Options

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tycho remembered us! Check the news post on the front page! He mentioned Asheron's Call!

While I am excited for the KotoR MMO, it is good to see that Asheron's Call isn't forgotten by our Penny Arcade heroes for its incredible depth and storyline. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tycho remembered us! Check the news post on the front page! He mentioned Asheron's Call!

While I am excited for the KotoR MMO, it is good to see that Asheron's Call isn't forgotten by our Penny Arcade heroes for its incredible depth and storyline. =)

What he said is basically what I've felt every time Bioware's prattled on about their innovative design. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I like Bioware, don't get me wrong (I love them... they got me to PAX, and they're great people =) ), but indeed they'll have a lot of content to put in if they're going to approach Asheron's Call's level of plot and storyline. Ten years worth. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Shadow BanditShadow Bandit Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God, AC brings back so many good memories. I did the beta, became an advocate (complete with the sparkly shield), translated the entire magic school system (old schoolers know what I'm talking about) and did all kinds of crazy stuff. My first guy was a mage. It was convenient having item magic so I could pop back to Shoushi so I could put in my shift.

How many people remember the old magic system. Honestly, that was my favorite part of the game. I had a notebook of component translations, taper rotations and spells to research. There was nothing like the early days where people didn't know that many spells and you had one crazy mage who figured out summon portal and was making portals in town to the middle of the high level area. Man, that was fun.

I still remember the rules about how if more people used a spell, the weaker it was and some of the old allegiances that were built on the foundation of keeping their high level magic confined to the guild. And Diamond scarab spells, rings and walls.

But sadly, macros killed the game for me. I played until the end of the first story arc and it was great, but I doubt I can recapture those memories.

Shadow Bandit on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    God, AC brings back so many good memories. I did the beta, became an advocate (complete with the sparkly shield), translated the entire magic school system (old schoolers know what I'm talking about) and did all kinds of crazy stuff. My first guy was a mage. It was convenient having item magic so I could pop back to Shoushi so I could put in my shift.

How many people remember the old magic system. Honestly, that was my favorite part of the game. I had a notebook of component translations, taper rotations and spells to research. There was nothing like the early days where people didn't know that many spells and you had one crazy mage who figured out summon portal and was making portals in town to the middle of the high level area. Man, that was fun.

I still remember the rules about how if more people used a spell, the weaker it was and some of the old allegiances that were built on the foundation of keeping their high level magic confined to the guild. And Diamond scarab spells, rings and walls.

But sadly, macros killed the game for me. I played until the end of the first story arc and it was great, but I doubt I can recapture those memories.

I remember people putting those portals in the common byways, and people running into them on accident and dropping into nasty Olthoi nests. Awesome. That is the reason you have to click on the portals now. :lol:

Macros didn't kill it for me... my casual levelling killed it. I was too low to enjoy most of the content, so playing the game became a grind more than anything.

Once I am able to get back on (i.e. have the time), I really just want to get to level 50 or 60, and just explore again. I don't think I care about getting any higher, as long as I can run around most of the continent and just see what's out there. :)

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I remember people putting those portals in the common byways, and people running into them on accident and dropping into nasty Olthoi nests. Awesome. That is the reason you have to click on the portals now. :lol:

Macros didn't kill it for me... my casual levelling killed it. I was too low to enjoy most of the content, so playing the game became a grind more than anything.

Once I am able to get back on (i.e. have the time), I really just want to get to level 50 or 60, and just explore again. I don't think I care about getting any higher, as long as I can run around most of the continent and just see what's out there. :)

I was one of those crazy people who enjoyed researching magic. I can remember standing in the pool for a while trying to find the right taper combination, then the thrill when you finally casted your first "Armor V self" spell. Hell, even now I still remember a bunch of the spell comp words and the order. Scarab taper herb taper powder potion talisman

Shadow Bandit on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, spell research was 100% awesome. I was sad to see that it's gone. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It was tedious and annoying.

Some parts of it were fun, like fizzle dancing, but when you are leveling up your 5th character it was a pain the butt. Even using the Decal program that learned the spells for you automatically, it was still an annoying system.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    It was tedious and annoying.

Some parts of it were fun, like fizzle dancing, but when you are leveling up your 5th character it was a pain the butt. Even using the Decal program that learned the spells for you automatically, it was still an annoying system.

That is the funny thing about the magic system. Either you loved it or hated it. I personally loved it because it seemed like you were actually doing something. It wasn't the pouring over books kind of magical research that you would see an archmage do in a novel, but it did feel like you were investing something in your skill rather than being awarded it for getting to a certain level. Some of my best memories were with guildmates as we researched the different taper combos and finally getting something to work.

Shadow Bandit on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye... and I also liked the feeling that you may actually be learning something that no one else knew. Even if websites and other guides made that not true in practice, it made you *feel* that way, which was neat from a roleplaying and character association perspective.

Ack, I haven't been on in a while, I need to get back on. This week's been insane. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yah it was like that for the first few months. And when I first learned the process behind figuring out what your spells needed to cast I was excited. But after playing my 15th character to 30+ that used magic I had grown bored of it.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yah it was like that for the first few months. And when I first learned the process behind figuring out what your spells needed to cast I was excited. But after playing my 15th character to 30+ that used magic I had grown bored of it.

Wait, I thought taper combinations were based on your account name, not your character name. i.e. every character in your account has the same combination.

It's been a long time since I did any of the research (obviously), but that's what I recall...

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KiTA wrote: »

That's awesome. Hopefully they're able to come out with something that's more successful than Hellgate was.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm, I think you're right Shadowfire. If I'm not mistaken, they were the same. Though I could be wrong.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Wait, I thought taper combinations were based on your account name, not your character name. i.e. every character in your account has the same combination.

It's been a long time since I did any of the research (obviously), but that's what I recall...

You are right, but having to reference the piece of paper I had the combinations written on was just as tedious as having to stumble through the combinations. Even using that split pea or spilt bean or whatever it was didn't take away how tedious the whole thing was. Heck even the Decal plug-in that did the combos for you was frustrating to have to use.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah. I suppose that's true. But it was fun the first time at least. They should've made it so that subsequent characters, once they trained spells, got to automatically have the spells that other characters on your account had (since they couldn't cast it anyways). Basically that way you only had to do research/learning for one account. That way there'd still be that fun "first time research", or even "new spell research" period if they introduced more spells later.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KiTA wrote: »

That's awesome. Hopefully they're able to come out with something that's more successful than Hellgate was.

Hey, that's 15 minutes away from me!

Funky.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The original Asherons Call on the Darktide server was the most fun i've ever had in an MMO.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Join us! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm resubbing today after I deposit my paycheck.

I think i have some characters on Solclaim still...

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yay! =)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Resisting temptation. Between work, gym and volunteering, I don't have time for a real life much less a virtual one.

Shadow Bandit on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Resisting temptation. Between work, gym and volunteering, I don't have time for a real life much less a virtual one.

I would be fucked if the semester wasn't over. Between School, work, running my WoD campaign, and all the other shit I do I'll only be able to log in a couple times a week... but I havn't been this excited to play an MMO in a long time.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    It's okay, I think for the most part we've all been taking it pretty casually.

I definitely did NOT take it casually at first, but now I am. =) I actually haven't logged in in about a week or so, since life's gotten a bit busy.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So I started fucking around with a swordie (who's level 10 now), and I started going and getting the keys for the SOLL.

Rithwic dungeon? Fuck that place. I portal in, a mire wasp sees me, and I'm instantly back at the lifestone. One shotted.

Then, being the retard I am, I went back in... and I don't even finish portalling in before I'm killed.

Awesome. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lol =) Oy =)

Are you in the alliance yet? We got to get you guys in there.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Unfortunately I had to unsub again, this time for financial reasons rather than anything due to the game itself.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ack, I'm sorry citizen =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Can everyone who's playing AC list all their characters here? I have this feeling that I'm playing at the same time as everyone else and I don't realize it.

Here's mine:

Vendal Thornheart (lv. 82, MAIN)
    Xiaolin Enlai (lv. 22, LEVELING AS A TRADESKILL MULE)
    Zhou Enlai (~lv. 10 Mule)
    Shenaaz (~lv. 5 Mule)
    Callistalia (~lv. 5 Mule)

Also, we should definitely try to get all our mules to get in the alliance under each other, so we can increase our ranks. I'll put my mules under whoever wants them. The only person currently in the allegiance of mine is Vendal Thornheart, so the others are all up for swearing allegiance.

EDIT: Also, someone dropped an epically cool bow (regular, not crossbow sadly =( ) that does extra fire damage and has fire rending. Requires Bow 315, first person to talk to me in game that needs it can snag it from me.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kristopf - Lv 20ish Crossbowman
    Gaav - Lv 12 swordie

Das it.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    updating

• Options
    edited December 2008
    So... Mi Krau-li's Remastered Jitte is a demon of penultimate destruction. Finally went through the quest and got it tonight.

It gives me a warm, happy feeling to know that they actually made a quest jitte, and it is actually awesome and useful. It's like they somehow heard my cries for good jittes. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, i liked that i could use a Tungi on my axer and not suck

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, i has a Bendery (spear)

• Options
    edited December 2008
    I resubbed for you guys. So you have to get on eventually so we can play.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm coming on today, I'll add you to my friends list =)

I wish friends lists were shared between characters on an account. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Updated post #5 (my first post) with a character list. Anyone else I don't have on there?

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    We did a little SoLL run today. That was good times Shadowfire =)

Also, I've pretty much mastered the layout of Mi Krau-Li's labyrinth as of yesterday, so if anyone wants his improved or Remastered jitte (his remastered jitte, by the way, is awesome... even if it looks like an adult toy. =) ), hit me up and we'll run through it. =) Be sure to bring a pyreal bar and a dark revenant thighbone, or give me a tell and we can go hunting for said components too. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Good times tonight VT. Thanks for the help on the SoLL... and I'm glad we got you a new shield.

Seriously, though.. what happened to shields in the game? I mean, you had a problem finding a shield, but I remember my level 40 UA character having a 230ish AL shield years ago. :|

For anyone else in here who's interested, I still have a set of keys for the SoLL quest. If you're a swordie (or a melee who wants a good shield), we can organize another run.

Shadowfire on