As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On]WurmOnline: More like WorkOnline, am I right?

• Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think we have a slight carpenter deficiency at the moment, but you are welcome to practice anything that you find fun. We'd rather have players enjoy what they do than feel like they have to do any one particular role.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This...this looks really cool.

I need to make a mental note to check this out.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Patching takes a while : (

Junpei on
  • Options
    gonktaculargonktacular Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    OK, so repetitive banging on logs was a bit boring, so I distracted myself for a couple of days with this:

arcadiamapsmall.jpg

There is a larger version here: http://bayimg.com/kAHOIAAbb

And a GIANT version here: http://bayimg.com/kahOkaABb

I intend to map more of the surrounding areas soon, at least around the lake, and then maybe less detailed surveys of roads and surrounding cities.

gonktacular on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I haven't been able to connect for a couple of days : (

Probably my router being finicky and telling me to stop trying new stuff

Edit: Only for me to try this again 5 minutes later and get on ...

Junpei on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm going to give this a go tonight, it seems vaguely reminiscent of A Tale in the Desert-- which I played obsessively-- and with some other pretty neat features. I'd like to jump in right now, but I'm on what is functionally dial-up and yeah. : (

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I randomly logged in for the first time in months and found myself face to face with the same wall I was picking at so long ago.

Then I tried to make my way back to Arcadia, but the tunnel was caved in at some point, and I'm too hungry to dig my way out!

This game was good.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Arcadia is in ruins with no survivors really, but I can assemble a small team to come dig you out if you really want. Teslas and I are still running shop over at our place, so it would be quite a walk, but we can bring you food.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Arcadia is in ruins with no survivors really, but I can assemble a small team to come dig you out if you really want. Teslas and I are still running shop over at our place, so it would be quite a walk, but we can bring you food.

The last survivors of a forgotten realm...

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

The last survivors of a forgotten realm...

Hahaha, no I'm good, I just wanted to see if Arcadia was still around. Since it's not, I will remain in my cave until the end of times.

Akinos on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I started this up again this past weekend. Who all from Arcadia still plays? I'm about to give up finding a good spot to settle by myself that isn't already occupied.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Teslas, Drakhri, and I are still cracking away at the newly christianed Mount Awesome.

We have a weird series of sloping tunnels in the mountain that leads to a secluded plateau in the side of the mountain, surrounded by huge sand dunes on three sides. We would be more than happy to shelter you and feed you.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Isn't that croc mountain?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That is a pretty awesome map. Though I recommend you link to it, zane, because it is 20MB.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Would it be cool with you guys if I come join the party at Mount Awesome? I just took a look through Arcadia, and it's pretty desolate. Except that it looks as though someone has been building and using stuff recently. The area west of the farm has been almost entirely clearcut of all trees.

EDIT: Good lord. Some crocodile and a dog were chasing me. I'm on that big huge road between Arcadia and Mount Awesome. Then I get killed in two hits.

Who's idea was it to add animals like that?!

Joeslop on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just saw this, this is the greatest idea for a game ever, I'm getting it.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Arcadia was so great in the Golden Days! I loved my Mailed Fish. Also, that map is goddamn awesome.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    giantfuckingscorpionmj6.th.jpg

That is what awaits in Arcadia.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I'm wondering...in the long run would it be faster to make a road north of the mountains to hook up with the one that goes to Arcadia, for Clay and other supplies, or is the ocean run still a better idea? Carts probably hold more than rafts, and you can move faster.

If nothing else, hand carrying a bunch would be faster too.

EDIT: On another note, I found a spot with gold ore. It's not copper, but its better than more iron.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If you get lost a little more in our tunnels you'll find some gold.

Rafts hold a surprising amount of clay. You can carry back enough clay on a raft to make an entire tower (we make all of our towers in one run). Currently the clay rafting is still the best option and looks to be for a while. The only other option is to make a small road east to the lower clay section once we get the highway done.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I learned something new today. Improving items makes my skill shoot up a hell of a lot faster than actually making the items in the first place. We need to get some pelts, stat.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yes, improving items is hands down the best way to gain skill points. We all have our old pelts left over, so we'll need to hunt rats and cats to get you one. I'll put it on notice.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Too late, I already killed a rat and got one. Go me.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anyone lurking in this thread (thorgot and Trevor) remember who made Bob's original green lantern? I kept it as a keepsake and the name on it is "Land_". All I can think of would be "Lando". Does that ring any bells?

I also have a shovel made by Arkis. =)

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aha, I can't remember, but Lando is a good guess. God, Bob and his green lantern, good times.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anyone lurking in this thread (thorgot and Trevor) remember who made Bob's original green lantern? I kept it as a keepsake and the name on it is "Land_". All I can think of would be "Lando". Does that ring any bells?

I also have a shovel made by Arkis. =)

We didn't have any Land_, so he must have bought it in Newtown.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just played this a little bit tonight for the first time, and there was a Lando hanging around outside of Newtown.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, so the next time I get a chance to log into this, would it be worth my while to try to find my way to Mount Awesome?

Or would that be a journey of comic misdirection, ending in certain death at the complete opposite end of the map?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You could easily swim all the way here from Newtown without any problems. Just watch out for the bearsharks. The place actually began as Port Arcadia, which was supposed to be an easy landmark to help people swimming in from Newtown via the water route.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Okay, so the next time I get a chance to log into this, would it be worth my while to try to find my way to Mount Awesome?

Or would that be a journey of comic misdirection, ending in certain death at the complete opposite end of the map?

I have a very roughly made map to get to Mt. Awesome.

Before you leave, MAKE SURE YOU EAT AND DRINK FROM THE BLUE BISTRO. It's a blue building right by the spawn area, you get free food and water for your first 24 hours. You'll be able to drink along the way but there won't be any food till Mount Awesome unless you bring some along.

Directions: Follow the green line. The small red lines are public roads, use those because they will generally be free of animals that will RIP AND TEAR you. If there ARE animals there, try to go around if possible, or lure them to a village's nearby guards if there are any. Dying sucks.

Once you reach New Haven, you'll have to swim, or run along the coast. Make sure you either climb down or find a safe route, New Haven has a decent drop into the water if I remember right. The greenish hill that's just NW of Elysium is pretty easy to see once you get close, just align yourself with that to get across that little inlet. I managed to get inside there and added an extra 30 minutes to my trip. After that spot you can follow the coast if you're more comfortable, otherwise just look for the gigantic sand hill. Keep following the coast until you see a guard tower and some stone walls. The gates will be locked so hopefully one of us citizens will be on to let you in. If we aren't, it's possible to infiltrate the place by climbing if you aren't damaged.

routetomtawesomewu4.th.jpg

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the info, that's quite helpful. About how much time do I need to set aside for the trip?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Swimming is safe but the downside is that it can be painfully slow. I'd estimate maybe an hour and half. You can always log off in the middle of the trip and finish it in two goes as long as you remember where you are.

Here's a little mini guide I made up:
    2egfix2.jpg

You should easily be able to walk to silent hill. The roads are fairly safe and protected. From there you can swim out and around. The biggest mistake is getting to Mossy Hill (you can't miss it, it will be the huge hill made entirely of moss) and entering that bay. You'll be swimming around for 30 minutes and end up back where you started. Instead head across it for the desert and swing around. We have an entrance ramp at the "X".

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Swimming is safe but the downside is that it can be painfully slow. I'd estimate maybe an hour and half. You can always log off in the middle of the trip and finish it in two goes as long as you remember where you are.

Here's a little mini guide I made up:
    [img]htp://i26.tinypic.com/2egfix2.jpg[/img]

You should easily be able to walk to silent hill. The roads are fairly safe and protected. From there you can swim out and around. The biggest mistake is getting to Mossy Hill (you can't miss it, it will be the huge hill made entirely of moss) and entering that bay. You'll be swimming around for 30 minutes and end up back where you started. Instead head across it for the desert and swing around. We have an entrance ramp at the "X".

Way to be late on the response. Also my map is way cooler.

EDIT: HI5 on the "don't waste 30 minutes in that inlet" part though.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man, I must be tired tonight. I completely didn't see your post, but I'm glad we both said the same thing. I spent so much stupid time in that inlet. At one point I had a sign up on Moss Hill that said "Waste of Time" and pointed to the bay.

As far as newbie friendliness goes, our town is about as cool as it gets. You have about 0 chance of getting Shanghai'd in the desert as you can see for miles. We have just about every resource but clay, which is a swim away. The only problem is that we're crazy mountain hermits secluded in a desert with no roads. It helps cut down on the random visitors, which in Wurm are usually thieves and vandals.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man, I must be tired tonight. I completely didn't see your post, but I'm glad we both said the same thing. I spent so much stupid time in that inlet. At one point I had a sign up on Moss Hill that said "Waste of Time" and pointed to the bay.

As far as newbie friendliness goes, our town is about as cool as it gets. You have about 0 chance of getting Shanghai'd in the desert as you can see for miles. We have just about every resource but clay, which is a swim away. The only problem is that we're crazy mountain hermits secluded in a desert with no roads. It helps cut down on the random visitors, which in Wurm are usually thieves and vandals.

Are you kidding me? I've been dreaming about being a crazy mountain hermit my whole life!

No wonder it's named Mount Awesome.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, this thread came alive.

I didn't realize Mount Awesome was you guys. I had actually "settled" (haven't dropped my HS but was prepping the area) nearby, on the eastern of the two lakes south of Arcadia. There are a few guys from the Facepunch forums building a town there, too, which kind of took the wind out of my sails. I'll see if I can make my way out to you guys.

Oh, and that giant scorpion south of Arcadia is penned. It scared me at first until I realized that.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The area just south of us called "Elysium" right and that entire area in between it and Silent Hill has become a clusterfuck of drama and bullshit. I suggest staying the hell away from there if at all possible.

Basically look at this picture:
    assholesui3.jpg

It has something to do with the Elysium guys building a massive fence protected by wild animals to keep people out of the area while they develop. The facepunch guys are involved somehow, vandalism was mentioned, Overkill was griefed maybe, someone got tempbanned, etc. All I know is Facepunch are some bad dudes and you don't want to mix shit with them.

And if you see Adonaiisia near Penny Arcade, that's his scorpion. He's actually a guy we got to start playing and he's a member of our homestead, but he lives sort of all around. He's a real nice chap and if you see him make sure to say hello.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, shit. I was doing pretty good till I got to the big sand area sw of MA. I was suddenly being chased by 2 spiders, a scorpion, and a troll. I didn't make it far. So that's pretty much all of my stuff gone.

I don't know if I'll get the nerve to try again.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Are you in the small desert? Because I'll go fetch all of your stuff no problem.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, that small one separate from the one you guys are in. If you could go grab it, I'd appreciate it. Then I'll just swim to you guys.

Sir Carcass on