nothing because you can also run it as a WM for GNOME too?

Are you just clarifying because I didn't use a special name for the desktop? As far as I know, it doesn't have one. There's Enlightenment the WM, and Enlightenment the desktop shell. Even the E17 people don't attempt to make a big deal about the difference. I don't really think they have any desire to be considered a WM anymore.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just discovered that GNOME allows me to create custom file thumbnailers very easily. Now my music will have pretty album art thumbnails. Once I clean this up, I'll upload it for your pleasure:

coverthumbnailsaq2.jpg

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Now that is NICE...

Looking forward to details on that one :)

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »

I don't get your point. Running E17 as a WM for GNOME is not the same thing as running the E17 desktop. The E17 desktop is snappy. It makes desktop and window switching easy. It makes finding and running applications easy. Its pretty. And again, its fast as hell. E17 was designed to be a desktop shell with a built in WM. It does that and does it well. Does it count for nothing because you can also run it as a WM for GNOME too?

Are you just clarifying because I didn't use a special name for the desktop? As far as I know, it doesn't have one. There's Enlightenment the WM, and Enlightenment the desktop shell. Even the E17 people don't attempt to make a big deal about the difference. I don't really think they have any desire to be considered a WM anymore.

My big point was that it's possible to get that "prettiness" anywhere, and that if for some reason there's just something about the specific look you like you could just deploy it over the top of Gnome or Xfce (maybe you really like the theming or something). Also in my reading it doesn't seem like it locks into GTK+ so you would lose the unified appearance on a lot of applications. I'm not trying to say it's a piece of crap or anything, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering what the specific use-case scenario is comparatively.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    For those of you who want pretty music thumbnails, here's a pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha version. I don't think it'll break anything, but it's entirely possible it'll freeze your system or start playing all your music at once or who knows what. I've not really tested it, or debugged it. If you look at this post and your eyes glaze over, it's a good sign that you shouldn't risk installing this.

Download it here

I don't know how to package it up all nice and tidy, so you get to experience the joys of command line compilation.

First, extract the archive somewhere. Make sure there are no spaces in the path you extract it to, the GNOME thumbnail system doesn't seem to work with them. In the extracted files, open up schema.schemas in a text editor. When you see a line like:
    <default>/home/USER/media-thumbnailer/media-thumbnailer %s %i %o</default>

you'll need to change it to wherever you extracted the files to. If you extracted the files to /home/joe/what-the-fuck, change the lines to:
    <default>/home/joe/what-the-fuck/media-thumbnailer %s %i %o</default>

There are two lines, one for Ogg Vorbis, the other for MP3. Those are the only two supported file types currenrly.

Next, you'll install all the stuff the program needs to be built. These are the compiler, GDK dev libraries, and GStreamer dev libraries. In Ubuntu, you install these packages. Names may differ, but they'll be close enough for you to search for:
    • build-essential (if you don't have this, install "gcc", "make", and "libc6". I hope you have those)
    • libgstreamer0.10-dev
    • libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
    • libgtk2.0-dev

Open up a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal in Ubuntu, might be different for you). Navigate to wherever you extracted the files, using the "cd" command to change directories and "ls" to see what's in your current directory. The "tab" key can autocomplete a name for you if you like. Once you get there, you'll run two commands:
    make
    gconftool-2 --install-schema-file=schema.schemas

The first command builds the thumbnailer, the second tells GNOME that the program exists. Log out and back in (or be hardcore and "nautilis -q && nautilus &"), enjoy your thumbnails.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Would most of my driver installation problem stem from the fact that I've been using Vista drivers?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Would most of my driver installation problem stem from the fact that I've been using Vista drivers?

Probably, Linux's support for Vista drivers is quite shoddy.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not a fan of E17. When it's finally released, maybe, but I miss taskbar icons - proper ones, like the ones for NetworkManager, Pidgin and Firestarter. Tell me how to get that running properly and I might give it a shot again.

theSquid on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I need some three-finger salutes for Ubuntu. Seriously, I'll fire up some program or game or something, it'll fuck up because, hey, it's Linux and apparently fast graphics or a program trying to go full screen is still a problem, and then whoops! I'm stuck with a frozen pointer pointer or unclickable screen or something and no recourse except the reset button. A desktop OS ought to give me some kind of "kill last program and reset the WM" command so I can keep working on what I was working on.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I need some three-finger salutes for Ubuntu. Seriously, I'll fire up some program or game or something, it'll fuck up because, hey, it's Linux and apparently fast graphics or a program trying to go full screen is still a problem, and then whoops! I'm stuck with a frozen pointer pointer or unclickable screen or something and no recourse.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X.

Admittedly it does kill all running programs and dump you back at the login screen. I tend to use it when running games under WINE, since freezing and lockups are still something of an issue.

Also, if you're using beryl/compiz, running programs in fullscreen (especially those that use 3D) is still very much a problem.

japan on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there anyway to install Ubuntu 7.10 in Vesa mode? I just bought an 8800GT, and apparently, the linux driver still isn't out yet.

It would be even better if the installer automatically detects a non-supported video card.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Try booting the liveCD in safe graphics mode.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Out of interest, is there any way to quickly enable and disable Compiz for 3D apps? A keystroke? Anything?

Rohaq on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Janin wrote: »
    Try booting the liveCD in safe graphics mode.

Cool, I didn't even notice that option when I loaded 7.10 on a friends computer. I'll try that when I get home from work. Thanks.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Out of interest, is there any way to quickly enable and disable Compiz for 3D apps? A keystroke? Anything?

The Compiz Fusion Tray Icon lets you choose windows managers and theme managers easily. Don't use Compiz without it.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Torgo wrote: »

The Compiz Fusion Tray Icon lets you choose windows managers and theme managers easily. Don't use Compiz without it.
    Awesome, thanks!

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Personally I just press ALT+F2 and type metacity --replace and when I'm done playing press it again and type compiz --replace.

Obviously a tray icon works too, but if you screwed up and forgot to disable compiz (which makes things not play so nice with panels for instance) you can still usually get that to work (I've done that with Guild Wars before).

Mblackwell on

• Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I'm trying to install AWN, and pretty much every walkthrough I've found out there is mentioning that I have to generate a PGP key.

...why? I'm just curious, what's the explanation for this?

edit: Also, another pet peeve, is there any way to sudo-open a file from nautilus? I hate constantly having to do it from the terminal.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to install AWN, and pretty much every walkthrough I've found out there is mentioning that I have to generate a PGP key.

...why? I'm just curious, what's the explanation for this?
    Dunno: I managed to Google up a .deb package to handle everything for me for AWN.

Rohaq on