As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Easy (but effective) home exercises

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently found my weight has increased to 260. This isn't super terrible as I'm 6' 7" BUT it finally pushed me to actually get my somewhat pudgy ass in shape. Problem is I have no access to a gym or even weights so I need stuff I can do at home in order to help tone myself up. I have a decent amount of space, if that helps. Keep in mind the more descriptive the suggestions the better. If you think sit-ups will help, how many? So on and so forth.

Also, I've been looking into doing the 'several small meals throughout the day' thing. At 6' 7" with 'moderate' exercise, what kind of calorie intake should I look for? What kind of foods are filling without being fattening and/or terrible tasting? What IS good snack food?

If I've forgotten anything, please feel free to add.

Magus` on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    Buy a bench and dumbbells if you have plenty of space. Half arseing things won't get you anywhere.

Tube on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=33257

The specific number of crunches/push-ups you should do varies a TON person-to-person.

I like to do the following in the mornings: Get out of bed, stretch. Max out on push-ups, which is not that many because I just got up. Roll over, max out on crunches, same deal. Get something to eat. Max out on both again. Shower, max out on both again.

It's a pretty good way to start your day.

If you had to spend some cash on workout stuff, how much could you afford?

Doc on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, I've got no money at the moment, but I do have student loans coming in. What kind of cost am I looking at?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I guess four hundred dollars? roughly.

That'd get you a bench, a bar, a shitload of weights and you'll never need to replace any of them probably for the rest of your life.

Tube on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Where are you located? I got a mid-grade weight set for free on Craigslist. It's pretty basic, but it suits my needs perfectly.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I live in Missouri.

Magus` on
  • Options
    sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    $300 at sears will get you a 45lb olympic size barbell with 210lbs of iron weights, and a bench that does incline/decline, has a squat rack, leg machine, and has a preacher pad for curls.

Should be enough to let you do quite a bit.

Links:

Barbell

Bench

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    On top of weight training, which I wholeheartedly believe in, getting a dog and walking it a couple of miles a day is a great way to lose weight.

supabeast on
  • Options
    LakerippleLakeripple Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All the advice so far is pretty good, look into buying a chin-up/pull up bar as well. They're both very effective bodyweight exercises. you can pick one up for $20-$30 at sports mart or sport check.

Lakeripple on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    at your weight, you probably won't be able to do pullups.

Tube on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    at your weight, you probably won't be able to do pullups.

I'm 100lbs lighter and I can't do pull-ups either.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey you know what for 400 bucks you can invest in the Bowflex select tech dumbells. Goes from 5 to 52 pounds. Early on the weight increments go by 2.5, then after 25 it starts going by 5. And I think if you use the promo code SD3BENCH they give you a free bench with your order but I think the offer may expire soon.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You might also consider buying a jump rope. They are fairly cheap (around $5-$10) and provide a great cardio workout. You can do boxing sets where you jump rope for 3 minutes and then rest for 30 seconds. Repeat as many times as possible. Shadow boxing is also a great full body workout. If possible, join a boxing gym for a month to learn the basic punches and the fundamental footwork and you can use what you learned for a lifetime of cheap effective training on your own.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    400 bucks is a hell of a lot for a set of dumbbells

Tube on
  • Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    These dumbbells are awesome.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Well, I've got no money at the moment, but I do have student loans coming in. What kind of cost am I looking at?

So if you're a student why don't you use your campus gym? You'll have to pay like $50-100 for a quarter but they'll have far more stuff than you'll be able to afford. Plus if its far away you can bike there

tracertong on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I can't bike. Messed up ankle. I can walk, but the gym on campus requires you be a member of a sports team. Yeah, blows.

Magus` on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Definitely look up some of Ross Emanait's books.

His workouts are nothing but bodyweigth exercises, and it has some really great routines. He also incorporates the use of the sandbag for lifting and a weigthed backpack.

The workouts are targeted for figthers, but he definitely knows his shit.

http://www.rosstraining.com/products.html

Munacra on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Using a weight backpack is terrible advice for someone with a joint problem or for anyone who is overweight and trying to lose. His joints are already overstressed and low impact cardio is the only real option for that half of it. So he should be riding a bike every day or getting a membership at a pool. Jogging is a bad plan unless you're close to your target weight and jogging with a weighted backpack is scary stupid.

Unless the use of the weighted backpack is to add resistance to push-ups and pull-ups, it's not going to be a good plan. And I doubt he needs any extra resistance there right now.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DrDizaster wrote:
    Unless the use of the weighted backpack is to add resistance to push-ups and pull-ups

Yeah, it's for push-ups and pull-ups. I didn't mention that. Weigthed anything while you're running is just a bad idea.

edit: well push-ups, pull-ups, dips and chin-ups.

Munacra on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    go run. it doesn't cost you a dime and you don't need a gym.

you can also get dumbbells and adjustable incline/flat bench for less than $100 at wal-mart.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    go run. it doesn't cost you a dime and you don't need a gym.

Haven't we already well defined that his joints are jacked up? Running is pretty much the worst idea you could have. The elliptical machine sounds like a good idea. Low-impact on the ankles.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would highly recommend cycling for cardio. It's fun, because you get out and actually feel like your going somewhere. Plus it's easy on your joints.

Swimming is also great, although it can get a little pricey depending on membership costs.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    Using a weight backpack is terrible advice for someone with a joint problem or for anyone who is overweight and trying to lose. His joints are already overstressed and low impact cardio is the only real option for that half of it. So he should be riding a bike every day or getting a membership at a pool. Jogging is a bad plan unless you're close to your target weight and jogging with a weighted backpack is scary stupid.

I say this every time someone suggests running with weight here. Take it from someone whose job is to run quite fast, very far, carrying 15-25kg: even we do it at as little as possible. Every time you run with weight, it's messing you up a bit more. If you don't have to do it, don't do it; there are plenty of other ways to gain fitness which don't fuck you up.
    Unless the use of the weighted backpack is to add resistance to push-ups and pull-ups, it's not going to be a good plan. And I doubt he needs any extra resistance there right now.

To be honest, even that's not a good idea, it tends to twist / flatten the spine and promote bad form in the exercise, making it less effective.

OP, bodyweight circuits are another way to do both weight & cardio at the same time. This site here has lots of exercises, descriptions & pictures of how to do them. Make a circuit of, for example, X number of each exercise, and do sets of each exercise one after another without a break. Alternatively, mark two points 20 meters apart in a park, do X number of exercise 1 at the first point, run to the second point and do X number of exercise 2, run to the first point, rinse and repeat.

Fawkes on
This discussion has been closed.