As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ebay Seller Shenanigans?

StudioAudienceStudioAudience Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My sister won an auction for a dress a couple of weeks ago. According to her, it was a steal of a price. I sent the seller a paypal, and received a delivery confirmation number from the seller shortly. After about 2 weeks, the item still had not arrived, and the confirmation number shows the status as:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on August 16, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. No further information is available for this item.

Concerned, I shot the seller an email asking if he had actually sent the package. He replied that he had indeed, and that he would contact his USPS representantive to see what was up. I received this emailed today from him:
We apologize for the inconvenience. After we have contacted with our local post office, they were unable to track the item, therefore we will have to cancel the transaction due to item lost in the mail. If the package ever shows up, please contact us back and we will do the same.

Unfortunately we do not have a replacement at the moment, so a full refund for the item will be issued back to your Paypal account and the sales will be cancelled immediately.

Now, although we're happy that he at least refunded the money, we're a bit curious as to whether he had actually shipped the product, or if he never bothered because the ending price of the auction was lower than what he had wanted. My sister wants to leave him negative feedback, but I'm unsure of how accurate the USPS status pages are. The way I see it though, it looks like the package was never received by the post office, and only electronic shipping info was given. Is there a difference? Thoughts? Opinions?

studaud.png
GFWL: studaud (for SF4)
StudioAudience on

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Let him know that you're suspicious and tell him that if you see that item up for bid you'll report him.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That paypal shipping thing is sketchy as hell. It did the same thing to me. I still got the package though.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The first message you got was USPS telling you the seller told them that he was coming with a package to drop of. Its a toss up on if he actually dropped it off or not.

USPS is actually very good on shipping an item... I would consider it suspect they lost a package... if it was UPS or FedEx, I would buy it more.

There is no status tracking with USPS, you pretty much get the notice you did, and then another notice when its dropped off. And 9/10 you will see the package before its status is updated. There is no way to know where it is between the time it was shipped to your door.

You have the tracking number... if YOU talked to USPS (it is your package , its your right) would they say the package was lost, or that they never actually got it to ship?

IEbay feedback is crap anyway. if you leave negative, they will do the same... ditto w/ neutral. Even though you paid on time.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If the USPS system is at all comparable to Canada Post, there's a fairly good chance they lost the package.

I used to work for a company that shipped hundreds of mailorder items per day, and basically what happens is the customer orders, we packaged the item, and print our own Canada Post Expresspost labels, and create our shipping manifest and whatnot to Canada Post electronically, as well as provide a printed copy with the actual packages, which are delivered by us to the local Post Office. From that point Canada Post punts them into the regular mail service.

So when they recieve an electronic manifest with your item on it, that's "Notified to expect package".

Probably about one in four thousand of our packages went missing after they'd left our warehouse, basically we packaged them and declared them on the manifest, they left our building, and were never seen again. We'd find out when the customer didn't recieve their package within the prescribed 10-14 days.

Ruckus on