As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life in a rut, trying to find a job

Nexus ZeroNexus Zero Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've recently graduated from university and I'm looking for a job. The problem is that this "recently" is becoming less-so, and although I've applied for countless jobs I haven't been asked for so much as an interview. I went to a great Uni (Nottingham) but graduated with just a 2:2 in American Studies. Although that was the only course on offer that I decided wouldn't bore me to death after 3 years (it came close), looking back I'm not entirely sure what I thought I'd use it for. Still, the same could be said for English Literature, Philosophy and Politics, other considered degrees.

I want to be a web or print designer, partly because yeah, I love doing it, but also because I don't think I have any other marketable skills. I've been designing websites for years and I was Design Editor for the student magazine. I've always thought I was moderately talented, but the distinct lack of interest has me reconsidering this position; I might lack professional experience, but surely there'd be an employer who would see past that to the talent if it was there?

I'm not in a situation to keep firing off resultless job applications. I am, physically, as my family like having me around, but mentally, I can't live in limbo any longer without going crazy. The problem is that I live in a smallish, isolated town with very few jobs or opportunities. The wannabe alpha-moms around here like to blame the town's trivial idiosyncrasies, such as occasionally unstable TV signals and isolated weather patterns on the fact that it's "in a valley." I don't care about radiowaves and wind, but the valley creates all sorts of problems that are going to drive me to depression or insanity if I stay here much longer. It's a very small-minded town and after going to Uni that's unbearable. I've always joked that if I didn't get straight out I'd get stuck in, however that's becoming the sad reality. This summer has been great because I've seen a lot of my friends; in about a month none of them will be left and there are zero opportunities of making new ones. I don't have a driving licence as I can't afford the 10-ish lessons needed and the test afterwards. I wouldn't be able to afford the car without the job. I often feel lonely even with my mates around because I've been single for three years - I dread to think how I'll feel if I'm still here in two months.

So time is an issue. I've got ideas for books and screenplays but those seem to be things you do in your spare time once you've got an income. I can be a good writer when I'm sufficiently angry about something but have limited experience. I'm intensely interested in politics but to start you need some kind of other career. I need a paying job, ideally in London or Nottingham, but I have no idea how to capitalise on any of these things especially if I'm being rejected on my strongest suit, designing.

I guess I'm looking for advice from people who have been in a similar situation. How did you get out of the position you were in?

tl;dr: Hate this town, broke, need a career but having no luck as a designer.

sig.jpg
Nexus Zero on

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    One piece of advice I can give is that you don't need to be connected to a company to start doing personal projects that will boost your resume. If you get your name semi-out there independently, you'll be more likely to be noticed than if you just say "hey, here's my resume, I went to a good college. Oh what? Work? No, I haven't done that yet". So make a website for yourself with examples of your work. Also look around for personal projects, either for profit, or just for the bragging rights for the finished product.

I'm in a very much word-of-mouth field(music), but the ability to say "Here's my stuff. Here's everything I've played for. Here's all of my stuff that's gotten performed. Here's a CD of my music." really fucking helped before my name was out as a go-to pianist and composer. Hell, I still take non-paying gigs, to make my resume more impressive. I mean, yeah, it's nice to be making money while playing, but being able to say "And I played for this and this and this" makes me more impressive to anyone who wants to hire me for paying gigs.

Short version: Don't just wait to be picked up by a company. Work on bolstering your resume as though it were a job until you get a job. You won't probably want to be a freelancer for your entire life, but starting off as one will show that you can at least do work, and do it well.

Khavall on