Options

Myths and the Busting thereof. [Mythbusters thread]

12467

Posts

  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, hey, bullet into water myth is being revisited on the episode coming on right now.

    chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Thundar wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Thundar wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    PotU wrote: »
    He should interview Ron Paul.
    that would be fucking hilarious

    I want to see ron paul on colbert

    the two just agreeing with each other for the full 5 minutes

    He was on there already

    why do I miss these things.

    is there a link anywheres?

    Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ErBROBgERs

    By the way, I am seriously considering this false myth idea. We could make up whatever we wanted, submit it to snopes, spread it around the internet, and then finally submit it to the mythbusters message board and have like 15 people reply to it to gain attention.

    Sure, it'd be elaborate, but how fucking awesome would it be if a myth you engineered ended up on mythbusters?

    It's gotta have a bear or a shark in it.
    Or a bear with sharks for hands.

    Me Too! on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

    I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

    So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

    man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

    but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

    A) A bullet is not a bullet. There's different types, metal jacket vs. non-jacket, hollow point, sabotted, etc.

    B) Bullet proof glass is not a 1 name for all types. I personally know of at least a dozen grades from 2 manufactures. How many did they test?

    C) Stopping power is not the only factor. Pounds per square inch of force is important, but there are other factors at play for penetration.

    The debate is simple. A single point of data does not prove anything. That's the one fault with MythBusters I usually find. They try three or four scenarios and bust it or go "ZOMG PROOFS". In industry, we call those people bankrupt.

    Hunter on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ron Paul '08

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    oh god I am so happy there are other people here who like Neil Tyson

    <3

    I need to finish that book, seriously, I just skipped to the black hole stuff before

    arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys global warming is a myth

    Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

    I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

    So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

    man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

    but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

    A) A bullet is not a bullet. There's different types, metal jacket vs. non-jacket, hollow point, sabotted, etc.

    B) Bullet proof glass is not a 1 name for all types. I personally know of at least a dozen grades from 2 manufactures. How many did they test?

    C) Stopping power is not the only factor. Pounds per square inch of force is important, but there are other factors at play for penetration.

    The debate is simple. A single point of data does not prove anything. That's the one fault with MythBusters I usually find. They try three or four scenarios and bust it or go "ZOMG PROOFS". In industry, we call those people bankrupt.

    as far as me getting shot? a bullet is a bullet. this is what Im saying. Im not trying to be an expert here. Im just saying I saw the M1 do better.

    well I think I saw it do better, but I'm willing to trust the mythbuster guys

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    potatoe wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

    I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

    So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

    man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

    but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

    didn't the mythbusters guys make a mistake in mixing up bullet-proof glass and bullet-resistant glass?

    or did i just make that up

    If they did, I'm sending them a nasty email with pages of techno babble and formulation spreadsheets. Just to pretend my pigeon holed knowledge means something to anyone besides the 500 or so people in the world that work with glass at this level.

    Hunter on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We will see...they're gonna be redoing it in this episode.

    chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I love it when you talk dirty, Hunter.

    BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

    I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

    So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

    man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

    but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

    A) A bullet is not a bullet. There's different types, metal jacket vs. non-jacket, hollow point, sabotted, etc.

    B) Bullet proof glass is not a 1 name for all types. I personally know of at least a dozen grades from 2 manufactures. How many did they test?

    C) Stopping power is not the only factor. Pounds per square inch of force is important, but there are other factors at play for penetration.

    The debate is simple. A single point of data does not prove anything. That's the one fault with MythBusters I usually find. They try three or four scenarios and bust it or go "ZOMG PROOFS". In industry, we call those people bankrupt.

    as far as me getting shot? a bullet is a bullet. this is what Im saying. Im not trying to be an expert here. Im just saying I saw the M1 do better.

    well I think I saw it do better, but I'm willing to trust the mythbuster guys

    As a glass scientist who is into firearms, I piss all over this myth. Also, harrumph

    Hunter on
  • Options
    ikuraikura Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    potatoe wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

    I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

    So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

    man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

    but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

    didn't the mythbusters guys make a mistake in mixing up bullet-proof glass and bullet-resistant glass?

    or did i just make that up

    If they did, I'm sending them a nasty email with pages of techno babble and formulation spreadsheets. Just to pretend my pigeon holed knowledge means something to anyone besides the 500 or so people in the world that work with glass at this level.

    Make sure you address the letter to Jamie then. He's the one that made that mistake D:

    (You should do it.)

    ikura on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys global warming is a myth
    YEAH I AM A CHAMPION OF REASON AND FACT BUT I WILL DENY SCIENTIFIC FACT WHEN IT COMES TO GLOBAL WARMING

    shit, you could say that about both sides

    Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys global warming is a myth

    in my opinion we're just experiencing the backlash from the Little Ice Age

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ikura wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    potatoe wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

    I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

    So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

    man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

    but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

    didn't the mythbusters guys make a mistake in mixing up bullet-proof glass and bullet-resistant glass?

    or did i just make that up

    If they did, I'm sending them a nasty email with pages of techno babble and formulation spreadsheets. Just to pretend my pigeon holed knowledge means something to anyone besides the 500 or so people in the world that work with glass at this level.

    Make sure you address the letter to Jamie then. He's the one that made that mistake D:

    I will only accept nude photos of Kari Byron as an apology.

    Hunter on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys shoe and teefs are pretty identical in my brain

    one is secretly a lady and the other is secretly canadian but aside from that I mean

    Skull Man on
  • Options
    ikuraikura Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    ikura wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    potatoe wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    man I liked the myth they did of shooting through bullet proof glass. frigging M1 Garand blasted that motherfucking glass all good like.

    I've seen bullet proof glass that has stopped military rifle fire from automatics. In person.

    So, that one I was a bit iffy on. It depends on grade of bullet proof glass, rate of fire, proximity, and total stress per square inch.

    man m16's have nothing on stopping power when compared to the M1. they're about range and accuracy, not stopping power. I mean a bullet is a bullet and the fuck I don't want to be shot by either since I'd probably die either way.

    but I mean the m1 went through several feet of water and through the glass. Im not sure what there is to debate there

    didn't the mythbusters guys make a mistake in mixing up bullet-proof glass and bullet-resistant glass?

    or did i just make that up

    If they did, I'm sending them a nasty email with pages of techno babble and formulation spreadsheets. Just to pretend my pigeon holed knowledge means something to anyone besides the 500 or so people in the world that work with glass at this level.

    Make sure you address the letter to Jamie then. He's the one that made that mistake D:

    I will only accept nude photos of Kari Byron as an apology.

    I concur!

    ikura on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys global warming is a myth

    in my opinion we're just experiencing the backlash from the Little Ice Age

    Then your opinion is stupid. You should run for public office.

    Hunter on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    If you get rid of global warming, you will also get rid of global cooling.

    PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    global warming is inevitable and you liberal pussies better learn to suck it up and wear some sunblock. also move away from the coast.

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Global warming is caused by Daylight Savings time or so I've read.

    Hunter on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    guys global warming is a myth

    in my opinion we're just experiencing the backlash from the Little Ice Age

    Then your opinion is stupid. You should run for public office.

    I will be president and allllll the people will love me

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    oh god I am so happy there are other people here who like Neil Tyson

    <3

    i love his interviews with jon stewart

    last time he talked about how single celled organisms came from mars via meteor strike

    tugga on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We need more pirates.

    chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    clearly global warming is a communist conspiracy to raise taxes and support the inefficient morass of socialized mail delivery

    vote ron paul

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Really now, no one talks about global cooling nowadays.

    PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Global warming is caused by volcanoes and cow farts

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd like to take the log ride over hershey falls if you catch my drift

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    Really now, no one talks about global cooling nowadays.

    because it didn't happen and people needed something to freak out about

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm all for getting rid of cows.

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I solve global warming by eating cow. Fuck you PETA, I love the environment.

    Hunter on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited September 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    Really now, no one talks about global cooling nowadays.

    because it didn't happen and people needed something to freak out about

    Do you even know what the global cooling is?

    PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm hot blooded

    check it and see

    we'll be extinct by 3003

    Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    PotU wrote: »
    Really now, no one talks about global cooling nowadays.

    because it didn't happen and people needed something to freak out about

    Do you even know what the global cooling is?

    Do you know what Global Bergin' is?

    Hunter on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Didn't Mythbuster's claim that cow tipping was a myth?

    Cause someone was saying that the other day, and that just doesn't sound right.

    Inquisitor on
Sign In or Register to comment.