ndiswrapper=pain!!!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    ndiswrapper=pain!!!

That is why I bought a wireless adapter with Linux drivers. The company that designed the chipset actually provides them (licensed under the GPL) on their site, and there is another project to rewrite the drivers for inclusion with the mainline kernel.
    Recoil42 wrote:
    So I'm trying to install AWN, and pretty much every walkthrough I've found out there is mentioning that I have to generate a PGP key.

...why? I'm just curious, what's the explanation for this?

They aren't, they are telling you to add a key to apt. Packages that are downloaded from a repository are signed with the maintainers key, and you need the pubkey to authenticate it. If you don't, you'll get nagged every time you install/update something from that repository.

If you look through the output of apt-get/aptitude update you'll see lines that look something like this:
    Get:3 http://archive.canonical.com gutsy Release.gpg [191B]

If you look in the preferences for Add/Remove Applications (in Ubuntu + Gnome) and go to the authentication tab you'll see at least two entries for Ubuntu's signing keys (one for the CD image, one for the archive servers).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ndiswrapper=pain!!!

Why do you say that? I got a driver installed and running pretty quickly...

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    edit: Also, another pet peeve, is there any way to sudo-open a file from nautilus? I hate constantly having to do it from the terminal.

You can create a launcher that runs the command "gksudo nautilus" which will give you a nautilus window with root permissions. So if, for example, you opened a config file from that window, you can edit and save it.

japan on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    ndiswrapper=pain!!!

What kind of wireless card do you have? The Broadcom minicard I have in my laptop works fine in any version of Windows, but not so much for Linux. I have an express card that should work fine, but I don't know where it is.

Malkor on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ndiswrapper=pain!!!

What kind of wireless card do you have? The Broadcom minicard I have in my laptop works fine in any version of Windows, but not so much for Linux. I have an express card that should work fine, but I don't know where it is.

Ndiswrapper in itself is not pain. It's pretty straightforward, actually. For me, the pain and suffering has always come from trying to extract the drivers from some windows installer and/or locating firmware also required.

You'd be surprised how far you can get using cabextract, unshield, and unzip. A ridiculous number of mysterious files in installer packages are really just zips with a different extension.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ndiswrapper=pain!!!

I have an old D-Link that normally works with the ACX module but not in the latest Ubuntu. Which is fine because I discovered I get a much better signal strength using Ndiswrapper.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    The first thing I try when I get home will probably work, 'cause I've complained about it.

Malkor on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    So I just installed Ubuntu (Fiest Fawn). Updated it, then let it do an upgrade to Gutsy Gibbon.

Upon rebooting into Gibbon, it stopped mounting my 55GB NTFS partition. Gparted now takes forever to find the partitions (before it only took it about 30 seconds) and now says the NTFS partition is unreadable.

Did I just lose 55GB of data? Any ideas on what the hell upgrading to Gibbon did?

Note: I never wrote/saved a file onto that partition from Ubuntu, it's been read-only so far.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Try booting Windows, or mount the drive in a VM, mark it dirty, and reboot the VM so it scans it (or do the same with Windows, but if you don't want to reboot into Windows there you go).

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    I can't get VMware to cooperate (it never starts up, I probably don't have enough RAM)

However I did download TestDisk:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

After analyzing the disk, it does seem to find it:

(spoiler'd for longpost)
    Disk /dev/sda - 60 GB / 55 GiB - CHS 7297 255 63
         Partition               Start        End    Size in sectors
    D HPFS - NTFS              0   1  1  6373 254 63  102398247 [Aux Storage]
    D Linux                 6373 166  1  6902 254 63    8503992
    D Linux Swap            6902 199  1  6966 254 63    1031688

(it's obviously picking up the label correctly)

I can then hit "P" on the NTFS partition to list files:

example:
    dr-xr-xr-x     0     0         0 18-Oct-2006 01:54 JadeCD
    dr-xr-xr-x     0     0         0 29-Apr-2007 02:47 JADEEDIT
    dr-xr-xr-x     0     0         0 30-Jul-2007 16:37 JadeNew
    dr-xr-xr-x     0     0         0 14-Oct-2007 04:49 Joomla
    -r--r--r--     0     0    710080  6-Jul-2007 16:45 localhost.sql.gz
    dr-xr-xr-x     0     0         0  6-Feb-2007 17:15 LOEF
    dr-xr-xr-x     0     0         0  7-Feb-2007 23:31 LUMPPORT
    dr-xr-xr-x     0     0         0 26-Feb-2007 02:52 Mandriva
    dr-xr-xr-x     0     0         0 22-Nov-2006 18:07 MGLAND

I can use the utilities option to copy files. I tried it on a directory and everthing came out okay.

going to utilties and the Repair Boot sector option gives me this screen:
    Disk /dev/sda - 60 GB / 55 GiB - CHS 7297 255 63
         Partition                  Start        End    Size in sectors
     1 * HPFS - NTFS              0   1  1  6373 164 63  102392577 [Aux Storage]

Boot sector
    Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 240 (NTFS) != 255 (HD)

Backup boot sector
    Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 240 (NTFS) != 255 (HD)

Sectors are identical.

A valid NTFS Boot sector must be present in order to access
    any data; even if the partition is not bootable.

So clearly the files exist. Think I should have it repair the boot sector?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Upon further research, I may have upgraded myself past ntfs-3g compatibility, and will have to wait for them to fix bugs in Gutsy..

I guess I could wipe the installation and install Fiesty again so I can see if I get some NTFS-mounting-action back.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I installed Gutsy directly, and it has no problem reading and writing to my NTFS partition. Did you make any modifications to your partitions recently?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm using a KVM switch to easly switch back and forth from my personal computer to a server, which I want to setup ArchLinux on. The thing is I don't have a mouse for it and because it's going to be a server I wont have any desktop manager on it, but I still need to browse the web. Are there any text based web browsers I can download from ArchLinuxes repository?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    I'm using a KVM switch to easly switch back and forth from my personal computer to a server, which I want to setup ArchLinux on. The thing is I don't have a mouse for it and because it's going to be a server I wont have any desktop manager on it, but I still need to browse the web. Are there any text based web browsers I can download from ArchLinuxes repository?

The ArchLinux web site says that they have links available, so you might want to try that.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »

The ArchLinux web site says that they have links available, so you might want to try that.

Links is my personal preference. Also check out w3m. I think it might actually be installed by default in ArchLinux.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Argh! I'm trying to install ArchLinux via FTP, but the network thingy isn't working! I'm following these instructions but nothing is working.

Edit: What's the command to reset everything without actually logging out or whatnot. It's saying it can't find a useable interface when I try to run dhcpcd, but I've given is several. I tried /etc/rc.d/network restart and it gave me the same error.

Edit 2: Crud! The computer shows up in the DHCP client table in my router, so it's connected, but the network isn't working at all! I can't ping other computers or access the internet or anything, and it gives me the same error when I run dhcpcd.

Edit 3: Okay, I deleted it off of the DHCP list and had the ArchLinux setup thingy 'poll' for DHCP servers and after that I was able to ping all the computers on the network, but it still can't connect to any mirrors to download all the install files.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Edit 2: Crud! The computer shows up in the DHCP client table in my router, so it's connected, but the network isn't working at all! I can't ping other computers or access the internet or anything, and it gives me the same error when I run dhcpcd.

ifconfig output would be helpful. So would the contents of /etc/resolv.conf and the output of route. That should cover all of the bases.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Edit:
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    192.168.1.1 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Gateway should be 192.168.1.1, I don't know about the destination or genmask, but the interface is correct.

Edit: /etc/resolv.conf:
    nameserver 68.94.156.1
    nameserver 68.94.157.1

ifconfig will be a bit harder to get because I can't cut and paste. And it looks like the computer stopped transmitting it's hostname properly, it's showing up as giberish in the DHCP client table now.

rayofash on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Edit: Writing up route, just a second.

Edit: /etc/resolv.conf:
    nameserver 68.94.156.1
    nameserver 68.94.157.1

ifconfig will be a bit harder to get because I can't cut and paste. And it looks like the computer stopped transmitting it's hostname properly, it's showing up as giberish in the DHCP client table now.

ifconfig > filename.txt

MKR on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well there's that, but I still don't know how to post it, I can't copy it over the network or anything.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well there's that, but I still don't know how to post it, I can't copy it over the network or anything.

Do you not have physical access to the machine?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MKR wrote: »

Do you not have physical access to the machine?

Limited physical access. I have a keyboard and monitor hooked up via KVM switch. There's no way for me to move that file even if I had a mouse hooked up to it (no floppy drive).

Here's everything that looks important from ifconfig:
    eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00: 10: DC: 68: AE: C9
    inet addr: 192.168.1.104 Bcast: 192.168.1.255 MASK: 255.255.255.0

lo Link encap: Local loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 MASK: 255.0.0.0

My rc.conf looks like this:
    lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
    eth0="dhcp"
    INTERFACES=(eth0 lo)
    GATEWAY=(default gw 192.168.1.1)
    ROUTES=(!gateway)
    HOSTNAME="skynet"

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My poor intertubes :(

Edit: I'm beginning to think it's a problem with the ArchLinux CD and it's mirror list, the computer shows up in DHCP just fine now and I can ping other computers. Pacman seems to be working too. I'm going to burn a new one.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Posting from links. It's definitely a problem with the CD.

Edit: There we go, got the newest version and it's actually working now. HURRAY!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Okay, now a new problem has come up when trying to install. I install it and when I go to boot up to it it gives me this error when trying to boot up:

Attempting to create root device '/dev/sda3'
    ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/sda3'
    unkown
    ERROR: root fs cannot be detected. Try using the rootfstype= kernel parameter.
    Waiting for devices to settle... done.

Root device '/dev/sda3' doesn't exist, attempting to create it
    ERROR: Failed to parse block device name for '/dev/sda3'
    ERROR: Unable to create/detect root device '/dev/sda3'
    Dropping to a recovery shell... type 'exit' to reboot.

Edit: Got it, added ext3 to mkinitcpio.conf and the boot loader.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Frem wrote: »
    ndiswrapper=pain!!!

Ndiswrapper in itself is not pain. It's pretty straightforward, actually. For me, the pain and suffering has always come from trying to extract the drivers from some windows installer and/or locating firmware also required.

You'd be surprised how far you can get using cabextract, unshield, and unzip. A ridiculous number of mysterious files in installer packages are really just zips with a different extension.

Turns out I've been trying to install 32-bit drivers instead of 64-bit ones. I extracted the right files from Dell and things are going great now. For some reason the 32 and 64 drivers are named the same though... Next, sound and video!

Malkor on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anybody know of a program that can play and seek through FLV files in Linux? I've tried VLC, mplayer, and Kafeen, but none of them can seek through the video. The best I can get is a very slow fast-forward on Kafeen.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Nibble wrote: »
    Anybody know of a program that can play and seek through FLV files in Linux? I've tried VLC, mplayer, and Kafeen, but none of them can seek through the video. The best I can get is a very slow fast-forward on Kafeen.

I'm using MPlayer 1.0rc2 (which was recently released) and am able to seek through the FLV files I have on my PC. I didn't even think to try it with this version until you mentioned it.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nibble wrote: »

You could use Avidemux to convert them to an .avi or something if you need to seek through a file too. Not exactly ideal.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The more I've been using Ubuntu, the more I like it. I'd probably drop Vista entirely if I wasn't a complete game whore, and WINE seems to be updated regularly enough.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes, some games work with Wine really well, basically any Doom 3 engine game, a few older titles, and WoW and its ilk. Some just function, for instance I believe Far Cry and Crysis, as well as some titles like Supreme Commander (which works but without sound). And some titles just refuse to play, like Vampire: Bloodlines which really pisses me off. Every once in awhile you'll get a user reporting it working randomly somewhere but I've never seen anything explaining how they got it going vs everyone else in the world.

Over time though more titles should play with Wine, but for now I would say you may as well keep your Windows installation for those games that just won't work.

Don't get caught in "the trap" though (which I've done) where you boot into Windows for a game and then just stay there for awhile. It makes it harder to switch back. You have to keep the mentality that the Windows boot is a temporary session.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Don't get caught in "the trap" though (which I've done) where you boot into Windows for a game and then just stay there for awhile. It makes it harder to switch back. You have to keep the mentality that the Windows boot is a temporary session.
    I've done that a few times. Then after I've rebooted, I'll be like, "Why the heck did I subject myself to that pain?"

Frem on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So Wine question:
    Has anyone managed to get Visual Studio 2005 and Microsoft Project working with it? They're about the only programs I need for my uni work that force me to keep switching back to Windows :(

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Rohaq wrote: »
    So Wine question:
    Has anyone managed to get Visual Studio 2005 and Microsoft Project working with it? They're about the only programs I need for my uni work that force me to keep switching back to Windows :(

VS and .NET are very heavily entrenched in Windows, so WINE (which only supports a relatively tiny portion of Windows' API) probably won't work with either for a long time.

You might be able to run the .NET applications in Mono, but VS probably won't work at all. Also, you might want to try SharpDevelop.

MKR on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does anyone know how well things like Steam/Source products work with WINE/Cedega (especially TF2)? Now that Ubuntu is more or less 100% compatible with my machine I'd like to give it another go.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Does anyone know how well things like Steam/Source products work with WINE/Cedega (especially TF2)? Now that Ubuntu is more or less 100% compatible with my machine I'd like to give it another go.
    Steam can install and run with WINE, but I've had some real problems with Half-Life (the original!) stuttering, but I think that might be down to my video settings.

Unfortunately I've managed to break Half-Life under WINE, so I'm unable to test this now :P

Rohaq on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A couple weeks ago, I started taking some distros for a test drive, to see if I like any enough to make Linux my single-boot OS (or kernel, I guess) on my laptop. I'm hitting the point of comfort where I feel like I can settle down and make a long-term choice, and I'd like to ask a few questions before I do that.

So far, I've taken a look primarily at Mandriva-based distros, as I'd been told that they were among the fastest booters, and they looked to be designed with Linux neophytes in mind. I don't game much at all these days, and what I do play (retro games, mainly) can be run in Linux easily enough through compatibility layers and interpreters; this has made me question just how attached I am to maintaining Windows as a primary OS on any of the machines in my home network...now the question has become, are there distros out there I'd be happy with as a single-boot OS for every machine I own?

In more or less descending order, I use my machines for:
    • Internet access (including work)
    • Media repository and stereo/theatre
    • Access to and managment of devices (such as iPods, PDAs, and cellphones)
    • Retro gaming
    • Office work

Right now, my main "selling points" are boot speed, ease not necessarily of use but of maintenance, efficient use of the hardware included in both my systems and the devices I manage through them (i.e. I do not want a sluggish experience), and stability. The first and last being the most important. The monitor for my primary PC, a 42" 1080p HDTV, is--predictably--also my primary television, and I am quite fond of the display/resolution as I have it under Vista. I do no work on any home machine that can't be accomplished in OpenOffice (which we also use at the office) or similar programs/suites, on any old Linux distro. Aesthetically speaking, I prefer KDE to Xfce and GNOME. My favorite distros so far have been PCLinuxOS (Mandriva) and Zenwalk (Slackware).

I know that this is kind of a disorganized mish-mash of information, but I am looking for recommendations, primarily as to distros I should check out as a possible replacement for all my Windows OSes on my home network. And yes, I know that if you put n Linux users in a room, among them there will be n-1 favorite distros...but that's almost part of the charm.

I'd be happy to provide any further hardware or usage info that would help in terms of recommendation.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kubuntu

Boot speed is a bit of a weak criteria. Any desktop distro will only have, at most, a slight edge over another distro in the same class in boot speed. Usability, package manager (deb, rpm, etc), and the community that surround it are good criteria to go by.

Kubuntu (based on Ubuntu) uses dpkg (the best package management system. Ignore the RPM propagandists), has a massive community, and supports just about everything.

MKR on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My laptop boots into KDE under PCLinuxOS at a hair over 28 seconds.

As compared to just shy of 37 seconds under Kubuntu.

naporeon on