As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac Messed Up

hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Well I was in the Windows bootcamp partition and must have done something during an installation of a game, because when I switched back to OS X, everything was reset (desktop, etc) and my documents and music have all vanished.

Upon further inspection it seems as though there is a folder with user name on it that has all my documents, so I just copied those into my Home directory. Great now all my internet settings, adium settings, etc. are all fixed.

Problem is, my mp3s and movies are no where to be seen. I can't even search for them. Anyone experience this?

To add salt to this, I was the guy who cracked his ipod LCD screen 2 hours earlier. I feel like a complete retard. Mercy please.

statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
hamburger helper on

• Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well I was in the Windows bootcamp partition and must have done something during an installation of a game, because when I switched back to OS X, everything was reset (desktop, etc) and my documents and music have all vanished.

Upon further inspection it seems as though there is a folder with user name on it that has all my documents, so I just copied those into my Home directory. Great now all my internet settings, adium settings, etc. are all fixed.

I hope you copied and didn't move that stuff. Your Mac seems to have booted into a different user account. You should log out and then log in again.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It automatically logs me in as admin, I think Im in as the right user.

Is there a way to bring up a login screen?

Edit: got it. I logged in as me and it's still the same :/

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Check your harddrive space real quick, if you magically have 40 more gb or w/e of space, the files probably got deleted. If it's the same as ever, they're just hiding somewhere.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Open the terminal and type
    "whoami"

and verify you are who you think.

If you are, type

"sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb"

This takes a while.

Then type

"sudo locate .mp3"

and it will print out where .mp3 files are on your hard drive, regardless of who owns them. You should be able to find where it's gone.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, looks like they're all gone.

Bloody hell

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Bloody hell

Run Disk Utility. It sounds like something very bad is going on.

I'm going to ask you again whether you did anything silly like delete the old home directory or anything.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Were they for sure (fer shure) MP3s, and not AACs or something else?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »

Bloody hell

Run Disk Utility. It sounds like something very bad is going on.

I'm going to ask you again whether you did anything silly like delete the old home directory or anything.

Nothing silly, I was in bootcamped Windows before this happened. I ran Disk Utility and it says for me to repair the volume:
    Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    %)
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Incorrect number of Extended Attributes
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    Volume Header needs minor repair
    Volume Header needs minor repair
    %)
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

But the repair button is greyed out :/ yeesh

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You need to get out your Mac OS X CD and boot from that (hold down C when your Mac is turning on, I think it's C... check it on Google) and then run the Disk Utility from the menu bar (ignore the window asking you to install Mac OS X). You can't repair a disk without unmounting it, which you can't do if you're booted on it.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You can only repair the disk that the OS is on after booting from a CD. Trying to repair the disk while the Mac is running is sort of doomed to failure.

And before someone else calls me an idiot for not bringing it up, you can also boot into single-user mode and do it from the command line with fsck, but if you don’t already know how to do it you probably shouldn’t try. fsck is great when things go fine, but if fsck starts freaking out it’s a bad time to be a UNIX newb.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Okay thanks. I'll try it out and report back

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well crapsakes, that repair didn't do anything. It's possible this is all just a horrible dream day as not only did I break two mac products, but I also found out I look like Nate.

Regardless, thanks for your speedy replies

hamburger helper on