Options

So you thought you were the only one?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    I have to fall asleep facing a window or the door.

I'm the exact opposite. I have to sleep facing the wall. If a bed is not up against the wall, like in a hotel room or something, it makes me uncomfortable. That's only if I'm in a bed, though. I can generally fall asleep on any surface.

Sleep wise I guess I am kind of odd. I have to sleep on my stomach, with my head facing to the right, preferably on two pillows, with my arms between the two pillows. Apparently, this is also exactly how my dad sleeps. Also, to fall asleep, all I have to do is focus on my breathing and I am out like a light in a minute. I am very hard to wake up accidentally, and almost never have dreams.

I used to sleep walk, but now I just sit up in bed when someone enters the room and watch them with my eyes, though I am still totally asleep. I apparently also say stuff in my sleep still, sometimes yelling things loudly like "Shut up, just shut the fuck up okay?!"

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I'm the exact opposite. I have to sleep facing the wall. If a bed is not up against the wall, like in a hotel room or something, it makes me uncomfortable. That's only if I'm in a bed, though. I can generally fall asleep on any surface.

Sleep wise I guess I am kind of odd. I have to sleep on my stomach, with my head facing to the right, preferably on two pillows, with my arms between the two pillows. Apparently, this is also exactly how my dad sleeps. Also, to fall asleep, all I have to do is focus on my breathing and I am out like a light in a minute. I am very hard to wake up accidentally, and almost never have dreams.

I used to sleep walk, but now I just sit up in bed when someone enters the room and watch them with my eyes, though I am still totally asleep. I apparently also say stuff in my sleep still, sometimes yelling things loudly like "Shut up, just shut the fuck up okay?!"

I had a friend in high school that slept so hard, we could roll him up in a fold-out bed and he wouldn't wake up. It was ridiculous. We did eventually find that the only way we could reliably wake him up was to take his watch off of his wrist.

That didn't stop us from fucking with him, though.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hate phone calls too. I frequently won't answer and will moments later text the person making up some excuse as to why I missed the call.

also, this is somewhat different but, I move my legs constantly. they are always tapping or shaking. it's for different reasons at different times, but it's always true. I know I'm not alone on this.

edit - more on talking to myself... I will regularly argue with myself as to whether or not I am sure of something. I will then have to explain it fully to myself to prove that I know whatever fact is in question.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    I really, really enjoy squeezing black-heads.

I have to not do it, because they invariable become pimples if I do, but goddamn there are few things more satisfying in this world than a glob of cebum being excreted from one of your pores.

I did that... on a ex-girlfriend's face! No lie and in a sick way it was fun.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    This isn't really a compulsion, more of a little quirk, but almost all of my thoughts are in conversation form.

I'm kind of the opposite. I don't typically think in words. I have no inner monologue the vast majority of the time.

Sometimes people don't believe me when I say that.

I think in cartoon, so you're not so weird.

I do this.

I also always use complete sentences and punctuation and suuch, even in IMs and games and IRC and such. I have been known to become downright furious with those who use txtspk.

yalborap on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    even if they like your moostash?

Tube on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I curse inanimate objects and gravity--usually when both conspire against me. I've actually had extended conversations with my kitchen utensils... y'know, like when you're trying to load the dishwasher and get some house shit done so you can go and play BioShock, and you drop the same fork three god damn times in a a row: "Motherfucker, I don't have time for your bullshit! I need to play some Arcadia, bitch!"

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I'm at a restaurant by myself, I always try to sit with my back to the wall. Because... you know.... ninjas.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    When I'm at a restaurant by myself, I always try to sit with my back to the wall. Because... you know.... ninjas.

I do that as well. The closest thing I ever had to an anxiety attack was when I was in a restaurant sitting in a place that required the entire wait staff to walk directly behind me approximately every five seconds.

Doc on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I talk to myself out loud and often have to tell myself, "Stop talking to yourself." Again, out loud. I even get into petty arguments, sometimes splitting into a three-way so I can have one that says, "Both of you, shut up."

Glyph on
  • Options
    Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mantidor wrote: »
    I have my compulsive things but I don't think they are unique.

However I think my way of eating oreos or any similar cookie is different. I open them up, but I don't lick the cream, I think thats gross, I bite the cookie/cream combo softly, enough to detach the cream from the cookie but without actually breaking the cookie, after I eat the whole cream this way I eat the cookie. it can take some time, you have to make small bites to get the cream to fall off, biting right in the middle won't work.

I don't like to lick it either. I peel off the cream with my teeth (If I choose not to eat it whole.)

I talk in my sleep, too.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mantidor wrote: »
    I have my compulsive things but I don't think they are unique.

However I think my way of eating oreos or any similar cookie is different. I open them up, but I don't lick the cream, I think thats gross, I bite the cookie/cream combo softly, enough to detach the cream from the cookie but without actually breaking the cookie, after I eat the whole cream this way I eat the cookie. it can take some time, you have to make small bites to get the cream to fall off, biting right in the middle won't work.

I do the same thing. :)

Nerissa on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I guess the only thing guilty I have is being obsessive about the stuff I have with me. For example: If I have my wallet in my bag, I always checkc to see if I have it, even though I know I have it in my bag. I check probably 3 to 4 times everytime I put it in my bag.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    Has anyone ever realized their subconscious has figured out things much faster/ better than you ever could? Like, you get the urge to do something completely unrelated to what you are currently doing, or just plain doesnt make sense, then a little later on something happens that makes you go "fuck, I knew I should have done that." And I dont mean like, hindsight I should have done that. You have something to do at 4pm, and its currently 10am. You are not thinking of the stuff you have to do at 4pm at all, and you get the urge/feeling to do something related to the 4pm event, but you dont even associate the two.

My subconscious is much smart/faster than my conscious mind

I solved a nagging question in a dream once. I had downloaded at some point the soundtrack to FLCL, and one of the songs in it was titles Kabarefusuki. For the longest time (like a year) I wondered what the heck it was. Then one night in a dream, I thought to myself, what if it was instead written in katakana, making it a foreign word, and you of course wouldn't pronounce those two 'u's and the 'r' would be like an 'l'. That makes it Kabalevsky! I woke up and pretty much shouted Kabalevsky, then turned on my computer, looked it up to confirm, and went back to sleep contented.
    I don't just hold conversations in my head, I create people in my imagination and then converse with them. Each character usually lasts 2-4 years before I grow bored of them. I have a pretty vivid imagination and think in words and colour to the point that I can walk for half an hour and not realise it. I'm usually acting out scenes from imaginary movies in my head.

I do this all the time. I used to imagine fight scenes when I would go to bed. I also sometimes imagine how would explain whatever video game I'm playing to mother, everything from the plot, to basic mechanics and statistics.
    Another one of my little quirks is my complete dislike of phones. I hate answering them, and I hate making calls even more. If I have to call someone other than my girlfriend or my parents, I have to plan out exactly what I'm going to say. This can sometimes take an hour. Then I'll go and dial the number and hang up right before I hit the final digit and plan out the conversation some more. If I have to make a bunch of calls in succession, though, I'll usually be fine after making the first one.

I hate hate hate making phone calls or chatting on the phone.

For a long time I had convinced myself that my right leg was longer than my left, or at least took longer steps automatically. I did a lot of tile walking games like most people, and one of them was that I liked to make my whole foot fit in the tile. The tiles in the main hallway of my church were sized in such a way that I had to either extend or shorten my stride to have my whole foot in, so I guess I just always extended it on my right and shortened on my left. Eventually I noticed that I did this with any tiled floor, and now its a conscious effort to keep them even.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    Has anyone ever realized their subconscious has figured out things much faster/ better than you ever could? Like, you get the urge to do something completely unrelated to what you are currently doing, or just plain doesnt make sense, then a little later on something happens that makes you go "fuck, I knew I should have done that." And I dont mean like, hindsight I should have done that. You have something to do at 4pm, and its currently 10am. You are not thinking of the stuff you have to do at 4pm at all, and you get the urge/feeling to do something related to the 4pm event, but you dont even associate the two.

My subconscious is much smart/faster than my conscious mind

There is a book called "Blink" about the subconscious and fast thinking.

Doc on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

I never go to a sit down restaurant by myself. Some think I'm weird like that.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I'll go to the Indian buffet near my work for lunch alone, but otherwise I'm exactly the same.

Doc on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not really a germophobe or anything, but if I find myself in a public restroom I'm not touching a God damned thing. I flush with my feet.

Also, I will pretty much always go for a stall, as to prevent the invisible homo ninjas from ogling my cock. Plus it's hard to reach a urinal lever with my foot.

Antishow on
  • Options
    haetmongerhaetmonger Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    For quite a few years I would write out some words in the air with my finger as I heard them on TV. I was pretty young at the time so I can't remember exactly what the deciding criteria of whether any given word was writeworthy or not, but I do know that enough of them were making the cut that I would often have a little queue that I would have to write during commercials since I couldn't get them all done fast enough.

I like having my feet up on my chair while sitting, resulting in many a meal being eaten in what is pretty much foetal position. Naturally I try to refrain from doing so when in public.

haetmonger on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    haetmonger wrote: »
    For quite a few years I would write out some words in the air with my finger as I heard them on TV. I was pretty young at the time so I can't remember exactly what the deciding criteria of whether any given word was writeworthy or not, but I do know that enough of them were making the cut that I would often have a little queue that I would have to write during commercials since I couldn't get them all done fast enough.

I like having my feet up on my chair while sitting, resulting in many a meal being eaten in what is pretty much foetal position. Naturally I try to refrain from doing so when in public.

Do what I do and sit crosslegged.

yalborap on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have to pace while I'm on the phone, and the pacing has to be circular, preferably on carpet so I can see a visible trail of where I've been and make sure I'm not diverging too much from my circle. If something physically stops me from moving, I can't talk anymore. It's a little irritating, but I'm sure it must be good exercise.

With pickles, I have to hollow them out with my teeth before eating the skin. If I have to eat them in a hurry without scraping out the insides, it makes me uncomfortable for a couple hours.

Oh, and I have a system for the numbers on digital clocks. Repeated digits are lucky: 1:11, 2:22, etc. The luckiest time is 11:11, as it has the most repeated digits; 11:11 and 11 seconds is even better, but if I see that, I have to keep looking at the clock until 11:12, and then shut my eyes until 11:13, or the good luck will turn into bad. 11:34 is also exceedingly unlucky, and if I see that, I have to keep at least one eye on it until 11:35 or the bad luck will stick to me. Mostly, this means I try very hard not to look at the dashboard clock while I'm driving.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hell I go to the movies by myself.* You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

*it's usually a limited (read: "artsy") flick that others aren't interested in seeing.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When going alone I go to the furthest theater I can so I'm less likely to run into someone I know.

Hoz on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yeah, I don't like going to a sit-down restaurant by myself either. It's very boring, unless you bring a book or something, and a little awkward.

But I absolutely have to sit with my back to the wall. I don't necessarily have to have line-of-sight on the front door, but that is good also. I also don't like being seated next to a busing-station, or have line-of-sight on cash registers. Basically I'm very very very picky about where I'm seated in a restaurant, and 3 out of 5 times, I won't be happy with my table.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Antishow wrote: »
    Plus it's hard to reach a urinal lever with my foot.

Hard, but not impossible.

edit: yeah... I hate going to sit-down restaurants by myself. It doesn't happen very often, but I decided a while back that I'd much rather eat a decent meal and feel uncomfortable than get shitty fast food. The bussing station thing actually doesn't bother me that much. I love seeing what happens behind the scenes, and that's actually sort of a distraction from the normal "at a restaurant by myself... how much do I suck?" train of thought.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Re: public bathrooms -- I never make direct contact with anything beyond the door handle if I can help it (which is why I like those bathrooms that have a little U-bend doorway instead of a door, so I don't even have to touch the door). I walk in, grab a piece of paper towel, use that to protect my hand as I go in and close the stall door, use the wax seat covers if available, cover the seat with at least 3 thicknesses of toilet paper if not, then use more toilet paper when I need to flush and open the door. Then I take some more toilet paper and use that to turn on the faucet, wash my hands, get some more paper towels, and use that to dry my hands and also to open the door on the way out.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheFishTheFish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    whenever I clip my toenails, I'm compelled to take the clippings and chew on them.

I do this too, except that I first arrange them in size order and eat the smallest first.

I don't like mirrors at night-time.

We have a big mirror ar the bottom of the stairs. I always look away or shut my eyes when walking past it in the dark. I have the vague feeling that if I look into it I'm not going to see what I should, and that creeps the hell out of me.

I also have a weird thing about plastic. Not all plastic, just some random items. I absolutely cannot eat with plastic utensils or from plastic plates or bowls. I've had this for as long as I can remember. I had a toy wheelbarrow when I was about 3 and I used to wear gloves because I didn't like the feel of it. I'm fine with probably 90% of things, but the other 10% gives me the shivers.

The sight of yoghurt and especially people eating it makes me gag.

TheFish on
  • Options
    Dead China DollDead China Doll Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a habit of going up to complete strangers and starting conversations. It often freaks them out in the first two minutes, then I worm my way into their securities until they relax and just take it as a good talk.

My imagination also tends to run like Zach Braff ala Scrubs. Often people will talk to me, and I'll stare into space with a weird smile as I think about chickens dancing with the muppets.

Dead China Doll on
    thechicken.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Apparently I'm the only one not terrified of public washrooms.

Also: when alone, I work on terms of efficiency. I'd never go to a sit-down restaurant alone, because I can get a bite to eat at the pizza place in the same plaza for far less hassle. Food's food, right? I plan where I need to go when out of the house, and hit each place in order I can reach them, starting with the closest and looping around so that the last visit is also closest to home.

However, when I'm with a group of people, I'll tag along and follow the mob mentality uncomplainingly.

I also have a tendency to take free packets of sugar whenever available, then never use them. I have a big pile on my desk.

Only sugar.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Apparently I'm the only one not terrified of public washrooms.

Nope. As long as the piss on the floor isn't so deep it flows over into my shoes and there isn't too much shitty paper hanging from the ceiling then I couldn't care less. I'll even touch the doorknob on my way out.

TheFish on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    TheFish wrote: »
    I'll even touch the doorknob on my way out.

Do you wash your hands before leaving? Cuz if so, it would seem silly to undo at least part of that effort by being too lazy to grab a paper towel on your way out.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Do you wash your hands before leaving? Cuz if so, it would seem silly to undo at least part of that effort by being too lazy to grab a paper towel on your way out.

Depends on the numerical purpose of the visit and whether or not I'll be eating soon. Generally I just don't care though.

TheFish on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does anyone else not only talk TO their cat but ABOUT their cat? And not talk but scream, often in a half-made-up-cat-language? When the cat isn't even in the room?

Qingu on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Depends on the numerical purpose of the visit and whether or not I'll be eating soon. Generally I just don't care though.

I don't tend to care either, as I wash my hands before eating anyway out of habit. I'll probably touch dirtier things when I'm out and about anyway, especially as I pick up pennies from the pavement.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I SLEEP EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. 0_0

Katholic on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I sleep alone, I build a fort of pillows around myself. I don't know why. They always get knocked off during the night, and that doesn't seem to bother me, but I just can't get to sleep without something on both sides of me like that.

Murphy on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    When I sleep alone, I build a fort of pillows around myself. I don't know why. They always get knocked off during the night, and that doesn't seem to bother me, but I just can't get to sleep without something on both sides of me like that.

Hey, I do that!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I only use a person's name when addressing them if I don't really care about them or think of them as a friend. People at work, no problem, I use their names all the time, and could give two shits if I never saw them again. My loved ones, on the other hand, I almost never call by name. I use my wife's name so rarely that it feels odd, almost rude, when I do. She noticed once and I never could offer a good reason, only that it was not intentional and that it was consistant through my family and close friends.

Also, and somewhat less odd, I have sodas at almost the exact same time every day. 10:00, 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 8:00 and 11:00. The first sip of coke in the morning is wonderful and refreshing, the last is usually awful. Yet I do it every day.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I only use a person's name when addressing them if I don't really care about them or think of them as a friend. People at work, no problem, I use their names all the time, and could give two shits if I never saw them again. My loved ones, on the other hand, I almost never call by name. I use my wife's name so rarely that it feels odd, almost rude, when I do. She noticed once and I never could offer a good reason, only that it was not intentional and that it was consistant through my family and close friends.

Also, and somewhat less odd, I have sodas at almost the exact same time every day. 10:00, 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, 8:00 and 11:00. The first sip of coke in the morning is wonderful and refreshing, the last is usually awful. Yet I do it every day.

1) I'm just the opposite. I can't use nicknames, doing so makes me feel presumptuous, even if it's somebody I've known for my whole life. It's ironic, because nobody I know calls me by my real name, they just refer to me as "Hippie" or "Dirty Hippie." I'm really neither, but whatever.

2) That sounds really unhealthy.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When I was younger I used to have to eat M&Ms one by one, saying the colour out loud before eating each one.

I eventually stopped eating M&Ms altogether because it bothered me so much having to do this.

Thank god I got over it.

Snork on