As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPod Problem...

OnslaughtOnslaught Registered User new member
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
A little while ago, my iPod (which is past warranty) start losing sound from the right ear, unless I toggle the jack around. But now, it doesn't really work at all anymore and now sound only goes to the left ear. However, with computers and such, the headphones work fine and weren't really the problem.

What I really think is the problem is the iPod jack itself is damaged or something, as I tried other headphones with it to get the same results. Also, recently, the headphones I've normally been using are starting to lose sound in the right ear with anything else but the iPod.

Help? D:

Onslaught on

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm having a hard time understanding your problem exactly. This is what I've got, tell me how close I am:

-You're losing sound in the right ear of your normal head phones.

-These same head phones work with other devices without lost sound in the right ear.

-Other headphones used in your ipod also have a loss of sound in the right ear.

So, in every case with each variation of headphones there is a loss of sound in the right ear?

Uncle Long on
  • OnslaughtOnslaught Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    -You're losing sound in the right ear of your normal head phones. Only when I plug them into my iPod.

-These same head phones work with other devices without lost sound in the right ear. Yes, except when I plug them into other devices, they lose sound in the left ear as opposed to losing sound in the right ear when I plug them into an iPod.

-Other headphones used in your ipod also have a loss of sound in the right ear. Yes.

So, in every case with each variation of headphones there is a loss of sound in the right ear? Only when they plug into my iPod...

Onslaught on
  • EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Which generation ipod?

If it's off warrenty you can either pay some one like Ipod Resq who apparently do very good and fast work.

Or you can google your generation of ipod and try to repair it yourself. It's most likely a broken solder on your headphone jack. Not much you can do without cracking it open, even then you'll most likely need a working knowledge of electronic repair.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • OnslaughtOnslaught Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Gen 5.

Onslaught on
    edited September 2007
    Those are a bitch to open. The seam is super tiny, It's possible, but I have no idea how one would do it without specialized tools.

So unless anyone else has a magic solution, it's down to pay the above linked site, pay apple for the repair, or buy a new ipod.

Sorry, I know it sucks.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's a strange fact that this just happened to me yesterday and I happened to see your topic this morning. Here's what I discovered. It voids your warranty, blah blah.

Here's a youtube video of opening a 5th gen ipod. I'm gonna fiddle with it today or tomorrow and report back my results.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well here's my results!
    1314978617_84a67399f0.jpg
    Open the case as per video careful not to scratch the finish, a lot easier to do this with a 5th gen then previous versions. I snapped a pen lid off and wedged it under the headphone jack input. That did it.
    When I opened the iPod some bits snapped off. I don't think I need these, do I?
    1315866922_378f9f8790.jpg
    Then I just close it and it should snap togeth.. oh fuck.
    1314986065_7898972a64.jpg

And that's why we send in our iPod to professionals.

Mind you it works now, I just have tape holding it together. I'm not really bothered as long as it plays :P But if you're planning on watching movies on it.. uh.. maybe hold off or use another type of wedge.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
    edited September 2007
    Man that really sucks ass.

If you feel like it, the above site, will repair/replace your screen too.

I did a battery replacement on a 2nd gen ipod a while back. They're much easier to open and the screen it much tougher. I won't touch the new ones because they're much trickier.

Everywhereasign on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Props for trying hamburger, my Nano has the same issue and just gave up and use it as a one-ear podcast thing.

So annoying.

Lewisham on