Options

So you thought you were the only one?

2456711

Posts

  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    mrflippy: Well, he was there because of an aggression control problem. I don't know if that ever happened to him, but we didn't know about his severe OCD until he brought food to the office one day, saying he didn't have time to eat. Then we saw the behavior.

    Aem: He didn't think it was abnormal. He only ever got fries at the same few places, so the people that worked there were used to it.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mrflippy: Well, he was there because of an aggression control problem. I don't know if that ever happened to him, but we didn't know about his severe OCD until he brought food to the office one day, saying he didn't have time to eat. Then we saw the behavior.

    Aem: He didn't think it was abnormal. He only ever got fries at the same few places, so the people that worked there were used to it.

    Unless he was also severely retarded, that's not actually possible (though he may have been lying). OCD people are aware that they are abnormal. It's actually one of the criteria for being diagnosed with OCD, that you are aware that your compulsive tendencies are not normal.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    so if you feel compelled to do stuff, and you think it is normal, you are... what? schizophrenic?

    redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    When I go out to eat with other people, I refuse to order my food until everyone else has, because I hate ordering the same food as someone else. I usually only break this rule if I know I'm getting something that other people won't get, or if we're somewhere with very limited choices. My wife will sometimes change her order to the same thing I order. An Abbot and Costello type routine generally results. :P
    I do this as well. I also always push down the coke/diet/whatever things they have on drink tops.
    Anyone else have M&M fights? You just take two M&Ms and press them together until one of them breaks, the winner is then set off to the side and the process is repeated as a single elimination style tournament. I don't have to do this with my M&Ms, but it's definitely part of the benefit of eating them.

    Neaden on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    redx wrote: »
    so if you feel compelled to do stuff, and you think it is normal, you are... what? schizophrenic?

    Possibly. I haven't researched schizophrenia. I thought about researching it once, but the voices told me not to worry about it so I never did.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    mrflippy: Well, he was there because of an aggression control problem. I don't know if that ever happened to him, but we didn't know about his severe OCD until he brought food to the office one day, saying he didn't have time to eat. Then we saw the behavior.

    Aem: He didn't think it was abnormal. He only ever got fries at the same few places, so the people that worked there were used to it.

    Unless he was also severely retarded, that's not actually possible (though he may have been lying). OCD people are aware that they are abnormal. It's actually one of the criteria for being diagnosed with OCD, that you are aware that your compulsive tendencies are not normal.

    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'll listen to songs for a few weeks, and then stop listening to them. After that, it starts to get annoying to listen to the same song over and over again. If there's a song on the radio that I've already heard like 20 times in the last few weeks, I'll desperately try to change it to another station, because when I hear it again it pains me to listen.

    Unfortunately, it would appear that my brother never gets tired of songs. EVER. I have an album of Panic at the Disco on my iPod, which I listened to, then discarded, and he recently decided that that's all he's going to listen to while we're in the car commuting to school. So far, we've listened to the entire album 3x over in the past 3 weeks, and he does not tire of half-singing along with it (apparently he can't look up lyrics or bother to listen to what they're saying).

    I'm really starting to hate traveling to and from school.

    Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Heh, another one of mine: if the restaurant offers a Reuben, I order it. If it's good enough, especially so if it's open-faced, I'd be tempted to fellate the chef over it.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    mrflippy: Well, he was there because of an aggression control problem. I don't know if that ever happened to him, but we didn't know about his severe OCD until he brought food to the office one day, saying he didn't have time to eat. Then we saw the behavior.

    Aem: He didn't think it was abnormal. He only ever got fries at the same few places, so the people that worked there were used to it.

    Unless he was also severely retarded, that's not actually possible (though he may have been lying). OCD people are aware that they are abnormal. It's actually one of the criteria for being diagnosed with OCD, that you are aware that your compulsive tendencies are not normal.

    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Yeah, that's not at all true. I've had OCD my entire life, so I know a thing or two about it. There's also the DSM-IV, which is pretty clear on this:

    http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com/DSM-OCD.htm
    B. At some point during the course of the disorder, the person has recognized that the obsessions or compulsions are excessive or unreasonable. Note: This does not apply to children.

    That is a NECESSARY component of being diagnosed with OCD.

    Messy people (read: most people) have merely co-opted the term "OCD" to label anal retentive or overly organized people with a mental disorder. Which is funny, but false.

    Also, Wonder_Hippie, you don't even have to have compulsive tendencies to be diagnosed with OCD. You can merely have obsessive thoughts, as outlined in the DSM-IV.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Argus wrote: »
    I'll listen to songs for a few weeks, and then stop listening to them. After that, it starts to get annoying to listen to the same song over and over again. If there's a song on the radio that I've already heard like 20 times in the last few weeks, I'll desperately try to change it to another station, because when I hear it again it pains me to listen.

    Unfortunately, it would appear that my brother never gets tired of songs. EVER. I have an album of Panic at the Disco on my iPod, which I listened to, then discarded, and he recently decided that that's all he's going to listen to while we're in the car commuting to school. So far, we've listened to the entire album 3x over in the past 3 weeks, and he does not tire of half-singing along with it (apparently he can't look up lyrics or bother to listen to what they're saying).

    I'm really starting to hate traveling to and from school.
    This is what your fists are for.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I get party bags of mixed M&Ms and eat them in order. Generally peanut, crispy and normal.

    If I have a multiple faceted meal like a roast, I will tend to fully eat one part of the meal (the carrots, the potatoes) and move onto another section.

    I count the number of mid-road lines between reflective posts at the side of the road.

    I can always tell you whether the stairs I've just been walking up/down are even or odd, and most times I can tell you how many stairs there are.

    I always, always say my name when I call someone, before I say how are you, and it makes me really uncomfortable when anyone around me rings someone and doesn't introduce themselves first (unless they know the other person will recognise their number/voice straight away), especially in a business environment.

    And I always manage to crush a person's hand when I go to shake, without realising it. I've had a few casual acquaintances walk away wincing, even guys when I try very hard to walk the line of "firm but not bonecrushing". I'm not a big burly man of any kind; more the stereotypical average height asian geek.

    When I eat macaroni and cheese I always mix in tomato sauce. This is started by my mother having it as a craving while pregnant with my brother.

    I will very happily eat creamed corn and icecream, together. Again, a craving my mother had, but this time when she was pregnant with me.

    devoir on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    mrflippy: Well, he was there because of an aggression control problem. I don't know if that ever happened to him, but we didn't know about his severe OCD until he brought food to the office one day, saying he didn't have time to eat. Then we saw the behavior.

    Aem: He didn't think it was abnormal. He only ever got fries at the same few places, so the people that worked there were used to it.

    Unless he was also severely retarded, that's not actually possible (though he may have been lying). OCD people are aware that they are abnormal. It's actually one of the criteria for being diagnosed with OCD, that you are aware that your compulsive tendencies are not normal.

    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Yeah, I'd bet his aggression control problem may even have underlying causes in his OCD, since he must have things a certain way, and can't stand it if other people don't abide by his "rules." I know I get annoyed when I see stuff like a backwards hanger or something, but I'm not so compulsive that I would force people to turn it around, though I can imagine that a severe case like this guy might.

    While we're on the subject: I used to eat pepperoni pizzas with a knife and fork, and cut out square pieces that have exactly one pepperoni.

    IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Quoting myself because it was bottom-paged. What most people think constitutes "OCD" is factually incorrect:


    Drez wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    mrflippy: Well, he was there because of an aggression control problem. I don't know if that ever happened to him, but we didn't know about his severe OCD until he brought food to the office one day, saying he didn't have time to eat. Then we saw the behavior.

    Aem: He didn't think it was abnormal. He only ever got fries at the same few places, so the people that worked there were used to it.

    Unless he was also severely retarded, that's not actually possible (though he may have been lying). OCD people are aware that they are abnormal. It's actually one of the criteria for being diagnosed with OCD, that you are aware that your compulsive tendencies are not normal.

    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Yeah, that's not at all true. I've had OCD my entire life, so I know a thing or two about it. There's also the DSM-IV, which is pretty clear on this:

    http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com/DSM-OCD.htm
    B. At some point during the course of the disorder, the person has recognized that the obsessions or compulsions are excessive or unreasonable. Note: This does not apply to children.

    That is a NECESSARY component of being diagnosed with OCD.

    Messy people (read: most people) have merely co-opted the term "OCD" to label anal retentive or overly organized people with a mental disorder. Which is funny, but false.

    Also, Wonder_Hippie, you don't even have to have compulsive tendencies to be diagnosed with OCD. You can merely have obsessive thoughts, as outlined in the DSM-IV.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I eat pizza at a restaurant, and the pizza is just for me, I eat it from the inside out with a knife and fork until there is nothing left but the crust, and then I eat that with my fingers.

    devoir on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    mrflippy: Well, he was there because of an aggression control problem. I don't know if that ever happened to him, but we didn't know about his severe OCD until he brought food to the office one day, saying he didn't have time to eat. Then we saw the behavior.

    Aem: He didn't think it was abnormal. He only ever got fries at the same few places, so the people that worked there were used to it.

    Unless he was also severely retarded, that's not actually possible (though he may have been lying). OCD people are aware that they are abnormal. It's actually one of the criteria for being diagnosed with OCD, that you are aware that your compulsive tendencies are not normal.

    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Yeah, that's not at all true. I've had OCD my entire life, so I know a thing or two about it. There's also the DSM-IV, which is pretty clear on this:

    http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com/DSM-OCD.htm
    B. At some point during the course of the disorder, the person has recognized that the obsessions or compulsions are excessive or unreasonable. Note: This does not apply to children.

    That is a NECESSARY component of being diagnosed with OCD.

    Messy people (read: most people) have merely co-opted the term "OCD" to label anal retentive or overly organized people with a mental disorder. Which is funny, but false.

    Also, Wonder_Hippie, you don't even have to have compulsive tendencies to be diagnosed with OCD. You can merely have obsessive thoughts, as outlined in the DSM-IV.

    And I'll have my Ph.D in psychology in a few years, if I do everything right. A patient doesn't have to present every single symptom to be a candidate for the diagnosis. This is especially true of disorders like OCD, in that they seem to manifest in a wide variety of ways with only a handful of underlying, constant behaviors.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Heh, another one of mine: if the restaurant offers a Reuben, I order it. If it's good enough, especially so if it's open-faced, I'd be tempted to fellate the chef over it.

    You and me, we think a like.

    Veevee on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    mrflippy: Well, he was there because of an aggression control problem. I don't know if that ever happened to him, but we didn't know about his severe OCD until he brought food to the office one day, saying he didn't have time to eat. Then we saw the behavior.

    Aem: He didn't think it was abnormal. He only ever got fries at the same few places, so the people that worked there were used to it.

    Unless he was also severely retarded, that's not actually possible (though he may have been lying). OCD people are aware that they are abnormal. It's actually one of the criteria for being diagnosed with OCD, that you are aware that your compulsive tendencies are not normal.

    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Yeah, that's not at all true. I've had OCD my entire life, so I know a thing or two about it. There's also the DSM-IV, which is pretty clear on this:

    http://www.biologicalunhappiness.com/DSM-OCD.htm
    B. At some point during the course of the disorder, the person has recognized that the obsessions or compulsions are excessive or unreasonable. Note: This does not apply to children.

    That is a NECESSARY component of being diagnosed with OCD.

    Messy people (read: most people) have merely co-opted the term "OCD" to label anal retentive or overly organized people with a mental disorder. Which is funny, but false.

    Also, Wonder_Hippie, you don't even have to have compulsive tendencies to be diagnosed with OCD. You can merely have obsessive thoughts, as outlined in the DSM-IV.

    And I'll have my Ph.D in psychology in a few years, if I do everything right. A patient doesn't have to present every single symptom to be a candidate for the diagnosis. This is especially true of disorders like OCD, in that they seem to manifest in a wide variety of ways with only a handful of underlying, constant behaviors.

    You should brush up on mental disorders then, or at least on OCD, because you are lacking in correct information. You are absolutely, 100% wrong on this. I've honestly never read anything more ignorant about it than this:
    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Not only did you say "the only criteria" (which I've proven wrong), but you are also incorrect in that OCD even requires compulsive tendencies. Your "only criteria" isn't even a necessary criteria, it's an and/or. Compulsions and/or obsessions.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Trust me Drez, I get annoyed at the way OCD is characterized most commonly. I know what OCD really is, and I've worked with quite a few people that have the diagnosis. The uncontrollable urge, the compulsion, that is the important part of it. OCD is, at its base, an impulse control problem. It has less to do with the behaviors themselves, as they're often just some sort of arcane focus, and more to do with the person's drive to partake in those behaviors... compulsively and obsessively.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Trust me Drez, I get annoyed at the way OCD is characterized most commonly. I know what OCD really is, and I've worked with quite a few people that have the diagnosis. The uncontrollable urge, the compulsion, that is the important part of it. OCD is, at its base, an impulse control problem. It has less to do with the behaviors themselves, as they're often just some sort of arcane focus, and more to do with the person's drive to partake in those behaviors... compulsively and obsessively.

    But you quite clearly don't. I don't "trust" you because you are 100% wrong. Not only do I live with OCD, but I also have a fairly large number of family members who have OCD. You've presented absolutely no correct information about the disorder thus far so I'm quite convinced I know a lot more than you about it.

    And as long as you keep saying the "compulsion is the important part of it" you'll keep being wrong, because it's only one half of it and it may not manifest AT ALL in someone who has OCD.

    Honestly, I would just step away from this argument. You're talking to someone who's done at least 15 years worth of research on this specific disease, has it, and knows a large number of people in which it manifests differently and similarly (depending on who).

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    You should brush up on mental disorders then, or at least on OCD, because you are lacking in correct information. You are absolutely, 100% wrong on this. I've honestly never read anything more ignorant about it than this:
    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Not only did you say "the only criteria" (which I've proven wrong), but you are also incorrect in that OCD even requires compulsive tendencies. Your "only criteria" isn't even a necessary criteria, it's an and/or. Compulsions and/or obsessions.

    Yay semantics. I know it's not the only, exclusive, sole symptom. All I meant to imply is that it's the one that's looked for first in patients.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    You should brush up on mental disorders then, or at least on OCD, because you are lacking in correct information. You are absolutely, 100% wrong on this. I've honestly never read anything more ignorant about it than this:
    Yeah... that's not at all true. The only criteria for OCD is that you're compelled to do something, and you're uncomfortable if you can't/don't do it. The compulsion's the important part, really. If you can't stop yourself from doing it, you might be a candidate. Plenty of OCD people are completely unaware that their compulsion is abnormal, nay, they can't even understand why other people don't take part in the same behavior.

    Not only did you say "the only criteria" (which I've proven wrong), but you are also incorrect in that OCD even requires compulsive tendencies. Your "only criteria" isn't even a necessary criteria, it's an and/or. Compulsions and/or obsessions.

    Yay semantics. I know it's not the only, exclusive, sole symptom. All I meant to imply is that it's the one that's looked for first in patients.

    Semantics? You were brushing my comments off and saying that the only criteria is that someone has compulsive tendencies. It's not semantics to explain to you that you are incorrect.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Trust me Drez, I get annoyed at the way OCD is characterized most commonly. I know what OCD really is, and I've worked with quite a few people that have the diagnosis. The uncontrollable urge, the compulsion, that is the important part of it. OCD is, at its base, an impulse control problem. It has less to do with the behaviors themselves, as they're often just some sort of arcane focus, and more to do with the person's drive to partake in those behaviors... compulsively and obsessively.

    But you quite clearly don't. I don't "trust" you because you are 100% wrong. Not only do I live with OCD, but I also have a fairly large number of family members who have OCD. You've presented absolutely no correct information about the disorder thus far so I'm quite convinced I know a lot more than you about it.

    And as long as you keep saying the "compulsion is the important part of it" you'll keep being wrong, because it's only one half of it and it may not manifest AT ALL in someone who has OCD.

    Honestly, I would just step away from this argument. You're talking to someone who's done at least 15 years worth of research on this specific disease, has it, and knows a large number of people in which it manifests differently and similarly (depending on who).

    That's funny, because your original contribution was that a person was retarded or lying because he wasn't aware that his compulsion was excessive and abnormal. You were incredibly wrong about that, and can't even bear to back down from it. I conflated obsession and compulsion, that's my fault, but I have presented absolutely factual information pulled from years of rigorous training in the subject.

    I'm sorry, but just because you know you have it doesn't impart any substantial information.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    I can always tell you whether the stairs I've just been walking up/down are even or odd, and most times I can tell you how many stairs there are.

    I can do the first part only because I almost always take stairs two at a time. But all that other stuff shows me how far I have yet to go ;-)

    IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That's funny, because your original contribution was that a person was retarded or lying because he wasn't aware that his compulsion was excessive and abnormal.

    You were incredibly wrong about that, and can't even bear to back down from it.

    Except that it's absolutely correct.

    a) I know dozens of people with OCD including some that are severely mentally handicapped in other ways. These people display compulsive tendencies, like tapping for example, and have no idea that they are even tapping. They certainly don't know that there is anything unusual about it.

    b) Most people lie about having OCD. This isn't a specific "criteria" outlined in the DSM, but it's common knowledge that it's a shameful disease. Why? Because it's a very stupid disease, especially if you are intelligent. People don't even want to admit to themselves that they have it. It's shameful. This is especially true if you have compulsive tendencies because there is absolutely no way you can apply any logical reason to having to tap something seventeen times or walk a certain way or wash your hands until you bleed every hour on the hour. It's a disease that people lie about all the time, to the point where they even delude themselves. So, yeah, the guy was almost assuredly lying to you. And probably to himself. In fact, my evidence is in how you presented the anecdote. Sounds like the guy strolls into Burger King, buys french fries, and starts lining them up like a doo-doo bird, and then when asked why, he just shrugs, probably because he's resigned it to insanity already and there's basically nothing to explain. There is no logical reason for being compelled to do something so stupid, not even for yourself.

    I will concede that everyone I know has or has had compulsive tendencies at some point, so they are a very prevalent symptom. I was merely pointing out that it's not a necessary symptom. I've been correct on every count and if anyone should "back down," dude, it should be you, because you are not the expert in this particular conversation no matter what your field of study may be, and you have made some either incorrect or just plain sloppy comments with regard to the disorder.

    What's ironic is that I'm compulsively glued to my seat now, when I should be eating, because I want you to concede that your comments were incorrect. I mean, fuck, if you actually study this and work with people you should know how correct I am.

    I conflated obsession and compulsion, that's my fault, but I have presented absolutely factual information pulled from years of rigorous training in the subject.

    I'm sorry, but just because you know you have it doesn't impart any substantial information.

    And I have presented absolutely factual information pulled from a decade and a half of rigorous training in the subject. I've also spoken to experts in the field.

    I'm sorry, but just because you're "getting your PhD" doesn't mean you've imparted anything but stupidity.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    I can always tell you whether the stairs I've just been walking up/down are even or odd, and most times I can tell you how many stairs there are.

    I can do the first part only because I almost always take stairs two at a time. But all that other stuff shows me how far I have yet to go ;-)

    I've tried to stop, but it's quite literally like a little ticker (it even 'feels' like it's in the right side of my brain) that counts off the number of strides I have made and then multiplies by however many steps I've been taking per stride.

    Also in regards to the reflective posts on the sides of the road, a lot of the time I can't help but keep track of the ratio of posts on the left side of the road to the posts on the right side of the road, on top of the whole "how many markers in the middle of the road per reflective post". It gets very frustrating sometimes when a road just becomes a number puzzle for me.

    devoir on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Another thing; whenever I clip my toenails, I'm compelled to take the clippings and chew on them. This is a holdover from when I was a kid and was flexible enough to bite my own toes. I know it's disgusting, but I just can't help myself. :oops:

    Also, I'll drink a mojito anywhere there's a bartender that will make one, and I'll order a quesadilla or crab cakes at any restaurant that has them on the menu. I like to think I'm making some kind of "best of" list in my mind for these three things.

    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    [school yard chant] Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight [/school yard chant]

    Veevee on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Another thing; whenever I clip my toenails, I'm compelled to take the clippings and chew on them. This is a holdover from when I was a kid and was flexible enough to bite my own toes. I know it's disgusting, but I just can't help myself. :oops:

    Waitwait. You can't help yourself being compelled, or you can't help yourself following through on the compulsion? There's an important distinction somewhere in there.

    devoir on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Another thing; whenever I clip my toenails, I'm compelled to take the clippings and chew on them. This is a holdover from when I was a kid and was flexible enough to bite my own toes. I know it's disgusting, but I just can't help myself. :oops:

    Waitwait. You can't help yourself being compelled, or you can't help yourself following through on the compulsion? There's an important distinction somewhere in there.

    Following through, but that's not totally true. I can stop myself, but I've got to really convince myself not to. If I'm distracted or just absently clipping my nails, I'll do it without thinking.

    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Another thing; whenever I clip my toenails, I'm compelled to take the clippings and chew on them. This is a holdover from when I was a kid and was flexible enough to bite my own toes. I know it's disgusting, but I just can't help myself. :oops:

    Waitwait. You can't help yourself being compelled, or you can't help yourself following through on the compulsion? There's an important distinction somewhere in there.

    Following through, but that's not totally true. I can stop myself, but I've got to really convince myself not to. If I'm distracted or just absently clipping my nails, I'll do it without thinking.

    Man...that's gross. At least I made sure my compulsive tendencies were always "clean".

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, but I've never been much of a clean freak. It's also an extension of my lifelong nail-biting habit.

    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Another thing; whenever I clip my toenails, I'm compelled to take the clippings and chew on them. This is a holdover from when I was a kid and was flexible enough to bite my own toes. I know it's disgusting, but I just can't help myself. :oops:

    Waitwait. You can't help yourself being compelled, or you can't help yourself following through on the compulsion? There's an important distinction somewhere in there.

    Following through, but that's not totally true. I can stop myself, but I've got to really convince myself not to. If I'm distracted or just absently clipping my nails, I'll do it without thinking.

    Man...that's gross. At least I made sure my compulsive tendencies were always "clean".

    Don't judge. I want this thread to be an open environment. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of this thread.

    IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Another thing; whenever I clip my toenails, I'm compelled to take the clippings and chew on them. This is a holdover from when I was a kid and was flexible enough to bite my own toes. I know it's disgusting, but I just can't help myself. :oops:

    Waitwait. You can't help yourself being compelled, or you can't help yourself following through on the compulsion? There's an important distinction somewhere in there.

    Following through, but that's not totally true. I can stop myself, but I've got to really convince myself not to. If I'm distracted or just absently clipping my nails, I'll do it without thinking.

    Man...that's gross. At least I made sure my compulsive tendencies were always "clean".

    Don't judge. I want this thread to be an open environment. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of this thread.

    But what if I have agoraphobia and thus my compulsive tendency toward not being in open spaces also includes a compulsion toward making open spaces less open and therefore your suggestion that I not do so restricts me and thus it's not really that open an environment but then that means I succeeded in my goal which means actually that it all comes out in the wash! The End.

    But, yeah, sorry, I was just making a little joke and I forgot the "smilie" emoticon at the end.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It has the feel of a www.lowbrow.com snapshot of the PA forums. :P

    Or at least, when Lowbrow was good, and not just audio recordings.

    Edit: Dammit, I just admitted to having followed lowbrow for a long time. :P

    devoir on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All of the clothes in my closet face to the left, are all evenly spaced, and the hangers all face inward. I do it, because that's the way it's supposed to be done. I blame years of retail.

    When I eat M&Ms, I first separate them all by color. Then I sort them into evenly numbered groups by color, and any extras are given away to someone else. I don't want any dirty non-evenly numbered M&Ms.

    Anyway, then I eat one of each color until I've finished them all.

    Murphy on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I eat food that has a spread or flavoring upside down.

    Pizza, cinnamon rolls, toast, whatever, I don't eat it flavor side up. If you eat it upside down then your tongue gets the most flavor!

    GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I eat food that has a spread or flavoring upside down.

    Pizza, cinnamon rolls, toast, whatever, I don't eat it flavor side up. If you eat it upside down then your tongue gets the most flavor!

    Haha :D Doesn't that burn your tongue when you eat pizza though? Also, how do you keep the cheese from falling off? (I honestly can't imagine how it's physically possible unless you only eat cold pizza where the cheese is stiff.)

    IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    All of the clothes in my closet face to the left, are all evenly spaced, and the hangers all face inward. I do it, because that's the way it's supposed to be done. I blame years of retail.

    When I eat M&Ms, I first separate them all by color. Then I sort them into evenly numbered groups by color, and any extras are given away to someone else. I don't want any dirty non-evenly numbered M&Ms.

    Anyway, then I eat one of each color until I've finished them all.

    When I eat M&Ms, I sperate them by color. Then I eat one from the group that has the largest amount. But I can't eat the same twice in a row. So I go to the next largest. If to groups match in size, I eat one of the LIGHTER color. I repeat this process until all M&Ms are gone. I do this with skittles, too.

    At work, is i don't have money in a multiple of five, I ask guys for a tip. Just 0ne or three more dollars. I hate having extra ones for some reason.

    Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I eat food that has a spread or flavoring upside down.

    Pizza, cinnamon rolls, toast, whatever, I don't eat it flavor side up. If you eat it upside down then your tongue gets the most flavor!

    Haha :D Doesn't that burn your tongue when you eat pizza though? Also, how do you keep the cheese from falling off? (I honestly can't imagine how it's physically possible unless you only eat cold pizza where the cheese is stiff.)

    I either have to choose between eating it right side up or getting burned and/or greasy fingers from holding cheese and such in place D: It's not a decision I would wish on anybody.

    And all this talk of M&Ms reminds me of this:
    MM.jpg

    GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am constantly counting in multiples of four in my head. I usually only make it to 100 before stopping.

    SteevL on
Sign In or Register to comment.