As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

001rn4.jpg

STAR WARS

Knights of the Old Republic

Four thousand years before
the rise of the Galactic
Empire, the Republic verges
on collapse.
DARTH MALAK,
last surviving apprentice of
the Dark Lord Revan, has
unleashed an invincible
Sith armada upon an
unsuspecting galaxy.

Crushing all resistance,
Malak's war of conquest
has left the Jedi Order
scattered and vulnerable
as countless Knights fall in
battle, and many more
swear allegiance to the new
Sith Master.

In the skies above the Outer
Rim world of Taris, a Jedi
battle fleet engages the
forces of Darth Malak in a
desperate effort to halt the
Sith's galactic domination...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was a failure as a Star Wars product. The game was so good that any fondness one might have for the movies was replaced by fondness for this game. The very existence of this game probably caused a drop in sales for any other Star Wars merchandise because, really, after playing this game who could possibly care about Luke action figures or books about Han's kids?

With this Let's Play thread I hope to share the joy of this rather fun game. It should be noted that the tools I have to work with at the moment are somewhat primitive and that absolutely no planning has gone into this. So, basically, I have no clue how this is all going to work out. Not that I'm going to let a minor thing like that stop me.

In any case, on to the game!

The Endar Spire

002bc9.jpg
The story begins with my character, the Scoundrel Sera Khaar, asleep in her quarters. Because it wouldn't be an RPG if the main character wasn't sleeping at the start of the game, now would it?

However, considering the ship is under heavy attack by scores of Sith fighters, I soon wake up. To make matters even worse, some guy barges into my room while I'm still in my underwear.

003nf5.jpg
Meet Trask 'Exposition Fairy' Ulgo. He has a very annoying voice.

Trask explains to me that the ship, the Endar Spire, is under attack by Sith forces and we're supposed to go and help commanding-officer-but-not-really Bastila with fending off the assault.

However, before we can do that, Trask feels it's very important to tell me who I am first.
004br8.jpg
005sz3.jpg
I don't know why he felt the need to tell me this, though. It's not like I don't know who I am.

In any case, shortly after getting dressed, getting a weapon and rushing out the room we're contacted by a Republican soldier informing us that the Sith have boarded the ship and everyone has to get the bridge ASAP.

Faced with this dire news, Trask can't resist the opportunity to give me some irrelevant information about the guy who just contacted us.
006fx2.jpg

Making our way towards the bridge, we soon come across a firefight between Sith and Republican soldiers.
007aq4.jpg
Obviously, Trask and I do absolutely nothing until the Sith have gunned down the Republican. Only then do we actually engage the Sith in battle.

After beating the Sith, we keep going further, battling more Sith on the way until we come across a Jedi fighting a Dark Jedi. Do we rush in to help her, you may ask?
008zk8.jpg
Of course we don't.
009jm1.jpg
The Jedi is victorious, but shortly after her victory a sudden explosion kills her as well.

Finally arriving at the bridge, Trask and I find it empty. That is to say, Bastila and Carth are nowhere to be found, but there are a bunch of Sith waiting for us. So, basically, this whole trip was a huge waste of time.
010hw3.jpg
On the up side, the bridge does provide a nice view of the planet our ship is hurtling towards at high speed.

Considering the ship is doomed, the decision is quickly made to head for the escape pods. However, we've barely set foot outside the bridge when some serious trouble pops up.
011me4.jpg
Trask decides to sacrifise himself just buy a bit of time for me, a smuggler. How noble of him.

On my way to the escape pods, fighting a few Sith stragglers, I soon run across a security console and decide to use the ship's security cameras to check out what's coming up ahead.
012cs1.jpg
That's bad. Five Sith soldiers against little old me? But wait!
013qj0.jpg
What does this button do?
014id3.jpg
Problem solved.

And so I reach the escape pods, where I meet Carth. He informs me that Bastila's already escaped, the ship is doomed and we're the last two survivors. I am then faced with a decision.
015mf5.jpg
Oh, tough one.

I choose to live and hop into the escape pod. Shortly after it's launched, the Endar Spire explodes. The pod, on the other hand, safely reaches the planet surface, crashing into a large city.

And so the adventure begins...

WotanAnubis on

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    goddamit will people stop doing lets play threads. each one is so awesome i crave to reinstall said game and play it. I HAVENT GOT ENOUGH TIME IN MY LIFE FOR ALL THIS AWESOME STUFF

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    goddamit will people stop doing lets play threads. each one is so awesome i crave to reinstall said game and play it. I HAVENT GOT ENOUGH TIME IN MY LIFE FOR ALL THIS AWESOME STUFF
    I think the big problem here is that people are somewhat reluctant to make this kind of thread about games that consist of nothing but utter suck.

It's only a hunch, though. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I dunno. Im reinstalling kotor right now but trudging through a really godawful game is also funny. think broken pixels only longer.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    am I better off playing this on PC or Xbox if my PC is decent-ish spec?

LewieP on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I think the big problem here is that people are somewhat reluctant to make this kind of thread about games that consist of nothing but utter suck.

It's only a hunch, though. :P
    Honestly, even those can be entertaining.

I mean, I once read an awesome playthrough of Ultima IX.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Honestly, even those can be entertaining.

I mean, I once read an awesome playthrough of Ultima IX.
    Entertaining to read, I have no doubt.

Entertaining to create? Well, it's possible, I suppose, but I think I lack the needed masochism. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gah, that final screenshot brought all my suppressed hatred for Carth rushing to the surface! Most annoying character ever. But awesome game ;-)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    oh cmon carth is awesome. i hated jolee. whiny motherfucker.

'yeah, you know what, im the fucking sith lord here so shut your fucking mouth old man'

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "Explanation: It's just that... you have all these squishy parts, master. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea..."

HK-47 - <3

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Moar like Knights of the Loading Republic, amirite?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    HK-47 - <3
    I'm sinking points into my Repair skills for that very reason. ;-)

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ooh... KOTOR. The bane of my weekends a few years back.
    HK-47 and eb0l Sith Lord with force storm FTW!

Also: HK-47:

HK-47: Explanation: It's just that... you have all these squisy parts, master. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea...
    Me: Neither do I, come to think of it...
    HK-47: Statement: Now do you understand the travails of my existence, master? Surely it does not compare to your existence, but still...
    Me: I survive. Somehow.
    HK-47: Commentary: As do I. It is our lot in life, I suppose, master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

Any conversation with HK-47 is pure gold.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I actually recently re-installed this on my PC with a mod that makes you a Jedi from the beginning. The author edited the cut scenes a bit at the beginning to "try" and explain it, but really, it's just fun to go into the Arena with a lightsaber and force jump right off the bat.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    am I better off playing this on PC or Xbox if my PC is decent-ish spec?

I'd say PC. There was an extra space station added in where you could make a couple of extra modifications to your lightsabre IIRC (although I think it was mainly generic).

Also, mods.

Personally I played for a bit but couldn't get into the game. A lot of it just felt so shallow (the Jedi training and the Jedi Council felt particularly lacklustre). Maybe some other time for me.

subedii on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, Wotan, have you decided to go light/dark?

I almost always went dark, the evil powers are just so much more fun. If the choice comes down to "I can run real fast, for a bit" or "I can turn you into a smoking pile of ash"... well, it just wasn't a choice.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    see317 wrote: »

I almost always went dark, the evil powers are just so much more fun. If the choice comes down to "I can run real fast, for a bit" or "I can turn you into a smoking pile of ash"... well, it just wasn't a choice.

That's another thing that irritated me actually. Force powers shouldn't be light / dark like that. The Force powers themselves are tools, it's how you use them that's either good or evil.

subedii on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not to steal your thunder, but Scorchy is doing an awesome LP of 2 over at Something Awful.

Here

Keep up the good work.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KOTOR is one of those games that I cannot play twice. I mean. You play it for the story line and the character interaction. I feel that I got most of that the first time, and the combat and filler can't really hold me for another 20 hours.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    subedii wrote: »

That's another thing that irritated me actually. Force powers shouldn't be light / dark like that. The Force powers themselves are tools, it's how you use them that's either good or evil.
    Actually, in the latest books they de-retconned the whole "Intention makes you good or evil" thing that they built up over the whole Yuuzhan Vong war. Now, evil powers are evil. Except for Jacen.
    But he's gone sith anyway, so he may not be the best judge of morality anymore.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I haven't really decided yet.

I'm inclined towards the Light Side. So much so, in fact, that I've never actually played Dark Side yet.

So if left on my own, it's gonna be a Light Side playthrough. But, on the other hand, if people really want to see a Dark Side playthrough I can probably be persuaded.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

How can you use force lightning for good? O_o

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

jump starting peoples cars? errr.pod racers?

wotan, sometimes its good to be bad..and by sometimes i mean all the time, and this is one of those times

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited September 2007

A convenient and totally inaccurate star wars videogame loophole.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I haven't really decided yet.

I'm inclined towards the Light Side. So much so, in fact, that I've never actually played Dark Side yet.

So if left on my own, it's gonna be a Light Side playthrough. But, on the other hand, if people really want to see a Dark Side playthrough I can probably be persuaded.
    If we're voting, my vote goes for force dickery each and every time. But then, I do love me some darkside scoundrel/consulars. Of course, it's your game. If I want my daily dosage of force dickery I've got the game.

see317 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Kill a beast that is running after an innocent person? Use the lightning to start a campfire?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Kill a beast that is running after an innocent person? Use the lightning to start a campfire?
    You can also kill a beast by Force Throwing it. Into a canyon.

And you can probably use your lightsaber to start the campfire.

Now, powering up a deactivated droid is a bit trickier.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To demonstrate the power of the Light side of the Force to doubters.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Or, you know, use it to kill a bad person. That's the nice thing about Star Wars. Morality generally lacks anything resembling a shade of grey. The badguys are the gibbering idiots trying to kill you with fire, the good guys are the gibbering idiots not trying to kill you with fire.

see317 on
  • Options
    DemicoreDemicore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd rather see you go Dark but that's only because I went Light in my sole playthrough! (didn't have the courage to go through all the tediously easy battles again to see the dark side dialogues, still a great game though)

Demicore on
    There's nothing I love more than male nipples in Starcraft, the two go together so well. - Tasteless
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The idea of not using dark side powers is that they take a toll on your mind in body every time you use them.

This is left out of most Star Wars games because force lightning is cool.

However, when created a truly balanced environment, using undeniably cool/more powerful abilities must come with some consequence other than a moral slap on the wrist.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was just telling my friend, this is probably my favorite game of all time.

ever.

The sequel was just as good or better.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

If it's just an electrostatic discharge it could be used for re-charging batteries and powering equipment for example. Or roasting the odd space turkey.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Or, you know, use it to kill a bad person. That's the nice thing about Star Wars. Morality generally lacks anything resembling a shade of grey. The badguys are the gibbering idiots trying to kill you with fire, the good guys are the gibbering idiots not trying to kill you with fire.

I suppose that's true in a way. It's part of the charm of the setting that's it's usually good guys (we root for them) vs. bad guys (boo hiss).

I maintain that I really like the setting and the universe except for the movies (well, maybe excepting the first trilogy, Episodes V and VI to be specific). Does that make me weird?

subedii on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you've never played a dark side run-though, you should go evil! It'll be a new experience for you as well.

Plus:
    [Insert Lightsaber]

is the best option ever.

In regards to the whole light/dark force powers, I really liked the explanation that the Force itself is neutral, and that it's your emotions that shifted it light or dark. But apparently, no, they're sticking with that stupid black/white split between things, so that Force Lighting is inherently evil. I guess that makes the sky evil, since it tends to lightning a bunch when it gets rainy.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've only played this game about 8,000 times. Mass Effect cannot come soon enough.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've only played this game about 8,000 times. Mass Effect cannot come soon enough.
    I've never played this game before, never.

But Mass Effect still cannot come soon enough, your pain must be enormous.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In case anyone's interested, for the sake of Getting Started On The Next Part, I've decided to go Light Side on the opening planet.

Once I reach the next planet, I might shift to the Dark Side. Or stick with the Light Side. We'll see.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like a good balance of fun.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've always wanted to do a run through where-in I go light side up until the plot twist, then pure un-relenting darkside. Damn it I'm starting up again right now.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The best planet by far to go Dark Side on is the Jedi training planet. It has the one and only quest where I can honestly say the main character does something truely evil and not just dickish.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576