Options

Asheron's Call: Nine Years of Killing Olthoi

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aye, being a melee it's harder for me to toss a drain to get back life =( I think I'm going to have to get that aegis shield, mainly because it looks cool. =) The actual amount of damage it reduces won't be enough to really fix my primary "I die from magic" problem, but at least it looks cool. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aye, being a melee it's harder for me to toss a drain to get back life =( I think I'm going to have to get that aegis shield, mainly because it looks cool. =) The actual amount of damage it reduces won't be enough to really fix my primary "I die from magic" problem, but at least it looks cool. =)

I found myself avoiding casters as often as I could with my melees. As a bow user I could dodge caster bolts fairly easy, but with my melees it was much harder to do so. I ended up breaking my attack and using healing kits a lot. Drudges, Banderlings, Virindi and undead I hated fighting them with melees.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aye, I'm with you on that... I've been mostly hunting Olthoi. But the experience is definitely better with those fiuns... so I'll have to give it a go. Thanks Aphostile, by the way, for helping me get the aegis last night! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aye, I'm with you on that... I've been mostly hunting Olthoi. But the experience is definitely better with those fiuns... so I'll have to give it a go. Thanks Aphostile, by the way, for helping me get the aegis last night! =)

No worries, VT. I found out later that you can go to a 90+ part of the dungeon and kill a little bit higher level fiuns for around 200k a pop. But that part of the dungeon is majorly camped/macroed and also majorly small. Guess the fellow gets around 60-70 mil an hour though there.

I've been trying to find quests to go on and do, but I don't know how hard they are. Haha.

Blooded_Platinum_Invader_Lord_Helm_Live.jpg

I want to get that goofy looking helm, "Blooded Platinum Invader Lord Helm".

Casts: Aura of Deflection, Aura of Defense, Major Endurance, Major Strength, Aliester's Blessing, Aura of Resistance, Brogard's Defiance with 320 base al

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Whoa, how do you get that? It looks awesome =)

I'm almost level 90, 17.9 mil xp away. Which feels so far, until I think about the 1.6 BILLION I am away from getting 400 mace. =) lol

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, I've got to quit again. It was starting to take over parts of my life again that I didn't want it to take over this time. So deliciously addictive.

But I've got to cut myself off of the sugar. If you see anyone in-game from the allegiance, let them know that I'm sorry but I can't go back. I've got to stop living my life in these fantasy worlds.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, I've got to quit again. It was starting to take over parts of my life again that I didn't want it to take over this time. So deliciously addictive.

But I've got to cut myself off of the sugar. If you see anyone in-game from the allegiance, let them know that I'm sorry but I can't go back. I've got to stop living my life in these fantasy worlds.

I feel the same way about pretty much every MMORPG I try these days.

No worries VThorn. Part of getting older I think :P

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aye =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Um. Hm. Apparently Last month on the 19th I resubscribed then promptly forgot about it.

So, anything I need to know about logging into the game? I'm trying to use my old client (aclauncher.exe, dated 7/22/05) but no matter what I use as a login name/password it rejects me, saying to try again later.

KiTA on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Um. Hm. Apparently Last month on the 19th I resubscribed then promptly forgot about it.

So, anything I need to know about logging into the game? I'm trying to use my old client (aclauncher.exe, dated 7/22/05) but no matter what I use as a login name/password it rejects me, saying to try again later.

Try downloading the free trial client, as it includes the Dark Majesty and Throne of Destiny expansions.

You don't actually have to use the trial account, and it's a full copy of AC. Once it's installed, fire it up, let it update and log in with your account.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Downloaded, but not installed yet. I really should, but been busy. Is the new PA alliance still busy?

KiTA on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Downloaded, but not installed yet. I really should, but been busy. Is the new PA alliance still busy?

I think we all quit weeks ago. The Nostalgia usually doesn't last long, see you in six months whooo

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think we all quit weeks ago. The Nostalgia usually doesn't last long, see you in six months whooo

This seems to be the way it goes for PAers on these old games. Pretty much how it went on Vanguard, at least: People get all excited, lots of dudes show up and we have a grand ol' time for a few weeks... then everyone starts to remember how this game really doesn't compare to new stuff and people drift away.

AC was an awesome game in it's day, but that day is long past. It's too bad all the great mechanics it has can't be brought into something more modern, because I think then that we'd have a real winner on our hands.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

This seems to be the way it goes for PAers on these old games. Pretty much how it went on Vanguard, at least: People get all excited, lots of dudes show up and we have a grand ol' time for a few weeks... then everyone starts to remember how this game really doesn't compare to new stuff and people drift away.

AC was an awesome game in it's day, but that day is long past. It's too bad all the great mechanics it has can't be brought into something more modern, because I think then that we'd have a real winner on our hands.

I still enjoy AC in small chunks. Actually logged in last night and played a little bit. I don't really have the heart to macro or anything so I don't mind it too much.

AC can't be brought forward, in my opinion. Death penalties that actually exist, losing your items a possibility, not linear, quests not explicitly laid out in front of you with glowing dots to lead you to your next point, etc etc.

In this WoW-world, AC can't stand up. But not many can anyways.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aphostile wrote: »

I still enjoy AC in small chunks. Actually logged in last night and played a little bit. I don't really have the heart to macro or anything so I don't mind it too much.

AC can't be brought forward, in my opinion. Death penalties that actually exist, losing your items a possibility, not linear, quests not explicitly laid out in front of you with glowing dots to lead you to your next point, etc etc.

I don't know, AC's death penalty is pretty minor and easily managed once you learn how.

That said, I got very good at managing my situation when out hunting/questing to avoid needless trips to the lifestone. My main character had less than 80 deaths in a three year span. Most of my friends were well into the 200-300+ range.

The only areas where I feel AC falls short:

-Graphics (obviously)
    -Quest logging (there is none)
    -Combat Abilities (I like having a variety of abilities to use, rather than just attack speed and high/middle/low)

And I'd still be playing if I weren't having incredible financial difficulties. :lol:

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

If it helps, it wasn't lack of desire that caused me to stop personally... I was starting to get re-addicted like the old days. Forsaking meals and sleep for it. I had forgotten how deeply addictive the game was, and I had to break myself away from it. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »

I don't know, AC's death penalty is pretty minor and easily managed once you learn how.

That said, I got very good at managing my situation when out hunting/questing to avoid needless trips to the lifestone. My main character had less than 80 deaths in a three year span. Most of my friends were well into the 200-300+ range.

The only areas where I feel AC falls short:

-Graphics (obviously)
    -Quest logging (there is none)
    -Combat Abilities (I like having a variety of abilities to use, rather than just attack speed and high/middle/low)

And I'd still be playing if I weren't having incredible financial difficulties. :lol:

I agree with your points in regards to how AC could be modernized, but you left off what is for me, the number 1 thing that needs updating. Interface. AC's feels so much clunkier after getting used to newer MMOs, they never even added mouse camera control.

Turbine has expressed interest in making an MMO for consoles, and I am hoping its a new Asheron's Call if they are. Instead of trying to mimic WoW like every other MMO and feeling dumbed down for consoles in the process, they could update Asheron's Call, as I could easily see it in its current form working on a gamepad, and then modernize it from there keeping in mind a gamepad control scheme.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, AC for consoles could work, but with EQOA (remember that disaster?) crashing and burning -- and basically heralding the end of EQ being the dominant force in MMORPGdom -- they might have been scared off.

But yeah, AC for the Wii. Update the graphics a bit, make it a bit more rounded, maybe cell-shaded. Maybe add some special abilities, such as finishers or critical hits or something. New UI of some kind. No waggle. It could work.

Wiimote + Nunchuck, for example. You could have the nunchuck handle movement and jumping and combat toggle. Use an Onscreen UI with the Wiimote side. For example, hold B and then use a Secret of Mana style wheel UI to select hotkeys. Use the A button to target hilighted objects. The D pad could control combat styles (high / low, speed). + button to open up a menu with your items, making the Wiimote a mouse temporarily.

Could work. Will never happen, but could work.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    "Thank you for contacting Turbine Account Support. Please note that our hours of operation have changed. We are currently open Monday to Friday, 4 PM to 8 PM Eastern Standard time. Thank you for calling and have a nice day. -Message Repeats-"

I'm getting "Authentication Failed, Try again later." when I logon with my correct password. I know it's correct as trying to logon with gibberish gets me a different error. I have changed my password on the system and the changes take effect. It's only once it starts trying to patch that I get the problem. Gotten 2 bills for AC already....

Tried uninstalling and deleting the entire folder before a reinstall, no change.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    "Thank you for contacting Turbine Account Support. Please note that our hours of operation have changed. We are currently open Monday to Friday, 4 PM to 8 PM Eastern Standard time. Thank you for calling and have a nice day. -Message Repeats-"

I'm getting "Authentication Failed, Try again later." when I logon with my correct password. I know it's correct as trying to logon with gibberish gets me a different error. I have changed my password on the system and the changes take effect. It's only once it starts trying to patch that I get the problem. Gotten 2 bills for AC already....

Tried uninstalling and deleting the entire folder before a reinstall, no change.

I've heard they're good about answering emails very quickly. Or just call them in half an hour.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good grief Asheron's Call is great. So much nostalgia. I've slain so many Olthoi... So many... :cry: I played on a non-pvp server and met some really great people who helped me get started. I remember there were a lot of player bots, and I got a LOT of enjoyment from exploring the world. I would run my own server (using the cruddy server emulator software available at the time), crank my stats up to max, and just run around the world. It was huge and it had depth and feeling. I don't understand why other MMO's have followed Asheron's Call in that example.

I wish it didn't cost $13 a month though.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If they ever decide to do a lifetime sub, I'll hit that like Izanami on a sake bender. But I think that time is past...

I do hope someday Turbine decides to make a "new AC", with AC style gameplay and modern graphics/UI enhancements...

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would kill a puppy for a New AC that actually felt like an AC sequel where AC2 did not. AC being my first MMO, and many fond memories of it, I constantly try to think of ways to modernize its character system of varying degrees of relative success though none will ever actually see the light of day, I brainstorm anyways. MMO players would want something more than just auto-attack with a Speed/Power and attack height slider, though they should still stay anyways.

In my mind the best idea I've had is one of the simplest, take AC's attributes and skills, and add a 3rd layer of customization on top of them, rip the feats straight out of modern D&D, with varying requirements based on the AC system(Attributes, skill levels, character levels, race, etc). Some would be passive, many would be active skills to be used in combat. Magic users would likely get more passives since their skills are their spells, and spells should still be separate from feats. Things like bonuses to certain types of spell damage and what not.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    one of the things i really enjoyed about AC was just the ability to explore the main land. You got to a reasonable level where you could run fast enough, and you did not have to worry too much about getting killed while just dicking around and exploring.

Which is something I don't think any game I've played since has been able to do. Also, travel is not so constricting. games like Wow, sure, wide expanses and it's pretty... but you are pretty much rail roaded from map entrance to map entrance.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    one of the things i really enjoyed about AC was just the ability to explore the main land. You got to a reasonable level where you could run fast enough, and you did not have to worry too much about getting killed while just dicking around and exploring.

Which is something I don't think any game I've played since has been able to do. Also, travel is not so constricting. games like Wow, sure, wide expanses and it's pretty... but you are pretty much rail roaded from map entrance to map entrance.

In UO you could explore the whole map without constraints, it was pretty fun. Me and my brother had some pretty wacky adventures, they included pirating. Some people left their boats unlocked so we would take them. Then we would find another boat unlocked and then take that was well. We would then take each ship out into the middle of the ocean, set them off in one direction, and then jump off from one ship onto the other. If positioned correctly it would circle the world and keep going until somebody stops it.

Good times, good times.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So.

Yeah.

Turbine still hasn't fixed me. This is... weird. I hope it's not a portent of Turbine having internal troubles.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I've heard they're good about answering emails very quickly. Or just call them in half an hour.

They finally replied after I updated the ticket last week going "Hey guys, it's been a week, any ideas?" Gave me a free month of access and apologized for the "severe turnaround due to the busy time of year" and fixed this "known issue", or somesuch.

How busy can they be, if they're only open like 3 hours a day?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't meant to be all necromantic and bring this thread back. But! I am thinking of going back to AC for a little while. Everything else is just crap.

Anyone else want to join me?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If it went F2P in a manner similar to DDO I'd jump right on board.

But for a number of reasons (at least one of them financial)...as much as I love AC I can't see me paying for it anymore.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm not playing again. You can't make me!

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I really want to play this again, but I know I will just get disappointed again like the last few times I've gone back to it. I loved the game in its first few years, but since then I have played many other MMOs, and the thing about AC that always bugs me when I play it again is the interface. Its just clunky and outdated at this point, and the population is severely lacking. I want to love the game again, I really do. Hopefully the tenth anniversary patch later this year will do amazing things.

Still, it saddens me that the vast majority of modern MMOs follow the EQ mold, especially since WoW popularized it, and we still have yet to see a modern successor to AC or UO.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thats true Eele. But just today, I logged in, and ran around the wilds finding a great new cottage (my old one dropped). Found it, and recovered some 29 falacot trinkets for free!

Yeah the interface is clunky, but...to me thats really minor. I actually find it easier to navigate then things like WAR, where I can have 8 windows up at once, and still not find the thing I am looking for. I did have a great time today though. I got killed deep in a dungeon, and ran back with 3 people from my allegiance and ripped the dungeon apart to get the body.

There's new equipment, updated textures, new armor styles (since the last "Lets Play"). Population is low, but according to my monarchy its in the 500's daily, and prior to the summer, Solclaim was clocking 2000 at peak times on weekends. Then again, I like small pop games more then large games. Gives you a chance to get lost, but still know most of the population.

As for the 10th anniversary...all I gotta say is in the preview video, they have a 2 handed sword. Game over, I'll love it.

I am thinking I'm going to stick with it for as long as possible. There's nothing good on the horizon, and very little offers me the freedom I want in a game, yet still the guidance, that I get from AC. It doesn't lead me around by the nose from quest hub to quest hub, but lets me build my own character, and progress it how I wish.

Only thing that could pull me away from AC this time is that new Star Wars MMO, but even that...I am weary of. Because as you said, "WoW popularized it".

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I loved AC when it was first released. Every time this thread pops up and I go back, I end up grinding some warrior to lvl 100 in about a week and the remembering that the game just isn't what it used to be.

Are the monthly quest arcs still great?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes. They are Seabass. But the game is better then it used to be, you just have to get out and go experience the content. If you just want to level...yeah it will seem boring after a while. But thats why they have the UCM programs...so you don't have to be bored by the leveling, and can then go out and experience the metric fuck-ton of content.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Last time I re-upped, I did the Frore quest line, which was just awesome.

Whats the current arc, if you don't mind telling us. Were the virindi ever explained?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Weeeelllll. The Virindi line came to a climax with Arebax. A 4 armed Virindi who came to the center of the Obsidian plains on a giant floating platform of doom. The players figured out the quest line to access him, and killed him. There was much death. Since the platform was instanced. If you died, you could not get your body back, you could also fall off the platform, and no one could get your body, at all. It was one of the first events to force people to actually work together (mages healing, melee's tanking, archers DPSing/clearing trash spawn). What happened after that, I do not know.

The Arebax quest is still doable, and the rewards are good. Its a hugely elaborate quest that involves using huge parties. Sort of like an AC version of a raid. During this arc we all learned that the Virindi are like the borg. Using a collective consciousness called the Quiddity. Arebax was separated from this Quiddity, and was driven to insanity, but also gained unprecedented power in the process. He started a rebellion, and his arrival in the Obsidian plains was his debut, in the flesh, to claim the world for himself (or something along those lines).

The current arc is, strangely enough, moarsmen. Its a pretty weak arc, but thats because they are in the process of just adding things to the end game, and giving people in the 180+ range tons of options and stuff to do. Recently added where Societies. These are player factions you join, they provide quests to gain status in the faction, and then get special (stats and image) armor/items. Societies will be worked in to most story arcs in the future apparently, and you need to join one in order to fully appreciate what's to come in the future.

Even more recent then Societies that was added, was the Mana Forged Keys. As we all know Turbine loves to use chests and special keys to deliver new and powerful loot tables to the players. As such they added these special keys and treasure rooms. You go on quests, get special keys (some are old quests that have had these tacked on as rewards, to get you to do the old, and fun, quests), and then go pick your chest, and hope. There are special chests divided into 3 levels. Shard, Mana Forged, Advanced. Each one hits a different loot table, with a small chance to bleed over into the next higher one. Then they are subdivided by item type.

Armor, Weapons, Equipment. You pop the chest, and gather your loot. I have opened about 3 so far, and gotten 4 majors, 2 epics, and 3 level 8 spell components. Oh thats right, level 8 spells are out. I don't know much about them yet, as I am a melee character.

Mana forged keys give everyone access to great loot. No longer are the keys a form of trade (a la sing keys), because everyone can get them. Just go on a few quests, and hope you get something good from your key. They have done a good job of removing the elitism caused by Sing keys.

Honestly, if anyone is interested in coming back, its a good time. 10th anniversary patch is on the horizon, which will bring tons of goodies. Theres so much new content, its almost a new game once you hit level 180+. I know I can help set people up to do that grind from 1-180 in about 2 weeks if you really don't object to using UCM's.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    stop talking stop talking stop talking

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well I have it installed again... See what you made me do. Haven't resubscribed yet though...but now its sitting there, waiting

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, since you will come back, I'm on Solclaim, character name is Crusix.

Just let me know when you get back in, I'll get you set up with some newbie gear, get you sworn into the monarchy, and get you rockin and rolling.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I got littwentythree all set up today and started him on the grind back to the glory of AC.

In the time while he was tooling around killing olthoi I went on an adventure that exemplifies what I am talking about.

Theres a quest that got updated. Saving Asheron. If you complete this quest you get a 4 use Mana Forged Key, and 256 million XP. This quest has a 27 day timer, and is pretty hard.

As such we had 5 full fellowships rolling this quest. There where so many people there that it was impossible to die. We stormed down the halls of this dungeon like a German Blitzkrieg. Everything fell before our mighty blades and magic. There where 50 people clamoring to kill anything that moved. One guy missed a jump and died, as he started to say "oh screw it, I'll go later", the leader (and a vast majority of the people there) called out to the entire group: "Everyone turn around, since we are all going to be on the same timer, I'm not having one guy miss this chance and have to wait a month to get his key!" We all cheered and turned around, killed our way back up to the portal, dead guy came back, and we surrounded him and lead him down to his body (he had dropped some armor, forgot some DI's apparently). Then we carried on and finished the quest. Everyone got their reward.

It was just a great showing of community and friendship. We all scheduled to do it again the Sunday after the timers are up, since it was so successful this time.

Its a great time to play AC, I've never experienced something of that caliber. Not since my days in EQ when there where guild corpse runs.

Anon the Felon on