As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how can I get dsl QUICKLY ?

tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Moved to a new apartment...my roommate pulled some bullshit with AT&T to switch the name on the account which after I talked with a service rep was the worst thing he could have done. Now just because he did something simple like a name change, I wont get service for 10 days. However, if I cancel I wont have to pay any fees. Is there any company I can call that will get me online with DSL immediately or before 10 days? I already have the modem and router D:
:cry:

tracertong on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    no. ten days won't kill you and is in fact probably the fastest hookup time I've ever seen; also reacting like this to a lack of internet isn't healthy. Go to the library, go for a run, reinstall civ IV, blow up a letterbox across town or something.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    None of us have any idea who the ISPs available in your area are. You could call them all and ask, but I doubt any of them are going to be much faster.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    no. ten days won't kill you and is in fact probably the fastest hookup time I've ever seen; also reacting like this to a lack of internet isn't healthy. Go to the library, go for a run, reinstall civ IV, blow up a letterbox across town or something.

Im at the library. Civ4 is boring, I play basketball everyday...man its been 3 days already plus the 10 that are coming up. I also dont have a television. shit pisses me off

tracertong on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tracertong wrote: »
    Moved to a new apartment...my roommate pulled some bullshit with AT&T to switch the name on the account which after I talked with a service rep was the worst thing he could have done. Now just because he did something simple like a name change, I wont get service for 10 days. However, if I cancel I wont have to pay any fees. Is there any company I can call that will get me online with DSL immediately or before 10 days? I already have the modem and router D:
    :cry:

Advice: Call their customer service line and ask why it will take so long, talk to a supervisor, repeat, until you can get your hookup bumped up a few days.

Advice 2: Make friends with some of the DSL installation techs, and or infrastructure techs. One of my fellow volunteer firefighters is Cable Service installer (Basic, Digital, Internet, Telephone) and he can usually just swing by at the end of his shift to do a quick basic install for someone.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I find it slightly worrying that you are this desperate for an internet connection after 3 days !

Its going to be closer to 20 until i get mine (damn sky need you to wait for the tv service to be installed before they can do anything with your broadband :( ! )

Afty on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Afty wrote: »
    I find it slightly worrying that you are this desperate for an internet connection after 3 days !

Its going to be closer to 20 until i get mine (damn sky need you to wait for the tv service to be installed before they can do anything with your broadband :( ! )

well I have no TV either after I sold it a few months ago...

tracertong on
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Theres plenty of books out there my man ;)

Afty on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    tracertong wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »

Im at the library. Civ4 is boring, I play basketball everyday...man its been 3 days already plus the 10 that are coming up. I also dont have a television. shit pisses me off

When all else fails....

Read Disworld you bum, the entire goddamn series, if your library doesnt suck, well it will be in there somewhere.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sometimes DSL providers carry a guest access dial up login, and a few actually include dial up access with thier DSL plans as an emergency backup in case of an outage. Perhaps you should inquire as to whether or not this is the case.

I just finished watching the SF Dune and Children of Dune miniseries; the operation to surgically remove ten hours of my life was a complete success.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd say 10 days is really fast, and it probably has little to do with the name change. Those guys are always bouncing around (THOUSANDS of customers to deal with, all wanting it done NOW), and getting a scheduled appointment inside of 10 days is pretty decent (unless you live out in the middle of nowhere).

I would suggest picking up a hobby. I'm sure you could find SOMETHING fun to do that doesn't involve the internet. I don't want to sound like an old fart, but if the internet is THAT important to your well-being and happiness, then you have a problem that should be dealt with.

Read a lot... There are zillions of high-quality books I can recommend, and if you want some suggestions, shoot me a PM.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Some DSL companies will give you free dialup while you wait for a hookup. Others won't. Do you have regular phone service as well? Dial-up is less than $10 a month.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast