Options

System Shock *ONE*... Worth a LttP?

2»

• Options
    mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    hambone wrote: »
    You also need to have a real beast of a system to get SS1 working smoothly at the highest graphics settings (640x480 I think) in DosBox.

Quad-core 64bit machine with SLi, 2x1TB RAID0 and 4GB DDR2... I was assuming that I'd need DOSbox.
    mirarant wrote: »
    SS1 is truly a great game and I'm not just being nostalgic ;-)

There is a portable version of SS1 that works in XP but linking that would probably be ban worthy.

"Portable" as in "Thumb Drive Portable?" I assume that it includes DOSbox?

Yeah you can put it on a USB drive and no it doesn't use DOSBox at least at a quick glance at the notes.

mirarant on
  • Options
    DiscoalucardXDiscoalucardX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In order to really enjoy System Shock, you can't really play it as a first person shooter. Think of it as more like a first person dungeon crawling RPG, except with a fully realized world instead of repetitive corridors. The action elements are admittedly kinda terrible and were pretty poor even back in 94, but the level design was pretty incredible for the time. Just turn off (or lower) the action elements and play it as an adventure game for maximum fun.

Plus it has Wing Commander 0, one of the best game-within-a-game I've ever played.

DiscoalucardX on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow. There's actually a paper inside the box offering me a $10 upgrade to the CD-ROM version and a $20 upgrade to the Enhanced CD-ROM version if I send in Floppy #1. I wonder if that offer still stands! ;)

Edit: Telephone number doesn't work. It actually instructs you to send it in with a check without calling. That'll probably never get there and, even if it does, someone would probably throw it away (not knowing what to do with it) anyway. Good-bye disk 1!

CZroe on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Davoid wrote: »
    It's the concept of the games, especially in SS1, that creeps me out. Human mutation and experimental testing, yadda yadda. Although, a mutagenic virus? That just doesn't make sense.

How does that make any less sense than the rest of the game?

I can retain a suspension of disbelief regarding pretty much everything else, it's the future and what not, but I can't imagine a virus that causes mutation, considering how they function.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's the concept of the games, especially in SS1, that creeps me out. Human mutation and experimental testing, yadda yadda. Although, a mutagenic virus? That just doesn't make sense.

I can retain a suspension of disbelief regarding pretty much everything else, it's the future and what not, but I can't imagine a virus that causes mutation, considering how they function.

Maybe your biology just really sucks. I mean afterall viruses can integrate their DNA into a hosts genome, are used to deliver synthetic genes as part of gene therapy and are responsible for many straings of bacteria aquring pathogenicity by gene transfer.

Rook on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    As with the SS2 thread, I'm alowing discussion of this series as abandonware. Links to downloads must be cleared through a mod.

This one, for System Shock Portable, gets my thumbs up:
    http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,211.0.html

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    As with the SS2 thread, I'm alowing discussion of this series as abandonware. Links to downloads must be cleared through a mod.

This one, for System Shock Portable, gets my thumbs up:
    http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,211.0.html

Awesome. Too bad it doesn't work on Vista. That's reason enough for a SS Portable DOSbox Edition IMO. I'm using VUx64 and I doubt 16bit code even can run natively.

CZroe on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007

This to you is less plausible than the breaking of several basic laws of thermodynamics?

Tube on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To me, the least plausible thing about SS1 (the wacky Sol -> Tau Ceti physics in SS2 aside) was the way that SHODAN would go on about devastating the Earth when Citadel Station was supposedly in Saturn orbit. The idea of their research laser zapping Earth's major cities was weird, and it just got nuttier from there.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Got it up and running... like woah games before WASD... the whole ASDX/ZC/RFV thing they have going on here is wonky as hell.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    haha.
    dfss6.gif

wow.

You can chase after me with pitchforks and torches, but I'd rather look at that than SS2. I loathe early 3d graphics.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    You also need to have a real beast of a system to get SS1 working smoothly at the highest graphics settings (640x480 I think) in DosBox.

Which is why you don't use dosbox.

There's an XP fan patch out there that works wonders.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rook wrote: »

Maybe your biology just really sucks. I mean afterall viruses can integrate their DNA into a hosts genome, are used to deliver synthetic genes as part of gene therapy and are responsible for many straings of bacteria aquring pathogenicity by gene transfer.

Yea, but how would this hypothetical virus replicate itself? I mean, it's all well and good that the RNA is inserted into the hosts genome, but unless that RNA is specifying "divert resources to making more viruses", you're going to need to keep manufacturing these things.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2007
    And this is less realistic than the laser guns?

Tube on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yea, but how would this hypothetical virus replicate itself? I mean, it's all well and good that the RNA is inserted into the hosts genome, but unless that RNA is specifying "divert resources to making more viruses", you're going to need to keep manufacturing these things.

The same way that every other virus that integrates itself into your genome replicates itself. It happens all the time, that's not exactly a difficult process. And integration isn't limited to retroviruses, complex DNA viruses like Epstein Barr are good at it too.

I'm really not sure what you might be finding objectional to that process. Yes, the virus does indeed contain genes that help in the assembly of other virus particles. As well as other genes that subvert the immune system and other tricks.

Rook on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    great game, just shitty controls

VoodooV on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And this is less realistic than the mining laser that can destroy cities on Earth from orbit around Saturn?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    And this is less realistic than the mining laser that can destroy cities on Earth from orbit around Saturn?

Goddamnit, it was around Saturn when you arrived there. IE: SIX MONTHS BEFORE GAME EVENTS.

Spoiler'd for possible spoilers for those haven't played the game.
    SHODAN is no fool. She would have moved the station.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Raoul DukeRaoul Duke Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The funniest thing about system shock 1 is almost everytime i play a first person shooter now I want jet powered rollerblades. I almost completely forgot where I first saw them until now. I can't remember what they were calling it in the game, some kind of motion booster I think. Those were so awesome.

Raoul Duke on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And this is less realistic than the laser guns?
    They aren't thaaat far-fetched. There was a feature on them on Discovery's Channel's Futureweapons, so I guess they are plausible.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

The same way that every other virus that integrates itself into your genome replicates itself. It happens all the time, that's not exactly a difficult process. And integration isn't limited to retroviruses, complex DNA viruses like Epstein Barr are good at it too.

I'm really not sure what you might be finding objectional to that process. Yes, the virus does indeed contain genes that help in the assembly of other virus particles. As well as other genes that subvert the immune system and other tricks.

My knowledge of virology is limited as best, but as I understand it, a virus uses cells to replicate itself, in the process destroying the cell. So, if these mutagenic viruses change the genome, resulting in mutation, that's fine. Where I have problems with the way it's presented in the game though, is infecting multitudes with it. If it's just mutating people, then those affected cells survived and underwent mitosis, right? I mean, they'd have to in order to result in the mutants the game presents, otherwise it'd just destroy tissue. Yet, by merely mutating tissue, how would the virus replicate itself? The genome is altered and mutated cells result, but where do other viruses come from then? How could you infect vast mutitudes of people with a virus that does not reproduce through infection?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Lork wrote: »

Goddamnit, it was around Saturn when you arrived there. IE: SIX MONTHS BEFORE GAME EVENTS.

Spoiler'd for possible spoilers for those haven't played the game.
    SHODAN is no fool. She would have moved the station.

(snowy owl goes here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWpEtXWVP4

re: Davoid

There are such things as retroviruses that don't burst the cells that incubate them. Especially since the game is dealing with a tailored virus, I don't think this element was all that farfetched.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

My knowledge of virology is limited as best, but as I understand it, a virus uses cells to replicate itself, in the process destroying the cell. So, if these mutagenic viruses change the genome, resulting in mutation, that's fine. Where I have problems with the way it's presented in the game though, is infecting multitudes with it. If it's just mutating people, then those affected cells survived and underwent mitosis, right? I mean, they'd have to in order to result in the mutants the game presents, otherwise it'd just destroy tissue. Yet, by merely mutating tissue, how would the virus replicate itself? The genome is altered and mutated cells result, but where do other viruses come from then? How could you infect vast mutitudes of people with a virus that does not reproduce through infection?

Simply pu, you're mistaken. Some viruses do have very adverse affects on the cells they infect, but many viruses don't harm the cells (too greatly). Herpes Simplex virus lives in your nerve cells cells, although can be triggered to replicated and exit the cell, causing cold sores etc whilst the nerve cell remains as a carrier of the virus.

If you actually look at the human genome it's full of sequences called transposons which are thought to have come from viruses that have integrated into our genome, and over time lost some of their viral functions, but can still be capable of moving around in our DNA kind of like parasites.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Simply pu, you're mistaken. Some viruses do have very adverse affects on the cells they infect, but many viruses don't harm the cells (too greatly). Herpes Simplex virus lives in your nerve cells cells, although can be triggered to replicated and exit the cell, causing cold sores etc whilst the nerve cell remains as a carrier of the virus.

If you actually look at the human genome it's full of sequences called transposons which are thought to have come from viruses that have integrated into our genome, and over time lost some of their viral functions, but can still be capable of moving around in our DNA kind of like parasites.

Ok, thanks. That makes sense.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png