As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nay, completely solo.

You just have to find someone to buff you (Croft Lara in Holtburg is a good buff bot), and then go to the right places (Olthoi arcade etc...).

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what level is this starting at? And are bow users still possible?

Comahawk on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »

A lot of people do successful bow + life magic builds I hear.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    God damn, god damn, god damn....

I think I'm going to start playing again. Stupid AC... You guys are on Solclaim?

Comahawk on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't been able to be on in a while... my wife's become malcontent that she has no one to play WoW with since we moved, and she finally dropped the "I'd like to play with you" hint. Playing WoW is painful after spending a week in AC... it's like going from being a superhero to being Jim the Janitor, with the comparatively low amounts of loot and the fact that you can't really attack more than 1-2 units at a time before you die... if this keeps up, I'm going to try and convince her to play AC instead since her friends don't seem to be able to play WoW with her anymore anyways.

She won't like it.

I tried to get my wife to play, after introducing her to MMOs with EQ2, then WoW. She gave an absolute "no thanks."

Also, if you want to fight lots of things at once, play a prot pally/warrior. My prot pally fights 5-6 mobs at once solo. May take me a little while, but at least I feel like a bad ass.
    seabass wrote: »

A lot of people do successful bow + life magic builds I hear.

Fuck life magic. Alchemy for the win.

Also, fuck bow. ;-)
    Totally playing an xbow user right now, and I refuse to ever touch life magic.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Probably true... aye. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well, I joined, Keradil on Solclaim.

I get this odd jolt in my graphics every couple seconds of movement though, almost like lag. Anyone know how to solve this?

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I get this odd jolt in my graphics every couple seconds of movement though, almost like lag. Anyone know how to solve this?

I'll add you to my friends list.. maybe one day we'll all see each other. :P

No idea on the graphic thing though. Have you checked the official forums?

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So wow, Croft Lara wasn't around. How spoiled are we when we don't want to hunt without teh 7z?

I spent some time making some better arrowheads. I forgot how time consuming crafting is. Started with 200 quicksilver, ended up with one stack of greater blunts. Bleh. :P

Also took about 30 minutes.

My alchemy isn't high enough to use the concentrated oils yet, but it looks like the only cut out part of the process.. you still have to individually apply the oils to the arrowheads.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yuck, that's not fun. I never did do any of the professions before, I didn't realize it took that long. That sucks. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish I could remember my login, I believe I've got an awesome bow user on solclaim.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    If you can remember your username, you can recover your password!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I tried every possible username I MAY have used and combination and no dice. Then again, I had used different emails during that time, so I may be SOL.

I remember my CHARACTER name, not my USER name, hahaha.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh... is there a chance that you haven't played since before Turbine became independent (broke off of Microsoft's publishing)?

If you were, you may have lost your account to the sands of time. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh... is there a chance that you haven't played since before Turbine became independent (broke off of Microsoft's publishing)?

If you were, you may have lost your account to the sands of time. =(

My original account, since beta? Yes, that ones gone.

The one that I created after the Shadowclaim test server awesomeness? Yeah, that one's gone too.

The one that I had recently though, I don't quite remember what it was. Boo.

Did just find out that my recent character was on Leafcull and not Solclaim though, had to check my vnboards (ew) private messages.

Guess I could always start up a trial!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'll add you to my friends list.. maybe one day we'll all see each other. :P

No idea on the graphic thing though. Have you checked the official forums?

Tried them, nothing on there about it. Really wish i could get rid of this hitching.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, the trial is double-good because it's free for two weeks. =)

The bad thing is that you can't get a house until your account has been active for 15 days apparently. =( I rushed around like crazy to afford this Villa... I think I'll be able to finally get it sometime next week if it's still available. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, the trial is double-good because it's free for two weeks. =)

The bad thing is that you can't get a house until your account has been active for 15 days apparently. =( I rushed around like crazy to afford this Villa... I think I'll be able to finally get it sometime next week if it's still available. =)

Perhaps after next week, when the g/f goes home for xmas break but I am still stuck at work during the day, I shall re-visit the land of Olthoi and Lugians.

Oh the memories...

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, I'm with you on that =) God, I loved it when those Lugian Citidels first opened up... so many people went in there and they spawned so fast, I felt like we were really on the front lines of some kind of battle. I had appointed myself honorary "field medic" of the Citadel closest to Qualabar, and I brought hundreds of healing kits, stamina, mana and healing potions with me, and distributed them to people as they came in and as I ran across them while they were inside.

Man, that was so much fun. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Playing a Sword warrior who didn't have Item magic, I thought the Q'alabar Citadel was insane. I had so much trouble in there with my first character who got to the 20s. And then when I couldn't carry any more loot I would run back to town to sell and would have problems because of my speed and level. And then I would get lost trying to get back and get killed by a Mattekar.

It was great!

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LOL! I did the same thing! Woot! =)=) I loved doing SUPER loaded waddles. They were always both the most dangerous and most fun parts of the game for me. =)

I'm with you on the item magic, as well. I didn't grab item magic until I was probably level 30 or so, I didn't realize what I was missing... which may have attributed in part to the fact that it took me half an hour to kill anything as a Jitte user. =) lol

I also used to do that in the Green Mire Grave when I appointed myself the official Tour Guide. (Jesus, I appointed myself to a lot of posts in that game =) lol) I'd get loaded to 297% burden, and waddle out the door. It was a race against time if I waddled into the aggro radius of a phyntos wasp. =) lol

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LOL! I did the same thing! Woot! =)=) I loved doing SUPER loaded waddles. They were always both the most dangerous and most fun parts of the game for me. =)

I'm with you on the item magic, as well. I didn't grab item magic until I was probably level 30 or so, I didn't realize what I was missing... which may have attributed in part to the fact that it took me half an hour to kill anything as a Jitte user. =) lol

I also used to do that in the Green Mire Grave when I appointed myself the official Tour Guide. (Jesus, I appointed myself to a lot of posts in that game =) lol) I'd get loaded to 297% burden, and waddle out the door. It was a race against time if I waddled into the aggro radius of a phyntos wasp. =) lol

Speaking of wasps, I remember in beta 1 and 2, how afraid people were of wasps. Oh man, they'd be all "OH SHIT A RED WASP RUN" and get destroyed by their little flame bolt spell.

I kept telling people "if you just fight them, they won't have time to cast!" But oh no, running away and dying like a dumbass was the order of the day. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    But oh no, running away in a straight line and dying like a dumbass was the order of the day. :P

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm actually quite enjoying this now... Wish i had more people to play with though, otherwise running around is pretty fun.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hopped on the 14 day trial and updating the client now. I've never played AC before. How intense is the learning curve on this game?

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hopped on the 14 day trial and updating the client now. I've never played AC before. How intense is the learning curve on this game?

It's not really.

The game is pretty straight forward. Just do the starter stuff that teaches you how to use the system.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Alright, just did the training stuff. Took me like almost 10 minutes to figure out how to turn in the Academy Token to the training master *smacks forehead*

In on Solclaim as Fattronicus if anyone wants to shoot me a message and run around.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    But oh no, running away in a straight line and dying like a dumbass was the order of the day. :P

Strafing back and until you aggro a pack of Reedsharks. Good Times!

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Alright, just did the training stuff. Took me like almost 10 minutes to figure out how to turn in the Academy Token to the training master *smacks forehead*

In on Solclaim as Fattronicus if anyone wants to shoot me a message and run around.

Aye, that's one of those things that DOES make it a kind of long learning curve. If you'd never played an MMO before at all what they do is intuitive in its own right... but if you've played more modern MMOs where they've found more convenient ways to do these things (for instance, how World of Warcraft has "Quest screens" that automatically tally up/take quest items from you when needed), actually having to give the item to your quest person is extremely unintuitive by comparison to that. =(

The other thing that I think may be a big learning curve for brand new AC players is the fact that the game really gives you VERY little hint about where to go or what to do.

If you run into any of us in-game, we'll take you to the Olthoi Arcade where you can level up. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I was clicking on the trainer thinking "Why are you not taking my damn coin you bastard!?"

I got buffed up by Croft Lara and tried to find this Olthoi Arcade but all I found was a bunch of crap attacking me and some portal in a cave that looked like a skull. Google says the arcade is a quick jaunt east of Redtide (I think that's the name of the city) but damned if I could find anything. Hit level 6 killing random crap that kept swarming me so that's a bonus I suppose.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    To be honest, I think you'd be better served spending some time running around exploring and getting familiar with the game mechanics before you get dumped into the level grinder.

Just my 2 pyreals.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Perhaps, but it might be good for him to gain a few levels so he doesn't have to go around killing drudges. If for nothing than to avoid their horrible screeching.

I can't believe they still had that sound effect after all of these years. It's piercing. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I was clicking on the trainer thinking "Why are you not taking my damn coin you bastard!?"

I got buffed up by Croft Lara and tried to find this Olthoi Arcade but all I found was a bunch of crap attacking me and some portal in a cave that looked like a skull. Google says the arcade is a quick jaunt east of Redtide (I think that's the name of the city) but damned if I could find anything. Hit level 6 killing random crap that kept swarming me so that's a bonus I suppose.

red spire

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, I got Lifetank working, and indeed found out almost immediately that I can't really use it as envisioned without some level of life, creature, and item magic.

So I despecialized item, and trained life and creature, bringing me up to all three schools. From the points I'd put in Item I split it between all three, giving Creature 110 and the other two 100 in skill so far.

I've learned, as a result, that I'm either lacking Mana Conversion, Life Magic, Mana or Stamina required to keep up my mana supply enough to go through more than the first couple of buffs before the bot gets wrapped in an endless loop that leaves him drained of mana and stamina.

I'm guessing Mana Conversion is the problem. Would that be the best bet?

I've got 120 stamina, 140 mana, ManaC is at ~75, and the three magic branches are each at 100. What would be ideal to raise so that I can quickly let this thing get itself buffed (at least with III's... it seems to be enough to do the trick vs. creatures of my level. I won't be going after Olthoi soldiers with the bot =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Croft Lara sucks... she is never in holt when I play.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, I got Lifetank working, and indeed found out almost immediately that I can't really use it as envisioned without some level of life, creature, and item magic.

So I despecialized item, and trained life and creature, bringing me up to all three schools. From the points I'd put in Item I split it between all three, giving Creature 110 and the other two 100 in skill so far.

I've learned, as a result, that I'm either lacking Mana Conversion, Life Magic, Mana or Stamina required to keep up my mana supply enough to go through more than the first couple of buffs before the bot gets wrapped in an endless loop that leaves him drained of mana and stamina.

I'm guessing Mana Conversion is the problem. Would that be the best bet?

I've got 120 stamina, 140 mana, ManaC is at ~75, and the three magic branches are each at 100. What would be ideal to raise so that I can quickly let this thing get itself buffed (at least with III's... it seems to be enough to do the trick vs. creatures of my level. I won't be going after Olthoi soldiers with the bot =) )

Disable the option that tells it to cast revitalization (the spell that gives you stamina) and to use stamina or mana potions instead, be prepared to go through a lot of these, this should offset the loop i think you are talking about.

Once you get your mana Conversion up to a good level, your magics should be pretty high by this time too, you'll notice that as you cast revitalization you won't lose much mana, and it'll be pretty easy to just stam to mana, revit, revit, stam to mana making buffing a breeze.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Try the marketplace? Last time I played, there were tons of bots down @market. Not all of them free, but most are willing to trade notes and platinum scarabs for buffs.

Speaking of, I hear there are now level 8 spells. Anyone got the skinny on that?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Try the marketplace? Last time I played, there were tons of bots down @market. Not all of them free, but most are willing to trade notes and platinum scarabs for buffs.

Speaking of, I hear there are now level 8 spells. Anyone got the skinny on that?

Yeah, it's right here.

Level 8 spell scrolls are crafted, and the components needed aren't easy to obtain.
    During the Ancient Powers event, a new crafting system for level VIII spell scroll creation was introduced. Some of these spells were previously available on a small number of quest items, however many are brand new. The components (quills, inks, and glyphs) can only be obtained in the new highest tier treasure profiles which currently on appears in special chests and never drops on creatures as loot. Quills may be combined with the Mana Scarabs (which are also the casting scarab for level 8 spells and can be purchased from certain vendors) in order to craft infused quills. Infused quills may be crafted with inks to create a combination of the two. This combination may then be crafted with a glyph to create a level 8 scroll. All components involved in making a scroll (quill, mana scarab, ink, and glyph) are consumed in the process of successfully making a scroll.

All components may also be traded or sold to a vendor, and the scrolls may likewise be traded or sold to a vendor. If crafting something you expected to work fails, very likely the spell simply does not exist for level 8. You will not lose components upon failed crafting, and there is no skill associated with level 8 spell crafting, so feel free to experiment safely with the various components and see what you may accomplish!

The spells have a difficulty of 400, so if you have a buffed skill of 400 you'll fizzle 50% of the time.

Not all spells in the game have a level 8 version yet.
    Currently it is impossible to craft Creature Other Buffs, Life Other Buffs, Imperil, Self Debuffs, Defender, and Blood Drinker. Life vulns were added during Seeds of Corruption.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I was on the other day (and the day before), and no Croft Lara. Also, there were all of 8 bots in the marketplace. The place was empty. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, without Croft Lara and our allegiance bot (both were gone), I felt hamstrung. =)

Speaking of which, has everyone joined our allegiance? Usually we have a bot or two there (First Wizard and Azure Dragon... at least one is on, sometimes two), and a mansion that you can recall to.

Also, some bastard got the villa I was eyeing! Noooo! =) It was so pretty. =( I'm eyeing another one now on the southern coast. =)

Also, thanks for the advice! I'll do the switchover to potions. Luckily I've got a lot of strength, and I just want to gain XP. I already have more money than I know what to do with (23 M notes and 25 MMD notes).

VThornheart on