Options

Myths and the Busting thereof. [Mythbusters thread]

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    the daily show would be fantastic if it wasn't for the audience

jon stewart is a fantastic interviewer, he just cannot get a word in edgewise because of all the fucking clapping

or if he interviewed people I could give a shit about. its usually stupid actors or some stupid author. interview someone interesting kplzthx

The big black guy from NOVA/Natural History Museum he interviews one in a while is actually extremely entertaining and also interesting
    YES

Neil deGrasse Tyson! He is like the new Carl Sagan and it's wonderful

he was on conan once explaining in implicit detail what it would be like to get killed by a black hole

Knob on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Are these myths made-off for the show?Because i never heard any of them before and who would be stupid enough to believe one of them?

AMERICA

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    He should interview Ron Paul.
    that would be fucking hilarious

I want to see ron paul on colbert

the two just agreeing with each other for the full 5 minutes

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    kari byron is a useless cunt

untrue

she provides much needed titties to what would otherwise be a total sausage party

that other dickbag with the soul patch is the useless cunt

and that asian dude, he's alright.

I don't watch shows for the titties, I got titties at home

all I know is that bitch doesn't do shit

all I know is that she is more interesting than you are
    Byron graduated from Los Gatos High School and went on to study film and sculpture at San Francisco State University, graduating Magna cum laude in May 1998 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Film and Sculpture. Byron spent the following year backpacking - mostly in South Asia, including the Himalayas - and was also involved in a number of art projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kari_byron

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mythbusters is like the scientific version of penn and teller's bullshit

they make some good points but some of their reasoning is iffy

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A whole show could be dedicated to throwing things out of a trebuchet.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

nowyouknow.jpg

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thundar wrote: »
    My favorite myth was the one from the civil war about the dude getting shot in the nutsack and a lady behind him getting pregnant from the bullet.

That was such a complicated setup to test.

Holy shit, I never saw that one. What was the result?

BUSTED

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ThundarThundar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are these myths made-off for the show?Because i never heard any of them before and who would be stupid enough to believe one of them?

I think people email these myths in and they just go along with whatever they're getting a lot of questions about.

Which makes me want to set up multiple email addresses and create a bogus myth to see if it would get on the show.

Thundar on
    Hello.
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

untrue

she provides much needed titties to what would otherwise be a total sausage party

Byron graduated from Los Gatos High School and went on to study film and sculpture at San Francisco State University, graduating Magna cum laude in May 1998 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Film and Sculpture. Byron spent the following year backpacking - mostly in South Asia, including the Himalayas - and was also involved in a number of art projects.

well when you're out on your next date with her, tell her I don't care for her much at all

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »
    I don't watch Brainiac anymore. I'm a Richard Hammond fan and the new guy sucks by comparison.

Hammond is a legend. The new guy is Dick from Dick and Dom, unless he is Dom. Either way he's a cunt.

I didn't even watch Top Gear till after I found out that he was one of the hosts.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Knob wrote: »

jon stewart is a fantastic interviewer, he just cannot get a word in edgewise because of all the fucking clapping

or if he interviewed people I could give a shit about. its usually stupid actors or some stupid author. interview someone interesting kplzthx

The big black guy from NOVA/Natural History Museum he interviews one in a while is actually extremely entertaining and also interesting
    YES

he was on conan once explaining in implicit detail what it would be like to get killed by a black hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_bcdoDMVi8

I love him so much

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

www.snopes.com

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    NondocNondoc Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Knob wrote: »

YES

He also spoke at my high school 8-)

Nondoc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

he and colbert both did

tugga on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

He was on there already

Thundar on
    Hello.
  • Options
    edited September 2007

He was on there already

why do I miss these things.

is there a link anywheres?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    untrue

well when you're out on your next date with her, tell her I don't care for her much at all

no, it would just depress her

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ikuraikura Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I loved Mythbusters up until Deadliest Catch started. Now it's in second place and I feel like I'm cheating.

Edit: Top of page D:

ikura on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mythbusters > Dirty Jobs > How It's Made

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Redheads don't get depressed. They get horny.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    deadliest catch is pretty neat.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

let's ask Keith

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

didn't the mythbusters guys make a mistake in mixing up bullet-proof glass and bullet-resistant glass?

or did i just make that up

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    They also catch fire easily.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    There definitely should be a Darwin Awards TV show.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think they went through all the different types. anyways Im pretty sure they made the distinction on what kind of glass they used

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Actually a caliber with lower mass (such as a .223 round delivered by an AR-15) will have further penetration into water--the .308 from an M1 will break-up relatively quickly--and something like a .50 will practically explode when it touches the water

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    ikuraikura Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    potatoe wrote: »

didn't the mythbusters guys make a mistake in mixing up bullet-proof glass and bullet-resistant glass?

or did i just make that up

I think they did. They also fucked up the chicken canon episode by using the wrong glass for that one too (but they revisited that eventually)

EDIT: the bulletproof glass thing was about the safety glass they stand behind. Jamie said, in one of the first episodes, that it could even stop a bullet. They found out later that it was false.

ikura on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I've only tried to bang them; not set them on fire.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually a caliber with lower mass (such as a .223 round delivered by an AR-15) will have further penetration into water--the .308 from an M1 will break-up relatively quickly--and something like a .50 will practically explode when it touches the water

but yet it still went through the water anyways

I mean mythbusters might not be the definitive source on this but its more than anyone else has got for evidence here

all I know is that I saw the bullet go through the water and the glass. and I dont think they staged it

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I've only tried to bang them; not set them on fire.
    I was just talking about the sun.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I thought the black powder rifle had the best penetration in that test?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

He was on there already

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErBROBgERs

By the way, I am seriously considering this false myth idea. We could make up whatever we wanted, submit it to snopes, spread it around the internet, and then finally submit it to the mythbusters message board and have like 15 people reply to it to gain attention.

Sure, it'd be elaborate, but how fucking awesome would it be if a myth you engineered ended up on mythbusters?

Thundar on
    Hello.
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

He was on there already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErBROBgERs

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, but wouldn't it just be cocks, dicks, rude titties, and violence?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I know where we can get some pretty sweet Mythbusters fanfic :winky:

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Myth: Girls don't care about size

Then porno.

aaaaand scene.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Today we're going to bust whether giving this forumer blowjobs is pleasurable.

BUSTED

Penguin Incarnate on