As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grinding Laser Printer!

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok guys, I just came into work, and my laser printer is grinding when the paper is being fed. Doesn't happen when the heads calibrate, only when paper is being moved through. It's a Dell 5100cn series, and when I opened the front compartment, there was a small amount of plastic particle dust on the gears and right below the fusers. What should I do?

League of Legends:Varega
Varega on

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not familiar with Dell's laser printers, but assuming it takes a toner cartridge, do you have another cartridge you can throw in to see if the noise goes away? On many HPs I've worked on, the cartridge contains gears, etc, which wear out faster than other components, and some can cause grinding.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's what I thought, but I really don't see any moving parts on them. Link Here

It sounds like it's coming from the upper right part of the printer, just before where the toner is. It still prints, and the pages look fine, but it's really starting to freak me out.

Varega on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, looking at the material for that printer, it could be any number of things, (like most printers, it has a ton of moving parts). It could be the transfer roller or imaging drum. Do you have spares for either? If you don't have a printer tech you can call, trial and error parts replacement may be your only option.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It looks like I'll have to do trial and error. I just took another look at the inside of the printer, and I really can't spot anything of major concern. Thanks for your help man, I'll keep this topic up to date with anymore information.

Varega on