Options

So you thought you were the only one?

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I feel like I have to explain everything that I do, to imagined versions of people I know. I explain why I like certain songs to my parents, I explain books to my friends, the path that I've picked to walk home by, TV shows, etc. Sometimes I do this so much that I don't even notice the book, show, whatever, and an hour later I'll realise that I've been turning pages without looking at them, and now I have to try to find the point I was up to before I started explaining it.

I also have two different games that I used to play as a kid, but I can't get out of the habit now. When I'm in a car, the markings on the road are a complicated pattern that tells me which side of the road the car needs to be on. Any shadows on the road need to be jumped over, reflector posts need to be shot before the car passes them, and the car needs to jump whenever it goes past a driveway. All this means that I really struggle to relax in a car, because I've got so many things to think about, or the car will somehow be destroyed. The other game is for inside: I count 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 as I walk. The left foot is always the 1 and 3, right is 2 and 4. There are more complicated rules, that I'll spare you from. Basically, the point of the game is that I can't step a 1 in line with a door, or while looking at a window. Even though I try not to play these games any more, I still always count while I walk, and I unconsciously check the lines of all doors in a room, noticing the big patches of the room that I can't step on.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In art class while in grade school- fourth grade or so, I think- I had a thought: What if everyone saw different colors than me? Like, what I see as red looks like blue to another guy, and my green is his purple, or whatever. There'd be no way to tell, because what everyone saw would just look normal to oneself, and there's no real way to describe colors other than relative to each other and to objects that are that color.

The point is, years later it came up in conversation, and my older brother had had the exact same thought. It blew me away at the time, but I've pretty sure I've heard other people talk about it since then as well.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »
    In art class while in grade school- fourth grade or so, I think- I had a thought: What if everyone saw different colors than me? Like, what I see as red looks like blue to another guy, and my green is his purple, or whatever. There'd be no way to tell, because what everyone saw would just look normal to oneself, and there's no real way to describe colors other than relative to each other and to objects that are that color.

The point is, years later it came up in conversation, and my older brother had had the exact same thought. It blew me away at the time, but I've pretty sure I've heard other people talk about it since then as well.

Its actually a pretty common thought. Speaking of which, people don't see the actual color of an object and in fact see its inverse.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »

Its actually a pretty common thought. Speaking of which, people don't see the actual color of an object and in fact see its inverse.

That fucking blew my mind the first time I heard it.

But yeah, Platonic theory. You got beat'd by a millennia or two.

Snork on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I feel like I have to explain everything that I do, to imagined versions of people I know. I explain why I like certain songs to my parents, I explain books to my friends, the path that I've picked to walk home by, TV shows, etc. Sometimes I do this so much that I don't even notice the book, show, whatever, and an hour later I'll realise that I've been turning pages without looking at them, and now I have to try to find the point I was up to before I started explaining it.
    I do this with people I know but I sometimes also imagine I'm on a talk show being interviewed. I guess it's a little self-centered to imagine yourself talking about the salad you're eating with Jon Stewart.

Hoz on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    I do this with people I know but I sometimes also imagine I'm on a talk show being interviewed. I guess it's a little self-centered to imagine yourself talking about the salad you're eating with Jon Stewart.

The man has a long and immense fascination with salads and various people's tastes in salads.

I myself prefer a basic one, with just greens, crutons and ranch dressing. It's hardly the healthiest salad in the world, but it works.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    I myself prefer a basic one, with just greens, crutons and ranch dressing. It's hardly the healthiest salad in the world, but it works.
    Whoah there, buddy. Save it for the little Jon Stewart in your head.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Whoah there, buddy. Save it for the little Jon Stewart in your head.

:( He's on vacation. And tiny George Carlin isn't interested.

yalborap on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited September 2007
    Since I was a young kid I've had the same pillows (for my bed), only now they are both covered by several zippered cloth covers. This is because ever since I was a kid, I've always torn apart the material inside the pillows with my fingers.. like, I'll roll the stuffing around in my fingers and making any of the bigger pieces smaller. It's hard to explain.

If one of the pillows is near me (like I'm when I'm on the computer in my room and my bed is behind me) I almost always grab one without even realizing it and just going to town on the damn thing. The reason why I have multiple zippered covers over each one is because I end up wearing them out and then the yellow stuffing (likely what the pillow was initially made of-- only as one big piece) gets out everywhere. I always figured it was like a zen sort of thing.. it really helps calm me down, allow me to focus, or just make me feel instantly better.

I'll keep those pillows till the day I die..

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Murphy wrote: »
    When I sleep alone, I build a fort of pillows around myself. I don't know why. They always get knocked off during the night, and that doesn't seem to bother me, but I just can't get to sleep without something on both sides of me like that.

Hey, I do that!

Did you used to sleep in your parents' bed?

devoir on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like all numbers (TV volume etc) to be multiples of 2, or preferably 4. If they can powers of 2, I'm really happy.

When I hear a phrase, I check whether the number of letters is divisible by four, and will amend the phrase in my head until it does.

I often forget that I've shampooed my hair and have to do it again. I also return to my house to check whether I've locked the front door two or three times on an absent-minded day.

In less nice news, I often wake up shouting or screaming. One time I woke the neighbours up because I was shouting 'I'm gonna fucking kill you!' at a burglar I was dreaming about.

(also my wife just looked over my shoulder and said I can't handle being ignored or misunderstood. I seem to be nuts, ahwellnevermind)

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    When I'm at a restaurant by myself, I always try to sit with my back to the wall. Because... you know.... ninjas.

I do that as well. The closest thing I ever had to an anxiety attack was when I was in a restaurant sitting in a place that required the entire wait staff to walk directly behind me approximately every five seconds.

I like to be able to watch the entrance/exits too.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I also have two different games that I used to play as a kid, but I can't get out of the habit now. When I'm in a car, the markings on the road are a complicated pattern that tells me which side of the road the car needs to be on. Any shadows on the road need to be jumped over, reflector posts need to be shot before the car passes them, and the car needs to jump whenever it goes past a driveway. All this means that I really struggle to relax in a car, because I've got so many things to think about, or the car will somehow be destroyed. The other game is for inside: I count 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 as I walk. The left foot is always the 1 and 3, right is 2 and 4. There are more complicated rules, that I'll spare you from. Basically, the point of the game is that I can't step a 1 in line with a door, or while looking at a window. Even though I try not to play these games any more, I still always count while I walk, and I unconsciously check the lines of all doors in a room, noticing the big patches of the room that I can't step on.

I just noticed this quote - I do these too (sometimes I have to imagine someone from the past or a very foreign place so I can explain normal stuff to them) and I also automatically don't walk on the cracks in the pavement. After decades of doing it, this takes no special effort at all.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    Murphy wrote: »
    When I sleep alone, I build a fort of pillows around myself. I don't know why. They always get knocked off during the night, and that doesn't seem to bother me, but I just can't get to sleep without something on both sides of me like that.

Hey, I do that!

Did you used to sleep in your parents' bed?

nah. well, infrequently, i have vague memories of the occasional nightmare. Interesting theory, but I think people are capable of developing a preference for... I dunno, security? on their own. God knows I can't actually sleep cuddled up to another person.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only reason I asked was it sounds similar to how a lot of dogs have the behaviour of circling before they lie down to sleep. That was theorised to be caused by thousands of years of dogs and their ancestors having to flatten down grass, reeds, etc to sleep in. Possible that yours isn't a directly induced behaviour, but an inherited one, although that starts treading on the issue of genetic memory and whatnot.

devoir on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Merovingi wrote: »
    Since I was a young kid I've had the same pillows (for my bed), only now they are both covered by several zippered cloth covers. This is because ever since I was a kid, I've always torn apart the material inside the pillows with my fingers.. like, I'll roll the stuffing around in my fingers and making any of the bigger pieces smaller. It's hard to explain.

When I was little, I used to poke holes in the comforter with my finger (like in the seam) and play with the cotton inside as I fall asleep. My mom used to tell me to stop, because I keep making the holes larger, and then she'd have to sew them back up.

And re: explaining things. Once I overheard a conversation between a guy and his kid, where his kid was asking why the sky was blue or something, and the guy couldn't answer it. So for a while after that, I would periodically imagine how I would explain certain things to a kid. Like if I'm riding in the car, I would imagine how I would explain why you need to wear seat belts to a kid.

As for the dogs circling thing, cats do it too. It may be related to ancestral behavior, but I think there actually is an immediate effect, which is that their paws are kneading the surface to... I dunno, soften it up or something.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2007
    Not really. I mean, we define a "red" thing as "something that reflects red light and absorbs other frequencies of light".

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I eat my hamburgers upside-down. I mean really, why put the flimsy part of the bun on the bottom? That's just asking for trouble.

Specularity on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I eat my hamburgers upside-down. I mean really, why put the flimsy part of the bun on the bottom? That's just asking for trouble.

I normally can't stand doing this, but I accidentally did this today and it wasn't too bad.

But I never put hamburgers down after I start to eat them, because that is DEFINITELY asking for trouble.

Snork on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    The only reason I asked was it sounds similar to how a lot of dogs have the behaviour of circling before they lie down to sleep. That was theorised to be caused by thousands of years of dogs and their ancestors having to flatten down grass, reeds, etc to sleep in. Possible that yours isn't a directly induced behaviour, but an inherited one, although that starts treading on the issue of genetic memory and whatnot.

It kinda sounds like a general nesting instinct to me. Monkeys make nests.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    But I never put hamburgers down after I start to eat them, because that is DEFINITELY asking for trouble.

Me neither. I also like having all the layers aligned, for even distribution of flavor, but I know that's not unique, because my boyfriend is the same way.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    marco0009marco0009 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I arrange mechanical pencils so that they all are parallel to the straight edge of the desk they are on top of, in order by color. When I was a kid I was neurotic about arranging the life savers candies at the checkout line so that they all faced the same direction (now I do speedy checkout whenever possible and NEVER look at the candy).

marco0009 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    marco0009 wrote: »
    I arrange mechanical pencils so that they all are parallel to the straight edge of the desk they are on top of, in order by color. When I was a kid I was neurotic about arranging the life savers candies at the checkout line so that they all faced the same direction (now I do speedy checkout whenever possible and NEVER look at the candy).

Actually, I rearrange store displays too. I actually saw another woman at Borders doing the same thing while we were waiting for Book 7.

Does anyone else watch movies on TV that they own on DVD? I actually sort of "prefer" watching movies on TV, even though it makes no sense cuz of the stupid edits and commercial breaks.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    marco0009marco0009 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does anyone else watch movies on TV that they own on DVD? I actually sort of "prefer" watching movies on TV, even though it makes no sense cuz of the stupid edits and commercial breaks.

Only if its a movie on one of the HD channels. I'm still waiting on the movie companies to make up their mind with which format they're going to stick with before purchasing a HD/Blueray player.

marco0009 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    marco0009 wrote: »

Actually, I rearrange store displays too. I actually saw another woman at Borders doing the same thing while we were waiting for Book 7.

No, but I do watch my backups/archives over my actual discs, despite the fact that my DVD rips are of lower quality than the disc(I do 1000 kbps 2-pass encodes, so it doesn't show up much) and lack the audio commentary.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am pretty much compelled to sing in the shower. Like, I can stop myself doing it, but as soon as I stop concentrating, I find that I have started again. It's not really annoying, but it's a bit embarrassing if there are people around or in nearby rooms.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I leave all my clothes lying on the floor and I never make my bed.

I bet nobody else can relate.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I leave all my clothes lying on the floor and I never make my bed.

I bet nobody else can relate.

nope, nobody

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In the summer, I like to make my bed, then just sleep on top of it, all summer, never having to re-make it. I get pissed if someone messes it up.

Also, whenever I feel something on my fingertip (like if I use my thumbnail to brush the tip of my index finger) I am strongly compelled to do it to all of my fingers. On both hands. Sometimes I'll have to get the entire length of the finger, and the sides.

I also have a tough time resisting the urge to play with tape. I'll roll it between my fingers and such (evenly across each finger, of course), and that's not to abnormal, but I also put it on my lips and roll it back and forth. That sounds creepier in writing than it really is.

My family attributes the tape one to my grandpa thinking it was funny to stick little pieces of tape all over my face when I was a baby.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Taximes wrote: »
    In the summer, I like to make my bed, then just sleep on top of it, all summer, never having to re-make it. I get pissed if someone messes it up.

Also, whenever I feel something on my fingertip (like if I use my thumbnail to brush the tip of my index finger) I am strongly compelled to do it to all of my fingers. On both hands. Sometimes I'll have to get the entire length of the finger, and the sides.

I also have a tough time resisting the urge to play with tape. I'll roll it between my fingers and such (evenly across each finger, of course), and that's not to abnormal, but I also put it on my lips and roll it back and forth. That sounds creepier in writing than it really is.

My family attributes the tape one to my grandpa thinking it was funny to stick little pieces of tape all over my face when I was a baby.

:^:
    Awesome grandfather :)

Your bed thing reminds me of when I used to shower and get dressed... the night before school. Then I'd sleep in my school clothes so that I can literally roll out of bed in the morning and go straight to school (ok, I'd brush my teeth first). I did that for a while because I hate getting up in the mornings, so I was trying to do as much as I can the night before so I can get up a little later. It made a lot of sense at the time, and I don't know why I stopped doing it...

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Because only hobos sleep in clothes they plan on wearing the next day?

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Because only hobos sleep in clothes they plan on wearing the next day?

I sometimes wear the jeans I slept in the next day.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can't sleep in clothes. I either sleep in boxer shorts or just plain neked.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's the other thing. I can't sleep naked, and prefer to have on enough clothes that I could just slip on my Osirises if I needed to go outside immediately upon waking up. See, I slept in my underwear until a tornado blew down my house in high school. So jeans and a t-shirt + underwear is like minimum sleepwear.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yeah, I too prefer watching movies on TV rather than from DVD. It somehow feels more "authentic".

I have to have my feet covered when I'm in bed or the vampires will get me. I just can't relax at all if my feet are not covered.

reVerse on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, I too prefer watching movies on TV rather than from DVD. It somehow feels more "authentic".

Actually I'm a bit like this with listening to the radio vs. CDs or MP3s.

Barring the fact that they never really play anything I like on the radio, there's something about listening to it that makes me feel, I dunno, more connected with things. Other people are listening to the same station at the same time as me, you know, and I kinda feel like I'm part of something. Listening to a CD is very encapsulated.

It's strange.

W2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I have to have my feet covered when I'm in bed or the vampires will get me. I just can't relax at all if my feet are not covered.

See, I'm the exact opposite. I need at least one foot uncovered. I do it to stay cool, though. If I don't keep at least one foot uncovered, I get uncomfortably hot.

yalborap on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't bite my nails and I don't clip them. I rip them off. Especially when I'm stressed out.

I also fairly constantly push up on my nasal septum, kind of cracking it, to relieve stress.

Also, when I'm nervous beads of sweat form on my nose. I get made fun of for it a lot on first dates :P

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Me too! When I was little, someone told me the scissor-monster would cut off my toes if I slept with them outside the covers, and now I can't get to sleep with my feet out.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I'm ever having trouble sleeping, I'll flip over my pillow, just to get the cold side.

Weird but true...

Sceptre on