As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving small hard drive to a big hard drive

Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Right, a friend of mine has a 120gb hard drive, and he wants to move absolutely everything to his 480gb hard drive.

I was planning on dropping in a linux LiveCD and doing a simple 'dd bs=16M if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb conv=noerror'

and then running fdisk on the second disk to write a new parition table, so that it shows up as a 480 gb partition, and not a 120gb partition. Would this work?

I'm most worried about being able to write a valid first sector to the other machine - basically just re-writing the partition table. If fdisk won't do it, is there another program that will?

Legoman05 on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »
    Right, a friend of mine has a 120gb hard drive, and he wants to move absolutely everything to his 480gb hard drive.

I was planning on dropping in a linux LiveCD and doing a simple 'dd bs=16M if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb conv=noerror'

and then running fdisk on the second disk to write a new parition table, so that it shows up as a 480 gb partition, and not a 120gb partition. Would this work?

I'm most worried about being able to write a valid first sector to the other machine - basically just re-writing the partition table. If fdisk won't do it, is there another program that will?

Nope, that won't work, I don't think.

Is it important that the 480gb drive be bootable? If so, do the dd trick and then use ntfsresize (or gparted) to make the 120gb partition into 480gb. I don't believe that fdisk can non-destructively resize ntfs (windows) partitions. Could be wrong, though; haven't used fdisk in a while.

If not, just toss the 480gig drive into the same computer, format it, and copy everything over.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oooh, Gparted - looks like that has functionality to do the whole operation, and it comes in LiveCD.... Solved?

Legoman05 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Legoman05 wrote: »
    Oooh, Gparted - looks like that has functionality to do the whole operation, and it comes in LiveCD.... Solved?

The Gparted livecd is a wonderful tool, really.

Daedalus on