Options

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there a way to increase the font size? It's killing me. :P

Also, thanks for the advice! I'll do the switchover to potions. Luckily I've got a lot of strength, and I just want to gain XP. I already have more money than I know what to do with (23 M notes and 25 MMD notes).

I'd probably have more cash, but I just don't have the strength to carry loot out. I left the Arcade a little while ago with enough money to buy an MMD note, but I was at 150%. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ah =( If you need any dough, let me know! I'm pretty much just a big, strong guy with a mace, so I've been hauling out loot from places like there's no tomorrow =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah =( If you need any dough, let me know! I'm pretty much just a big, strong guy with a mace, so I've been hauling out loot from places like there's no tomorrow =)

That's alright... I have no use for cash right now. Thanks for the offer, tho. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aye, without Croft Lara and our allegiance bot (both were gone), I felt hamstrung. =)

Speaking of which, has everyone joined our allegiance? Usually we have a bot or two there (First Wizard and Azure Dragon... at least one is on, sometimes two), and a mansion that you can recall to.

Also, some bastard got the villa I was eyeing! Noooo! =) It was so pretty. =( I'm eyeing another one now on the southern coast. =)

Also, thanks for the advice! I'll do the switchover to potions. Luckily I've got a lot of strength, and I just want to gain XP. I already have more money than I know what to do with (23 M notes and 25 MMD notes).

My axeman on MT was item only for a while, and I had cooking trained. You could use cooking to make stamina rations that restore 100 stam each; they came in lightweight packs of dried rations, and when you used a cooking pot on them they turned into a stack of 25 (somewhat heavy) rations.

Good times!

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aye, without Croft Lara and our allegiance bot (both were gone), I felt hamstrung. =)

Speaking of which, has everyone joined our allegiance? Usually we have a bot or two there (First Wizard and Azure Dragon... at least one is on, sometimes two), and a mansion that you can recall to.

Also, some bastard got the villa I was eyeing! Noooo! =) It was so pretty. =( I'm eyeing another one now on the southern coast. =)

I still need to join, and where is marketplace?

I have no played for a long time :P

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I picked up the trail, for nostalgia's sake... has anybody had issues patching while running Vista 64-bit? It won't let me patch my game, I just keep getting this error:
    A problem occurred while patching: 0x80041008

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I picked up the trail, for nostalgia's sake... has anybody had issues patching while running Vista 64-bit? It won't let me patch my game, I just keep getting this error:

Might be a need to run as administrator thing. That, or try compatibility mode for winXP.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    seabass wrote: »

Might be a need to run as administrator thing. That, or try compatibility mode for winXP.

It's anti-virus. Apparently on Vista Asheron's Call hate's all AV programs except AVG. Once I uninstalled Avast it started patching.

What server we all playing on? Solclaim I imagine?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »

I still need to join, and where is marketplace?

I have no played for a long time :P

Just type /marketplace, and you'll teleport there. Same as /lifestone.

I need to get my item magic going, so I can set up my portal recall. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

When buffing I used to depend on Health to Mana and then a Healing Kit for buffing until my life got high enough to cast revite 5 and my mana conversion was pretty high. Check to see if Lifetank gives you that as an option.

Seg on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    haha, I have bad luck, no buff bots there either.

How much does your average level 7 run?

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Comahawk, if you need level 7 scrolls, I've been finding tons! Let me know, I can hook you up. =)

Also Seg, I haven't seen that as an option yet, but there's a CRAPLOAD of options... I get the feeling that I'm not seeing everything it can do.

Though I have had him down all day in the Tusker Barracks, and he's almost racked up enough Tusker Guard kills for that "kill 500 tuskers" quest. I'm at 460 and counting... basically I set his "attack radius" to 2 (at 1, he wouldn't attack anything... so 2 was the lowest value where he'd at least attack things next to him), and I set so that he should be "sticky" to a spot in the first hallway. It seems ideal: 90% of the creatures drop in the very short radius of looting, and he can go for hours doing it. this makes it much easier, and I can do things (like browse the forums) while it's doing the tedious stuff. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Closest I ever came to that kind of macroing was using InstaOg to level my mages magic schools. But if you are enjoying the game doing it, good on you.

Seg on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    this thread makes me itchy

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I usually find the concept of macros distasteful... but I have to admit, it's been nice to not have to devote my undivided attention to it... even just leaving myself casting somewhere safe every few minutes so I don't log out is nice, because apparently you have to be in game for 15 days in order to be able to get a villa... so I'm just going to let my character sit there until I can get it. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No, you don't have to have an in-game of 15 days; you just need to have your account active for 15 days. Your in-game time never comes into consideration.

It's so the 14-day free trial can't be used for housing grabs.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    OH!

I thought it meant... heh... oh.

Thanks, I was going to waste a lot of time buffing myself in the middle of nowhere. =) lol

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    OH!

Thanks, I was going to waste a lot of time buffing myself in the middle of nowhere. =) lol

Buffing yourself in a mana pool was how people used to level magic skills. If Turbine hasn't changed the way it works, you can do a buff sequence that gives you experience boosts to your skills by casting spells in a specific order. Basically you wait 7 to 8 minutes and then cast a level 1 spell a level 2 spell a level 3 spell and so on, and then you switch schools. If nothing else after 8 hours or so it makes your next point in a skill fairly cheap experience wise. But it is pretty costly component wise. That was how instaog worked. LifeTank may give you something similar.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Interesting! ... and tempting =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    OH!

Buffing yourself in a mana pool was how people used to level magic skills. If Turbine hasn't changed the way it works, you can do a buff sequence that gives you experience boosts to your skills by casting spells in a specific order. Basically you wait 7 to 8 minutes and then cast a level 1 spell a level 2 spell a level 3 spell and so on, and then you switch schools. If nothing else after 8 hours or so it makes your next point in a skill fairly cheap experience wise. But it is pretty costly component wise. That was how instaog worked. LifeTank may give you something similar.

Programs like that still exist, but they're largely useless these days due to other, more efficient options for gaining XP.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    OH!

Programs like that still exist, but they're largely useless these days due to other, more efficient options for gaining XP.

It was great for earning experience into magic skills while at school/sleeping/doing chores. Are there new ways to earn experience while afk that won't get you banned if you get caught?

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    OH!

It was great for earning experience into magic skills while at school/sleeping/doing chores. Are there new ways to earn experience while afk that won't get you banned if you get caught?

While AFK? Doubt it.

With the advent of buff bots casting level 7's for free, any low level character can spend an hour or two hunting and gain so much XP from it that the AFK casting just doesn't make sense.

I'm sure such a macro could still be used if someone is really determined, but spending days to attain what you can get in just a few hours of time now...

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think the assumption being worked on is that the casting bots are okay with Turbine, while combat bots aren't... so if you wanted an automated way of gaining XP, no one would fault you for using the magic casting bot to gain XP... but they would fault you if you used one for combat and they found out.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think the assumption being worked on is that the casting bots are okay with Turbine, while combat bots aren't... so if you wanted an automated way of gaining XP, no one would fault you for using the magic casting bot to gain XP... but they would fault you if you used one for combat and they found out.

Right; my contention is that the casting bot method has fallen out of favor because it's now so easy to gain XP in other ways, it's almost a complete waste of time to set one up.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ahh, I see what you mean.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well 5 minutes to start it when I was going to be afk for 8hours or more really wasn't all that much. But if nobody has kept instaog or something similar updated then spending several hours to code such a thing would be looked on as a waste of time by most.

Seg on
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wanted to get a instaog roll going just because i have 2 accounts and would love having my own personal buffbot. However, its really is almost pointless as the negative self buffs are gone and so are any mana pools that helped greatly with the mana regen. The negative self buffs contributed to xp pretty significantly.

That said i was hoping to have one character be an exclusive buffer/vulner but i can't find anyway to make the guy follow me around while running 2 windows at the same time. Wasn't there an autofollow slash command? Played to many MMORPG's so I don't remember D:

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I didn't know they had gotten rid of the Mana Pools.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, I haven't even been IN the meeting halls since I logged on. (Did anyone *ever* use them for anything other than those mana pools?)

Increasing magic skills is becoming more and more painful... almost a million points each to raise it, and I can JUST barely cast VI's. I get this feeling that my goal, to be able to self-buff with VII's so I won't need to go back to a buff bot periodically anymore, is not going to be realized anytime soon. =( As it stands, I seem to be failing about 70% of the time when I attempt to cast VI's, so I'm really only at level V. That was a ton of XP I poured into it too... ouch. =)

I think the real solution is going to have to involve playing tagalong with some of the really high level people for a bit, since all XP after level 50 is shared equally in fellowships. If they'll have me there, of course =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So I've been screwing around on a trail account. Made an Unarmed/Item Magic/Melee Defense Sho guy on Solclaim. Mostly been soloing around in what hunting spots I can remember from back at launch, though it appears some of the areas have had their level range changed.

Haven't used any buffbots or taken any handouts. Been having a pretty amusing time.

My main issue has been the fact that this game crashes like a motherfucker on my system. Dunno if that's just a 64-bit Vista thing or maybe it just doesn't like my graphics card, but god damn.
    Aye, I haven't even been IN the meeting halls since I logged on. (Did anyone *ever* use them for anything other than those mana pools?)

I did! When they were first introduced to the game there wasn't much in the way of botting/macroing yet, so most people didn't go in for the mana pools, which meant they were rarely used. So if I didn't have a friend online to help transfer loot to mules (much more important back then before they made the magic system ez-mode) I'd hide my stuff in one of them and grab my mule.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The allegiance I was a member of would use the meeting halls for guild meetings before the houses, villas and mansions were added.

My patrons patrons patron used to use the benches in there to train us for jumps needed in different dungeons. Learning how to control your jumping power was helpful for different things.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ahh, neat =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    speaking of the self debuffs, I'm sad that I accidently deleted Weaken 6 and Harm Self 6 and all the other self detrimental spells I had in my books, you can't learn them anymore :(

I think I deleted harm self 6 when I was running through SING caul and cleared my spell bar, got nailed by a biaka and went to find heal self and accidently killed myself.

Yeah... i think that was it.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lol, I can't blame you for that. =)

I'm surprised they bothered to get rid of them at all though. Was it because of situations like the one you had kept coming up or something? I thought it was neat flair for the magical system.

Then again, I also loved the concept of researching spells. That was a really neat idea to me, and I was sad to see it gone. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lol, I can't blame you for that. =)

I'm surprised they bothered to get rid of them at all though. Was it because of situations like the one you had kept coming up or something? I thought it was neat flair for the magical system.

Then again, I also loved the concept of researching spells. That was a really neat idea to me, and I was sad to see it gone. =(

I think it was because people used them to train magic defense. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    oh =) lol =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The best thing about the old Magic research system though, fizzle dancing.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    The best thing about the old Magic research system though, fizzle dancing.

A pack of characters in my old allegiance put together Aerobics outfits and would perform aerobics for the amusement of others.

Fizzle dancing may have been one of the greatest things ever.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    FYI - Today was patch day.

Info discovered thus far can be found here.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So, new question...

given that it seems after level 50 the easiest way to get XP is to sit with other allegiance members while someone kills absurdedly high level things, should I quit fighting against the grain to train Creature, Life and War magic and just go back to leveling my Mace skill?

I can see how they'd be useful so you can buff yourself once the time came... but apparently I used a calculator last night, and for me to buff any of those three so that I could cast VII's reliably I'd need to pump just over 4 billion XP into the given skill and/or attributes. =( Apparently since i spec'd as a fighter, I will never be able to cast VIII's, which I'm okay with... but 4 billion XP for one? Ouch. Maybe I should just go back into leveling my mace skill.

Does weapon skill give a bonus to the damage you do with that weapon too, by any chance? Because I think it's also about 4 billion to get Mace up to 400. But I get the feeling I'll get a lot more satisfaction spending 4 billion (if/when I ever get that much XP) on Mace rather than on abilities that'll let me cast buffs on myself.

VThornheart on