As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Abuse Case and What Can be Done

SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So there's a person A who has been abused by Person B. Person B is now out of the house, but two problems...

1. He will probably be back.
2. He knows a few of the cops in town/has connections with people.

After the first incident, person A didn't report and after 6 weeks said it was too late to do so. Is this necessarily true? Also - what can we do to prevent person B from doing something stupid? I figure that a restraining order is due...but is there anything besides that? What is legally possible in this scenario? If it happens again?

SkyGheNe on

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Get a restraining order definatly and I'd guess possibly a lawyer. Also, there are places that abused persons can go to receive free or heavily discounted help.

What area is this in?

There is no 6 week statute (is that the right word?) that I know of. As far as I know you can always report a crime.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Get a restraining order definatly and I'd guess possibly a lawyer. Also, there are places that abused persons can go to receive free or heavily discounted help.

What area is this in?

There is no 6 week statute (is that the right word?) that I know of. As far as I know you can always report a crime.

We're in Connecticut. And that's what I thought as well - I found it odd that after something happened there was a time limit for reporting it.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xaquin on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unless you are waiting for years, there is no "time limit" to reporting a crime. Without knowing the specifics, it may be a case of the victim feeling they missed their chance or whatever. And for certain types of crimes (like rape) there is certainly a harder time proving it if not done immediately (to find traces of DNA, record bruises, etc).

A restraining order should be fairly easy to do provided they have no legal right to be on that property, knowing cops won't do much good in that regard so long as due diligence is done (changing locks, recording attempts, calling the police EVERY time the other person breaches the distance limit set, etc).

Anything beyond a restraining order however will really depend on the nature of the abuse, evidence available, etc.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unless you are waiting for years, there is no "time limit" to reporting a crime.
    not for all crimes. there are statutes of limitation in certain cases for certain states, depending on what's on the books for local state law. however, in abuse situations, local and federal laws have increasingly become sympathetic towards victims of abuse, and rightly so. your friend needs to go to law enforcement folks right away and document anything and everything about the abuse and what happened.

if the abuser in this case has "connections," a lawyer is probably not a bad idea. there are also nonprofit organizations out there (those in Xaquin's link are good) who try to be as discreet as possible and keep the victim's ID anonymous while providing counseling, legal advice, and general support.

bottom line: your friend should not feel like too much time has gone, but should report the abuse as soon as possible. (you should also be supportive here)

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    the time limits for some cases are usually more on the order of a year or more, not just a few weeks.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg