As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Calc, integration, and me forgetting it

Food?Food? Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in Calc 2, and it's been over a year and a half since I had any math class. Thus, I've forgotten even the basics.

What we're working on now is integration by parts. Example problem 1:

integral of (216(x^2)cos(6x))

So what I did so far was set
u=216(x^2)        dv=cos(6x)
du=432x            v=(sin(6x)/6)
I'm pretty sure it's correct so far, but I honestly can't remember how to do it. Anyways, I now have

216(x^2)(sin(6x)/6)- int[(sin(6x)/6)(432x)dx]

Which, when solved, is equal to

36(x^2)(sin(6x))+6(x^2)(cos(6x))

which is wrong. Where did I mess up?

gr_smile2.gif
Food? on

• Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    it's been a while for me too, but offhand I'd say switch what you have for u and dv, because it's much easier to find the derivative of cos6x than the antiderivative...also when you find the antiderivative of 216x^2, it reduces to 72x^3 which is a pretty easy number to work with.

EDIT: given that, let me know if you can work out the rest, if not I'll try to rack my brains for the rest. Looking at it though I think you'll probably have to do IBP once more to get the answer.

EDIT2: oops maybe I was wrong, this should not be that difficult to solve. Hold on a second.

EDIT3: OK I'm pretty much stumped here. Too many cobwebs in my brain...Reasonably certain that it's the second part of your solution that is incorrect though. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Chief1138 on
  • cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are you sure you copied this problem right? It seems weird to have that random 216 in front of everything. Since that's a number, you can just take it out of the integral, since integral[ a f(x) dx ] = a integral[ f(x) dx] (since integrals are just sums).

In problems like this you want to use u=x^p and dv=trig(x). That way you eliminate powers of x to get something you know how to integrate.

So here you have u=x^2, dv=cos(6x) dx
    So, du =2x dx, v = 1/6 sin(6x)

So u*v - Integral [ v du ] = x^2 sin(6x)/6 - Integral[ 2x 1/6 sin(6x) ]

Then, do integration by parts again to get the integral of cosine, which is something that's easy to do.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Food?Food? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cfgauss wrote: »
    Are you sure you copied this problem right? It seems weird to have that random 216 in front of everything. Since that's a number, you can just take it out of the integral, since integral[ a f(x) dx ] = a integral[ f(x) dx] (since integrals are just sums).

In problems like this you want to use u=x^p and dv=trig(x). That way you eliminate powers of x to get something you know how to integrate.

So here you have u=x^2, dv=cos(6x) dx
    So, du =2x dx, v = 1/6 sin(6x)

So u*v - Integral [ v du ] = x^2 sin(6x)/6 - Integral[ 2x 1/6 sin(6x) ]

Then, do integration by parts again to get the integral of cosine, which is something that's easy to do.

That's what I did, and WebWork still says it's incorrect. Here's what's been entered as my answer:

216((x^2)[ sin(6x)/6]+[ x/18]cos(6x))+C

The parentheses are somewhat confusing because WebWork automatically takes what you've entered and converts it into something it understands before it checks it. Why is that answer wrong?

Food? on
    gr_smile2.gif
  • Food?Food? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, so I had someone from my class show the answer to me, and apparently it's

36(x^2)sin(6x) +(12x)cos(6x) -(2)sin(6x) +C

but I can't figure out how. I'd really like to learn where I messed up, so I don't do it again.

Food? on
    gr_smile2.gif
  • inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm leaving out the factor of 216 for simplicity's sake.
    int(x^2*cos(6*x),x) = x^2*sin(6*x)/6-1/6*int(2*x*sin(6*x),x)
    =x^2*sin(6*x)/6-1/3*(-x*cos(6*x)/6+int(cos(6*x)/6,x))
    =x^2*sin(6*x)/6-1/3*(-x*cos(6*x)/6+sin(6*x)/36)
    =x^2*sin(6*x)/6+1/18*x*cos(6*x)-1/108*sin(6*x)
    Multiply through by the 216 and you get the answer.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just throwing this out there: Personally, I can never remember the formula for integration by parts. I always re-derive it when I need it. It comes straight from the product rule,

(uv)' = uv' + vu'.

Just integrate to get

uv = int(uv') + int(vu')

and rearrange to get

int(uv') = uv - int(vu').

Anyway,
    Food? wrote: »
    Anyways, I now have

216(x^2)(sin(6x)/6) - int[(sin(6x)/6)(432x)dx]

Which, when solved, is equal to

36(x^2)(sin(6x)) + 6(x^2)(cos(6x))

which is wrong. Where did I mess up?

The bolded parts are not equal. The bolded integral is another integral you need to do...by parts.

Marty81 on