As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Gaming Rig Died!

RagedGamerRagedGamer Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I could really use a bit of advice here.

So I have a second computer to use just for gaming, but it just died. For a while, it was making a high pitched buzz. I thought one of the fans was dusty, so I left it be for then. The buzzing kept up, but I became a new father so I didn't boot it up much at all, and now, tonight, when I booted it up, it starts, it beeps, the buzz is back, and then it turns itself off. I thought, oh no, it crashed! And I reboot, but then it beeps, and restarts, beeps, restarts. I flicked the power button in the back to turn it off.

What on earth is going on? Is it over-heating? Any advice would be really appreciated, I kind of don't know what I'm doing. Thanks guys!

RagedGamer on

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If the beeps you are talking about are POST then you should record the sequence and look up the correlating problem.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I can't get in, it doesn't let me. It never gets windows up before it restarts. Should I clean it out inside, let it sit, and then try again in case it is just overheating from clogged fans?

RagedGamer on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Did you even read his post? What do the beeps sound like?

Open the case and try to start it up, are the fans spinning?

Doc on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Very specifically, what happens after the post screen. Does it go into the text where it takes inventory of your hardware and then reboot with no warning? Are you getting a split-second BSOD before the reboot? Does it reboot directly from the post screen?

edit: Is the BEEP you mention your motherboard POSTing? the screen with your motherboard branding on it?

It's probably not overheating if it crashes before it even gets into windows.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No, the Power On Self-Test operates independently of the OS and you will only hear the beeps if there is a problem during the boot process. If your computer is beeping and that's it, then POST is telling you that there is a problem and where the problem is (incompatible ram, bad HD etc.).

Like I said, try to record the sequence of beeps and compare them with a chart on the internet on your mobo manufacturer's website.

Other then that you can open up your case, reseat your RAM, check all of your connections, check for blown capacitors, and dust everything with compressed air (be careful dusting), just make sure that you're touching the case regularly to keep yourself grounded.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Clean all the fans and stuff out. The buzzing has to be coming from somewhere; open the case and figure it out.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So it powers on, the fans go on, then it powers off and goes, "beeeeeep beep beep beep beep." and restarts, repeating the process.

RagedGamer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    RagedGamer wrote: »
    So it powers on, the fans go on, then it powers off and goes, "beeeeeep beep beep beep beep." and restarts, repeating the process.

Is anything happening on the screen?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    None, no screen whatsoever.

RagedGamer on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    What's the make and model of the motherboard?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    At this point I would do as Uncle Long suggestion and crack open the case to look for signs of blown capacitors or other bad motherboard components, loose RAM, et cetera.

Also yes, what kind of MOBO is it.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Embarassingly enough, I don't know how to check... =(. I hope you guys still love me.

RagedGamer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If I'm reading your post correctly you're telling us that you have one long beep followed by three short beeps. Since I don't know what BIOS you are running you either have an "conventional/extended memory error" (AMI and Award BIOS), or a "Video (EGA) Display Circuitry" Error (IBM). Either way try to reseat your RAM. If that doesn't do the trick then try running with one stick in the first slot and then try the other one if that doesn't work.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Is it a prebuilt brand name computer? If so, do you know the model?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It was a custom built one that I bought out of a software hardware store. But I think I will bring it into the office where I work and reset the ram there, cleaning out the fans first. Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it. I knew I could turn here for help =).

RagedGamer on