As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSP: UMD Troubles..?

MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Back when I had a PSP (I bought one at launch, then it was stolen two summers ago from me at gun point, long story.) I bought Daxter (that was also stolen. Bleck.) but upon my first purchase of the game, the white plastic part around the UMD broke open. Luckily it was just a day after having bought it, so I took it back, and they gave me a new UMD. A friend of mine's who's PSP broke gave me his copy of Lumines (mine was stolen with the PSP) because I am replacing my PSP with the new faster loading models coming out this month. Sadly his copy of Lumines has encountered the same exact problem that my Daxter game did. Is there a way to repair this? Is there someone I can call, or are UMDs just built in a way that they become useless for no reason after a while?

Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
MC Mystery on

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    call company and see if they offer replacement program for discs. Some do it for free, others for a fee.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My copy of Metal Gear Acid is like this, because I bought it used from Blockbuster. Check out how you put the UMDs in and take them out of the game cases, it seems to be a design flaw - the notch catches on the plastic seem.

Playing these games like that won't mess anything up, just as long as the plastic is still together for the most part, even if you can somewhat separate the parts with your hands.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I will say I make no promises on the results of this...

I had a couple games do this to me (Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins, nooooooo!). A bit of modeling cement worked wonders, once I filed off the bit that squeezed out the side.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I guess super glue could work too, as long I didn't get any on the disc itself. I guess all I needed to know was if the PSP itself ever needed to seperate the white plastic, as if not Super Glue will be my solution, either than or the safer, but maybe less effective just using tape method that my friend suggested.

What the hell Sony. What the hell.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Really, you don't need to do anything about it. I've got one or two UMDs that do this, my most-played ones specifically, but it's never seemed to cause any problems.

Wonder_Hippie on