As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sega CDX and Shining Force CD

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hopefully someone will know how to do this. I'm trying to play Shining Force CD on my Sega CDX (basically a Genesis and a Sega CD in a tiny metal case). The laser was sticking. I finally got it to recognize the CD, but after it loads I get this message:

More space is needed in RAM to start game. Press reset and go to the control screen. Make 100 or more blocks available.

Unfortunately, when I press reset, the game just restarts and goes back to the same error screen. If I take the disc out, it just says "No disc". Pressing buttons on the controller doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone remember how to get this to work?

Also, I know that SF works better with the RAM cart, but it should at least run without it.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Try putting in a music CD. I seem to remember being able to access the RAM that way. It's been a while since I fired up my CDX, though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for the advice SteevL. That got me to the CD player screen. This is what I'm looking at now:
    cdx.jpg

Bring back any memories?

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, it's bringing back the memory that I realized putting in a music CD doesn't work! Heh.

OK, when you first start the system and put a game disc in, does it ask you to press start? If so, try pressing A, B, or C instead. That might work.

I loved the old version of the Sega CD, which always had a memory manager available from the GUI screen. The newer one (which is what the Sega CDX had) was a bit more annoying.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It doesn't ask me to press start. It either:

1) Goes to the Genesis game if I have a cart in the slot
    2) Starts up the CD game if I have a disk in
    3) Starts the music player if I have a music CD in
    4) Tells me there's not a disc if there's nothing in the cart slot or the cd drive

I'm going to try and pick up another game tomorrow and see if I can do anything with that. I forgot what a pain in the ass this thing is =p

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When you put in a CD, the part that says 'SEGA' should give you two more options,and I think one of those is memory.

It shouldn't start unless you press the 'start' option(which should be right above the memory one).

I don't have a CDX(I have a model 2), but it looks the same as the model 2 interface.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png