As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Take my car to Canada?

skyboxskybox Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm going to be attending the University of Northern British Columbia in the spring. I have everything worked out except for transportation. I don't plan to become a resident of Canada while I'm going to school, so, for now, my stay will only be temporary. One of the biggest questions I still face is whether or not I want to bring my car with me. If I do, I'm not certain of any problems that I will face. I do know that I will have to install a block heater for the winter. Is that the best option, or would a simple dipstick heater work fine? Are there any special permits that I should look into. And what should I do when my inspection and registration expire? Any help is much appreciated!

skybox on

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you are going to take your car to UNBC, you are going to need a block heater. While the winters have been getting a little less cold in Prince George, it can still get pretty nippy and you are going to be spending a lot of time parked on a cold hill. I do not think a dipstick heater will cut it.

I cannot help you with your other questions, but if you belong to AAA they may be able to give you some pointers.

EDIT: Let me also add that if you can afford it, bring your car with you. Prince George has a fairly shoddy transit system, although it may have improved in the time since I was there. Service to UNBC is fair, but if you do not like waiting for the bus it will suck.

If you have any other questions about Prince George in general, PM me. I lived there for 25 years and I may be moving back next month for my job.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    skybox wrote: »
    And what should I do when my inspection and registration expire?
    According to the ICBC website, if you're a full-time student, you just need a permit from them to operate your vehicle in BC. Having lived in BC and owned a car there, I can tell you that insurance is fairly expensive in BC, because of the lack of competition in the market (provincial insurance, it's for the lose). Depending on how ICBC compares to rates where you live, I'd recommend renewing your registration and insurance in your home province/state if at all possible.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you're coming form a place that doesn't use salt on the roads, be sure to get a good coat of rust check or a full undercoat before they start laying down the salt in the winter. Also, get frequent car washes. Whenever it is sunny enough for the car to finish drying, get one. Also consider getting full set of winter tires (I don't know how much snow or how bad winter really gets where you are going, but much of Canada in the winter has roads with snow drifts and ice after storms). Carry the usual in the trunk - a bag of sand, a shovel, a couple of blankets, jumper cables, etc... Some of BC has really mild winter and other parts have a pretty normal winter. It is best to be prepared instead of sitting on the side of the road, freezing your ass off while waiting for a tow.

stigweard on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think that you'll feel trapped in the interior without a car. Does Prince George have better transit than Kamloops? I lived there for years, and I think having access to a car was the only thing that kept me sane.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • skyboxskybox Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I haven't actually been there myself, but the word is that the public transportation system isn't half bad.

skybox on
  • skyboxskybox Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My biggest concern is still what I should do with my registration and inspection. I hear that BC doesn't have an environmental check, so I could very well go without renewing my inspection, though I'm not certain of this. However, the vibe I'm getting suggest that I would just need to cross back over the border and renew my registration. How would I even do that? Could I just keep renewing my current registration in Texas, then have the sticker forwarded to me on campus?

skybox on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hear that BC doesn't have an environmental check
    Whoa there, BC most definitely does have enviro inspections of all vehicles past a certain age. It's called AirCare, and apparently it can be a pain in the ass.
    However, the vibe I'm getting suggest that I would just need to cross back over the border and renew my registration. How would I even do that? Could I just keep renewing my current registration in Texas, then have the sticker forwarded to me on campus?
    To be honest, I don't really know what you'd have to do. I recommend talking to your current insurer, find out if you can keep your current insurance legitimately while you're at school in BC. I don't think it's worth saving any amount of money if you later find out that you can't file a claim because you've been residing in BC for X amount of time. My hope would be that you can keep your current insurance, however, because as a student you're not considered to be a permanent resident of BC.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aircare only applies in the Greater Vancouver area. Which Prince George is not in.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    You'll need a block heater. It'll be around $100-$150 plus installation.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH