As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Batthread

• Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Look at that mustache, Keith.

His parents are probably 3 million year old Viltrumites.

Seriously.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    They went down like bitches for 3 million year old Viltrumites.

Hensler on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well that's what happens when you're 3 million years old.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    How about, "What if Joe Chill had killed Bruce Wayne instead of his parents?" Oooohhhh, snap.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    My idea for an Elseworlds is "What if Aquaman was the captain of a pirate ship?"

I will write it some day

please do not steal my ideas

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I remember an Elsweworlds story where just Mr. Wayne got killed. This resulted in Harvey Dent becoming Batman and Bruce became a samurai. I don't think that has anything to do with what we're talking about, but it was a really dumb story.

Hensler on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've got what I feel is a great pitch for bringing back Batman Jones, and an Elseworlds idea set in the dark ages, using a bunch of unpowered JLI members. In it, Ralph Dibny would be broken on the rack by Lord Maxwell, leaving his body elongated and useless, and causing him to suffer from intense facial spasms and tics.

I've got so many notes for DC ideas* scribbled in the margins or my sketchbook, it's not even funny.

*fanfiction nonsense I'll never get around to actually illustrating

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    munch let's make a big Elseworlds book and send it to DC

it'll be like solo

except we'll call it "Duet"

oh man that is so gay sounding

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    We should do it Keith. We should. Then have gay sex with each other.

I'm actually working on a little ten page Blue Beetle short comic right now, to help reconcile my DC love with my Didio/DC Editorial hate. When I get it done I'll post it so everyone can tell me they hate it, me, and my dog.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I already hate it, you, and your dog.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It's not for you.

Munch on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Robin vs. Joker = awesome

When did DC decide that Tim Drake needs to be the best character in their entire universe? I love whoever was responsible.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Briareos wrote:

When did DC decide that Tim Drake needs to be the best character in their entire universe? I love whoever was responsible.

I like him, except for the whole "let's re-clone the guy who hated the fact that he was a clone"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I read the first two paragraphs and that's awful.

You should have finished it, because it ended better. I very much like the idea of drawing inspiration from The Killing Joke. After all, it's one of the best Joker stories ever. I also like the idea that Joker would focus in on Batman right away as a (in a twisted sense) kindred spirit. It brings up the oft-mentioned but rarely explored idea that the masked crazies and villains didn't start showing up in Gotham until Batman appeared and whether Batman should bear any responsibility for making Gotham a more dangerous place just by his existence.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

I like him, except for the whole "let's re-clone the guy who hated the fact that he was a clone"

Wha? Who's a clone?

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kaosu ReidoKaosu Reido Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

Wha? Who's a clone?

Super Legal Action Boy.

Kaosu Reido on
    KAOSU REIDO - The Bullet Of Justice Caps Evil's Ass

dygenguardsig2asp0.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

Wha? Who's a clone?

They're trying to clone/resurrect (which I guess is slightly less moronic) Superboy. Remember the whole 4 Superman thing and Superboy was a Cadmus project?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for the compliment Briareos.

Didn't Superboy get over the clone thing when he found out he had a soul?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I wonder, if given the choice between being a clone and being dead, which Superboy would choose.

Yeah, and at this point, Tim Drake is way awesomer then Dick... it isn't even a contest.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think that the comics public is screaming for an Elseworlds where Batman and the Joker are secretly gay lovers. What happens when a jealous Robin discovers their dark secret and outs them in the national media?

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Please, their love transcends sexuality. Their souls are intertwined.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Briareos wrote:

The Robin "Joker's Wild" mini-series that came out before Robin's solo book got started is pretty good, too

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think a funny thing about killing Nightwing would be that when he had his funeral, all the heroes would reminisce about how much they loved Dick.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I think a funny thing about killing Nightwing would be that when he had his funeral, all the heroes would reminisce about how much they loved Dick.

:D

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You know, for all the people going "Ostrander and Mandrake on Batman??? Awesome!!", this arc sure does suck

however, thank you, Paul Dini, for making a Scarface that could actually work

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I've always liked Scarface. Even Scarface on "The Batman" was pretty awesome because the Ventriloquist made him a giant robot which, ostensibly, he controlled solely through the movements and gyrations of his butt.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I've always hated the Ventriloquist because it was just a crazy shy dude with a puppet

but this new chick knows what she's doing

I mean, she's fucking loco

but as Batman said, she can cover her tracks

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So which of the Batman monthlies would be good to check out. It's been a while since I picked them up with regularity and I was looking to get back into it. I see Detective Comics, Batman, Batman Confidential, The Batman Strikes, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, and a few others all on the list and I would like to narrow things down a bit.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marathon wrote:
    So which of the Batman monthlies would be good to check out. It's been a while since I picked them up with regularity and I was looking to get back into it. I see Detective Comics, Batman, Batman Confidential, The Batman Strikes, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, and a few others all on the list and I would like to narrow things down a bit.

Detective Comics and Batman.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Marathon wrote:

Detective Comics and Batman.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pick up the Paul Dini Detective Comics issues (I think from July to now?) Skip the Dr. Phosphorus story because it sucks and isn't written by Dini.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Pick up the Paul Dini Detective Comics issues (I think from July to now?) Skip the Dr. Phosphorus story because it sucks and isn't written by Dini.

It wasn't that awful, but I kinda wonder who thought it would be a good idea to make a major villain that can be taken out by baking soda.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    Dr. Phosphorous was really good in Starman

Whippy on
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i picked up the Forensic Files of Batman book at half price books the other day and devoured it in a few sittings. it's a really great read for those of us who love the detective-batman more than the batman-begins/jerkface-batman.

inthegray on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Keith wrote:

It wasn't that awful, but I kinda wonder who thought it would be a good idea to make a major villain that can be taken out by baking soda.

I think it was meant to be more of a throwback than anything. Thirty years ago, Batman took down all villains with baking soda.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Latest arc in Batman = meh. I thought the writing and art were good quality, but just wasn't particularly grabbed by the new villain.

Detective Comics has been better. I liked the latest issue a lot.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:

This was great advice and I wish to express my newfound man love for you because of it.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Anyone reading Batman Confidential? I'm getting it right now because Lee is drawing it, and it's hard to pass up Lee drawing my favorite character. The story has been good, not great, and interesting.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    Anyone reading Batman Confidential? I'm getting it right now because Lee is drawing it, and it's hard to pass up Lee drawing my favorite character. The story has been good, not great, and interesting.

I just picked up the second issue, haven't read it yet though.

First issue was just ok I thought. If it's more of the same then I'll probably drop it next month.

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Batman #663.

That was kind of weird. Any word on the reason behind the format?

Lux on
This discussion has been closed.